Author Topic: How much longer can DT................  (Read 1709 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

How much longer can DT................
« on: January 16, 2023, 03:24:27 PM »
.........carry on with JLB? He just can't hack it LIVE anymore. It's not a disgrace or any disrespect towards JLB. It's age just catching up with him. If I'm JP, and I want to continue for another 5-10 years, they MUST find a replacement before this gets REALLY out of hand. Sorry to all the JLB lovers, but it's time to move on.

Offline goo-goo

Re: How much longer can DT................
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 03:34:54 PM »
If you are judging James' performance by the Tel Aviv shows, then I think it's bad in doing that. He usually needs some time to get to a good level when touring. I think he is still good and I don't see the need to replace him anytime soon.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:39:53 PM »
I seriously, seriously do not think it's fair to judge if James can hack it or not based on the opening night of a tour, where they are clearly experiencing a raft of technical issues. Let's see how he fares by the time we're a few nights into this leg, and he's had some shows without any microphone related shenanigans under his belt. I think we'll find he's performing much better by then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
If you are judging James' performance by the Tel Aviv shows, then I think it's bad in doing that. He usually needs some time to get to a good level when touring. I think he is still good and I don't see the need to replace him anytime soon.

Did he improve last year as the touring went on?  I only really saw the Rio show and it wasn't good IMO, but hoping things did improve for him.

I was a big part of this discussion last year and there were people who agreed and some who didn't.  I love James, he came in at number 2 in my top 25 singer list, and while the band are nearing the back part of their career and it's hard to see him getting replaced, it's not a great look to leave a legacy on.  I still honestly think they could just pick better songs more appropriate for him to make it easier to stomach.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 04:06:48 PM »
The band members love the guy. Sure, he's not a great live singer anymore when you listen on youtube, but he sounds fine on the albums and in the moment of performance, he does his job at the concert and fans leave happy. They're nearing 60, have been friends for 30 years, and probably don't want to boot the guy for some soundalike when they know they're at the twilight of their career and have nothing left to prove anyway. This conversation is as pointless and dull as "I wish MP would come back so the music would be good again". He's their bandmate and lifelong friend and they're not going to kick him out. If he chooses to leave, then maybe. But stop watching youtube videos if it annoys you that much

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 04:33:42 PM »
I just don't see him getting any better as he gets older and he has been going downhill for the last few years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 05:08:16 PM »
I am torn as I cannot imagine Dream Theater without James, but after seeing the many clips from last year's tour, I kind of decided that I was done with DT as a live act unless things change, and that was before seeing a clip of James' poor performance from the other night (which makes it even more unlikely that I go see them any time soon).  It sucks to see a once-great singer struggling this badly, one who is one of my favorite singers ever, but, again, I cannot imagine them with any other singer.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 05:17:12 PM »
It is a tough one and I share similar views to Kev. I also don't think I will ever see DT live again with James as the singer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 05:22:55 PM »
I wouldn't go that far, not at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »

Did he improve last year as the touring went on?  I only really saw the Rio show and it wasn't good IMO, but hoping things did improve for him.

I was a big part of this discussion last year and there were people who agreed and some who didn't.  I love James, he came in at number 2 in my top 25 singer list, and while the band are nearing the back part of their career and it's hard to see him getting replaced, it's not a great look to leave a legacy on.  I still honestly think they could just pick better songs more appropriate for him to make it easier to stomach.

Saw them twice during The Astonishing (phenomenal performances) and also during this last A View US run and he was top notch. I do agree that James has more off nights than good/great nights but he has been like that historically speaking but this doesn't mean he has to be replaced by another singer. He still sings at a top level.

I believe his phrasing has improved over the years though. There were many times where I was like WTF is he saying.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 05:39:41 PM by goo-goo »

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 05:38:24 PM »

If Geoff Tate was able to turn it around and make a massive improvement at this stage of his career, I have faith James can too. And even if not, I will keep seeing them live and loving everything they do on stage - James included. Here's hoping for at least another 15 years of DT!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 05:40:59 PM »
Here we go again...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 05:43:38 PM »
Whether you like James or not, arguing that "he can't hack it anymore" crosses the line of bashing the band.  You don't have to like his live performances, but that goes a bit too far.  He obviously thinks he can hack it, as does the band, and a lot of the fans who attend the shows.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."