Kansas
5 (17.2%)
Pink Floyd
8 (27.6%)
Other (Specify In Your Reply)
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 15, 2023, 01:39:33 PM

Author Topic: Which Band Survivor should I do next? (Pick TWO!)  (Read 1043 times)

Offline The Letter M

Which Band Survivor should I do next? (Pick TWO!)
« on: January 08, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »
Now that my Genesis Survivor is wrapping up, I'm thinking about tackling another classic prog rock group but I'm not sure who to go for next.

Of the more prominent ones, the only other bands I'm mostly familiar with would be Yes, and possibly King Crimson, Kansas, and ELP. I also wouldn't mind doung Pink Floyd either. Just to get an idea of what might be best received, I'm letting you all pick TWO options and if there is a tie, I can just decide later on

Here is a poll to see which of these band people here would be most interested in participating in a Survivor. Hopefully I could see the same numbers of voters as I did in the Genesis Survivor! I'll leave this poll open for a week so everyone has a chance to see it!

-Marc
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

Re: Which Band Survivor should I do next? (Pick TWO!)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 02:49:23 PM »
How long has it been since the last Haken?

I voted PF and other (Haken)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:12:58 PM »
How long has it been since the last Haken?

I voted PF and other (Haken)

Looks like the last one was by Elite in 2018 - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53008.msg2486262#msg2486262

And it seems Elite ran it pretty regularly so I wouldn't want to step on his toes and run it without his permission. Haken would be nice but I would probably wait til a few months after Fauna came out just so everyone could digest it. If Elite doesn't decide to do one later this year, I might pick it up.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 04:36:39 PM »
I picked Yes and Marillion. Don't know the others on your list well enough to participate

Offline HOF

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 06:53:38 PM »
I voted Crimson and promptly failed to select Other for my second vote. I’d be all over a Marillion one if you did it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 10:15:38 PM »
Yes and Kansas are the only two in which I'd have any interest.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 11:55:30 PM »
King Crimson would actually be really cool. I don't remember the last time we did that.  :tup

EDIT: I forgot to throw the second vote, but I'd enjoy Yes and Pink Floyd survivors as well. If you happen to do a Marillion one, I'd participate in the first eight albums.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:02:49 AM by Mladen »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 12:20:07 AM »
I’ve heard a grand total of two King Crimson albums. Specifically, the first two. I’ve been meaning to hear more… but I wouldn’t have enough knowledge to participate.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 12:26:35 AM »
Pink Floyd and other (Big Big Train, if possible).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 02:50:56 AM »
Yes would be the only band I have enough familiarity with…

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 06:20:38 AM »
Out of all of these, Pink Floyd is the band I’m most familiar with the discography of. As far as prog bands are concerned, Haken would be the non-DT band I’m most familiar with, but I assume if that survivor does happen it will be after their new album comes out.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 08:10:56 AM »
So far, it seems like Yes and Pink Floyd are in the lead, but also a few mentions of Haken. As said above, I wouldn't mind doing Haken if Elite isn't going to run the Survivor this year, but it would definitely be 3-4 months after Fauna comes out.

Between Yes and Pink Floyd, I am definitely more familiar with Yes, but I think Pink Floyd might draw more participants, especially from Meddle onward. If both are highly requested, I don't mind doing both this year. If both top this poll, each one would probably take as long as my Genesis Survivor did (at least four months), and by that time, I would probably start the Haken Survivor (again, assuming Elite isn't going to run it).

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far! Hope more members come through here and put in their votes/suggestions!

-Marc.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 08:23:26 AM »
Yes and Marillion for me as well.  ELP would've been cool, but for me, I don't think their catalog is strong enough.  I don't see any reason why there should be two winners and an honorable mention from Love Beach or In the Hot Seat, for example.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 03:12:13 PM »

As one of, if not THE biggest fan of BBT here on this forum, I would love nothing more than to do a BBT Survivor, but I fear I wouldn't get more than 3 or 4 voters, maybe 5 tops during the more recent albums. I think if we could convince at least 6 total voters to maintain consistent participation, I would consider it. With fourteen studio albums, some EPs and singles, and two early demos (which might not be included anyway), it's a LOT of music to cover, but I would love to do it.

Yes and Marillion for me as well.  ELP would've been cool, but for me, I don't think their catalog is strong enough.  I don't see any reason why there should be two winners and an honorable mention from Love Beach or In the Hot Seat, for example.

You've got a point. Their latter albums would not be as popular during the survivor, even if I included things like 3 and ELPowell to spice things up a bit. I just threw ELP up there because they're usually regarded as one of the forerunners of the classic 70s prog movement and wanted to see if anyone was interested in them at all, but it seems like that's a no!  :lol

-Marc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 12:09:58 AM »

As one of, if not THE biggest fan of BBT here on this forum, I would love nothing more than to do a BBT Survivor, but I fear I wouldn't get more than 3 or 4 voters, maybe 5 tops during the more recent albums. I think if we could convince at least 6 total voters to maintain consistent participation, I would consider it. With fourteen studio albums, some EPs and singles, and two early demos (which might not be included anyway), it's a LOT of music to cover, but I would love to do it.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be that many BBT listeners here. Sadly I would only be able to participate in the David Longdon albums myself, I've not heard their earlier stuff yet.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2023, 11:56:58 AM »
Obviously I’m in for BBT. Everyone who participated for Genesis should check BBT out anyway IMO.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
It's looking like a YES Survivor might be on its way next, so I with that in mind, I will be prepping for it over the weekend and possibly start it up on Monday evening. Hopefully I can get at least 9-10 participants throughout the whole thing (yes, even during their 90s-and-beyond albums). Like with the Genesis Survivor, I'll be running multiple albums at once just to speed up the process, but I'll have all that worked out over the weekend.

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 02:43:55 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks, Marc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 03:33:57 PM »
It's looking like a YES Survivor might be on its way next, so I with that in mind, I will be prepping for it over the weekend and possibly start it up on Monday evening. Hopefully I can get at least 9-10 participants throughout the whole thing (yes, even during their 90s-and-beyond albums). Like with the Genesis Survivor, I'll be running multiple albums at once just to speed up the process, but I'll have all that worked out over the weekend.

-Marc.

Thanks Marc. I think Yes should go pretty quick since their 70's albums only have a few songs each

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2023, 04:25:18 PM »

-Marc.

Thanks Marc. I think Yes should go pretty quick since their 70's albums only have a few songs each

Right?  Close to the Edge will take only two rounds!   :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 10:13:29 AM »
Unlike the Genesis survivor, you can count on me for the entire ride with the Yes survivor. I'll do my best even with Open your eyes and stuff like that.  ;D

By the way, when was the last time we did a Yes survivor?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2023, 12:25:02 PM »
Unlike the Genesis survivor, you can count on me for the entire ride with the Yes survivor. I'll do my best even with Open your eyes and stuff like that.  ;D

By the way, when was the last time we did a Yes survivor?

The last one was ran in 2016 by IDontNotDoThings, so it's been over six years and probably time for a new one.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2023, 02:22:02 PM »
I won’t be able to do the very early Yes albums or the 90s and onward releases, but I think I can participate for the bulk of a Yes survivor.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 01:23:58 PM »
Looks like Yes and Pink Floyd have tied, but I think a Yes Survivor mind do better right now (at least for me). So, very shortly, I'll be posting the master thread for the survivor with some questions about what to include and how to run it, etc. It'll be run quite similarly to the Genesis Survivor that I just finished!

Thanks for everyone who voted in this poll and after the Yes Survivor is done, I'll definitely do Pink Floyd, so please come back later this year for that one!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2023, 04:11:14 PM »
With my Yes Survivor almost over, I figured I'd pop this thread back up to see what else folks were interested in.

If given Elite's blessing, I'll run a Haken Survivor, which hasn't had one here since 2018 and the release of Vector, so there will be two more albums since then!

Otherwise, my next BIG Survivor might be Pink Floyd or Kansas. Both bands have over 15 albums, so it'll run about as long as my Genesis or Dream Theater Survivors were in recent years. Hopefully folks here would be interested in either of those, or Haken if that's next!

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2023, 04:54:49 PM »
The only one of those I'd have any interest in is Kansas.

Offline DTA

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2023, 06:32:34 PM »
I wouldn't be able to do Kansas or PF, but yes to Haken.