Author Topic: The Last of Us (HBO)  (Read 10309 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Last of Us (HBO)
« on: January 15, 2023, 10:02:36 PM »
Halfway through EP 1,this is fucking intense.

On HBO Max, starring Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey from GoT.

Finished the first episode.. This is gonna be a good one..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:56:00 PM by lonestar »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Last of Us (HBO)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 11:54:22 PM »
Insanely excited for this show. The games are among the very best of storytelling in video games, the writer of the games is one of the two showrunners (the other being the guy who made Chernobyl, which was also incredible), and reviews have been amazing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 02:28:31 AM »
It'll be nice to see a video game adaptation that is actually good for a change. But yes, Pedro + Chernobyl leads made this an instant win for me.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 03:29:43 AM »
The first episode was amazing. That first half hour destroyed me just like it did in the game. The long runtime was spot on too, they paced it perfectly to introduce all the key characters and ideas and really set up this season.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 03:59:45 AM »
That was a great start.  Only minor concern is the Ellie seems older in the show.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 05:55:39 AM »
Full disclosure I never played the game, so the whole thing is new to me

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 06:01:21 AM »
That was a great start.  Only minor concern is the Ellie seems older in the show.
The actress is older but she looks young so I think the character is still very much a teen. Not a concern anyway if they've made her slightly older than in the game, and also means they can move on to season 2/TLOU2 without having to recast or wait ages.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:30:32 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 06:35:52 AM »
The actress is older but she looks young so I think the character is still very much a teen. Not a concern anyway if they've made her slightly older than in the game, and also means they can move on to season 2/TLOU without having to recast or wait ages.

Yeah that's true.  I presume season 1 is all of game 1?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 07:30:47 AM »
Yep, first season will be the first game.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 10:05:47 AM »
I'm unsure if I'm going to watch this, but I do like Anna Torv who was really good in Fringe.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
I'm unsure if I'm going to watch this, but I do like Anna Torv who was really good in Fringe.

I think the first 20 minutes will sell the show on you

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 11:16:15 AM »
I played the first game in the beginning of Covid (March 2020 I think?) and loved it, but I don't remember a lot of details. I'll probably go through it again and only then will I watch the show.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »
Strong first episode!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 02:30:34 PM »
Oh another cool thing about the show is that Merle Dandridge voiced (and presumably motion-captured) Marlene in the game and is now playing her in the show as well.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 02:45:17 PM »
Never played the game and know minimal about the story but I watched the first episode based on the rave reviews. I honestly thought it was extremely slow moving and pretty boring at times. There were some great moments and I can see that some of the shots and set up would have come straight from the game, ie the view through the back of the car which was really well done. I'll stick with the show as I am sure it will get better but to be honest if the show hadn't got such amazing reviews I may have given up on it as it does also feel very similar to The Walking Dead - there is an element of seen it all before coming through so far.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 03:42:15 PM »
I really like the additions and expansions they managed by not having to conform to a player POV. That bit at the start of the timeskip was heartbreaking.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 03:57:53 PM »
I really like the additions and expansions they managed by not having to conform to a player POV. That bit at the start of the timeskip was heartbreaking.

It really was...and I love how they kept focusing on the watch after the timeskip. It'll be interesting to see how the narrative around the watch develops, it's obviously going to be a big part of the story.

If it's in the game, please don't tell me. Does that count as spoilers?  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 05:47:08 PM »
Full disclosure I never played the game, so the whole thing is new to me

Same. Gonna watch later tonight.

but I do like Anna Torv who was really good in Fringe.

And Mindhunter on Netflix…..she was great in that. But I LOVED her in Fringe as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 11:23:53 PM »
Haven't played the game, first episode was pretty good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 03:44:52 AM »
Oooh, huge fan of the games (my current avatar is game Joel). I am probably going to spare up episodes and binge watch it. Good to see it has been received very well.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 05:30:25 AM »

And Mindhunter on Netflix…..she was great in that. But I LOVED her in Fringe as well.

Poor mans Scully  ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 08:09:30 AM »
Watched the episode last night and really enjoyed it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »
I enjoyed the first episode, but I feel it may be a bit overhyped on that first episode.  I say that, because all these Zombie shows/movies start like this so other than the opening scene with the daughter, I didn't really feel a strong connection to the show.  I also didn't play the games so this is new to me.  I did like the episode though, don't get me wrong.  I just see high praise for it, and I'm not sure I agree with that yet.  Obviously the potential is there and I am excited to see what happens. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 12:52:34 PM »
I enjoyed the first episode, but I feel it may be a bit overhyped on that first episode.  I say that, because all these Zombie shows/movies start like this so other than the opening scene with the daughter, I didn't really feel a strong connection to the show.  I also didn't play the games so this is new to me.  I did like the episode though, don't get me wrong.  I just see high praise for it, and I'm not sure I agree with that yet.  Obviously the potential is there and I am excited to see what happens.

The personal tragedy at the start of a story has been done before but The Last of Us does it really well and without getting too spoilery it plays a huge part in the story just in how it affects Joel as a character. The Walking Dead might have done the 'big successful zombie story' before, but IMO The Last of Us does it even better.

I hope the show continues on the same level as the pilot though. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »

The personal tragedy at the start of a story has been done before but The Last of Us does it really well and without getting too spoilery it plays a huge part in the story just in how it affects Joel as a character. The Walking Dead might have done the 'big successful zombie story' before, but IMO The Last of Us does it even better.

Yeah, I can see that.  I knew the GoT girl was the main character so when the show started with a different child, I called it out to my gf "she's going to die in this episode and that's going to be why he cares so much for the main character girl" (like I said, I didn't play the game, but I knew there was an adult male and young female who are the main characters from the game).  Then of course you see the flashback at the end of the episode when the guard points the gun at him and her.  I can only imagine there's more similar moments that's going to make those two form a strong bond.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 04:51:42 PM »

Yeah, I can see that.  I knew the GoT girl was the main character so when the show started with a different child, I called it out to my gf "she's going to die in this episode and that's going to be why he cares so much for the main character girl" (like I said, I didn't play the game, but I knew there was an adult male and young female who are the main characters from the game).  Then of course you see the flashback at the end of the episode when the guard points the gun at him and her.  I can only imagine there's more similar moments that's going to make those two form a strong bond.

I had the same thoughts, pretty much verbatim.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2023, 05:17:18 PM »
Just finished. It was ok. Did not immediately grab me like TWD!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2023, 05:27:34 PM »

I couldn't help but think about TWD during the episode.  I think this has more potential than TWD during it's start.  TWD wore me out and it was a rare show where I stopped watching a few seasons in.  I think that's kind of the hard part about doing a zombie show.  So much has already been done.  But like I said, I do think there's a lot of potential here.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2023, 06:23:40 PM »

I couldn't help but think about TWD during the episode.  I think this has more potential than TWD during it's start.  TWD wore me out and it was a rare show where I stopped watching a few seasons in.  I think that's kind of the hard part about doing a zombie show.  So much has already been done.  But like I said, I do think there's a lot of potential here.

Yes, I agree with all this too. I am amazed at the gushing love for this so far but can only think it is because so many people love the game and are loving seeing this portrayed in a tv show (as I said above I know nothing about the game). Looking forward to seeing where it goes but after one episode it wasn't anything special.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2023, 11:02:26 PM »
The problem with the Walking Dead was that there was never really any point to the storytelling (I'm talking about the show, can't speak for the comics). The start was so good and so promising, but they never set out with a clear idea of the story they were telling. They had a great start, because the setting was so good, but they just milked that setting and by season 2 the show just started meandering as they dragged it out for as long as they possibly could. I gave up a couple of seasons ago.

The Last of Us is very different. Both games have very coherent, powerful stories that are all about the characters, their motivations and journeys and relationships between each other. I don't only mean Joel and Ellie, but all the characters really. And it looks like the show is going to be adapting these in an amazing way.

So I get why some non-gamers might think "seems cool but what's with the hype, it's a lot like TWD" for now, but stick with it. I also understand that people who want action and aren't too interested in nuanced character stories might find it a bit slower than they'd expected, but that's the nature of the storytelling and I personally think it's wonderful.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 08:00:22 AM »
Yeah, it's just one episode and as I said to my gf, "all zombie stories start the same" with the outbreak scenario.  It's where it goes from here that makes the difference. Being HBO, I expect just an overall much better job than AMC at this story.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 09:30:21 AM »
Without delving into spoilers, The Last of Us is a straight forward story. Both games focus on characters, dialog, themes etc. I think Ariich has described it well.

Both games excel at what they do and do it better than most multimedia products, including film. I don't think The Walking Dead games or series are even remotely close in terms of quality to be honest.

In terms of films, I think Logan and The Road have a similar feel in ways. But those are also clearly different stories overall.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 09:37:41 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 09:31:24 AM »
One problem with a zombie show that definitely was my main issue with TWD was that there was no 'endgame' or plan. No "we have to get to this safe spot" or a natural place to end the story in, it's pretty much just "survive" and that's it. The first Last of Us game for sure has a nice story and I'm assuming S1 will span that, for me the only worry would be future seasons when we move past that. Hopefully we get something good though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 10:58:26 AM »
Yeah, it's just one episode and as I said to my gf, "all zombie stories start the same" with the outbreak scenario.  It's where it goes from here that makes the difference. Being HBO, I expect just an overall much better job than AMC at this story.
In terms of production vales for sure, but I don't feel HBO alone means much for the storytelling. Game of Thrones fell off a cliff at the end. My trust is in the showrunners - Druckman who created the games and Mazin who made Chernobyl - and the statements they've made about their plans for the show.

One problem with a zombie show that definitely was my main issue with TWD was that there was no 'endgame' or plan. No "we have to get to this safe spot" or a natural place to end the story in, it's pretty much just "survive" and that's it. The first Last of Us game for sure has a nice story and I'm assuming S1 will span that, for me the only worry would be future seasons when we move past that. Hopefully we get something good though.
They've said the show will only adapt the games and not go on forever (like TWD did and its spinoffs are still doing). I think they hinted that, assuming it's renewed, the second game would probably need two seasons. I'll be very interested to see how they tackle it. The format of the game first time was incredible but I don't see that working for the show, so that might be one where they need to do more adapting to make it work for the medium.

There's been talk of a third game at some point, but they've given the impression they wouldn't take the show beyond the games that have been released.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 11:05:05 AM »
In terms of production vales for sure, but I don't feel HBO alone means much for the storytelling. Game of Thrones fell off a cliff at the end. My trust is in the showrunners - Druckman who created the games and Mazin who made Chernobyl - and the statements they've made about their plans for the show.

As far as I know, yeah, HBO is not writing the show, but historically, for my tastes, HBO often makes the best TV shows.  I'm assuming they just have the money or have the brains to hire the best people (I really don't think it's because HBO has curses/nudity/gore).  Chernobyl, another HBO show.  The girl actress, from GoT (Pedro as well).  HBO re-uses a lot of the same people for their shows (the guy conducting the interview in the opening scene was in HBO's Silicon Valley too).  I really don't know what it is, but HBO just consistently wins me over with their TV shows.  And if you presented me two similar shows, one on AMC and one on HBO, I'd always bet the HBO show was better.