Author Topic: The Last of Us (HBO)  (Read 10308 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Last of Us (HBO)
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2023, 11:10:08 PM »
Episode 7 was so heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. I really enjoyed learning more about Ellie and getting to understand why she is the way she is when we meet her earlier in the series.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2023, 07:17:49 AM »
Episode 7 was so heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. I really enjoyed learning more about Ellie and getting to understand why she is the way she is when we meet her earlier in the series.

-Marc.

Yeah....very beautiful, yet heartbreaking episode. The tension they build up in every scene while they're enjoying themselves with the every present 'threat' of the dead attacking is remarkable.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2023, 01:34:41 PM »
God I love this show. The consistency is incredible. This was a fantastic adaptation of the flashbacks and how it tied into the present.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2023, 09:01:08 PM »
I just love how this show keeps throwing in our faces the stuff that we take so much for granted everyday, and makes it so beautiful. The strawberries, the carousel, the fucking escalator...they keep doing it so damn good.

And the writing... "We could be all poetic and shit and lose our minds together..."  I mean fuck man, how good is that line.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2023, 11:03:58 PM »
Ah man the escalator, that was amazing. I loved how she thought that was one of Riley's "wonders". :lol

And the writing... "We could be all poetic and shit and lose our minds together..."  I mean fuck man, how good is that line.
Yep that's from the game. A lot of the best lines are lifted direct from the game, like that one, and pretty much the whole scene between Joel and Ellie in the previous episode ("you have no idea what loss is" etc).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2023, 01:43:18 PM »
Assuming they're going to finish out the first game with these next two episodes - and I truly am just assuming that, maybe someone knows different - they are going to be wild. I'm legitimately terrified to see the live-action version of David. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2023, 02:11:19 PM »
Yep, although in fairness every episode has been pretty damn intense one way or another (normally in the emotionally devastating way).

Can't wait!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2023, 04:33:40 PM »
I think the show is significantly less brutal/intense/horrifying, but not in a bad way at all. In an action game you need a lot of conflict in order to maintain a compelling gameplay experience. Naughty Dog crafted the story and characters around that. In the series Joel definitely is more kind, less unhinged, and it makes for a great character for Pedro to work with. All the while still staying true to the character overall.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2023, 11:02:50 PM »
Indeed, although there's scope for him to become considerably more unhinged in the final two episodes. We saw flashes of it already in the first episode, when he beat up that FEDRA guy.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2023, 08:51:53 AM »
I think the show is significantly less brutal/intense/horrifying, but not in a bad way at all. In an action game you need a lot of conflict in order to maintain a compelling gameplay experience. Naughty Dog crafted the story and characters around that. In the series Joel definitely is more kind, less unhinged, and it makes for a great character for Pedro to work with. All the while still staying true to the character overall.
Yea, those have been my two main observations as far as differences between the game and the show. In the game, Joel is completely brutal from the get-go and pretty unlikeable as a character until the end (and even then, some people still think he's pretty despicable). Also, the game is genuinely scary and stressful at times. When a clicker walks into the room in the game, you clench up immediately. :lol The show isn't scary at all in the horror, jump-scare kind of way, which I think is totally fine (just an observation).

Online faizoff

« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2023, 10:34:07 PM »
Holy fucking shit. I can't believe how amazing these episodes have been one after another. I mean they keep finding new ways to up the ante and just deliver week after week. I did read a blurb that the finale is going to divide the game fans. Not sure what it means but I cannot wait for the finale regardless.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2023, 11:01:48 PM »
last 3 episodes have been great and has turned a meh show into a damn good show!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2023, 11:38:57 PM »
I did read a blurb that the finale is going to divide the game fans. Not sure what it means but I cannot wait for the finale regardless.
No that was Bella Ramsey saying she thought the finale will be divisive for fans, but she didn't refer specifically to game fans. Even if they adapt it closely, that could be what she's referring to, but we'll see.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2023, 04:52:45 AM »
Yeah, fans can also mean fans of the show in general.

I never took the (original) finale as divisive, but it for sure has always led to many discussions.

I hope they stick to it, it would work really well with how they built up the characters.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2023, 05:13:52 AM »
Yeah, fans can also mean fans of the show in general.

I never took the (original) finale as divisive, but it for sure has always led to many discussions.

I hope they stick to it, it would work really well with how they built up the characters.
Yeah I don't know that divisive is the right word. But without wanting to give anything away, it's definitely emotionally complex and got a fairly ambivalent reaction from me (as in, having contradicting emotions about it - not to be confused with "apathetic" as some people do!).

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2023, 06:16:38 AM »
Amazing episode again, on the edge would be an understatement. Can't believe we're already at the finale.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2023, 06:47:03 AM »
What an incredibly tense episode! There was a sense of bubbling unease throughout that really worked for the show and it was another great showcase for Bella's acting chops again, but Pedro does get some time to shine, especially showing more of his brutal side.

Very hard to believe that there's only one more episode left! What a quick 8 weeks this has been so far.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2023, 08:13:37 AM »
Fantastic once again. Like you guys have said....hard to believe we're at the end of the season. Been such a great show.

I read a blurb online that said the showrunners believe that there is more than a seasons worth of material for S2 (I'm assuming from the game?) Anyway, hopefully it's not just them being greedy and trying to stretch out the cash cow. I'd almost rather a (16) episode season than splitting it up.

Also, in this episode I liked the attention to detail with how sickly the people in that town looked being that they were eating human meat. Yeah...it was rough winter which can affect the physical appearance as well...but they also just added that 'look' of being sickly due to cannibalism.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2023, 08:37:10 AM »
Definitely not just milking it - they certainly could have drawn out the first game for two seasons of they really wanted to do that, but they've made it clear they want to stick to just the games and tell a focused story.

Thr second game is bigger in scope, and is at least twice the length of the first game, so two seasons definitely makes sense or it would feel rushed. A longer single season is an option too, for sure, but I get the impression that's not HBO's style.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2023, 08:47:05 AM »
Definitely not just milking it - they certainly could have drawn out the first game for two seasons of they really wanted to do that, but they've made it clear they want to stick to just the games and tell a focused story.

Thr second game is bigger in scope, and is at least twice the length of the first game, so two seasons definitely makes sense or it would feel rushed. A longer single season is an option too, for sure, but I get the impression that's not HBO's style.

Appreciate the insight.  :tup

I've not played a video game in literally 20 years....almost got back into it when the Dead Red Redemption craze hit cuz it sounded neat....but, this show makes me contemplate trying the game out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2023, 09:57:43 AM »

I've not played a video game in literally 20 years....almost got back into it when the Dead Red Redemption craze hit cuz it sounded neat....but, this show makes me contemplate trying the game out.

I think the last game I seriously got into was super Mario bros.  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2023, 10:01:05 AM »
I may have missed if it's already been mentioned, just wanted to ask without googling too much... there are two games in total with an additional expansion pack on the playstation right?

1. The Last of Us - Part I
2. Left Behind (is this a whole game or just some backstory expansion pack?)
3. The Last of Us - Part II
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2023, 10:16:00 AM »

I remember that when my wife and I were dating I was playing SOCOM Navy Seals and 'bragged' to her one night about some level I beat or something like that and she was not impressed at all. this was circa 03'-04'....so, I dialed the game playing back a bit then and just slowly stopped.

I do recall REALLY loving 'Siphon Filter' back in the day and of Course all the Madden Football iterations.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2023, 11:10:43 AM »

I remember that when my wife and I were dating I was playing SOCOM Navy Seals and 'bragged' to her one night about some level I beat or something like that and she was not impressed at all. this was circa 03'-04'....so, I dialed the game playing back a bit then and just slowly stopped.

I do recall REALLY loving 'Siphon Filter' back in the day and of Course all the Madden Football iterations.

I think the oldest I've ever felt in my life was the first time I tried one of the new generation of games... Just so fucking lost  :rollin

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
I may have missed if it's already been mentioned, just wanted to ask without googling too much... there are two games in total with an additional expansion pack on the playstation right?

Left Behind was just a DLC (downloadable content, for anyone who doesn't know) expansion to the first game. Episode 7 basically covered it.

So yes, just two games.

I be am boner inducing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2023, 01:49:15 PM »

Left Behind was just a DLC (downloadable content, for anyone who doesn't know) expansion to the first game. Episode 7 basically covered it.

So yes, just two games.

Ok cool thanks, yeah DLC is more like it, no one calls it expansion pack I guess. So I guess they'll cover the 2nd game in the 2nd season. Has any of the 2nd game stuff appeared in this season so far?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »

So yes, just two games.

Ok cool thanks, yeah DLC is more like it, no one calls it expansion pack I guess. So I guess they'll cover the 2nd game in the 2nd season. Has any of the 2nd game stuff appeared in this season so far?
No, not directly, but they have tweaked some of the moments or settings this season from the game to tee up stuff from the second game.

So yes, Part II will be covered in season 2 and, from what Mazin has said, potentially a season 3 as well.

There's talk of potentially a Part III being made. They won't take the TV show beyond the games that are out though, so I guess if Part III does happen, and isn't for a while, then the show will go on hiatus for a while too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2023, 01:58:45 PM »
They won't take the TV show beyond the games that are out though, so I guess if Part III does happen, and isn't for a while, then the show will go on hiatus for a while too.

But HBO has such a GREAT record for taking shows past their source material.....can't they just get like a little synopsis of what the creators of the game 'think' they 'might' do in the subsequent Pt. III and just use that as a guide?

Online faizoff

« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2023, 02:06:59 PM »

So yes, just two games.

No, not directly, but they have tweaked some of the moments or settings this season from the game to tee up stuff from the second game.

So yes, Part II will be covered in season 2 and, from what Mazin has said, potentially a season 3 as well.

There's talk of potentially a Part III being made. They won't take the TV show beyond the games that are out though, so I guess if Part III does happen, and isn't for a while, then the show will go on hiatus for a while too.

Interesting, I did not know about a 3rd game/season potentially on the line.

They won't take the TV show beyond the games that are out though, so I guess if Part III does happen, and isn't for a while, then the show will go on hiatus for a while too.

But HBO has such a GREAT record for taking shows past their source material.....can't they just get like a little synopsis of what the creators of the game 'think' they 'might' do in the subsequent Pt. III and just use that as a guide?

Oh you.. :D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2023, 02:30:20 PM »
I think TLOU is too big for a part III to never come out. And there are a lot of directions they can take with a hypothetical part III.

Unfortunately these games take like 5 years to make, so we won't be seeing one any time soon, unless it was already int the makings.

Part II is harder to adapt and much more divisive (I think it is on equal footing with I). I wonder how they will tackle it. Obviously won't discuss it here, for spoiler reasons. Part II is significantly longer and has way more characters and plot, so there is enough material for two seasons for sure.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 02:35:52 PM by ErHaO »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2023, 03:48:31 PM »
Also, in this episode I liked the attention to detail with how sickly the people in that town looked being that they were eating human meat. Yeah...it was rough winter which can affect the physical appearance as well...but they also just added that 'look' of being sickly due to cannibalism.

I thought that too. THAT was great detail!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2023, 09:22:17 AM »
Part II is harder to adapt and much more divisive (I think it is on equal footing with I). I wonder how they will tackle it. Obviously won't discuss it here, for spoiler reasons. Part II is significantly longer and has way more characters and plot, so there is enough material for two seasons for sure.

They have some big decisions to make that I am very curious about. For example (spoilers in tiny font below)...

Do they focus a bunch of episodes (or even a full season) on Ellie followed by another chunk of episodes (or even a full season) on Abby, which mirror the game more? Or do they continually cut back and forth between their stories, which is more conventional?

Either way, I feel like Part II could be two full seasons, since it is quite a bit longer than Part I.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2023, 01:16:11 PM »
Just finished Winter. It was great. Fantastic acting performances, the cast is killing it.

One thing I do think the games handles better though is that Ellie and David survive an intense infected attack together. This builds up some degree of trust for Ellie towards David. I am not sure why they did not do this in the show, the episode is short and there was plenty of space to cover it. And, you know, it would allow the show for some more infected moments.  Still, they did a great job and as a fan of the game, the environments were spot on.

They have some big decisions to make that I am very curious about. For example (spoilers in tiny font below)...

Do they focus a bunch of episodes (or even a full season) on Ellie followed by another chunk of episodes (or even a full season) on Abby, which mirror the game more? Or do they continually cut back and forth between their stories, which is more conventional?

Either way, I feel like Part II could be two full seasons, since it is quite a bit longer than Part I.

Yeah, I really wonder what direction they will take. I assume they have considered making season 2/3 when creating this show, so I assume they have a plan laid out.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2023, 03:51:55 PM »
They covered that change in the official podcast. Basically it's another extension of keeping the show more grounded. They considered the wider plot implications of there being hundreds of infected in the middle of nowhere. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense in the game - not that it bothers me at all, but i can see why they avoided it in the show.

I don't think it was a reason for the change, but the other thing it allowed them to do is focus more on David's manipulative side. In the game, it was chance that they had to fight off infected such that Ellie started to trust him. In the show, it was all him working to win her over.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2023, 10:33:19 AM »
They covered that change in the official podcast. Basically it's another extension of keeping the show more grounded. They considered the wider plot implications of there being hundreds of infected in the middle of nowhere. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense in the game - not that it bothers me at all, but i can see why they avoided it in the show.

I don't think it was a reason for the change, but the other thing it allowed them to do is focus more on David's manipulative side. In the game, it was chance that they had to fight off infected such that Ellie started to trust him. In the show, it was all him working to win her over.

Yeah, that is fair.

I do respect the decision to keep things more grounded. And in the Winter chapter it makes the most sense. With there being no infected, it gives the people a solid plot reason to keep surviving through the harsh winter as well.

The lack of infected makes for a unique "zombie" show. Actually, it really is more of a post apocalypse show where the infection started the downfall of society.

It keeps the game it's own experience as well, as that is much more of a voilent "against all odds" survival struggle through hordes of humans and infected. In the game's world it is offcourse also much easier to get infected (by breathing in an infectious amount of spores).