Author Topic: Your favorite youtube channels  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Your favorite youtube channels
« on: January 13, 2023, 07:12:08 PM »
There's so many incredible youtube channels out there and that's mostly what I watch these days, so I figured it would be good to have a thread where you can recommend your favorites you like to watch.

This one I just stumbled upon: soft white underbelly

https://www.youtube.com/@SoftWhiteUnderbelly/videos

Its just real people telling their stories. A lot of it is people telling their stories about how drugs really hurt their lives. Sad stuff, but powerful as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Your favorite youtube channels
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 01:40:37 AM »
Most of my favorite channels seem to be about movies - analyzing them or reviewing them, so that will be a running thread in some of these

RedLetterMedia - been a fan of them for like a decade now. A couple of fun guys who makes a few different shows on their channel all about movies, Half in the Bag (reviewing current movies), Best of the Worst (watching old crappy movies) & Re:View (they spotlight a particular movie and talk about it, could be a movie they love or just a weird one). You also have the Plinkett reviews covering the Star Wars prequels (among other things) that was an early hit for them and I like those, but I definitely get more enjoyment from their other 3 'series'.

YourMovieSucksDOTOrg (YMS) A guy called Adam from Canada who analyzes and talks about movies. Does some really great 'in depth' video essays, for example a 2 ½ hour video on why the new Lion King is just the worst thing (and it's only Part 1 with a Part 2 in the future), but he also does Quickie reviews about current movies, he also has a series 'Adum & Pals' where you get 20-30 minute views of him and his friends commenting/joking through a movie (so it's cut down to make it easier to watch) and I find these funny. He's also part of a podcast called Sardonicast with Ralph the movie maker and I Hate Everything (2 other Youtube movie guys) that I enjoy and listen to frequently. In general I would say his movie taste leans a bit more into foreign cinema and he's introduced some great ones I liked that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Chris Stuckmann - Doesn't do movie reviews as often now that he's making his first real film but I like him as an 'every day man' talking about movies. He doesn't come off as pretentious or like he's talking down to people and I also enjoyed his videos of talking about how he left Jehovah's Witness and the burden he's carried of growing up in that environment and just a shitty situation overall.

Also watch some reaction channels, I guess it's a guilty pleasure.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 07:20:03 AM »
Adam Savage's Tested:
Adam savage just being Adam Savage, building and exploring all things hobby.
https://www.youtube.com/c/tested

Townsends
A dude whose family has spent generations bringing life in the 18th century to modern folk today. They'll make hollowed out canoes and log cabins and whatnot, but my favorite segments are when they take recipes out of 300 year old textbooks and cook the dishes in a period kitchen. It's great stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Everyday Astronaut
A guy named Tim Dodd making super high quality and informative videos about getting stuff into space.
https://www.youtube.com/c/EverydayAstronaut

Cooking With Ry
Pretty sure this dude is loaded and in retirement, and always had a dream of making his own cooking show. He rarely cracks 10K views, but his production is top notch. And he does real world dishes, not monstrosities with a wow factor, which I like
https://www.youtube.com/c/CookingWithRy

Life in Jars?
A college kid who closes ecosystems in glass and reflects on them over time.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LifeinJars

My Mechanics
15-25 minute videos with ZERO dialog. Just footage of a guy taking tools or machines that were left to rot for decades and slowly restoring them. This channel is very soothing and zen-like
https://www.youtube.com/c/mymechanics

Kickok45
Cool gun guy
https://www.youtube.com/@hickok45

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 08:45:40 AM »
Rick Beato…feel most know this guy

Jelles Marble Runs… https://youtube.com/@JellesMarbleRuns …starting watching with my son years ago, it inspired him to do his own marble races to the point he made his own YouTube races

I’ll be happy to link my kids channel if anyone wants to see a 10 year olds marble racing league.

3Dbotmaker… https://youtube.com/@3Dbotmaker … die cast racing channel with very humorous commentary.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 09:48:50 AM »
Kickok45
Cool gun guy
Don't much care for Hickock. Big Paul Harrell fan, though. If he's just demoing ammunition it can be a bit boring, but he's a pretty bright guy and a lot of his more general stuff is excellent. He sold me when I saw something like "top five guns for self defense" and he concluded it with basically "before you spend a thousand dollars on guns, bullets, and training, spend twenty on a fire extinguisher for your kitchen, it's more likely to save the day for you." My kinda guy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
I don't have many favourite channels. Mostly I'm constantly jumping into rabbit holes. One that I always make sure to catch is Audit the Audit. It's amazing how little some cops care about the law. That said, my favourite of those videos is when the cops outperform the "auditors." While I think somebody needs to be doing what they're doing, these videos prove that, a lot of them are just obnoxious, and I'd rather see good cops behaving professionally than bad cops getting roped into poor behaviour. Most often you see that when public servants expect better treatment. When somebody plays the "do you know who I am card" Johnny will often go uber-professional and make them look like idiots. It never seems to end the career they think it will.

I've also discovered Homemade Documentaries. This kid (he's now in college, I believe) makes historical spaceflight videos better than any of the networks could. He's willing to spend an hour or two on each of the Apollo missions, so he'll provide a depth of insight greater than anybody else would. On top of that he's using a mix of official NASA videos as well as some of the superb animations people are cranking out with Kerbel so they look great. It takes him a very long time for each video, so it's not like a channel I'm constantly running to, but I really dig what he's doing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online pg1067

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 04:13:41 PM »
- Doug Helvering, although he's almost completely abandoned any pretense of theory analysis and is focusing heavily on lyrics.  He did Genesis's The Cinema Show recently and basically yacked over the entire second half about the lyrics.  I think the only thing he said about that incredible instrumental section was that it was in 7.

- Cinema Sins

- Richie Castellano/The Band Geeks

- Rick Beato

- Jim Gaffigan
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 11:53:50 PM »
-Weird History (mostly for the "Timeline" series) and Weird History Food
-Swoozie
-JxmyHighroller
-RowanColeman

a laundry list of music/prog related channels

My wife has several channels she watches regularly, but beyond the Makeup and Dollar Tree/Shopping Haul videos, Some of her favorites that I inevitably end up watching at times with her:

-Good Mythical Morning
-The Try Guys
-Watcher (previously, Buzzfeed Unsolved)
-Cinnamon Toast Ken
-16 Leo

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 07:22:39 AM »
I subscribe to a boatload of youtube channels:

Sampson Boat Co: British guy buys a 100 year old boat for $1 and has been restoring it for the past few years. His craftsmanship and knowledge is unreal and watching the boat come back to life is fascinating. Seriously this guy is an incredibly talented shipwright.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais: Do you like games? Do you like video game essays? Well if you do this is the best channel out there. He does super deep dives into video game series (his resident evil is over 7 hours long). I was lucky enough to find him when he just had one video so watching his channel grow has been really rewarding

ElToroRyan: Found this channel when Barto mentioned it in another thread. This guy does videos about rollercoaster around the world, really well researched and great to watch

M539 Restorations: Austrian guy restores BMW's in Germany. He is quirky and his videos and incredibly satisfying to watch. He restores cars to almost better than new.

SuperfastMatt: Former Tesla engineer converts a 50's jaguar to an electric car with tesla drive train. He is also working on a landspeed car on his channel. This dude is a brilliant engineer and his humor and video editing is fantastic. His channel is easy to digest and I highly recommend it

LGR: LazyGameReviews is a channel that reviews old games and PC hardware from the 90's and earlier. He is about the same age as me so watching his videos bring back a ton of nostaligia

Regular Cars: A car review channel mainly focusing on reviewing regular cars from the past. I can see his humor not being for everyone but I find him hilarious. They also occasionally do long videos on the history of car companies. They also reviewed the state of PA which was hilarious: https://youtu.be/mz4iSzkGWao

Adam Ragusea: Interesting food channel that talks about the science of food and cooking, he has strong Alton Brown vibes if Alton Brown didn't become an asshole

Brandon Acker: Classical guitars who has a really interesting collection of instruments from the classical era, amazing musician

Savagegeese: If you love car reviews then Savagegeese is your man. Tons of in depth talks about new vehicles and he will often get engineering support from the manufacturers. The humor is really dry but it clicks with me.

I got about 20 more channels I keep up with but I've already rambled long enough :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 05:38:54 AM »
Kickok45
Cool gun guy
Don't much care for Hickock. Big Paul Harrell fan, though. If he's just demoing ammunition it can be a bit boring, but he's a pretty bright guy and a lot of his more general stuff is excellent. He sold me when I saw something like "top five guns for self defense" and he concluded it with basically "before you spend a thousand dollars on guns, bullets, and training, spend twenty on a fire extinguisher for your kitchen, it's more likely to save the day for you." My kinda guy.

I'll give that guy a look. What's your beef with Hickock?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 09:45:12 AM »
Kickok45
Cool gun guy

To be honest I just find him dull. Simply watching somebody shoot doesn't do a whole lot for me. Paul Harrell, aside from being a shooting badass, is looking to provide facts and details. Dude is highly detail oriented. He's also a particularly bright guy, and I tend to appreciate such people. Hickock is more "down to Earth," I suppose. Also, Harrell is [at least part] owner of a tactical training school. A lot of his videos tend to be more tactical and defensive minded stuff, rather than just showing off a gun. That also appeals to me. This was a pretty good example of that. I loved his karaoke suggestion for learning to manage stressful situations. Outside the box is always cool.

On the downside, he's probably not my kind of people. Dude's been in at least two citizen involved shootings, one of which resulted in a death and his subsequent trial for murder. I've no doubt that it was self defense on his part. Still, somebody who's had to shoot at least twice in self defense probably isn't going through life the way I typically prefer.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 09:51:28 AM »
- Doug Helvering, although he's almost completely abandoned any pretense of theory analysis and is focusing heavily on lyrics.  He did Genesis's The Cinema Show recently and basically yacked over the entire second half about the lyrics.  I think the only thing he said about that incredible instrumental section was that it was in 7.

- Cinema Sins

- Richie Castellano/The Band Geeks

- Rick Beato

- Jim Gaffigan

You every see Richie with BOC?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 12:59:04 PM »
Brandon Acker: Classical guitars who has a really interesting collection of instruments from the classical era, amazing musician

I've never heard about anyone else in this thread (except for Doug Helvering, I watched a couple of his DT videos) but I do watch Brandon Acker. I play acoustic guitar, not classical but he's just very enjoyable to watch.

I watch Adam Bobrow and Pongfinity as I used to be quite good at table tennis (but haven't played regularly since like 2015-2017).

I also watch Levy Rozman (GothamChess) even though I mostly suck at chess, but he's a good entertainer so there's that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 01:08:19 PM »
Kickok45
Cool gun guy

To be honest I just find him dull. Simply watching somebody shoot doesn't do a whole lot for me. Paul Harrell, aside from being a shooting badass, is looking to provide facts and details. Dude is highly detail oriented. He's also a particularly bright guy, and I tend to appreciate such people. Hickock is more "down to Earth," I suppose. Also, Harrell is [at least part] owner of a tactical training school. A lot of his videos tend to be more tactical and defensive minded stuff, rather than just showing off a gun. That also appeals to me. This was a pretty good example of that. I loved his karaoke suggestion for learning to manage stressful situations. Outside the box is always cool.

On the downside, he's probably not my kind of people. Dude's been in at least two citizen involved shootings, one of which resulted in a death and his subsequent trial for murder. I've no doubt that it was self defense on his part. Still, somebody who's had to shoot at least twice in self defense probably isn't going through life the way I typically prefer.

Gotcha.

Yeah, for me, I find Hickock pretty informative and interesting, but that's probably due to being so green. You've been involved with firearms for a long while and already know a lot. Hickok's channel has exposed me to all kinds of firearms, ammo information, and gun history that I was totally oblivious to. I'm hearing a lot of the stuff for the first time, whereas it's probably a lot of repeat information for someone like you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 01:19:59 PM by Chino »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 08:19:24 PM »
Sea of Tranquility (best metal/prog site)

ProFootballTalk

Ryan George

The Suffocator (guy covers a million metal songs/albums)

The Tonight Show

Dry Bar Comedy

Studio C (not as great as it used to be)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 08:30:08 PM »
I am more of a Rabbit Hole type YouTuber. I think I am subscribed to 4 channels. I tend to watch videos by topic: sports, video games, movies, etc...

I used to watch everything James Rolfe/AVGN released but his output has diminished over the years, understandably. I don't miss his AVGN material nearly as much as I miss his Board James videos and James and Mike (Matei) Mondays.

Jon Bois' videos with Secret Base, formerly SB Nation, has released some amazing videos about sports, or more specifically videos about the people who happen to play sports. I never thought I could be fascinated by a 50+ long video about punting in the NFL.

I watch, or listen, rather, to ASMR videos often when I am falling asleep.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 11:52:59 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:23:24 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 07:40:53 PM »
The Why Files - AJ and heckle fish (hilarious) mostly debunk and explore stories of time travel, multiple dimensions, Silurian hypothesis, spontaneous human combustion etc.  You'll have to put on a tinfoil hat for this one.  But as the saying goes I'd rather be caught wearing a tinfoil hat than a blindfold!

Rick Beato -  Enough said, his channel is amazing.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/@GreatBigStory
Great Big Story is back!

It stopped/closed back in September 2020, but just this past week got relaunched and started making videos again.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 12:11:57 PM »
@MrBallen - He simply tells stories of the "Strange Dark and Mysterious" variety, as he coins it. At the beginning, he hilariously berades the like button, which is always a nice treat. My favorite one is "if you like this video, please dump water in front of the Like Button's dishwasher so it spends hours trying to figure out what's wrong with it."

@slanginthebizkit - Hockey podcast from @trav4Oilers, a minor pro hockey goaltender, and Dave Wheeler from Winnipeg radio. They talk about whatever they want in and around hockey.

@Drumeo - popular drum-learning channel that alot of you probably know. They have top shelf pros & youtubers on, plus the quality keeps getting better.

@wewatchedamovie - hilarious 2 dudes that talk all things horror movies. They just have a midwestern charm and humor that I can relate to.

@CorridorCrew - They are a CGI company that critiques and opens the curtains to good and bad CGI in the world of live action and animation.

@DaymDrops - Big Daym doing food reviews from his car. This guy never gets old and is my go-to when I'm having a bad day.

@SamtheCookingGuy - hilarious chef and entrepreneur that films hilarious how-to cook videos out of his San Diego home. His sons are heavily involved and there's some great banter between them all. Also, his Holiday Roast episode is my family staple for the last 4 Christmases.

-Tof

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 01:35:00 PM »
+1 on SamTheCookingGuy

Offline tofee35

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2023, 10:08:35 AM »