Author Topic: Billy Joel top 25 Countdown! (#s 3-1 revealed!!)  (Read 11227 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Billy Joel top 25 Countdown! (#s 3-1 revealed!!)
« on: January 13, 2023, 06:02:17 AM »
Okay, I have wanted to do this one for a while, and there seemed to be some interest in the appreciation thread for him a while back, so let's tackle a top 25 for Billy Joel.

I will count down the top 25 songs songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 25 based off all lists cumulatively and count the songs down from 25 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 25 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 25 songs, listed from 50 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Saturday, February 4th.  I will then begin the countdown shortly thereafter.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 25 points, number 2 gets 24 points, number 3 gets 23 points, etc.
-PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.  If I forgot any song, feel free to point it out and I will add it.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

25 An Innocent Man
24 A Matter of Trust
23 The Downeaster ‘Alexa’
21 (t) Uptown Girl
21 (t) It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
20 Captain Jack
19 Just the Way You Are
18 My Life
17 She's Got A Way
16 Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
15 Big Shot
14 You May Be Right
12 (t) Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)
12 (t) Honesty
11 Goodnight Saigon
10 Vienna
09 Pressure
08 Prelude/Angry Young Man
07 She's Always a Woman
06 The Stranger
05 Only the Good Die Young
04 Piano Man
03 New York State of Mind
02 Allentown
01 Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:33:56 AM by KevShmev »

Offline DTA

Re: Billy Joel top 25 Countdown! (submissions due 01/28!!)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 08:00:22 AM »
This one will be a lot of fun. I already know what the top song will most likely be, but I'm curious to see how the rest of the top 10 plays out.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 10:38:53 AM »
PT gets a top 50 but Billy only gets a top 25? :o ::) :P :-[ :laugh: :huh: :sad:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 10:40:49 AM »
I couldn't do a Top 5 for either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »

WUT?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kram

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 11:19:27 AM »
It's just really hard to rank songs for me.  Much easier to do albums.  But I told you I'd participate in this one Kev so I'll make a list.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 12:01:25 PM »

Looking at the song list, I think I recognized 13-15 of them (and one I absolutely despise), and I've never heard a Porcupine Tree song (AFAIK).

I'll follow along with this one because I'm curious where my overwhelming favorite song will rank, but I shan't participate.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 02:38:32 PM »
First pass through brought me to 63 songs. THIS is going to be VERY TOUGH getting to just 25! :omg:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 03:02:11 PM »
YES!

Thank you! I can't wait for this!!!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 03:17:47 PM »
Done and done. List sent. THIS should be very cool. Love Billy! :hefdaddy

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 03:46:09 PM »
List sent. Looking it over, any of my top-50 can be in my top-25. So cool.

When I was in law school, I used to sing Billy Joel with some cover bands during the week. I needed a break from my studies, and particularly first year, we were not permitted to work. So I'd go out late, 11, midnight, just myself, kick back with a beer or two and sit in with a few bands and sing A Matter of Trust, Piano Man, I Go to Extremes, New York State of Mind (which made me wistful for home), etc. Good, good times. A dozen times or so those three years of law school. In some ways, I miss those times. Although I don't miss being piss poor.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »
List sent. Looking it over, any of my top-50 can be in my top-25. So cool.

When I was in law school, I used to sing Billy Joel with some cover bands during the week. I needed a break from my studies, and particularly first year, we were not permitted to work. So I'd go out late, 11, midnight, just myself, kick back with a beer or two and sit in with a few bands and sing A Matter of Trust, Piano Man, I Go to Extremes, New York State of Mind (which made me wistful for home), etc. Good, good times. A dozen times or so those three years of law school. In some ways, I miss those times. Although I don't miss being piss poor.  :lol

:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
Glad to see some good interest already.  This one will be fun.

25 sounded right since Billy isn't by any means one of the most popular artists here, but I think those who are fans will really enjoy this one.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 08:11:50 PM »
I never expected to see a Billy Joel countdown here, but I think I have to participate in this one. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 10:15:02 PM »
Looking at the song list, I think I recognized 13-15 of them...

That's about where I am at.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 10:17:33 PM »
Don’t know any more than the radio hits for Billy Joel, but I’ll try to listen along like I did as LZ was revealed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 06:30:42 AM »
Don’t know any more than the radio hits for Billy Joel, but I’ll try to listen along like I did as LZ was revealed.

That's a lot of songs, though.   What songs classic rock and/or 80s radio stations play will obviously vary, but over the years, I count about 20-25 songs of his that still to this day get played regularly.   I always say that he and Tom Petty are similar in that they both have more classic rock mainstays than you can shake a stick at.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 10:54:20 AM »
I've narrowed mine down to 45.  This is not easy.

For those unfamiliar with the 'deeper cuts', wiki his discography, and some of the somewhat unfamiliar songs are also highlighted.  Might be useful.

In this area, it was just announced that he would be returning to Baltimore in October (with Stevie Nicks opening!). Lower bowl tickets are over $300 a piece, upper deck $140 plus.  Just can't pull the trigger at those prices.  :sad:

Saw him at Madison Square Garden a handful of years ago as that venue's monthly 'house band' ;) :tup   Easily a Top Ten concert experience. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 01:27:29 PM »
YES!

I literally wrote out the exact same post, almost word for word.

:)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Billy Joel top 25 Countdown! (submissions due 02/04!!)
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 07:38:14 PM »
Okay, since I will (almost) three weeks to do the PT countdown instead of two, I am pushing the deadline on this back a week to February 4th.

Remember, fans, it's still only rock and roll, so don't feel any pressure to get it right the first time.  If you want to play with your lists a few times before submitting, so it goes.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2023, 06:51:59 AM »
Alright so I actively despise Billy Joel but I never gave him a fair shake so I'm going to follow along to this thread and see if I can get turned on to some new tunes. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 08:45:40 AM »
Alright so I actively despise Billy Joel but I never gave him a fair shake so I'm going to follow along to this thread and see if I can get turned on to some new tunes.

Hmm.  Taste is taste, and I don't know what it is that you don't like, but if it matters, I've been a fan since forever (The Stranger - which will probably make my list in it's entirety - was pretty sure the first record I ever bought with my own money; that or Kiss Alive II) and I really don't care for too many of his hits.   I'm a deep cut guy; but something like "Scandinavian Skies" is sublime.  He's also a closet prog guy, IMO; he's got at least one, maybe two, concept albums (An Innocent Man and The Nylon Curtain), and perhaps more.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 09:32:29 AM »

Hmm.  Taste is taste, and I don't know what it is that you don't like, but if it matters, I've been a fan since forever (The Stranger - which will probably make my list in it's entirety - was pretty sure the first record I ever bought with my own money; that or Kiss Alive II) and I really don't care for too many of his hits.   I'm a deep cut guy; but something like "Scandinavian Skies" is sublime.  He's also a closet prog guy, IMO; he's got at least one, maybe two, concept albums (An Innocent Man and The Nylon Curtain), and perhaps more.   

I had Glass Houses on 8 track in a Columbia House haul when I was a kid. Billy Joel is just not my thing. I don't hate him or even dislike him. The radio hits are fine enough, but I have never had the urge to explore anymore. I actually heard Piano Man on my work intercom a couple of weeks ago and found it kind of cringey.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 11:15:07 AM »
YES!

I literally wrote out the exact same post, almost word for word.

:)

:biggrin:

I've been a fan since forever (The Stranger - which will probably make my list in it's entirety - was pretty sure the first record I ever bought with my own money; that or Kiss Alive II) and I really don't care for too many of his hits.   I'm a deep cut guy; but something like "Scandinavian Skies" is sublime.  He's also a closet prog guy, IMO; he's got at least one, maybe two, concept albums (An Innocent Man and The Nylon Curtain), and perhaps more.   

I've been a fan ever since I heard my parents play 52nd Street on the turntable when I was...man, I remember it being in the late-70s. It came out in late 78, so it must have been around there. Some of my earliest memories was being in the living room and hearing that record.

And you nailed it with The Nylon Curtain. An Innocent Man is a unique concept for sure...songs done in the styles of those who influenced Billy. I know it IS a concept, but I never really view it as such. I just think it's a great album, and An Innocent Man is such a wonderful song. He sings that chorus so powerfully. I'm not as big on Scandinavian Skies as you are, but I completely agree that Billy is a huge prog guy. He's admitted as such over the years. I love the influence The Beatles had on Billy throughout his career too, particularly their latter era, which was more experimental.

Offline DTA

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »
He always described the vocal melody of Movin' Out's verse as him doing his best Jon Anderson impression.

Offline Kram

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 03:32:52 PM »
List sent.  I gotta say this was pretty difficult for me he has so many great songs and on any given day my list probably could look significantly different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 06:25:05 PM »

I had Glass Houses on 8 track in a Columbia House haul when I was a kid. Billy Joel is just not my thing. I don't hate him or even dislike him. The radio hits are fine enough, but I have never had the urge to explore anymore. I actually heard Piano Man on my work intercom a couple of weeks ago and found it kind of cringey.

Honestly, I find his deep cuts to be more miss than hit (in the grand scheme; there are a few albums where that is not the case), but most of his hits are so damn good except for a couple (The River of Dreams should have been taken out back and shot), and when you factor those in with the many deeper cuts that I do in fact like or love, it's still a lot of songs I like by the man.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 06:38:13 PM »

I'm anything but a big Billy Joel guy, but it seems to me he is a bit of a chameleon.  He's got that lounge lizard side (Piano Man and New York State of Mind), a rocking side (Pressure), a doo wop side (Longest Time and Uptown Girl), and whatever We Didn't Start the Fire is (and probably a couple others I don't know).  I think WDSTF is on a short list of worst popular songs ever, and I can see not liking some of the other stuff (particularly the doo wop stuff), but he seems to have at least a little something for everyone.

BY THE WAY...I encourage anyone who hasn't listened to it already to check out Jim Gaffigan's Billy Joel bit.  It's friggin' hilarious.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 09:33:27 PM »
List sent.  Pretty curious to see how this one turns out.  Other than KISS, Billy Joel is probably the artist I've been a fan of the longest.  I sill have my 52nd Street vinyl from when I was 5 back in '78.  For anyone looking for a great live collection, look no further than Songs In The Attic.  The versions on this album have a lot more life than the studio versions and, in my opinion, are far superior to the originals.

As far as pg1067's comment about his doo wop side, each song on 'An Innocent Man' pays tribute to a Doo Wop or Motown legend.  While it's definitely not for everyone, listening to the album knowing that kinda paints it in a different light.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 05:15:27 AM »
As far as pg1067's comment about his doo wop side, each song on 'An Innocent Man' pays tribute to a Doo Wop or Motown legend.  While it's definitely not for everyone, listening to the album knowing that kinda paints it in a different light.

Stadlerian comment of the day!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 11:04:08 AM »
Stads has a way about him. I don't know what it is...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2023, 11:24:55 AM »

Looking at the song list, I think I recognized 13-15 of them (and one I absolutely despise), and I've never heard a Porcupine Tree song (AFAIK).

I'll follow along with this one because I'm curious where my overwhelming favorite song will rank, but I shan't participate.

Just pull up his Greatest Hits on YouTube or your favorite streaming service and play that in the background while you are working, and you should easily be able to do a top 25.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 11:34:03 AM »

I'm always a woman.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 11:39:12 AM »

I'm always a woman.

There’s honesty for ya…  :D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »
Or some times a fantasy….  :D

I made sure I had a couple of his LPs in college, because the rockers were OK with him, the girls loved him, and one was always ‘good’ with those ladies (or maybe better  ;)) when putting one of his vinyls on at house party 👍
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 01:23:12 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!