Author Topic: Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki appreciation thread  (Read 1498 times)

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki appreciation thread
« on: January 08, 2023, 05:12:04 PM »
Been watching a lot of studio ghibli films lately.

I think My neighbor totoro is my favorite. Its just so incredibly heart warming. And I really love Spirited away as well.

Are you guys fans? If so what are some of your favorites?

Offline Bentower

Re: Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 11:49:49 PM »
My neighbor totoro
Spirited away

Those are two of my faves as well. Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind round out my top 5, but really, everything by Miyazaki has my stamp of approval. Just wonderfully imaginative and brilliantly made films. I'm especially a fan of their handling of ecological themes, with a hint of ecospirituality thrown in for good measure.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:36:23 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 08:53:49 AM »
I've only seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoko, and Howls Moving Castle, but they're all fantastic.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 12:04:37 PM »
Big fan. I much prefer these to Disney/Pixar, the animation just looks a lot better to me and I like the different vibe of them. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind are probably my top3.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 12:11:20 PM »
Did you all see that cryptic tweet from Studio Ghibli about a month back where they just faded to and from from the Ghibli logo to the Lucasfilm logo?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 09:46:01 AM »
Got tickets to go see the new Ghibli film, The Boy and the Heron, tonight, very excited. The voice cast for it is insane... Mark Hamill, Dave Bautista, Florence Pugh, Christian Bale, Gemma Chen, William DeFoe... When I was at the fan expo for Hamill's panel, he spoke at lengths about how amazing a work of art the film is. Very excited.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 10:02:34 AM »
I wouldn't want to see it dubbed personally, but man, what an awesome film (once again). Such a gift to see a new film by maestro Miyazaki on the big screen. He was supposed to be retired, after all.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 10:35:37 AM »
One day I have to watch them all again.

I've seen some, but I hardly remember anything.

I've watch Howl, the Incanted City, Ponyo, Totoro, but beside the last one, I don't really remember the plot, good occasion to watch them again at some point.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 10:44:58 AM »
One day I have to watch them all again.

I've seen some, but I hardly remember anything.

I've watch Howl, the Incanted City, Ponyo, Totoro, but beside the last one, I don't really remember the plot, good occasion to watch them again at some point.

You should really watch Porco Rosso. Excellent and, alas, more poignant these days than when it came out.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 10:57:33 AM »
I wouldn't want to see it dubbed personally, but man, what an awesome film (once again). Such a gift to see a new film by maestro Miyazaki on the big screen. He was supposed to be retired, after all.

Maybe I'll watch it again with the subtitles, but with how strong the voice cast is, and that I'm seeing it in IMAX, I don't see a problem getting absolutely lost in the film.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 07:45:35 PM »
That was an absolutely stunning work of art. Just breathtakingly beautiful.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 08:38:31 AM »
I am going to watch it tomorrow in Imax.

Today I saw Godzilla Minus One, which was a great flick. Finally some quality Japanese cinema on the big screen again here!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 05:50:35 PM »
I liked it, but it was also a bit messy. I feel the beginning was super slow and then the last third was a damn rollecoaster that did not take the time to set up all it's elements. Very unbalanced, but also a ton of fantastic moments and great atmosphere.

It was in Japanese here btw.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2024, 03:43:26 PM »
Watched in the theater The Boy and the Huron. Probably not the best, but it was still decent and enjoyable. Not surprised at how the story took many weird turns  :D the Huron was very annoying and unsettling at times, and the Warawara were super ultra cute. The parakeets were weird as well.

Anyway, as I said earlier, the plots are so weird that I barely remember the movies I've seen, eventually I'm gonna catch up again with some of them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2024, 06:11:25 PM »
Watched in the theater The Boy and the Heron. Probably not the best, but it was still decent and enjoyable. Not surprised at how the story took many weird turns  :D the Heron was very annoying and unsettling at times, and the Warawara were super ultra cute. The parakeets were weird as well.

Anyway, as I said earlier, the plots are so weird that I barely remember the movies I've seen, eventually I'm gonna catch up again with some of them.

FTFY  ;)

I caught TBATH in the theaters last month as well, and enjoyed it quite a bit! Very different than what I expected through the second act, but the animation was gorgeous and the score was stellar. The Parakeets were really wacky but I loved them. The ending felt very abrupt, though, and I wish we had a bit more of an epilogue. The 2nd act is where the film shines, though.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!