Author Topic: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - All S2 Eps now out! S3 teased!  (Read 15656 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - All S2 Eps now out! S3 teased!
« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2024, 07:16:57 PM »
I got about 2 episodes into the Inhumans before tapping out.

I actually enjoyed a lot of what was in Eternals, it was just such a mess as a cohesive whole.   

Ep6 of this season was outstanding, just love the new character and the animation's color schemes were so frikkin cool.

I'll finish the show tomorrow.

Yea. Eternals has a lot of potential and great elements. Just a bad script. Much like a ton of modern marvel movies. At some point this becomes Feige’s fault if he’s letting so many awful scripts get by.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2024, 06:13:43 AM »
Saw Ep. 5, and so far it's fine. I don't see the leap in quality from Season 1 that some have mentioned, but I enjoyed season 1 :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2024, 04:49:57 PM »
Why, despite witnessing various instances of Thanos' defeat in multiple episodes of What If, did Doctor Strange originally foresee only one scenario out of 14 million?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2024, 05:43:20 PM »
Why, despite witnessing various instances of Thanos' defeat in multiple episodes of What If, did Doctor Strange originally foresee only one scenario out of 14 million?

You have to begin with that one scenario, and then calculate the multitude of decisions made by the multitude of people from that point forward.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2024, 05:14:30 AM »

My understanding was that there was one out of 14 million scenarios that Strange saw in that universe with that universe's version of all the characters. The defeats we see in What If are happening in other universes so wouldn't be part of what Strange saw in Infinity War.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2024, 07:23:00 AM »

I actually enjoyed a lot of what was in Eternals, it was just such a mess as a cohesive whole.   

Ep6 of this season was outstanding, just love the new character and the animation's color schemes were so frikkin cool.

Yea. Eternals has a lot of potential and great elements. Just a bad script. Much like a ton of modern marvel movies. At some point this becomes Feige’s fault if he’s letting so many awful scripts get by.

Gemma Chan's performance is another big issue with that film.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2024, 07:23:28 AM »

My understanding was that there was one out of 14 million scenarios that Strange saw in that universe with that universe's version of all the characters. The defeats we see in What If are happening in other universes so wouldn't be part of what Strange saw in Infinity War.

This makes sense. Thx

Offline Adami

« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2024, 07:24:36 AM »

There's a good number of performance issues. Kumail is great doing his normal thing and Barry was good as well. Everyone else is mostly just playing cold and stoic. Which might work for one of them, but multiple cold and stoic people just becomes really boring after a while. Add the fact that there's no real villain to identify with, it's just bodies doing things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2024, 07:28:16 AM »
Also seen the first 6 episodes thus far.

The first one was fantastic. Loved the dark noir vibe and the originality of it.
I actually thought the 2nd one was a lot of fun. The old school avengers were cool and it had a good heart behind it.
The 3rd one with Happy saving Christmas was good, fun, silly, and a nice holiday novelty episode. Plus the more Sam Rockwell, the better.
4th one was fine. Not bad. Not great. Just typical Marvel fun but done well.
5th one was good too. Nice switch of the Winter Soldier story line. Not amazing, but good.
6th was fantastic. Loved the almost complete lack of English. The new approach. New characters. Very smart choices.
Will watch the last three this week. Excited for the 1602 episode, though I'm not sure how good it'll be without mutants or Spider-Man and Daredevil who had big roles in the comic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2024, 07:34:23 AM »

There's a good number of performance issues. Kumail is great doing his normal thing and Barry was good as well. Everyone else is mostly just playing cold and stoic. Which might work for one of them, but multiple cold and stoic people just becomes really boring after a while. Add the fact that there's no real villain to identify with, it's just bodies doing things.

Yeah.  I mean I hate to diss a female actress in this age where that seems the norm, but I really struggled with Chan purely for her performance - I think she's supposed to be the main character (by the end of the film anyway) but I just found her performance so wooden and bland a complete charisma vacuum - and I agree some of the other aren't great either, but I found her the worst.  Along with Ray Winstone in Black Widow and Michael Douglas in Ant-Man 3 (he just looks completely confused) maybe for worst MCU performance?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2024, 12:20:52 AM »
I dunno, I thought Chan was excellent in Humans. I think the performance issue you're talking about - considering it was spread across the cast - is more to do with the directing, which was more focused on the big ideas (which many didn't think landed well either) than the character relationships.

I like Eternals just fine but I can understand the feeling that some of the characters seemed wooden.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2024, 07:01:23 AM »
Yeah, I think I enjoyed Eternals more than most. I remember my initial issue with the movie was the cinematography, it felt like they every shot lasted no more than 3 seconds before moving to a different angle.

Anyways, saw Ep. 6 yesterday, and that was pretty good.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2024, 07:06:34 AM »
I enjoyed the Eternals and I found it a brilliant take on the material at hand. The only disappointment - for lack of a better word - is that, coming relatively late to the game, I feel it slightly fails to be the big foundational mythos to the MU it could have been.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2024, 10:10:04 AM »
That's pretty much how I feel about Eternals.  If we're involving Celestials and the very nature of the planet Earth and our place in the universe, it should have been a huge deal.  Instead, it was more "Hmm, a giant being sortuv erupting or hatching from our planet like it's a giant egg.  Huh.  Oh well, I wonder what's for lunch."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2024, 09:45:59 AM »
Finally finished this.  It fell about as flat as season 1 did.  Glad it's over.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2024, 10:40:16 AM »
Finally finished up the season.  Overall, I liked it a lot, much more than season 1.

Episode 6 was fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2024, 10:42:33 AM »
Watched the 1602 episode.

It was fun. Sadly had almost nothing in common with the comic version but it was okay. Ending was a bit dumb but eh. Hopefully will finish it up tonight.

I think a few flaws of this show is not enough going into unexpected, different directions (cause when they do, it’s great) to follow the more traditional Marvel mold. And focusing too much on the same few characters or alts of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2024, 02:44:27 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/officialwhatif/posts/pfbid0gRpqpRRhdNBUK1qXJMKv8jn12RVXp18whereSkqvua85dBnYqBPsR2BkR5fBcibal

Marvel Studios has shared some sneak peek stills from Season 3, including some hype-looking giant mecha, and a couple more shots of the Bucky/Red Guardian buddy-trip episode!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!