Author Topic: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 21110 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (#s 04 & 03 featured!!)
« Reply #630 on: January 06, 2023, 02:41:22 PM »
I had Immigrant Song at 23.  I love it, and it gets in and out in fine fashion, but "da-DUH-duhduh-daduh" for 3 straight minutes sometimes is a bit much.

Achilles is far and away my favorite Zeppelin song.  It's really not close.  The layering of the guitars (I shudder to think what this must have sounded like live), JPJ's bass work, the drum patterns.  The whole thing is excellent from start to finish.

This post does not compute. You complain about Immigrant Song doing the same thing for three minutes, but Achilles does the same thing for over 10 minutes.

Nah...Achilles cycles through different patterns, all of which change throughout the song.  And I'm not complaining too much about Immigrant Song.  It's still a great song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Led Zeppelin Top 40 Countdown Thread!! (Top 2 revealed!!)
« Reply #631 on: January 06, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
I had Kashmir at 3 and Stairway at 4.  They're both just incredible songs, and I easily could have had them in the other order (or even interchangeable with my #2 - The Song Remains the same).  They're played a lot for a reason.  The build up and climax of Stairway is just perfect.

My rankings (32/40)...

40  Hot Dog
39  D'yer Mak'er
38  Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Woman)
37  Hey, Hey, What Can I Do
36  South Bound Suarez
35  Moby Dick
34  Over the Hills and Far Away
33  Dancing Days
32  No Quarter
31  Dazed and Confused
30  Misty Mountain Hop
29  Trampled Under Foot
28  Ramble On
27  Good Times Bad Times
26  Bron-Yr-Aur
25  Houses of the Holy
24  The Ocean
23  The Immigrant Song
22  The Rain Song
21  Going to California
20  Four Sticks
19  Custard Pie
18  When the Levee Breaks
17  In the Evening
16  All My Love
15  Heartbreaker
14  Out on the Tiles
13  Fool in the Rain
12  Rock and Roll
11  The Battle of Evermore
10  Communication Breakdown
9  Whole Lotta Love
8  Black Dog
7  The Rover
6  Ten Years Gone
5  Carouselambra
4  Stairway to Heaven
3  Kashmir
2  The Song Remains the Same
1  Achilles Last Stand

NOT RANKED:
Nobody's Fault But Mine
In the Light
How Many More Times
Thank You
In My Time of Dying
What Is and What Should Never Be
Since I've Been Loving You
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

I'm actually a little surprised I nailed 32/40.  Bummed that Tiles, Custard and Four Sticks didn't make the cut, but they were all really close.  Bron-Yr-Aur is right under there with Rik Emmett's and Steve Howe's solo acoustic pieces.

Thanks, Kev!  What's next?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #632 on: January 06, 2023, 03:01:48 PM »

And by that Kev, we mean what's next after Porcupine Tree?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #633 on: January 06, 2023, 03:26:14 PM »
I had Kashmir at #6 and Stairway at #2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #634 on: January 06, 2023, 03:50:30 PM »

Fret not. I have a few good ideas in mind.  :hat :hat

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #635 on: January 06, 2023, 03:52:36 PM »

:lol

I agree, second the thanks and secretly (or nor secretly at all) wish for Metallica.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #636 on: January 06, 2023, 05:56:38 PM »
Had Kashmir at #15. It's a classic song but I feel it outstays its initially very warm welcome a little. And Stairway to Heaven landed at #2. It's just a flawless song.

Final standings (bolded and underlined are songs that didn't make the list):

40. The Battle of Evermore
39. Immigrant Song
38. Over The Hills And Far Away
37. Living Loving Maid (She’s Just A Woman)
36. Misty Mountain Hop
35. Tangerine
34. All My Love
33. Black Dog
32. The Lemon Song
31. Going to California
30. In The Light
29. Houses of the Holy
28. No Quarter
27. Good Times Bad Times
26. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
25. Ten Years Gone
24. Heartbreaker
23. The Song Remains The Same
22. The Rain Song
21. Thank You
20. Dancing Days
19. Whole Lotta Love
18. What Is And What Should Never Be
17. For Your Life
16. How Many More Times
15. Kashmir
14. Rock and Roll
13. The Ocean
12. Dazed and Confused
11. In The Evening
10. Nobody’s Fault But Mine
9. Achilles Last Stand
8. Custard Pie
7. In My Time of Dying
6. Sick Again
5. D’Yer Maker
4. The Rover
3. Since I’ve Been Loving You
2. Stairway to Heaven
1. When The Levee Breaks

Not ranked:

Hey Hey What Can I Do
Carouselambra
Fool In The Rain
Communication Breakdown
Trampled Under Foot
Ramble On

85% (34 from 40) is my highest 'score' since participating in these countdowns!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: January 06, 2023, 06:38:23 PM »
40   The Wanton Song
39   How Many More Times
38   Dancing Days
37   Ramble On
36   Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
35   Four Sticks
34   Achilles Last Stand
33   Communication Breakdown
32   Nobody's Fault But Mine
31   Gallows Pole
30   Over the Hills and Far Away
29   Misty Mountain Hop
28   Going to California
27   All My Love
26   The Ocean
25   In My Time of Dying
24   Whole Lotta Love
23   Dazed and Confused
22   Thank You
21   In the Light
20   The Rain Song
19   No Quarter
18   Houses of the Holy
17   What Is and What Should Never Be
16   Good Times Bad Times
15   Boogie with Stu
14   Your Time Is Gonna Come

13   Trampled Under Foot
12   When the Levee Breaks
11   Tangerine
10   In the Evening
9   Black Dog
8   Rock and Roll
7   The Battle of Evermore
6   Immigrant Song
5   Hey, Hey, What Can I Do
4   Ten Years Gone
3   Kashmir
2   Stairway to Heaven
1   Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

I think I bolded the songs that didn't make the list properly. The only thing that jumps out at me is how high Achilles landed. I did not see that coming. I just never got in to that song much. Really happy D’Yer Mak'er didn't make the cut. I hate that song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #638 on: January 06, 2023, 06:59:57 PM »
Really happy D’Yer Mak'er didn't make the cut. I hate that song.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #639 on: January 06, 2023, 09:36:38 PM »

Fret not. I have a few good ideas in mind.  :hat :hat

Well...that excludes Porcupine Tree.  Metallica or Styx or Judas Priest would be cool.  Or the Beatles?

Offline Animal

« Reply #640 on: January 06, 2023, 10:33:48 PM »
If there was a countdown wishlist, Opeth would be very high on mine (either just death metal era Opeth or complete one). And I would be definitely in for The Beatles or Metallica. (Sure, The Beatles do have a lot of songs so even Top 40 could be quite a task for the threadrunner. But still a piece of cake compared to the singers countdown ;D)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #641 on: January 07, 2023, 03:25:52 AM »
I had Kashmir at #2 and Stairway at #1. Finally I nailed it.  ;D

Kev, good job on the countdown, it's fun every time. Your updates are something to look forward to every day.  :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: January 07, 2023, 06:24:19 AM »
Indeed! Where are my manners? Thanks, Kev, as always. And thanks to everyone who posted. Read them all and disagreed with most :lol

I'm pleased Stairway won despite it being so familiar to us all. It's one of those songs that just never outstays its welcome for me. Bit like Creeping Death.

And as I said earlier in the thread, my personal favourite version of it is the one from the vinyl edition of The Song Remains the Same (although it's stitched together. And thanks Stadler for reminding of the website).

I first heard that album when I was about 16. I delivered a free newspaper on Fridays after school around the estate. Can't remember how it came about but there was a chap on the round who must have engaged me in conversation because he suddenly produced the vinyl version of The Song Remains the Same and told me to give it a listen. I don't think I'd heard any Zep really before then, not to the point of recognition, anyway. So I borrowed it, heard *that* version of Stairway and returned the record to him a couple of weeks later. I felt a bit suspicious of the chap at the time. I would guess he was 30 or 35 but everyone above 20 looks old when you're 16. I wish I'd made an effort with him now. He was probably just delighted to be able to share his passion for music with someone who was relatively new to the genre.

Anyway, I bought a copy of the original release vinyl release of The Song Remains the Same a couple of years ago, it goes for pennies. And I still love putting it on while poring over the gatefold sleeve.

"Does anybody remember laughter?"

Indeed, Robert. Indeed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:34:33 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: January 07, 2023, 06:55:50 AM »
Couple of quick thoughts on my submissions that ended up not making the cut:

39. Bring It On Home - love that riff, and Bonham's continuous run of fills is fantastic
34. The Wanton Song - one of the heavier rock songs in the catalogue.  Love the drum beats and oft-changing time signatures.
29. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - just a fun fun fun tune - especially camp-fire side, pounding back some beverages with your boys.  This is aided by the fact it follows my #3 all-time song, and provides a nice counter-punch.
28. Wearing and Tearing - the only redeeming thing on Coda.  Great heavy rocker song perfect for the late 70s/early 80s.  Clearly too heavy/not enough keys for ITTOD.
27. Night Flight - I often waffle as to whether I prefer this, or Ten Years Gone... for some reason I put them in the same category as the 'next best' songs on PG.
26. Celebration Day - love III
25. Friends - LOVE III ... and I find that this + Celebration Day almost as inseparable as HB/LLM
20. Out on the Tiles - Heaviest song on an otherwise mellow album. 
15. Four Sticks - I was largely impartial about this song until I saw it in 1994 when UnLEDed was broadcast for the first time.  Never knew why it was called "Four Stick" until that point.  Beastly
13. Custard Pie - already mentioned it... one of the best riffs in their catalogue.  Still amazed this didn't make Top 40
7. Gallows Pole - UnLEDed also made me a bigger fan of this one than I'd initially been.
3. That's the Way - guitar and vocals + great lyrics and amazing melodies.  This always gives me goosebumps (I'm gettin them now just thinking about the main guitar chords).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #644 on: January 07, 2023, 09:24:52 AM »
These are mine that didn't end up in the overall top 40, there's ten of them:

3   I'm Gonna Crawl
10   The Crunge
12   Sick Again
24   That's the Way
27   Friends
28   D'yer Mak'er
32   Custard Pie
36   Tangerine
37   Hots On for Nowhere
40   Out on the Tiles

Also, I regret not including Hats off to Roy Harper and Hot dog.  ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: January 07, 2023, 11:40:32 AM »
I was the only one to rank Boogie With Stu! Always thought that was a fun little song that never failed to put a smile on my face. And while it didn't rank, it's nice to see others chime in with some love for Tangerine. Also... somehow overlooked Friends, that should have made my list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #646 on: January 07, 2023, 12:49:31 PM »
34. The Wanton Song - one of the heavier rock songs in the catalogue.  Love the drum beats and oft-changing time signatures.

This is one that I inadvertently overlooked.  I should've had it in the 20s (or higher).  It's entirely in 4/4, but it does have a fair amount of syncopation, which is something that Zep used well on many occasions.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: January 07, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »

This is one that I inadvertently overlooked.  I should've had it in the 20s (or higher).  It's entirely in 4/4, but it does have a fair amount of syncopation, which is something that Zep used well on many occasions.

We’ll shit. Shows you how much I remembered (learned) about music theory.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #648 on: January 07, 2023, 04:42:17 PM »

They had a lot of sneaky odd time stuff (bridge of Stairway before the guitar solo) and a bunch of stuff in 4/4 that sounds odd because they messed with the beat and used syncopation.  Screwed up Bonham on more than one occasion if I understand correctly what I've read.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #649 on: January 07, 2023, 05:10:11 PM »
I think I love prog because so many bands today have lost dimension.   When I hear Led Zeppelin,  their songs are so many styles, and that included in a single song. Dimension is lost in popular music these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #650 on: January 07, 2023, 06:05:11 PM »
Couple of quick thoughts on my submissions that ended up not making the cut:

39. Bring It On Home - love that riff, and Bonham's continuous run of fills is fantastic
29. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - just a fun fun fun tune - especially camp-fire side, pounding back some beverages with your boys.  This is aided by the fact it follows my #3 all-time song, and provides a nice counter-punch.
28. Wearing and Tearing - the only redeeming thing on Coda.  Great heavy rocker song perfect for the late 70s/early 80s.  Clearly too heavy/not enough keys for ITTOD.
27. Night Flight - I often waffle as to whether I prefer this, or Ten Years Gone... for some reason I put them in the same category as the 'next best' songs on PG.
26. Celebration Day - love III
25. Friends - LOVE III ... and I find that this + Celebration Day almost as inseparable as HB/LLM
20. Out on the Tiles - Heaviest song on an otherwise mellow album. 
15. Four Sticks - I was largely impartial about this song until I saw it in 1994 when UnLEDed was broadcast for the first time.  Never knew why it was called "Four Stick" until that point.  Beastly
13. Custard Pie - already mentioned it... one of the best riffs in their catalogue.  Still amazed this didn't make Top 40
7. Gallows Pole - UnLEDed also made me a bigger fan of this one than I'd initially been.
3. That's the Way - guitar and vocals + great lyrics and amazing melodies.  This always gives me goosebumps (I'm gettin them now just thinking about the main guitar chords).

I had "That's The Way" at 22, but it easily could've made my Top 5 on another day–I LOVE the song for all of the reasons you described, and yes, there is something about the way Plant sings that melody that just gets me every time. The version from How The West Was Won is pretty spectacular as well.

Online The Realm

« Reply #651 on: January 08, 2023, 02:41:52 PM »
Sorry, been away on holidays so I have missed nearly the whole top half of this countdown.

Just took a look and had a quick read through on what I missed. Have to say that I totally agree with jingle.boy here - can't believe Custard Pie did not make it!

I also think I am a bit of an outlier to the consensus here, I had 14 songs on my list that didn't make the top 40. There was really a big lack of love for Led Zep III in this countdown.

My final list is below, in bold didn't make it:

1   Kashmir
2   Achilles Last Stand
3   Immigrant Song
4   Stairway to Heaven
5   Ramble On
6   Dazed and Confused
7   Heartbreaker
8   Black Dog
9   Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Women)
10   When the Levee Breaks
11   Communication Breakdown
12   Whole Lotta Love
13   Custard Pie
14   The Rover
15   Misty Mountain Hop
16   Good Times Bad Times
17   No Quarter
18   Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
19   What is and What Should Never Be
20   Moby Dick
21   The Song Remains The Same
22   Trampled Under Foot
23   Rock and Roll
24   In My Time of Dying
25   You Shook Me
26   The Lemon Song

27   Thank You
28   Bring it On Home
29   Over the Hills and Far Away
30   Houses of the Holy
31   Down by the Seaside
32   The Wanton Song
33   I Can't Quit You Baby
34   How Many More Times

35   Since I've Been Loving You
36   Gallows Pole
37   Celebration Day
38   Out On The Tiles
39   Tangerine
40   That's The Way

As always, thanks Kev for running this countdown. Now I just need to finalise my PT list and submit.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #652 on: January 08, 2023, 05:24:41 PM »
^^ How Many More Times made the list at #32.

Online The Realm

« Reply #653 on: January 08, 2023, 06:09:23 PM »
^^ How Many More Times made the list at #32.

Ah yes! It did, thanks Dave. I did this quickly so thought there was every chance I would stuff it up. So I had 13 songs that didn't make my own list these were:

Hey, Hey, What Can I Do
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Carouselambra
All My Love
Fool in the Rain
In The Light
Dancing Days
The Ocean
Going to California
The Battle of Evermore
In The Evening
Ten Years Gone
The Rain Song

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #654 on: January 09, 2023, 10:06:36 AM »

They had a lot of sneaky odd time stuff (bridge of Stairway before the guitar solo) and a bunch of stuff in 4/4 that sounds odd because they messed with the beat and used syncopation.  Screwed up Bonham on more than one occasion if I understand correctly what I've read.

That was the beauty and magic of Zeppelin, though, the time.  IMO, all the covers always played it too strict to both tempo and time signature.   Heart usually got it right, and Temple Of The Dog got it right, too.   I think it was Dave that pointed out a moment on "How The West Was Won" that perfectly highlights how you can hear the band moving toward a trainwreck, then at the last moment Bonham pulls them all to safety.   To me, those were always the best (live) moments for Zeppelin.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: January 14, 2023, 07:54:01 AM »
02 Kashmir #6    a main reason that Side Two of PG is one of my all time Top Five nonQueen album sides.

01 Stairway To Heaven #2    all the accolades have already been said

Did not make the list (many were close)
40   Bring It On Home
39   Candy Store Rock
37   Four Sticks
34   Your Time Is Gonna Come
33   Down By The Seaside
31   Hot Dog (as TAC put for his #3 pick, this my 'HELL NO' chance of making the DTF list.  But...back in the 80s, a friend's band would often play this at the end of their break, turn it up, maybe square dance for 15-30 seconds, yell 'yee hah' into the mike at the end, and start with the next.  Great memories)
29   I’m Gonna Crawl
28   Custard Pie
26   South Bound Saurez
24   You Shook Me
13   D'yer Mak'er (I had heard two songs from I, two from II (still no 'Heartbreaker' :D, one from III, and four from IV prior to this.  So, if you were 15 when this was released, you’d understand😉)

I’m kicking myself for leaving a few off my list (and I'd only avoid one…).  I just wasn't able to give this full attention at the time.

37  Carouselambra 
34  In The Light 
32 (t) How Many More Times   :facepalm:
31  Thank You 
28  Houses Of The Holy   :facepalm:
24  The Rover  :facepalm:
15  Ten Years Gone
14  The Song Remains The Same
12  Babe I’m Gonna Leave You   :facepalm:
07  The Rain Song
03  Achilles Last Stand 

From reading the feedback throughout this (other than a couple of  individuals), just let me add a few onto their lists, and I wouldn't have a complaint in listening to their lists.

Thanks again, Kev.  :tup  A top 50 would have been easier.  (same with 40 for Billy Joel 😉)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!