4 (6.7%)
Pale Communion
12 (20%)
Sorceress
4 (6.7%)
In Cauda Venenum
9 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Opeth: The Clean Vocals Album Poll  (Read 2822 times)

Offline geeeemo

Re: Opeth: The Clean Vocals Album Poll
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2023, 03:28:47 PM »

When I saw them recently I thought the balance between all of their elements was perfect. I think their current style with a touch of death metal (including vocals) would be the sweet spot for me.

Totally This.

I am Just getting into Opeth. It clicked for me about 6 weeks ago when watching Garden of the Titans. What a great mix of growl/no growl. I am not much into growling, but their sound is awesome. And MA's voice is enchanting....Frankly so is he...
I am just getting acquainted and starting with probably more NewPeth, but I have to say. Ghost Reveries is Really growing on me.
I voted for Sorceress, because right now I really dig several songs on it. It could very well change once more time has passed.
I do get bored with some of the slow stuff, I need energy in my music. But, all in all, I have listened to them pretty much exclusively since the switch went off.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2023, 03:39:00 PM »
I voted for 'In Cauda Venenum' which for me is the best of their worst.
Everything since Watershed has been downhill for Opeth, they dropped the growls and lost their might.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2023, 02:29:13 AM »
I really don’t understand how Damnation is absolutely dominating this poll. It’s easily the most boring and samet album out of the bunch. The majority of the songs isn’t even that good (please, stop ever playing Windowpane, that absolute snoozefest, live). Is this nostalgia speaking because it was released alongside Deliverance?

I voted Heritage, but could have gone with Pale Communion too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2023, 09:57:13 AM »
The majority of the songs isn’t even that good (please, stop ever playing Windowpane, that absolute snoozefest, live).

This is such an abysmally bad take I can't even give you props for voting for Heritage. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2023, 02:23:12 PM »
I like Heritage a lot, but it doesn't have any super awesome songs.

I listened to In Cauda Venemum last night. Thought it was 'alright'

Listened to Heritage this morning on my hour drive in to work and thought it was pretty boring. Good 'background' music but never heard anything that jumped out to me to get the juices flowing.

I believe you were the one who recommended 'Damnation' and 'Pale Communion' to me for the soft vocal Opeth. Going to listen to the others in this poll as well but right now those two are 1 and 2 for me.

:tup :tup

I really don’t understand how Damnation is absolutely dominating this poll. It’s easily the most boring and samet album out of the bunch. The majority of the songs isn’t even that good (please, stop ever playing Windowpane, that absolute snoozefest, live). Is this nostalgia speaking because it was released alongside Deliverance?

I am guessing that is because a lot of people think it is the best album of the choices in the poll.  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2023, 05:57:13 PM »
Just listened to Sorceress for the first time…..I REALLY like that one  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2023, 01:27:36 AM »

I voted Damnation but like I said these are my bottom 5 Opeth albums. The main reason it's the better of the bunch for me is that there's no stupid "let's make this sound like an album made in the 70s" push with Damnation. It just sounds like a classic Opeth album minus the growls. So while it's still a bit one dimensional, it still has that vibe of those other SW produced albums at that time. Heritage would maybe be my second pick out of these and had it been recorded/mixed/produced to sound like an album made in 2011 and not the 70's it would probably have been my top pick.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2023, 09:03:06 AM »
ICV is their masterpiece, end of.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2023, 05:25:45 AM »
ICV is their masterpiece, end of.

I wouldn't quite say masterpiece personally, but it is incredibly good.

In the interest of showing high highly I do rate the newer Opeth albums, compared to their first three, here's my full album ranking...

1. Ghost Reveries
2. Watershed
3. Blackwater Park
4. Still Life
5. Damnation
6. In Cauda Venenum
7. Deliverance
8. Pale Communion
9. Sorceress
10. My Arms, Your Hearse
11. Morningrise
12. Heritage
13. Orchid

Offline Volante99

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2023, 09:48:27 PM »
Heritage would maybe be my second pick out of these and had it been recorded/mixed/produced to sound like an album made in 2011 and not the 70's it would probably have been my top pick.

Heritage is, production/mix wise, the best sounding album they’ve ever done. The vocal and drum sounds alone are to die for. On a good system it legitimately sounds like the band is in the room with you.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2023, 06:36:13 AM »

Sorceress is a strange addition to their catalog. Great/interesting songs with production so odd that it had to be an artistic choice. I tend to forget about this album, but whenever it pops up, I really enjoy it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2023, 07:32:18 AM »

Sorceress is a strange addition to their catalog. Great/interesting songs with production so odd that it had to be an artistic choice. I tend to forget about this album, but whenever it pops up, I really enjoy it.

I dig the quirkiness of it all.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2023, 07:48:24 AM »
Pale Communion is my favourite of the non-growl albums. Mainly for that one-two punch of the opening songs Eternal Rains Will Come and Cusp Of Eternity.

Damnation is pretty same same throughout, chill acoustic music for a Sunday afternoon. Nothing more. I like Windowpane though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.