Author Topic: Pick Your Remake(s)  (Read 3302 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Pick Your Remake(s)
« on: January 03, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »
I read that 'they' are going to reboot the Harry Potter Series....which to me not only is not necessary it also seems really 'quick' given that HP is still a popular franchise. Anyway, seeing that Hollywood is quick to jump on a reboot of past successes....what would you 'like' to see remade? If you have any at all?

I get that there is the sentiment out there that nothing needs to be remade and Hollywood should move on to new and original content....but for fun....what would you like to see remade?

A couple I wouldn't mind would be"

- 'The Last Starfighter'    I think modern tech. could really spruce this one up. Loved the OG but it'd be neat to see it get a refresh of sorts.
- 'Enemy Mine'   Same sentiment. Cool Story that I think technology could enhance.
- 'Time Bandits'    Could be cool, although the feel and tone of that movie are what makes it interesting.

And.....I'll get burned at the stake for this.....I personally wouldn't mind seeing (once Hamill, Ford are no longer living) a reboot of the OT to tie together all the afterthought Cannon that was shoehorned in. Not a shot for shot....line for line per say....but a cohesive story that includes all the added storyline that wasn't even thought of during the OT.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Pick Your Remake(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 12:05:32 PM »
I've been scratching my head over this question for some time now and am mainly coming up with sequels. The only movie I can think of at the moment that I'd like to see a fresh take on is Cowboys vs Aliens. I thought that was a killer concept with garbage execution.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »
I feel like the best remake would be a movie that wasn't amazing but has a cool concept enough where it could be.

My pick would be Waterworld. Mad Max on water with weird gangs and pirates and camps? Floating cities? The search for land? It could be awesome. The Kevin Costner movie is just pretty mediocre in my opinion but the concept is cool.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 01:01:24 PM »
Doing Harry Potter again? only if it's animated, or when Radcliffe will be old enough to play Dumbledore. Lord of the Rings is 20 years old and no one is talking about a reboot, so the HP movies should better last for an entire generation.

And.....I'll get burned at the stake for this.....I personally wouldn't mind seeing (once Hamill, Ford are no longer living) a reboot of the OT to tie together all the afterthought Cannon that was shoehorned in. Not a shot for shot....line for line per say....but a cohesive story that includes all the added storyline that wasn't even thought of during the OT.

All things considered, it's not even such a horrible idea. Once you remove yourself from the immense attachment people have to this series, it's not that dissimilar to remaking an album once you have the budget for a proper production (and maybe some unfinished songs that were eventually completed). We could have proper coherent dialogue, have the Emperor with a more prominent role, remove the wacky Luke and Leila triangle, and give a sense of "yeah, we know what we're doing" that stands a full rewatch.

Then again, should they account for a reboot of the prequel trilogy as well?  :D how should they deal for example with the line "when I left you I was only the apprentice", when in reality it was Obi-Wan to leave him.... for dead.... to burn away with his limbs chopped off?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 01:01:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind a high quality remake of home alone. They've tried and failed many times so I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I've always adored Clue and think that could be fun.

Back to the future could be decent if done right.

The real problem is that for every Al pacino scarface or john carpenter the thing, there's tons of god awful remakes. But ultimatley, I am definitely down for any remake honestly if made decently.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 01:02:36 PM »
I wouldn't mind a high quality remake of home alone. They've tried and failed many times so I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The real problem is that for every Al pacino scarface or john carpenter the thing, there's tons of god awful remakes. But ultimatley, I am definitely down for any remake honestly if made decently.

Noooooooooooooooo

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 01:24:34 PM »

All things considered, it's not even such a horrible idea. Once you remove yourself from the immense attachment people have to this series, it's not that dissimilar to remaking an album once you have the budget for a proper production (and maybe some unfinished songs that were eventually completed). We could have proper coherent dialogue, have the Emperor with a more prominent role, remove the wacky Luke and Leila triangle, and give a sense of "yeah, we know what we're doing" that stands a full rewatch.

Then again, should they account for a reboot of the prequel trilogy as well?  :D how should they deal for example with the line "when I left you I was only the apprentice", when in reality it was Obi-Wan to leave him.... for dead.... to burn away with his limbs chopped off?  :D

I kind of agree.  The original trilogy is sacred to me, but I wouldn't hate a "reboot" IF IT'S DONE PROPERLY.  The problem is that I'm not particularly confident that either the original or current owner of the rights to do it would do it right.

Noooooooooooooooo

Yeah...that's a big no.

I stumbled on a BTTF documentary last week.  I didn't watch all of it because it was half interviews with folks involved and half footage of some random fan group.  The one thing that intrigued me is that Zemeckis or someone of that ilk mentioned that all of the original footage with the original Marty actor still exists and WILL BE released at some point.  Not sure what they're waiting for...the 40th anniversary in 2025, maybe (damn that makes me feel old!).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 03:06:18 PM »
Logan's Run - still a decent enough watch but hampered by 70's cheese.
Needful Things - One of Kings best, given a completely incompetent and cheap adaption.
Last Action Hero - Pretty awesome concept with inept execution.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 04:37:54 PM »
hhmmmm interesting idea.  I'll have to noodle on this, but incredibly, Time Bandits was one that came to mind.  I also like the idea or Last Starfighter and Enemy Mine.  Thinking about some other Sci-Fi movies that I have very little recollection of, but I'm certain they'd benefit from a little 'modernizing'.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Flash Gordon
Buck Rogers
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Dragonslayer

Careful what you ask for though... Robocop in theory should've been a good one, but the originality of the initial one trumps the 'moderinizing' of the reboot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
The Last Starfighter is always the first one that comes to mind when speculating on this. Enemy Mine...never saw it, but will correct that soon. I honestly wouldn't touch Time Bandits, I just can't envision that flick without Cleese or Palin.

Gonna bounce this around a bit, see what comes up.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 08:34:03 PM »
Interesting topic. I guess I'd have to break it down in to 2 categories: the reboot (which I generally hate) and the update (for film making purposes). I'm going to think on this for a bit.

Huge fan of Clue here. They could do a totally new story, while still staying true to the formula, which is basically "get the 6 characters in to a mansion, and let hilarity ensue." It wouldn't even need to be a comedy. You could really take this anywhere.

Also... it has been in the works for a while...

cinemablend.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-clue-remake-is-still-happening-has-taken-a-major-step-forward

Love ya Gary, but I'll be first in line with the matches.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 11:03:28 PM »
Ghostkeeper. The original is a Canadian horror movie that's supposed to be about a Wendigo. Problem is halfway through production they realized they were running out of money fast and if they ran out there was no guarantee they could get more. So they threw the second half in the trash and made the rest up as they went hoping at least to keep the atmosphere intact. They succeeded and the movie is actually pretty decent all things considering. It maintains that old school creepy haunted house feeling throughout. Though the plot itself completely falls apart and there is less than 5 minutes of the monster. I've always wanted to see what it was supposed to be.

Burglar. Lawrence Block is one of my favorite authors and one of his series is about a Burglar named Bernie Rhodenbarr and Later his best friend/occasional accomplice Carolyn. It's a more light hearted fun series compared to his usual work and SHOULD have been perfect for a movie. They turned Bernie to Bernice and Carolyn to Carl. So it became a Whoopi Goldberg and Bobcat Goldthwait movie. It didn't turn out very good.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 06:43:30 AM »
The Dark Tower - Fantastic books, awful movie. Needs to be rebooted as a TV series which is truer to the books.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 06:53:56 AM »
I read that 'they' are going to reboot the Harry Potter Series....
My understanding is that they're looking to tell other stories within the HP universe, not remake movies based on the HP books.

This brings up a point that annoys me. The term reboot is thrown about all the time in many different circumstances. Reboot is used for remakes (redoing the original story with new actors with slight tweaks to modernize), sequels (e.g. Jurassic World), or what I consider to be a true reboot of taking a character and making a new movie completely unrelated to the old movies (e.g. Spiderman Homecoming).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 06:56:24 AM »
Soupy already said my first pick. Logan's Run. What a cool story with such a low budget that just kind of ruined it. If they can update the look without having to update the entire story to make it more dark and dramatic, that would be great.

Of course Soupy also said Last Action Hero and that's a hard disagree. That was a great execution of a great idea.

Another pick that is a bit odd is the movie 1969. It's a not too well known movie from 1988 starring Downey Jr and Keifer Sutherland. The movie has some really great heart and humanity in it but at 90 minutes or so, it's underbaked. It really needs to be more developed and progressed. I think a new version of that same story that is just expanded a bit would be amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 07:07:32 AM »
I read that 'they' are going to reboot the Harry Potter Series....
My understanding is that they're looking to tell other stories within the HP universe, not remake movies based on the HP books.

That would make more sense if that's what they were planning. I thought it odd that they'd just redo it all given the originals are still pretty popular.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 07:11:51 AM »
Enemy Mine...never saw it, but will correct that soon.

It's a really cool movie.....Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr. For as 'sci fi' as it was it had some good human elements to it and they told a really cool story. I think an updated version of it could be neat, but as with most of these....the originals just had that 'feel' that can't be recaptured.

I honestly wouldn't touch Time Bandits, I just can't envision that flick without Cleese or Palin.

Totally get what you're saying here.....that original is just so unique and cool. But I really like the concept and idea behind it and that's why I suggested it. If done right it could be good. But the 'quirkiness' of the OG and 'look' is what sold it and made it good.

Careful what you ask for though... Robocop in theory should've been a good one, but the originality of the initial one trumps the 'moderinizing' of the reboot.

Yep....it'd be a fine line for sure. A lot of those 80's greats just have the look and feel that can't be recaptured.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 07:12:35 AM »
hhmmmm interesting idea.  I'll have to noodle on this, but incredibly, Time Bandits was one that came to mind.  I also like the idea or Last Starfighter and Enemy Mine.  Thinking about some other Sci-Fi movies that I have very little recollection of, but I'm certain they'd benefit from a little 'modernizing'.

Flash Gordon
Buck Rogers
Dragonslayer

Not picking on you, but I wouldn't mind a reboot to tell the story better, but I'm not at all interested in a reboot to "modernize" it.  For me, the "modernizing" is fraught with peril, unless it's done perfectly.  Too many of the big movies these days are so cliched; everyone has their catch phrase, their quips, and too many of the premises are just so over the top as to be ridiculous. They have to be, because if they don't make a Brazilian dollars, it's deemed a failure.  I don't need "Close Encounters" with Rowdy Roddy Piper and a space ship that is capable of destroying the universe.  That movie works so well to me BECAUSE of it's intimacy. 

Here's one:  Don't Worry Darling.   The premise is all there; Olivia Wilde completely botched the execution. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 07:15:13 AM »

Yep....it'd be a fine line for sure. A lot of those 80's greats just have the look and feel that can't be recaptured.
There was definitely some 80s magic in some campy or cheesy action movies that made them great and can't be recaptured.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 08:03:52 AM »

Flash Gordon
Buck Rogers
Dragonslayer

Not picking on you, but I wouldn't mind a reboot to tell the story better, but I'm not at all interested in a reboot to "modernize" it.  For me, the "modernizing" is fraught with peril, unless it's done perfectly.  Too many of the big movies these days are so cliched; everyone has their catch phrase, their quips, and too many of the premises are just so over the top as to be ridiculous. They have to be, because if they don't make a Brazilian dollars, it's deemed a failure.  I don't need "Close Encounters" with Rowdy Roddy Piper and a space ship that is capable of destroying the universe.  That movie works so well to me BECAUSE of it's intimacy. 

Here's one:  Don't Worry Darling.   The premise is all there; Olivia Wilde completely botched the execution.

I don't disagree.  I guess the "modernizing" of it is towards the overall tone, the visuals, the audio etc ...  I'm thinking along the lines of Dune (and yes, it's a bad example because it's adaptation from existing material).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 08:55:09 AM »

Love ya Gary, but I'll be first in line with the matches.  :)

Well....to fuel the fire even more and play the game I'd keep McGregor cast as Kenobi   :biggrin:    'IF' this were to hypothetically happen it'd be years from now and he'd have aged to the point of where he could play an older Kenobi obviously in a perfect manner. You could also then 'hypothetically' have an older Hayden Christensen portraying Vader as well

****steps back to watch blood boil****

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 11:25:19 AM »
I read that 'they' are going to reboot the Harry Potter Series....which to me not only is not necessary it also seems really 'quick' given that HP is still a popular franchise.

The new management wants to capitalize on the HP IP, but the Fantastic Beasts movies are seen as something of a failure. 

Anyway, seeing that Hollywood is quick to jump on a reboot of past successes....what would you 'like' to see remade? If you have any at all?

I get that there is the sentiment out there that nothing needs to be remade and Hollywood should move on to new and original content....but for fun....what would you like to see remade?

A couple I wouldn't mind would be"

- 'The Last Starfighter'    I think modern tech. could really spruce this one up. Loved the OG but it'd be neat to see it get a refresh of sorts.
- 'Enemy Mine'   Same sentiment. Cool Story that I think technology could enhance.

Both good choices.  The book Enemy Mine was based on, and the subsequent sequels are very good, and the film made some changes based largely, I think, on budget constraints.  So, a new version could be good.

Mine is Highlander.  I love the original, despite its weaknesses, but the sequels were ill-conceived.  A reboot is supposedly in the works with the John Wick director and Henry Cavill being discussed for the lead role.  Bigger budget and modern FX, along and a more open-ended. . . ending could launch a cool new series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 11:41:21 AM »
Mine is Highlander.  I love the original, despite its weaknesses, but the sequels were ill-conceived.  A reboot is supposedly in the works with the John Wick director and Henry Cavill being discussed for the lead role.  Bigger budget and modern FX, along and a more open-ended. . . ending could launch a cool new series.

I was going to say that one as well....but I think skipping the movie and just go right to a high budget series would be a cool way to go with this one ALA Game of Thrones. Give it 8-10 episodes a season to really dig into the characters and story.

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2023, 11:43:03 AM »
I think the issue with Highlander is the lore. Without it, you can make one really cool movie about immortals trying to kill each other. Doing that more than once just becomes redundant and boring. But bringing in lore risks doing exactly what the original series of movies did, makes it weird and uninteresting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 12:09:47 PM »
I think the issue with Highlander is the lore. Without it, you can make one really cool movie about immortals trying to kill each other. Doing that more than once just becomes redundant and boring. But bringing in lore risks doing exactly what the original series of movies did, makes it weird and uninteresting.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2023, 12:12:59 PM »
I do think it should be future Highlander tradition to cast a random person a Scotsman and a legit Scotsman as a Spaniard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2023, 12:40:15 PM »
John Carpenters “The Fog”.

It was redone, horribly, in 2005, but in the right hands it could be great.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2023, 04:03:25 PM »
I've pondered Buck Rogers before. Loved it as a kid.

Lord Of The Rings is another I've had conversations with people about. I'm not a huge fan of the books but the Jackson movies, whilst I was well impressed by the achievement at the time, have a real lack of atmosphere in many places and a bunch of characters annoy the hell out of me. Gollum, the Hobbits. They probably need to veer further from the books to improve the plot too (like the films, they get a bit dull as they go on) but the main thing is atmosphere. The books feel rustic and dusty, and there's are a huge feeling of dread and weight to them. The movies were a great achievement but often feel slick, lightweight and annoying. (Not seen the Hobbit films bar half the first one.)

There's been a Judge Dredd / Mega City 1 series in planning for years now. It doesn't count as a reboot, quite? But that would be terrific. The thing about Dredd is that the city is the real character, for the most part. Dredd's an unmoving antihero in this ongoing satire of people acting like chumps. There's so many entertaining stories they could pull on there. Could be so great.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 12:13:03 AM »
Anyone watch that remake of V? I loved that series as a kid, and I had interest in watching the remake, but I never got around to it. Seems like there was a solid foundation that would allow for updates and changes, that would be faithful to the original yet could branch out in new directions.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 12:22:20 AM »
Anyone watch that remake of V? I loved that series as a kid, and I had interest in watching the remake, but I never got around to it. Seems like there was a solid foundation that would allow for updates and changes, that would be faithful to the original yet could branch out in new directions.

I think I watched the first episode when it initially appeared but that's all. I also loved the original. Can't remember why the remake didn't stick. Nothing in particular. Could have just been a mood thing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2023, 12:29:29 AM »
Seemed like there was a bunch of build-up, maybe it didn't live up to the hype. Same thing with The Stand. I am very fond of the novel and original TV miniseries, and had no intention of watching the remake, but it seemed like it was all over the internet, until it hit the air. Then... nothing. Haven't heard a peep about it since.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2023, 07:11:27 AM »

I think I watched the first episode when it initially appeared but that's all. I also loved the original. Can't remember why the remake didn't stick. Nothing in particular. Could have just been a mood thing.

I watched it. They tried.....but it didn't replace the original as far as when I think of 'V'.....i think of the original. It wasn't bad....just didn't do anything special to really up the bar or stand out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2023, 10:59:30 AM »
Logan's Run
Space 1999

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2023, 11:18:03 AM »

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!

I think you mean, "there can be only one!"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2023, 11:21:25 AM »

Maybe.  Having all the immortals killed in the first movie really hamstrung them on what they could do with an sequels.  Especially given The Prize that was won.  I never watched the tv series, but they apparently found something more to do with the premise for 6 seasons.