Author Topic: Official DTF Seinfeld Appreciation Thread V. It's a Thread About Nothing!  (Read 34126 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
You can tell Jerry is the one who struggles with that the most IMO - he feels like the one who most often 'loses it' at the others being hysterical or the situation he finds himself in being absurd. With that said I think that works in the show's favor because Jerry is the 'normal guy' of the friend group and many of the crazy situations happen because of his friends so it's almost fitting in a way that he as the 'narrator' is the one to react in a way like "this is too funny to be happening".  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Richards, to his credit, was the best of the four by far of not breaking character.   I have watched the outtakes and bloopers more times than I can count, and he would get frustrated at times when someone would break, but hey, JLD once said that no one was a bigger fan of the show than they were, so the cast knew that what they were doing was hysterical, and they knew it in real time.  And it is human nature. When something is funny to you, you laugh.  I always find if fun to re-watch episodes and try to find moments where someone is close to breaking character, or even doing it a little, like when Jerry is trying not laugh at being read the riot act by the library cop, who ad libbed the line, Sure, go ahead and laugh if you want," because Jerry was legit trying not to laugh, or the scene where Jerry notices Kramer's teeth are discolored due to smoking ("Look away, I'm hideous!"). There are several sudden camera angle changes in that scene to where I always think they had to cobble what we saw in the episode from God only knows how many takes.

I always thought Elaine at the car rental check-out counter was on the verge of peeing herself as well, and managed to get thru (after lord knows how many takes) by just letting out a little chuckle.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

Philip Baker Hall, who played the Library detective, has passed away at age 90.

https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/1536384942384353281?s=20&t=W7haUjtWYSozcQyosCxUQA

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
when Jerry is trying not laugh at being read the riot act by the library cop, who ad libbed the line, Sure, go ahead and laugh if you want," because Jerry was legit trying not to laugh
That is absolutely one of my favorite scenes in the whole length and breadth of the show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I would have no idea how to narrow it down to just one scene.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
He had an extensive career, and every headline I've seen references "Philip Baker Hall... of Seinfeld..." which just goes to show 1) how much of a landmark show that was, and 2) how awesome he was in that role.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
He was one of those actors who always seemed to pop up in everything.  R.I.P.

As for one scene, I could maybe narrow it down to Mel Torme singing to (what they thought was a mentally challenged) Kramer.  The combo of Michael Richards' reactions and the booming laughs of Larry David and Julia Louis-Dreyfus off camera just make it pure gold.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
As for one scene, I could maybe narrow it down to Mel Torme singing to (what they thought was a mentally challenged) Kramer.  The combo of Michael Richards' reactions and the booming laughs of Larry David and Julia Louis-Dreyfus off camera just make it pure gold.

I never caught that laughter. But yes, great call on that scene for sheer absurdity and hilarity. Probably wouldn't pass muster in 2022. Along those lines, the one scene I always remember is after Jerry tanks that gal's puffy shirt idea, and they leave the diner and see the bums with the shirts on, a gal in the audience audibly cries "Oh my god..." before the laughter erupts.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
For me, there's the obvious ...

This too...

or ...

Or him as the underwear model.  And also when he has to get rid of his briefs

It would seem all my fave moments involve Kramer.

But now that I think about it a bit, George's 'Marine Biologist' monologue is right up there.

Offline crazy climber dude

This clip is really two scenes, but includes my favorite scene (the first of the two, and is all one take).....and the second scene is a continuation of the first. As such, not only is it the best sequence in a Seinfeld episode... it's JLD at her finest, and perhaps one of the greatest 3 and a half minutes in a sitcom ever.

https://youtu.be/YSJ7AKcHgLI

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I so rarely see that JLD scene because it is in an otherwise poor episode.  There are a handful of Seinfeld episodes from the early seasons I never re-watch, and The Busboy is one of them.

George's marine biologist is definitely way up there for sure.

One little moment that makes me LOL for real every time is from The Pen, when the neighbor lady comes in and goes, "So, where's the new pen?"  Morty's eye roll, which basically says, "here we go," is freaking priceless.  That kills me every time.  1:37 in the below link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HCBn7IjJB0

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Big fan of "I'm out!".  Also "Vandalay Industries!  Vandalay Industries!" 

But I don't know Seinfeld as well as some of you do. I probably should give it a watch sometimes.

Online HOF

Yes to both the Marine Biologist ("the sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli!") and the "And you wanna be my latex saleseman" scenes. I quote from both of them frequently!

Online HOF

Today is June 14th, relevant to another classic Seinfeld bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=XmzFuml18bA

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Big fan of "I'm out!".  Also "Vandalay Industries!  Vandalay Industries!" 

"And you want to be my latex salesman"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That is one magic lugi!

So many great one-liners.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

That is one magic lugi!

That was good. I don't recall seeing that before.  "Back, and to the left!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
"My Boys need a house." - Kramer

"The only thing between him & us is is a thin layer of gaberdine." - Jerry

"It be so." - Kramer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVUe2Ha6dg

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

That is one magic lugi!

That was good. I don't recall seeing that before.  "Back, and to the left!"

You need to check that episode out. I can especially relate to Jerry better as an adult with the whole “helping a guy move is a whole new level of friendship” thing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
"My Boys need a house." - Kramer

"The only thing between him & us is is a thin layer of gaberdine." - Jerry

"It be so." - Kramer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVUe2Ha6dg

Didn't watch (don't have to)  .... that's another fantastic scene.
"BOXERS!?!?!  How do you wear these things?  They're riding up on me; THERE'S NOTHING HOLDING ME IN PLACE.  I'm flippin, I'm floppin'.".

I was looking for a gif of him slapping his entire pile of gitch on Jerry's table.

"Well I'm just gonna have to move now"

I'm kinda curious how accurate my quotations are - I'm going completely from memory on all of these (which I hope all of you are as well).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
That .gif of Kramer in the slim fit jeans is my #1 favorite Kramer moment from the show.

Offline T-ski

Any time my wife, kid, or I sneeze, we always say, “you’re so good looking.”
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline SoundscapeMN

https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/1536384942384353281?s=20&t=W7haUjtWYSozcQyosCxUQA

RIP.

I loved him in so many bit scenes. From Cheers, to Boston Legal, to Psych. The guy was such a good deadpan comedic actor at times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The blooper of Kramer drinking the beer is still so awesome (at the end of the clip below).  They should have left that as is in the actual episode, as it would have fit his character perfectly, and the actor playing the accountant in the scene not laughing at all still seems like an amazing accomplishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCiqR6grJzY

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that blooper cut would've worked just fine too.

Online HOF

RIP.

I loved him in so many bit scenes. From Cheers, to Boston Legal, to Psych. The guy was such a good deadpan comedic actor at times.

Psych is one of my favorite TV shows, if not my favorite TV show, ever. I forgot he was in that. He's one of those guys you just saw everywhere.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Seinfeld is still the greatest show of all time, end of discussion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Found this video in my YouTube feed. Some of these I didn't catch upon my first viewing of the episode, some of these I would have never got to this day as I'd never seen the associated movie.

Seinfeld movie references

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official DTF Seinfeld Appreciation Thread V. It's a Thread About Nothing!
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2023, 09:43:29 AM »
One of the best moments ever:

https://youtu.be/E8n3gFCx09M?t=214

"So let him have bananas on the side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2023, 11:13:38 AM »
"Divorce is always hard. Especially on the kids. Of course I am the result of my parents having stayed together so ya never know." George Costanza.

I've said before Seinfeld's brilliance, aside from the writing, lies not in its star, or co-stars, but in its "minor" characters. And I use minor in quotes as the impact of Frank, Estelle, Newman, Mickey, and the rest is anything but minor.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2023, 11:48:59 AM »
"Divorce is always hard. Especially on the kids. Of course I am the result of my parents having stayed together so ya never know." George Costanza.

I've said before Seinfeld's brilliance, aside from the writing, lies not in its star, or co-stars, but in its "minor" characters. And I use minor in quotes as the impact of Frank, Estelle, Newman, Mickey, and the rest is anything but minor.

I think the term you’re looking for is “secondary”, and yes, I agree with you.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2023, 03:13:48 PM »
Well, the greatness and hilarity of the main four stars cannot be overstated (take any of them out of the equation and the show is not even close to being the same), but, yes, they did always did a great job in casting with the secondary and minor characters, as well as the one-episode ones.