Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 20156 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #49
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2023, 04:35:46 AM »
SUE - Pretty generic Vision Divine or DGM sounding stuff.  I just get nothing out of these vocals anymore to be honest.  This stuff is almost pop to me now.  The singers carry on in the video also was annoying.

Odd Dimension - Meh, this is fine I guess.  I hear Peruvian Skies in the intro and I skipped to the middle once the female singer started.  The instrumental section in the middle was pretty solid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2023, 04:44:44 AM »
You're a hard man to please! :lol  Well, these were 49 and 50, so maybe there will be something further up the list (other than things you already know) that will rub you the right way.  ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2023, 06:17:06 AM »
  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2023, 06:36:41 AM »
Ok Cheffy, here's one you'll relate to.  Not sure if you've ever spun it though, as the band/leader isn't exactly one I would think you'd connect with.

Sixx:A.M. / The Heroin Diaries [2007]

The concept album serves as the companion soundtrack to Sixx's autobiography, The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star, and is about Sixx's severe heroin addiction in 1987.  Helluva way to open it, especially given the time of year (as I was composing this writeup).  I'm kinda feeling some of this opening monologue, unfortunately (albeit, not for the reasons of drug addiction/overdose).  This one is a really nice mix of old-school hard rock, with just a zest of proginess to it.  I never would have expected an outfit fronted by Nikki Sixx could put together something like this.  Such a compelling and personal story, and music that has a depth to it that I never heard from Crue - with a variety of different musical styles coming in and out of the album.  The vibe of the music complements the tone of the story from start to finish.

Fave Song - Life is Beautiful
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 01:58:07 PM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2023, 06:38:14 AM »
SUE - Pretty generic Vision Divine or DGM sounding stuff.  I just get nothing out of these vocals anymore to be honest.  This stuff is almost pop to me now.  The singers carry on in the video also was annoying.

Odd Dimension - Meh, this is fine I guess.  I hear Peruvian Skies in the intro and I skipped to the middle once the female singer started.  The instrumental section in the middle was pretty solid.

In the end, while the Odd Dimension singer is sure as hell talented, I just thought he lacked the personality and flavor of the original singer, who is definitely inferior vocally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #48
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2023, 06:39:02 AM »
I can't do the SixxAM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2023, 06:40:09 AM »
I can't do the SixxAM.

Because of the story, or the music, or the composer?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2023, 06:43:20 AM »
I can't do the SixxAM.

The music. Anything with a lack of real drums is a thumbs down here. Those DJ sounds kill any chance I have of listening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2023, 06:49:13 AM »
I can't do the SixxAM.

The music. Anything with a lack of real drums is a thumbs down here. Those DJ sounds kill any chance I have of listening.

hmph... never really noticed it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2023, 10:18:06 AM »
The Heroin Diaries is a great album!

I remember randomly picking it up as a used CD a few years ago...I had read good things about it, but I was overall a little skeptical. Thought, what the heck, let's try it. And it was a big surprise! Real good songwriting on this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
The Heroin Diaries is a great album!

I remember randomly picking it up as a used CD a few years ago...I had read good things about it, but I was overall a little skeptical. Thought, what the heck, let's try it. And it was a big surprise! Real good songwriting on this one.

Ditto ... except for the buying the CD part.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2023, 12:29:05 PM »
I've heard SixxAM come up a lot over the years and never checked it out. I gave "Life Is Beautiful" a listen and I never knew this was sixxam :lol. It's a great track, will check the rest out after Odd Dimension

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2023, 12:30:48 PM »
There's such a fine line between top tier vocalists and the next level. It's a great song, but I've heard that singer 100 times in a 1,000 bars.  Is it the guy from Panic Channel?  Might be.  How about the guy from Skid Row after Sebastian?   Might be.   Is it Russell Allen?  I don't know, might be.   

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2023, 12:39:16 PM »
It's a great song, but I've heard that singer 100 times in a 1,000 bars. 

I feel that way about most modern prog singers. Sometimes it feels like bands are trading off the same dude who sounds like he is gargling marbles.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »
Since I haven't finished my newest concept album yet, I assume one of my last two will be on the list? Likely spots 1 and 2?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2023, 12:46:00 PM »
There's such a fine line between top tier vocalists and the next level. It's a great song, but I've heard that singer 100 times in a 1,000 bars.  Is it the guy from Panic Channel?  Might be.  How about the guy from Skid Row after Sebastian?   Might be.   Is it Russell Allen?  I don't know, might be.

I can't say I disagree.  What I will say, is 'I don't care'  IMO, it's' no different than saying  'I've tasted this same cut of red meat 1000 times in 100 restaurants'*.  Still sounds fine in my ears.  :biggrin:

Take that Russell Allen hate to P/R!!!   :lol

*methinks I'm gonna get some mileage out of this red meat analogy!  :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2023, 12:50:25 PM »
Since I haven't finished my newest concept album yet, I assume one of my last two will be on the list? Likely spots 1 and 2?

I think I listened to one of them a long time ago when you first were pimping it out <checks bandcamp page>.  Yeah, I seem to remember The Fall of Grace. Shit dude, you've had 3 more albums since then?!?!?  Well hot fuck.  Guess I'm checking those out over the weekend.  TBH, TFoG didn't quite strike me too hard back then.  I'll give it another go though.

But I'm not re-working my list!  #SorryNotSorry

Online Adami

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2023, 01:12:30 PM »

I think I listened to one of them a long time ago when you first were pimping it out <checks bandcamp page>.  Yeah, I seem to remember The Fall of Grace. Shit dude, you've had 3 more albums since then?!?!?  Well hot fuck.  Guess I'm checking those out over the weekend.  TBH, TFoG didn't quite strike me too hard back then.  I'll give it another go though.

Apparently TFoG didn't strike anyone too hard except me haha. All good. Guess it'll be my personal Lulu. Hopefully my other albums aren't all Lulu's too though.

But only one finished since then. Finished writing a third and trying to arrange to record drums in the next few months then eventually find vocalists and such.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2023, 01:16:20 PM »

Apparently TFoG didn't strike anyone too hard except me haha. All good. Guess it'll be my personal Lulu. Hopefully my other albums aren't all Lulu's too though.

But only one finished since then. Finished writing a third and trying to arrange to record drums in the next few months then eventually find vocalists and such.

Maybe Nick is available?  :lol  We should've set you up with Sarah Teets at his wedding (if you need female vocalists)

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2023, 01:18:04 PM »
Personally I'm looking for a singer that makes people think "I've heard that singer 100 times in a 1,000 bars.  Is it the guy from Panic Channel?  Might be.  How about the guy from Skid Row after Sebastian?   Might be.   Is it Russell Allen?  I don't know, might be."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2023, 01:26:56 PM »
Personally I'm looking for a singer that makes people think "I've heard that singer 100 times in a 1,000 bars.  Is it the guy from Panic Channel?  Might be.  How about the guy from Skid Row after Sebastian?   Might be.   Is it Russell Allen?  I don't know, might be."

Stads might be free. :lol :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »

I'm your guy.  I've sung in bands before.   

Is there really a woman named Sarah Teets?   That must've been a hellacious middle school era....

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
Can't imagine that Sixx:AM album would be my thing at all, but in the interest of this thread I'll give it a go.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »

Is there really a woman named Sarah Teets?   That must've been a hellacious middle school era....

Yes... her (voice) and her brother Jeff (guitar/writer) are the founders of the band Mindmaze* - coming soon to a countdown near you!

*which Nick played drums for at one point in a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

Can't imagine that Sixx:AM album would be my thing at all, but in the interest of this thread I'll give it a go.
:tup

Surely 4 minutes isn't terribly onerous to try the song I linked

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2023, 02:20:58 PM »
:tup

Surely 4 minutes isn't terribly onerous to try the song I linked

It's no problem, I'll try the full album. I've got time to spin it tonight.

Edit: OK just finished up. It's not bad at all, my main problem is it's just not where I'm at with musical discovery nowadays. The thing is, there are albums I love from around this time, which are quite similar. I know if I'd actually discovered this in '07 it could've become something I ended up loving, but in 2023 it's just OK.

It's obviously not a knock on it at all, and I'm sure you get where I'm coming from. If I ever get around to doing my own Top 50 thread there would be albums on there, that if I heard today for the first time, I'm sure I'd just be lukewarm on.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:43:00 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2023, 03:44:11 PM »

Yes... her (voice) and her brother Jeff (guitar/writer) are the founders of the band Mindmaze* - coming soon to a countdown near you!

*which Nick played drums for at one point in a long time ago in a galaxy far away.
Mindmaze is gooood! :metal

Not a fan of Sixx:AM. You sent them in one of my roulettes and it was ok, just nothing that stood out to me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »
I thought Nick was with the early Neuromancer phase, and they upgraded before the MindMaze era.

Sarah has a killer voice though, I'll save other thoughts for when Resolve pops up on your list.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2023, 05:31:23 PM »

Not a fan of Sixx:AM. You sent them in one of my roulettes and it was ok, just nothing that stood out to me.

That's a negative Ghost Rider - I've never sent Sixx:A.M. (in anyone's roulette).  I sent you Roswell Six.  Or maybe you're thinking Poison?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2023, 06:15:56 PM »

That's a negative Ghost Rider - I've never sent Sixx:A.M. (in anyone's roulette).  I sent you Roswell Six.  Or maybe you're thinking Poison?

That's a negative hoser. You sent me Sixx:AM in my final EP (which somehow turned into an album) round.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »
I stand corrected, I have submitted them... and to you.

But I'm also not totally wrong, since that submission was a "concept album" showdown vs Katt/Walrus that was sent AFTER being eliminated in your v2, (and you reviewed it a year later)  :D :P

P.S.  I've never sent Sixx AM as a standalone song (that's what I was thinking) - I believe I've sent them a couple times (to Tim too?) as part of a playlist.
P.P.S.  The song I sent you was from a different album.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2023, 07:52:36 PM »
Just listened to that Sixx AM song and it was pretty good. i was expecting more of a sleaze rock sound, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2023, 04:36:00 AM »
That Sixx:AM song was pretty decent for what it was.  Not my thing anymore but I could listen to that song again.  I think.....Brent?.....sent me one of their songs in a roulette which was really good but remembering the album on a whole didn't do much for me.  Unless it was you Chad...

Edit:  Nah was Brent.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:43:11 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2023, 05:11:19 AM »
Just listened to that Sixx AM song and it was pretty good. i was expecting more of a sleaze rock sound, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Right??  That's totally what I was expecting when I came across Sixx:A.M. a few years back.  They are totally NOT what one might expect out of a band named for / founded by Nikki Sixx.

@ Kade... I think maybe Brent had pimped out the Prayers for the Blessed / Damned albums in the B&B podcasts.  I suspect that's how I caught on to them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2023, 07:13:41 AM »
Seventh Wonder - Tiara [2018]

Shit, I didn't even recognize that this was a concept album until I paid a bit more attention to it leading up to PPUSA '19.  I mean, it's a bit of an unexpected story from the band - an alien race called the Everones are unimpressed by the human race and are set to bring judgment upon them. A young girl named Tiara, the only human who can understand messages the aliens are sending is chosen to travel into space to communicate with the aliens, in an attempt to save humanity.  That storyline almost seems plagiarized a bit from a segment of Kevin Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns - maybe it is, maybe it isn't ... doesn't matter really.  This finished 3rd as my 2018 AOTY, and I had to slide it in on this list.
It was 8 long years between SW albums, with Tommy focusing more on Kamelot, but this was a great return to form - giving him a more proggy, slightly less power/symphonic outlet.  This is very polished melodic/prog-rock with symphonic overtones and great vocals (yes, I know Seventh Wonder are often classed as prog metal, but while this is a great album, prog metal it isn't). Tommy Karevik is one of the best frontmen around, and I find he is better suited to the music and style of Seventh Wonder vs Kamelot.  After the opening seque track, the album delivers 12 incredible songs one right after another, with lots of highs, and every track 5* for my ears.  The below "fave" track is kinda out of place in the theme and style of the album as a whole, but I love it none-the-less... and fuck was it fun as hell when they performed it at PPUSA.
Fave Song - By The Light of the Funeral Pyres

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #47 - it's a 'Wonder'
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2023, 09:33:51 AM »
Hmm, never knew it was a concept album either, though I didn't pay too much attention to that. Solid album though, definitely got some air time from me, may have to do a revisit of it. Not as good as the other concept album by them though, which I assume is coming later. Pretty much anything with Tommy fronting gets a thumbs up from me though, dude can fucking sing.