Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 20086 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #50
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »
Yeah, I guess that comment was a little ironic.  I guess I really wouldn't/don't know what genre to classify The Dear Hunter as though.
Yeah absolutely, which is part of what I've always found exciting about their music. They don't neatly fit into any obvious classification - they're certainly within the broader "prog rock" genre, but other styles also feature as a big part of their sound.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »
Spheric Universe Experience / Back Home [2022]

The few songs I heard from this band never really grabbed me. Listened to this album now and it is pretty good. Like it  :tup
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2023, 04:03:20 PM »
Spheric Universe Experience / Back Home [2022]

The few songs I heard from this band never really grabbed me. Listened to this album now and it is pretty good. Like it  :tup

Same.  Their first few albums were hit and miss, and littered with mediocrity.  This one grabbed me pretty hard.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2023, 04:19:16 PM »
The Spheric Universe Experience album is really good. I have it Saved on Spotify.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2023, 04:59:13 PM »

Let's kick it off by the best (and only) 2022 album on the list

Do you not have the Arena album that Damien Wilson sings on, or do you need immediate neurological treatment?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2023, 05:11:51 PM »

Do you not have the Arena album that Damien Wilson sings on, or do you need immediate neurological treatment?

This is a Top 50...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2023, 08:11:11 PM »

Have not listened to it yet.  Not about to spend the kind of money they're charging for a physical copy sound unheard.  Although, I see it's available on iTunes now.  As evidenced by Lalu / Paint the Sky only being an Honorable Mention, Wilson on the mic alone does not guarantee making the list. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2023, 10:51:17 PM »
Lalu’s album is good, although I didn’t realize it was a concept album.  The new Arena is really good.  Up there with The Visitor and Contagion.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2023, 06:58:37 AM »
Lalu’s album is good, although I didn’t realize it was a concept album.  The new Arena is really good.  Up there with The Visitor and Contagion.

See, this isn't helping your case.  I wasn't a terribly huge fan of those.  I found the album on China's YT, so I'll give it a spin later today.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2023, 02:27:31 PM »
Odd Dimension / The Blue Dawn [2021]

The Blue Dawn tells the story of two space travellers – Markus and Eloise – involved in a deviation from their original path caused by the attacks of an unknown population that makes them land on a new planet then called ‘The Blue Planet’ where they’ll have to struggle to live, to the point of creating an army with the very matter of that planet to help them restore order and save their children, who will eventually mix with the hosts created by them, generating a new race.  The story is about as creative as something out of a grade 6 English essay, but who cares.  They had me at "concept album".  And everything about the music, writing and performance kept me.  With soaring vocals (that have a distinct Russel Allen vibe), pounding rhythms, rich guitar work (both lead and rhythm), lots of distorted keyboards, (ala Train of Thought), and background keyboard ambience that drives home the sci-fi/atmospheric theme of the album, melodic piano leads, Dream Theater wishes they could write and perform music this good nowadays.
The below song perfectly encapsulates everything you're going to experience across this album.  It's not actually my favotite song from the album, but the perfect representation of the album.
Fave Song - Escape To Blue Planet (Official Video)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #49
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »
I don't know either of these albums so far.......and I have a feeling a lot of what's going to be on offer here won't really be for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »
The Odd Dimension is an excellent album. It was what, like 8 years between albums. I prefer their older stuff with their other singer, but this is a nice listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »
The Odd Dimension is an excellent album. It was what, like 8 years between albums. I prefer their older stuff with their other singer, but this is a nice listen.

I'll try and remember to sample some songs.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2023, 02:38:42 PM »
I wasn’t aware they had a “new” album

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2023, 02:50:21 PM »
Wasn't there someone here at DTF that was close to or friends with someone in the band?  I coulda swore someone here pimped them out a lot.  I actually was only 'so-so' on their first 2 releases, but this one from last year (well, tecnically "2" years ago now), was one I really could sink my ears in to.

Kade... might not be your thing nowadays, but at one point in your musical life, these would've been your thing.  There are a few coming up soon that you'll go gaga over, and more than a few throughout the list that you may still find appealing.

This song I linked for The Blue Dawn starts slow, but the 2nd half of it is a cracker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2023, 02:56:24 PM »
I wasn’t aware they had a “new” album

Their first album, Symmetrical, came out in 2011. I used to send Lightspeed Journey a lot in the early roulettes that I participated in.

The Last Embrace To Humanity in 2013 was one of my favorite albums of that year. I actually love that album and still listen to it regularly.

I coulda swore someone here pimped them out a lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2023, 02:56:52 PM »
Wasn't there someone here at DTF that was close to or friends with someone in the band?  I coulda swore someone here pimped them out a lot.  I actually was only 'so-so' on their first 2 releases, but this one from last year (well, tecnically "2" years ago now), was one I really could sink my ears in to.

Kade... might not be your thing nowadays, but at one point in your musical life, these would've been your thing.  There are a few coming up soon that you'll go gaga over, and more than a few throughout the list that you may still find appealing.

This song I linked for The Blue Dawn starts slow, but the 2nd half of it is a cracker.

I'll make an effort to sample these mate, just I had no time for music before, at the moment I have less but I won't leave you hanging.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2023, 04:34:26 PM »
I coulda swore someone here pimped them out a lot.

Yeah, there's that, but I thought there was another member here who actually knew someone in the band.  Must be thinking of another outfit.

@ Kade... whatever you can do is cool.  If there's something I think might really tickle you (non-growlie of course), I might call it out.  Follow along though for the shits and giggles.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2023, 04:47:02 PM »
Sounds good pal.  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2023, 08:00:02 PM »
0/2 so far...

Vaguely familiar with both bands, but not enough to really remember much about them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2023, 08:02:52 PM »
Not likely to be your thing. Enjoyable, sure …. Just not enough growls or Japanese for ya.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2023, 08:06:58 PM »
Not likely to be your thing. Enjoyable, sure …. Just not enough growls or Japanese for ya.  :lol

:lol

I honestly think I've moved on from the generic prog/prog metal in my life...I just don't have the staying power for it. I think I'm just ready after so many years of it for something fresh, and the J-metal came along at just the right time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2023, 08:31:24 PM »

I honestly think I've moved on from the generic prog/prog metal in my life...I just don't have the staying power for it. I think I'm just ready after so many years of it for something fresh, and the J-metal came along at just the right time.

Maybe that'll be me when I hit your age!  lol.  I get confused at the use of the word "generic" when referring to prog/power (or any kind) of music - not you specifically, but just generally speaking.  I find very little generic about it the music I listen to.  Similar - sure.  But generic ... well, I could say that all j-metal bands are "generic" because they're largely the same in my ears and I have trouble differentiating from them.  But, that's just my listening habits.  For me, this is like saying "I've moved on from the generic steak in my life" :lol.  I'm not sure I'll ever tire of it (steak, or prog-power metal).  Never say never though.  Heck, Nick has gone vegetarian, so anything is possible.  I could become a vegan some point in my life. #somebodykillme

Don't worry, it won't be long before I've got a few entries for you to rage on me over.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2023, 01:22:23 AM »
I figure I'll give a listen to each of the albums I don't already know. Our tastes aren't super aligned, but there's enough overlap to make it worthwhile I think (especially based on my last roulette or two)!

EDIT: Although maybe that's not such a good thing for you as it'll use up lots of your options for my next roulette, whenever that might be. :lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:32:29 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2023, 04:24:25 AM »
I figure I'll give a listen to each of the albums I don't already know. Our tastes aren't super aligned, but there's enough overlap to make it worthwhile I think (especially based on my last roulette or two)!

EDIT: Although maybe that's not such a good thing for you as it'll use up lots of your options for my next roulette, whenever that might be. :lol

Cool.  I hope something lands in your sonic sweet spot.  As for your next roulette, I'm sure I can figure out a way to make due.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2023, 06:44:03 AM »

Maybe that'll be me when I hit your age!  lol.  I get confused at the use of the word "generic" when referring to prog/power (or any kind) of music - not you specifically, but just generally speaking.  I find very little generic about it the music I listen to.  Similar - sure.  But generic ... well, I could say that all j-metal bands are "generic" because they're largely the same in my ears and I have trouble differentiating from them.  But, that's just my listening habits.  For me, this is like saying "I've moved on from the generic steak in my life" :lol.  I'm not sure I'll ever tire of it (steak, or prog-power metal).  Never say never though.  Heck, Nick has gone vegetarian, so anything is possible.  I could become a vegan some point in my life. #somebodykillme

Don't worry, it won't be long before I've got a few entries for you to rage on me over.

I should say as well, the whole transition in my tastes hit right as we were neck deep in the absolute shittiest part of the pandemic, somewhere between nationwide race riots and an insurrection on our capital, with thousands dying daily. It was the perfect time for five highly skilled, metal af adorable ladies singing about all things positive to take over the center stage of my musical world. I never knew the rabbit hole was so damn deep though.

And the term generic, I think that's more a reference to its hold on me than a criticism of the music itself. I still had Lalu and Marillion in my top 5 out of respect for how good they are, but when it comes to daily listening I just don't turn to them much. Not sure that makes sense, but I'm just at a place mentally and spiritually where the upbeat positivity is what I need in my music.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2023, 06:47:55 AM »
It makes total sense.  Using "generic" as a personal yardstick, rather than an absolute definition.  I can get behind that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2023, 06:48:43 AM »

I should say as well, the whole transition in my tastes hit right as we were neck deep in the absolute shittiest part of the pandemic, somewhere between nationwide race riots and an insurrection on our capital, with thousands dying daily. It was the perfect time for five highly skilled, metal af adorable ladies singing about all things positive to take over the center stage of my musical world. I never knew the rabbit hole was so damn deep though.

And the term generic, I think that's more a reference to its hold on me than a criticism of the music itself. I still had Lalu and Marillion in my top 5 out of respect for how good they are, but when it comes to daily listening I just don't turn to them much. Not sure that makes sense, but I'm just at a place mentally and spiritually where the upbeat positivity is what I need in my music.

This would be a great topic, maybe, for a separate thread.  Did anyone go through any real (MUSICAL) transitions during the pandemic?   I don't think I did, really, although I did listen to more music than normal.  Mine was sort of combination of new things as well as revisiting some old friends that I lost touch with. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2023, 06:56:37 AM »
I did a complete fucking 180.. Going from prog and prog metal to mostly Japanese female rock and metal with a touch of death metal for spice...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2023, 07:01:23 AM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2023, 07:11:50 AM »
My tastes and listening habits have always been really broad and ever-evolving, so no there's not been any particular change since the pandemic beyond the natural evolution of discovering new things that happens to me all the time anyway.

I've never been one to have a particular style that dominates (although in general a lot of my listening is in rock and metal genres, but that's pretty broad and even then it's far from everything I listen to). So a 180 like yours RJ couldn't happen to me in the same way. The only possible comparable thing would be for me to decide I'm no longer interested in loads of what I listen to and only focus on a narrow range of styles, but I don't see that ever happening. My dad is 79 and if anything his tastes have broadened more in recent years as my brother and I introduce him to new things, so I imagine I'll be like that.

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2023, 07:17:37 AM »
:lol amazing

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2023, 08:50:39 AM »
Odd Dimension / The Blue Dawn [2021]
The Blue Dawn tells the story of two space travellers – Markus and Eloise – involved in a deviation from their original path caused by the attacks of an unknown population that makes them land on a new planet then called ‘The Blue Planet’ where they’ll have to struggle to live, to the point of creating an army with the very matter of that planet to help them restore order and save their children, who will eventually mix with the hosts created by them, generating a new race.  The story is about as creative as something out of a grade 6 English essay, but who cares.  They had me at "concept album".  And everything about the music, writing and performance kept me.  With soaring vocals (that have a distinct Russel Allen vibe), pounding rhythms, rich guitar work (both lead and rhythm), lots of distorted keyboards, (ala Train of Thought), and background keyboard ambience that drives home the sci-fi/atmospheric theme of the album, melodic piano leads, Dream Theater wishes they could write and perform music this good nowadays.
The below song perfectly encapsulates everything you're going to experience across this album.  It's not actually my favotite song from the album, but the perfect representation of the album.
Fave Song - Escape To Blue Planet (Official Video)

I freaking loved this track and I'm going to spin the album tomorrow. My only gripe is the terrible narrator voice in the mid part there but I can overlook that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2023, 09:57:24 AM »
The narration on the rest of the album is pretty minimal.  It pops up a few times iirc, but it's not nearly as horrible as a future entry.