Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 19712 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #42 | fearless and gutsy
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2023, 12:52:19 AM »
Well, I can’t sleep so I’m listening to Brave again. I’d say if you want an idea what the album is about, check out the track Runaway. One of Rothery’s finest solos, and the build up at the end is just tremendous. Then go back to the start because you’ve missed the first 10 minutes of the album!

The other thing you can get lost in on this album is Pete’s bass playing. It’s exquisite and prominent throughout. He’s such a huge part of this band.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2023, 07:07:52 AM »
I haven't listened to Brave but I have tried to get into Marillion a few times and it just doesn't click. There is nothing I don't like but nothing hooks me enough to keep exploring.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2023, 09:52:05 AM »
I had thought for some reason that Script was also considered a Concept Album.

That's the only Marillion album that I can listen to.

Guess I will have to sample this one then.

Script...is a cool debut, and the title-track is a truly epic prog-rock tune, but even within the Fish era I much prefer albums like Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws...have you tried those?

Another one I'd recommend is the first record with Steve Hogarth, Seasons End. I find it's a album that's pretty easy to like, with fantastic melodies all over.

Offline HOF

« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »
I had thought for some reason that Script was also considered a Concept Album.

Guess I will have to sample this one then.

Script...is a cool debut, and the title-track is a truly epic prog-rock tune, but even within the Fish era I much prefer albums like Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws...have you tried those?

Another one I'd recommend is the first record with Steve Hogarth, Seasons End. I find it's a album that's pretty easy to like, with fantastic melodies all over.

Script is by far my least favorite Marillion album. It's cool for what it is, but they just got so much better from there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2023, 06:00:19 AM »
Missed yesterday, so how about two today?

Tangerine Circus / The Conspiracy Chronicles [2012/2015]

This one is courtesy of (former) DTF’r and hostage-taker, DarkLordLalinc, whom I had the good pleasure of hanging out with at ProgNation at Sea.  There are two versions of the album, with the re-release being a monumental improvement - the first vocal efforts rendered the album virtually unlistenable.  They were just bad (it was quite a relief when I gave Lalo that feedback, and I learned it was NOT him on the mic, and that they band knew their vocalist was a problem - so they re-released the album a few years later with each of the band members handling various vocal duties).  Despite the thin production, the music is absolutely fantastic - largely on the metal side of prog, but there are some moments in which the music is not that metal at all, just pure prog.  In the bands own words, "it's a tragic story about an oppressing system and its conspiracy for keeping everyone in line. This is a tale of strength of character, political awareness and an epic struggle!" The album builds up to the mid point with the titular 20-minute epic (which, imo is Odyssey-level amazing), then coasts to a very satisfying conclusion over the final act.  The album is on the long side - approaching 80 minutes, so it's a bit of a chore to get thru at times, and it probably would've benefited from a bit of trimming.  If you don't think you've got it in you to spend the next 20 minutes with the below track, I'd encourage at least a listen of the first (Overture) movement, and see if it keeps your interest.
Fave Song - The Conspiracy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2023, 06:02:50 AM »
Ayreon / The Source [2017]

Killer cast… so many of my fave vocalists that made my recent Top 25 singers list (JLB, Floor, Karevik, Allen) and quite a few others who I adore.  This one is heavier than most Ayreon albums; closer to Star One than Ayreon, imo.  I thought this was a great idea to do a prequel to a previous album - it makes me want to listen to 01 right after it … as a quad-disc concept album.  I listened to this a lot in 2017 - it was a Top 10 AOTY, despite being a double disc.  It does take some commitment to have a sit down with it, and I don't come back to it very often these days … hence the relatively low rating here.  I love that it kicks off with the biggest song on the album, giving everyone a fair shot to start the story and journey.  There are a ton of great tunes in here, and despite the absolute cheesiness of Arjen's lyrics sometimes (I've come to accept that aspect of his writing), the music is just too much fun to be turned off by the (at times) pedestrian lyrics.
Fave Song - Star of Sirrah
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #41 & 40 | courtesy of DTF; Arjen
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2023, 08:47:48 AM »
I've been listening to this Ayreon record for the last few days in preparation for continuing Ayreon Discography thread and I'm torn, there are some killer tracks on the album but on the whole it just doesn't quite deliver.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2023, 09:13:15 AM »
I've been listening to this Ayreon record for the last few days in preparation for continuing Ayreon Discography thread and I'm torn, there are some killer tracks on the album but on the whole it just doesn't quite deliver.

I can see what you’re saying, but at the time this dropped, 7 years since the last Star One, I was really loving the heaviness of this. There are some lesser tracks in on here for sure, but still worthy of this Top-50

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2023, 11:26:19 AM »
If you have The Source you got to have a couple more Ayreon still to come. While The Source is a good one, there are definitely better Ayreon records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2023, 12:17:36 PM »
If you have The Source you got to have a couple more Ayreon still to come. While The Source is a good one, there are definitely better Ayreon records.

Wait … Ayreon has other concept albums?!?!?

:lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2023, 12:30:46 PM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2023, 01:34:43 PM »
Never did a deep dive into the Tangerine Circus album, but I do remember enjoying what I heard.

Arjen's work never really clicked for me. I respect deeply what he does, and am in awe of his ability to find the best voices out there, but it just doesn't get a lot of air time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2023, 02:22:47 PM »
Script is by far my least favorite Marillion album.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2023, 04:13:12 PM »
I stopped caring about Ayreon a while ago unfortunately.  Nothing touches THE and 01 was okay but after that I found everything pretty boring.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2023, 04:16:16 PM »
I stopped caring about Ayreon a while ago unfortunately.  Nothing touches THE and 01 was okay but after that I found everything pretty boring.

Pretty much agree dude. Nothing after 01011001 really grabs me. The Source wasn't too bad but Jesus, Transitus felt like such a chore to get through.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 15, 2023, 04:30:28 PM »

Pretty much agree dude. Nothing after 01011001 really grabs me. The Source wasn't too bad but Jesus, Transitus felt like such a chore to get through.

Pretty sure I didn't even listen to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2023, 04:54:40 PM »

Yes also agree with all of the above. And for the record I also couldn't get through Transitus.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2023, 05:54:20 PM »

Transitus is tripe. Listened to it once, maybe twice … it’s awful.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2023, 06:25:14 PM »
Can't claim to be the biggest Ayreon fan but, while the guest singers in THE, 01 etc. are great, I still maintain that his most fun albums are The Final Experiment and Into the Electric Castle  :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2023, 06:26:10 PM »
Script is by far my least favorite Marillion album.

Now I do understand the shock a few weeks ago when the two of you agreed on something  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2023, 06:38:19 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2023, 06:59:23 AM »
39. Flaming Row / Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures [2014]

The band's second release, and final collaboration between Martin Schnella and Kiri Geile …. Sadly, because the subsequent album w/o Kiri sucked ass, and I don't think there will be any more Flaming Row - certainly not anything that approaches the level of awesomeness of the first two releases.  Which is disappointing, as I think the plan was for this to be a 3-album trilogy.  This duo somehow manages to attract an incredibly strong list of vocalists (Ted Leonard, Magali Luyten), and musicians (Jimmy Keegan, Arjen, Billy Sherwood, Dave Meros, Kristoffer Gildenlow Gary Wehrkamp).  While a great album with tons of musical diversity – metal, prog, folk, ballad, funk/jazz etc …  I found it a bit of a difficult story to follow though; it seemed strange that not only were the vocalists playing multiple parts/roles/characters, but additionally, one character would have multiple vocalists singing the role.  For instance, the main protagonist, “John” was voiced by four different singers… while those four singers also voiced different characters – and sometimes the same vocalist singing two different characters in the same song - which oft left me as confused as a baby in a topless bar.  Without routinely following the lyric sheet, there’s simply no way to know what the hell is going on in the story – and even still the story is a little convoluted.
Fun fact… when I saw Spock’s Beard at PPUSA, I had Jimmy/Ted/Dave autograph the cover of this album, and as I ran down the table/line, Ryo was looking confused as Jimmy passed the booklet back to me, and not to him.  He looked at Jimmy and said “did I play on this?”  “No” was Jimmy's response :lol
Fave Song - Aim L45

Or, if you want a better representation of what the album is like, Pictures (Ted is god-fucking-tier despite a fairly limited role on this song).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #39 | It's not an illusion
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2023, 07:53:34 AM »
Alright, finally I can go off on one. The album was definitely meant to be a trilogy, and Martin already had all the music mapped out for it, I had that confirmed when I had drinks with Jimmy before a local Spock's Beard show. Jimmy couldn't stop talking about how much of a genius Martin was (this was obviously before whatever the heck happened between Martin and Kiri that killed the good parts of the band). And I agree with you, while this was a solid album, it doesn't touch Elinoire.

Pictures is definitely the strongest track of the album, and it's not even close for me. In fact, I think it was my song of the year for that year.

Funny sidenote, when I got this and started listening for my review, it was trying to read the liner notes on it that made me realize that my eyesight was finally going to shit, and I bought my first pair of readers. Fuckers.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2023, 08:19:01 AM »
I've no idea what the story here is and I own the album :lol

My favourite track is either Aim L45 or the album opener.

Offline HOF

« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2023, 08:19:49 AM »
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of this one, but I’ll at least check out the track for Ted’s contributions.

Or, if you want a better representation of what the album is like, Pictures (Ted is god-fucking-tier despite a fairly limited role on this song).

Ok, that's a nice song, even apart from Ted's vocals. Will have to check the rest of this out when I have a chance.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 09:50:19 AM by HOF »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2023, 08:43:53 AM »
Alright, finally I can go off on one. The album was definitely meant to be a trilogy, and Martin already had all the music mapped out for it, I had that confirmed when I had drinks with Jimmy before a local Spock's Beard show. Jimmy couldn't stop talking about how much of a genius Martin was (this was obviously before whatever the heck happened between Martin and Kiri that killed the good parts of the band). And I agree with you, while this was a solid album, it doesn't touch Elinoire.

To the bolded parts, it's such a shame (whatever it was... I always suspected there was some kind of romantic involvement between them, and Martin/Melanie's relationship kinda kiboshed that - just my gut feel though... they certainly looked like more than just friends in their 'making of Elinoire' series of YT vids).  The two of them had such great chemistry when it came to music and writing.  It's clear that the 3rd album (totally forget the name of it - based off of The Gunslinger) should've been Mirage Part 2 ... so many melodies and sounds and styles that were on full display with Mirage - clear as day.  But the lyrics and overall musical compositions were crap, and the vocal melodies and performances kinda sucked too.  I think I listened to that once, maybe twice.

And yeah, Pictures is the best them (reprising a lot of the melodies of Aim L45), imo ... I just have a soft spot for the folksy sound of L45, and Maggy's performance of course.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2023, 08:58:06 AM »
Yeah, I always speculated that they had a thing as well, and Melanie came in and was all lol no...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2023, 09:00:49 AM »
It's clear that the 3rd album (totally forget the name of it - based off of The Gunslinger)

The Pure Shite Shine

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2023, 09:29:59 AM »
It's clear that the 3rd album (totally forget the name of it - based off of The Gunslinger)

The Pure Shite Shine

Probably the biggest letdown in our collective lives. I didn't make it through the first spin.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2023, 10:00:27 AM »

The Pure Shite Shine

Probably the biggest letdown in our collective lives. I didn't make it through the first spin.

Personally, The Astonishing deserves that gold medal for that award, but that album is on the podium for sure.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2023, 10:58:35 AM »
I'll give you that point

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2023, 01:21:56 PM »
After somewhat liking Elinoire I remember checking this one out and it didn't leave a lasting impression.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2023, 01:16:04 PM »

I feel similar about the releases in the past decade.  I still like all of it, but something feels missing, and I'm not quite sure what.  Part of it might just be more listening time, I haven't heard any of those more than a few times each.  For me Transitus is actually helped by having the deluxe version with the guide vocals, where I like some of the vocalists better than the ones that are on the album.  But I feel like The Source has the most potential to become better over time, and possibly Revel In Time

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2023, 07:05:02 AM »
Busy day at work yesterday.  So, how 'bout another two?

38. Absolute Priority / Hunter [2012]

The first of a few recommendations coming specifically from RJ, and as is to be expected, it does not to disappoint.  In fact quite the opposite.  It's one of the most unique and captivating stories on this list.  "Hunter" deals with the last moments of a death row serial-killer, Alan, and his confession to a Priest. Alan's flashbacks are divided throughout the 11 tracks and 1 hour runtime. Intensive, atmospheric, dark, frantic & emotional moments pass by, while Alan is narrating all those incidents. The instrumental tracks are there to add a different mood to the story that Alan tells.  And it is capped off with his execution, that is absolutely a God-tier album closer.  Possibly the best closing song in this whole list.  I've used it many times in a Roulette (as have others, iirc), and it always scores well.  I read a review that suggested the album draws influences and inspiration from Queensryche, Fates warning, Kamelot, Vanden Plas, Pain of Salvation, IQ, Shadow Gallery, and Threshold.  That's quite a fucking list.  I'm not sure I hear all of that, but you get the gist of what you're about to listen to (should you take the plunge).  Sadly, the band never did put out another release.  Who knows, maybe they have something in the works, but I highly doubt it.
Fave Song - Dead Man Walkin'
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 07:11:50 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2023, 07:11:34 AM »
37. Rhapsody / Dawn of Victory [2000]

This album holds a special place in my path and journeys of musical exploration and discovery - I simply was not prepared 22 years ago for the Tolkein-meets-Malmstein mashup that my ears were experiencing... and I was floored by it.  I probably shouldn't rate it this high on this particular list.  But, I did, and I only have a few mild regrets that some of already mentioned albums fell below it.  Oh well… I didn't have the appetite to re-jig the ratings.  C'est la vie.  I'll just quote myself from my first Top 50.

Cue the cheese metal.  Yes, it's cheesy, and yes, I love it.  I stumbled on to Rhapsody (before they were Rhapsody of Fire) in 2001 and instantly loved it.  This is one of the first non UK/North American bands that I got into.  I'd never really been exposed to any European music east of the UK before the early part of this millennium, and am now amazed by my ignorance (I've got LOTS of European bands in my catalog today).  Luca Turilli can put together some really raw and heavy riffs to get you into the head-banging mood.  Dawn of Victory is the third in a 5-album story line called the Emerald Sword Saga, virtually it's own concept album, but contributing to the overall story.  I didn't really expand my exploration with Rhapsody chronologically, which is probably the reason this stands as my favorite disc of theirs, and not their first or second release.  Right from the first 30 head banging seconds of the title track, the listener is thrust into a mythical world where a fantastical war meshes with symphonic heavy metal.  Luca Turilli proves his skills on the axe, shredding solo after solo, and riff after riff just like Yngvie did in the 80s. When you allow your mind to be transported into this fantasy world, the lyrics are just badass.

"Face me evil bastard, smell the hate of angels / glory pride and bloodshed
           Cowards and beholders, rapers of my wisdom / mix of dust and bones"

Fave Song - Holy Thunderforce

Edit: It's too bad they didn't have the Frontiers marketing machine behind them 20 years ago - that video was so bad.  Frontiers could've made an epically glorious and amazing-yet-awful-at-the-same-time video out of this song.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 07:17:19 AM by jingle.boy »