Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 19714 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #44 | Knights of the Round Table
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2023, 07:25:07 AM »
W.A.S.P. / The Neon God: Part 1 - The Rise; Part 2 - The Demise [2004]

And this suffers the same fate as the last entry of not having spent enough time with it to rate any higher.  I will be forever grateful to Kade for opening my ears up to W.A.S.P. – I don’t think there’s a thing I’ve listened from them that I haven’t loved.  The only reason that this doesn't rate higher is because after Kade opened my ears to them, I didn’t explore the whole discog (it would've been pretty daunting).  So, I just grabbed their latest release (at the time), and a few of the early classics.  Had I noticed these two mid-life (if it was a "crisis", it was a glorious one :lol) releases by them, I'm sure I would've jumped all over and spun the hell out of these.

The albums tell a story of an abused and orphaned boy named Jesse, who finds that he has the ability to read and manipulate people.  The music is everything that I love about W.A.S.P. … heavy riffs, pounding rhythms, catchy hooks – it’s all right in my wheelhouse.  And there's a certain je ne sais quois in Blackie’s voice.  Sure, he's toast now, but there's a smooth raspiness he had for the bulk of his career that just clicks with me (and clearly Kade too given how high he rated him on the top singers countdown recently.  If I’d discovered this when it was released, it most likely would most definitely be in the top ½ of this list.  Sadly, I only stumbled across it back in 2021 when I was running thru a spell of only listening to / searching for concept albums. 

Overall, I'll rate Part 1 over Part 2, but just ever so slightly.  The former is 5* top to bottom, while Part 2 has a bit of "filler".  Oh, and I'll just say that Never Say Die is a face melting riff to open Part 2.

Fave Song - Sister Sadie (And the Black Habits)
Fave Song - Never Say Die
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #43 | A colorful deity
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2023, 07:50:20 AM »
Heard these back around the time they came out and... they were not for me. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2023, 08:01:56 AM »
I gave the two WASP songs a shot and I don't think it's for me. It sounds like a dude is just yelling over a galloping guitar riff. Not really my jam.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2023, 08:45:17 AM »
Sometimes I love Blackie's voice, and sometimes it doesn't catch.  I wish the music was a little better; the guy is clearly talented.  I just think the direction isn't always for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2023, 08:54:11 AM »
Guess I'll just need to wait for Kade to wake up before I get any love for this entry!   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »
Swing and a miss!!!

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #49
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2023, 08:58:21 AM »
Wasn't there someone here at DTF that was close to or friends with someone in the band?  I coulda swore someone here pimped them out a lot.  I actually was only 'so-so' on their first 2 releases, but this one from last year (well, tecnically "2" years ago now), was one I really could sink my ears in to.

JamminDude knows the guy(s?) in Odd Logic. Is that what you're thinking of?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2023, 09:02:56 AM »
I'm a bit late, but that My Chemical Romance album is damn good.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2023, 10:33:00 AM »
Swing and a miss!!!

This is my surprised face.

Wasn't there someone here at DTF that was close to or friends with someone in the band?  I coulda swore someone here pimped them out a lot.  I actually was only 'so-so' on their first 2 releases, but this one from last year (well, tecnically "2" years ago now), was one I really could sink my ears in to.

JamminDude knows the guy(s?) in Odd Logic. Is that what you're thinking of?

:justjen

I got the wrong "Odd".   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2023, 04:50:12 PM »
I'm not surprised no one else is on board with this one, but an unexpected welcome surpsrise for me.  I very much appreciate the kudos Chad always gives me when it comes to WASP. 

In 2002, Dying For the World came out.  I remember getting it in real time.  It was very highly anticipated from me and it didn't disappoint.  It could be a top 3 WASP album.  Great songs, heavy, great production and great energy.

I remember when the Neon God was announced it immediately raised some eyebrows.  I remember Blackie talking it up about a two part rock opera kind of thing and people saying he was trying to rehash the glory days of The Crimson Idol.  As always, I looked forward to it.  I like the separate releases months apart too.  Part 1 didn't really hit me right away.  The production is pretty poor and I did immediately also feel he used TCI as a blatant template.  As time went on, I really did enjoy it as most WASP albums.  I'm easily pleased in that respect, except Helldorado, that's crap.

I liked the little short acoustic interludes and used pretty much all of them in my concept album for Puppies.  The songs themselves aren't Blackie's greatest, but it's an enjoyable ride.  It's probably one of my least listened to WASP albums though.  Part 2 however came out of the gates nicely for me.  The production was much better and it's certainly more solid and consistent with nine real full length tracks.  Never Say Die and Destinies to Come are a couple of Blackie's best, great tunes, and All My Life, again used in my concept album is one of my fav mellow pieces from Blackie.  I think the Last Redemption is a really nice epic closer to the saga.  Plus I love, love the reprise of I Can't from 1995's Still Not Black Enough in the second half of Clockwork Mary too. (Both songs again, used in my album.)

While these albums can't touch a hair on TCI's head, it's a gallant double album effort from Blackie late in his career.  Probably considered deep cuts in the album discography but some nice things to chew on here.  I will say though, while both are around 95 minutes, he could and probably should have made a single 70-75 minute album here.  It would have pleased more fans I think and made for a killer, consistent album with a nice story.

EDIT:  Looks like Chad nailed the best songs from each album too!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 04:55:15 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2023, 08:16:14 PM »
Up next …. The next instance of RJ telling me me this list is invalid.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2023, 09:39:20 PM »
I'm an older WASP fan, I don't mean my age (even though I am old...) but my love of the first few WASP albums up to The Crimson Idol. I'm not a big fan of any WASP albums post that era which includes the 2 listed above but each of the 'newer' albums have their moments. I am presuming The Crimson Idol has to be showing up at some stage in this list, as that is a classic.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2023, 11:53:03 PM »
The Neon God is good and all, but doesn't come close to The Crimson Idol.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2023, 05:01:50 AM »
Wait... the Crimson Idol is a concept album??

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2023, 05:22:38 AM »

:lol

I was so befuddled you included this instead of The Crimson Idol.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »
Marillion / Brave [1994]

RJ, please don’t hate me.  It took a while for me to get into Marillion, although I'm not sure I can really say I'm *in* to them - they’re still largely a fringe act for me  :blush.  I very much enjoy everything they do when I listen to it, but they came into my musical world fairly late in life, and I just wasn’t wholly and fully captivated by them, and certainly not enough to go exploring their vast discography.  I really should fire them up more often, but since I never listened to them in the 80s or 90s, or 00s I just don't find myself proactively reaching for them very often - and I feel shame.
Brave always seems to get rave reviews, generally lauded as one of the better/best Marillion albums, and I can hear why - progressive passages pop oriented catchy songs Marillion often graces their releases with, and some more traditional hard-rocking songs. This is an album with a nice bit of variety … atmospheric, dark, moody, emotive, stoic.  Despite the nature and tone of the story (a schizophrenic, disillusioned girl, who commits suicide in jumping off a bridge) there are more than a few musical and lyrical moments that are loving, uplifting, optimistic, and inspiring.

This is another one that rates as low as it is because it was one of the albums I discovered as I was researching the litany of concept albums I wasn't already familiar with in 2021, so I've not spent a whole ton of dedicated time to/with it.  Also, does Marillion make any albums that AREN'T concept albums?
Fave songs – Hard as Love

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #42 | fearless and gutsy
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2023, 08:27:02 AM »
Love this album! I need to be in a certain mood to spin it though. The Great Escape is an all time great album climax and even though it would have been a good ending to the album I really like Made Again and the contrast it provides as well.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2023, 08:38:17 AM »
Not sure if I've heard Brave. I've tried several Marillion albums though, from different eras, and none have ever really done it for me. Might give this one a spin to see what it's like.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »
That's one fine Marillion album. But when it comes to their concept records, I prefer Clutching at straws.  :tup

Offline HOF

« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2023, 09:29:08 AM »
Now we're talking. Brave is tremendous. One of those albums you kind of have to immerse yourself in to appreciate, but it is definitely an immersive experience. Headphones help, or a system with good bass. I prefer the original mix to the recent Steven Wilson remix, but some people find the remix a little less claustrophobic. This is one where if I hear the opening track with the foghorn, I'm pretty instantly transported and want to just take it all in. The Great Escape is peak Marillion, and one of the first tracks I'd probably use to explain to someone what they are all about.

Marillion actually don't have that many proper concept albums. Brave and Misplaced Childhood are usually described as concept albums for sure, and the first volume of Happiness is the Road (Essence) I think the band would call a concept album as well. Clutching at Straws always felt like a concept album to me, but some might disagree about whether there is a definite story there. Afraid of Sunlight is a very thematic album (the self destructive nature of fame and those driven to achieve it), but doesn't have a unifying story. Marbles also has a strong connecting theme (very much about being in a mid-life crisis) but no real story. Those are their only albums that I would characterize as concept or thematic albums really. But all of those albums (except for Happiness) are essential listening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2023, 10:26:16 AM »
I would definitely classify Clutching at Straws as a concept album...it has a main character, Torch, and he goes through a narrative of falling deeper and deeper into alcoholism, all the way to the point of futility.

As to Brave, it's an absolute masterpiece. A fantastic story, captivating songs, insane emotional moments, and some of the best production I've heard from an album. This one is flawless, and easily my favorite of the H era (with CaS nudging it just a bit)

@Rich, if you do revisit Brave, do it with good headphones, with the lights out. A good deal of the magic of this album are the background nuances.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2023, 10:48:57 AM »
I had thought for some reason that Script was also considered a Concept Album. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2023, 10:49:35 AM »

That's the only Marillion album that I can listen to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2023, 11:10:59 AM »

Nah, at least I wouldn't call it one....as far as the traditional concept album definition goes, I'd say just Misplaced Childhood, Clutching and Brave, though FEAR and Marbles fall in the concept album blast radius.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2023, 12:52:02 PM »

This is sarcasm.....right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2023, 01:42:17 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2023, 03:09:34 PM »
I was worried there for a moment for you Chad.

I haven't tried much Marillion, although what I have heard wasn't really for me.  I'll sample this one though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2023, 03:12:48 PM »

I haven't tried much Marillion, although what I have heard wasn't really for me.  I'll sample this one though.

That'd be very brave of you.

Sorry..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2023, 03:45:59 PM »

Sorry..

What a brave, brave boy.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2023, 06:55:19 PM »
Brave is great, and a real journey of an album.

I think it was actually the first Marillion album I listened to. I'm pretty sure I had heard Kayleigh before, but just as an isolated song. When Brave came out, it was generally praised as a return to some sort of progressive roots, so I was intrigued and bought it. It certainly wasn't an easy/immediate listen, but my appreciation for it has kept growing over time. At some point I even bought the VHS that had some sort of a movie/documentary that went with the music. It was a little weird, but it had its charm  :)

Anyway, fantastic stuff. I agree that it helps to be in a certain mood, and it's the kind of record you need to properly sit down with, preferably with headphones. I can't say it's my favorite Marillion album - that's a spot that Clutching at Straws, Seasons End and Misplaced Childhood fight for - but it's certainly up there, right behind those.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2023, 08:18:22 PM »

Nah, at least I wouldn't call it one....as far as the traditional concept album definition goes, I'd say just Misplaced Childhood, Clutching and Brave, though FEAR and Marbles fall in the concept album blast radius.
Yeah, Marbles is about as close to a concept album as you can get and not actually be one. Although Steve Hogarth may see it as a pseudo-autobiography, sort of.

Sorry..

What a brave, brave boy.
:neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2023, 09:51:29 PM »
Just finished a re-listen of Brave. It's very very good, and one of my all time favorite albums, but then I followed on to Afraid of Sunlight, and it's just a perfect record. Somehow it's even better than Brave. Dave Meegan is a magician.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2023, 10:00:12 PM »

Guess I will have to sample this one then.

Offline HOF

« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2023, 10:10:59 PM »

Guess I will have to sample this one then.

Script is a very different experience than Brave (though I suppose you can make out some of the same band DNA).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2023, 11:19:05 PM »
Brave is my favorite album. It's a work of art, more so than just an album of recordings. They recorded it in a Castle, lol.

Script a concept album? I suppose with some of the lyrical themes that tie-together.

I concluded many years ago, when Fish left, they really could/should have just changed the name of the band, but from a marketing standpoint, and likely contractural reasons, they didn't.

But comparing Script to Brave might be like comparing Orchid to Heritage. It's some of the same musicians, but the approach and even the influences are pretty starkly different, it's almost hard to recognize it is released under the same name.