Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 19696 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #47 - it's a 'Wonder'
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2023, 11:24:01 AM »
It was advertised as a concept album in the run up to release. SW are always excellent. I expect another of their albums further on.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2023, 11:51:15 AM »
Yeah, I’m not sure how people didn’t know this was a concept album.  Good choice  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2023, 12:53:35 PM »
So I got sent Hide and Seek in my first roulette, and ended up loving Mercy Falls. Tiara was the first new SW album that came out once I was aware of them.

I remember being really underwhelmed by it, and checking my last.fm I only played it once, so could give it another shot.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2023, 03:42:15 PM »
Pretty much anything with Tommy fronting gets a thumbs up from me though, dude can fucking sing.

Agreed. He was in my Top 10 (maybe top 5) on the recent vocalist countdown.

Not as good as the other concept album by them though, which I assume is coming later.

SW are always excellent. I expect another of their albums further on.

Wait …. They’ve got another concept album?!?!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2023, 03:56:29 PM »
If it doesn't appear, than this list is already invalid.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2023, 04:00:39 PM »
If it doesn't appear, than this list is already invalid.

Spoiler alert … not the first time you’re going to tell me this list in invalid.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2023, 04:17:43 PM »
 :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »
I've heard Mercy Falls (Yawn). I hadn't heard this one but checked out a few tunes. The keyboards are a tad cheesy and the singer is pretty generic. The rest of it though is pretty decent though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #48
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2023, 05:47:31 PM »
Personally I'm looking for a singer that makes people think "I've heard that singer 100 times in a 1,000 bars.  Is it the guy from Panic Channel?  Might be.  How about the guy from Skid Row after Sebastian?   Might be.   Is it Russell Allen?  I don't know, might be."

Stads might be free. :lol :lol

I'm your guy.  I've sung in bands before.   

Is there really a woman named Sarah Teets?   That must've been a hellacious middle school era....

Yes... her (voice) and her brother Jeff (guitar/writer) are the founders of the band Mindmaze* - coming soon to a countdown near you!

*which Nick played drums for at one point in a long time ago in a galaxy far away.
Mindmaze is gooood! :metal

Not a fan of Sixx:AM. You sent them in one of my roulettes and it was ok, just nothing that stood out to me.

That's a negative Ghost Rider - I've never sent Sixx:A.M. (in anyone's roulette).  I sent you Roswell Six.  Or maybe you're thinking Poison?
No, I remember now, you sent them as a post roulette concept album after my second roulette.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2023, 07:53:58 PM »
I just gave that Seventh Wonder tune a spin and man I didn't expect to be kicked in the balls like that :lol fantastic song.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
My Chemical Romance / The Black Parade [2006]

Wow… never knew about this album until I started doing a deep dive into concept albums in the middle of 2021 (MCR just isn't my cuppa tea).  I found a few threads at DTF listing favorite Concept Albums, and along with my own research, I probably ended up sampling 100+ albums I'd never heard.  This one was the most surprising to me - in the fact that this actually hits a sonic sweet spot.  Is it Punk?  Rock?  Something "alt" or "post".  Maybe, I don't really know.  Wiki calls it "Alternative; rock; emo; pop punk; hard rock; progressive rock".  Seems about right, even if I have no clue what "emo" music really is - emotional?  Most certainly for this album.  If I had to narrow it down, to me it sounds like Punk-Prog Rock… and by Rock, I mean it's almost metal - so I guess in a sense I just violated my own rules (again, apparently).  I normally wouldn't connect with this kind of music, but holy shit did this scratch me where I was itching as I searched for some new Concept Albums.  Great story here (even though, F#ck Cancer) about The Patient and his apparent death, experiences in the afterlife, and subsequent reflections on his life.  The music is frantic, adrenaline inducing, and head-banging.  This would probably rank much higher if I'd discovered before 2021, and had the chance to spend more time with it.  I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised… this does have a vibe about it very similar to No Doubt/Tragic Kingdom (which made my initial Top50), and there are lots of albums that have punk elements to it, so…. yeah.  Even still, the fact it even made this list ahead of the honorable mentions with only a few listens under my belt is impressive enough.
Fave Song - Welcome to the Black Parade

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Well Holy Shit dude! I'm calling it right now, this album will be my highest rated album on your Top 50!

If you like this then my all time favourite band should be on your list (partly because they got lumped in with the emo crowd).

This album was huge for me, and if anything I've come to appreciate it more, especially over the last few years. I became an MCR fan back in '04 when their previous album came out. Pretty much all of my friends took the piss for liking an 'emo' band. It was ridiculous as they weren't really even giving the music a chance, just jumping on the band wagon of shitting on the band.

When The Black Parade came out, I bought it the morning of release and played that shit to death. Yes, Welcome to the Black Parade has been overplayed, yes I butchered it on karaoke many times, but it's just so good.

I got the album on vinyl last year so have played it more this last 12 months than I have in over a decade. I've come to realise that actually every damn song is perfect. Dead! was always an absolute favourite of mine, and really has that punk vibe you mentioned.

Well I'm working from home today so I guess I know what record I'm spinning next!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Indeed this is not what I'd expect, but great pick for the first entry in the top 50 that I already know. Perhaps your tastes are gradually being squeezed wider after all, despite your protestations! ;)

The first three entries were all solid:
 - Spheric Universe Experience very enjoyable. The intro is amazing and so it put me in a good listening frame from the start. On further listens the album doesn't have as much staying power as a lot of the vocal sections in particular I just don't find especially interesting, but it's a good album overall still.
 - Odd Dimension easily my favourite of the three, I actually like it a lot. A tentative 8/10 from me. The previous album is also on Spotify so I'll give that a listen too.
 - Sixx:A.M. was good, definitely more engaging than I might have anticipated, not being a fan of Motley Crue. I didn't love it, but it's solid and very emotionally engaging.

I've not been enamoured with Seventh Wonder in the past, but I've not heard that album so I guess I'll give it a go.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
@Luke... there's something about C&C I just don't connect with. I've tried a long time ago, and indeed there may be something in their discography that will suit me, but I just don't have the will to wade thru it all to find it.

Indeed this is not what I'd expect, but great pick for the first entry in the top 50 that I already know. Perhaps your tastes are gradually being squeezed wider after all, despite your protestations! ;)

The first three entries were all solid:
 - Spheric Universe Experience very enjoyable. The intro is amazing and so it put me in a good listening frame from the start. On further listens the album doesn't have as much staying power as a lot of the vocal sections in particular I just don't find especially interesting, but it's a good album overall still.
 - Odd Dimension easily my favourite of the three, I actually like it a lot. A tentative 8/10 from me. The previous album is also on Spotify so I'll give that a listen too.
 - Sixx:A.M. was good, definitely more engaging than I might have anticipated, not being a fan of Motley Crue. I didn't love it, but it's solid and very emotionally engaging.

I've not been enamoured with Seventh Wonder in the past, but I've not heard that album so I guess I'll give it a go.

Awesome!  So glad (and humbled) that you're giving them all a go.  :tup

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I should probably give The Black Parade another chance. I never liked MCR, and when this album came out, Welcome to the Black Parade used to annoy me so much! My best friend at the time (high School) was a huge fan and bought the album. I listened to the album once back then and it didn't do much for me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I love this album with one exception which is the title track, I've always hated it :lol. I know I'm the only person on the planet with this opinion.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
A.C.T. / The Last Epic [2003]

Courtesy of Wailings from a Building submitted by Prog Snob in by 3rd roulette, this album has a bit of an odd concept (the story is a tale told from the perspective of a building about its occupants).  It's filled with great vocal harmonies, lots of different musical styles, complemented with lots of creative instrumentation. This is precisely this kind of album that is the reason I don't listen to 70s era prog-rock.  A.C.T. delivers an album filled with an upbeat/crisp tempo, great melodies, key and time changes asunder, excellent musicianship, equal balance between keys and guitars as the primary driver of the melody, fantastic vocals … and a nice clean production.    This ticks all my prog-rock boxes. I read a review of this album that suggested that A.C.T. was the (my words) result of a menage a trois between Queen, Styx, and Saga.  I can buy into that, and to answer Booker T, I can dig that…. Sucka!  The string of tracks Cause/Effect/Summary is just pure bliss.
Fave Song - The Effect

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Just wrapped up listening to that Sixx AM album and it was a welcome surprise. When it opened with the Xmas narration my eyes almost rolled out of my head but on the whole the album was good.

Offline pg1067

I know virtually nothing about this band or this album.  However, the song "The Black Parade" will forever hold a special place in my heart because of this:

https://youtu.be/tZL7S6vCVKY
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I know virtually nothing about this band or this album.  However, the song "The Black Parade" will forever hold a special place in my heart because of this:

Seems weird to use that song as an 'anthem' of sorts, but ok.

Offline Lowdz

Seems weird to use that song as an 'anthem' of sorts, but ok.

One of the true post 2000 gems.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, I guess A.C.T. was a dud - even though I know King likes 'em, and RJ surely would have about 4 years ago.  Moving on then, hopefully this will bring out some opinions ...

Kamelot / Epica [2003]; The Black Halo [2005]

I was first exposed to Kamelot in the Power Ballad round of my first roulette.  Obscure chose to send Zodiac, and it tanked. Hard.  I'm not sure exactly why, but it certainly soured me on Kamelot.  It was probably a year or two later that she sent me a tune by an act/album later to appear on this countdown, which featured both Thomas Youngblood and Casey Grillo.  I loved that.  Which then got me to check out Kamelot.  Because of the depth of their discography, and the 'new' vocalist, I started with what was just coming out at the time, Silverthorn.  Opinions around here seemed to be mixed on which of their previous albums were their best, so I went with a couple of live releases just to latch on to their 'best of'.  It wasn't until the late 2020s that I went back and got the 6-album run that finished Khan's time with them. 

Epica one starts with an absolute cracker (one of my Top 5 all-time Kamelot tunes, and imo one of the greatest and purist definitions and examples of Power Metal).  An absolute classic.  The follow up track, is pretty terrific as well, and (but?) the album pretty much coasts on those two tracks for the next 30 minutes, before finishing strong.  The bookend songs are as good as it gets from Khan-era Kamelot.  Song for song, I like The Black Halo a little better than Epica.  Though, I sometimes find the three interlude tracks take me out of the flow of the former. 

Ultimately, I just haven't spent enough time with these two albums (start to finish) to really sink into the story (and I don't know jack about Goethe's Faust), and thus cannot rate them any higher here.
Fave Song - When the Lights Are Down
Fave Song - Centre of the Universe

<both live versions, from One Cold Winter's Night - glorious DVD!>

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #44 | Knights of the Round Table
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2023, 06:32:07 AM »
Yeah I listened to that ACT album a while back and it was decent but didn't excite much. To be honest I don't really remember much about it so didn't have any comment to make.

Those Kamelot albums on the other hand are classics. So many great tunes across the two albums and pretty good storytelling too.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2023, 06:46:12 AM »
Honestly never did a deep dive into the Kahn era.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2023, 07:02:14 AM »
Not to jump too far back but I just listened to that Odd Dimension album and it kicked serious ass, I think Flags Of Victory was my personal favorite.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2023, 10:26:38 AM »
Not to jump too far back but I just listened to that Odd Dimension album and it kicked serious ass, I think Flags Of Victory was my personal favorite.

Jump as far back as you want!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2023, 10:27:24 AM »

That's too bad.  I doubt these would float your boat nowadays.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2023, 10:28:34 AM »
Yeah I listened to that ACT album a while back and it was decent but didn't excite much. To be honest I don't really remember much about it so didn't have any comment to make.

I hear ya.  It hits a nice spot for me when I want something a little more light and catchy and harmonious.  They almost has a hint of Moon Safari in them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2023, 02:09:29 PM »

Either one of Epica or The Black Halo destroy all three of the Tommy albums collectively.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2023, 02:42:32 PM »

Either one of Epica or The Black Halo destroy all three of the Tommy albums collectively.

yeah... those final 6 albums with Khan are all as good as, or better than, any of the 3 with Tommy.  I didn't even bother purchasing the last Kamelot album - I think I spun it a couple times, and then realized I'd rather be listening to 8 other Kamelot albums, so decided to pass on it.

You gonna like the next entry, Kade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2023, 03:01:08 PM »

yeah... those final 6 albums with Khan are all as good as, or better than, any of the 3 with Tommy.  I didn't even bother purchasing the last Kamelot album - I think I spun it a couple times, and then realized I'd rather be listening to 8 other Kamelot albums, so decided to pass on it.

You gonna like the next entry, Kade.

Epica was pretty big for me when it came out.  I always thought it was superior to the Black Halo.  Good entry and the first that's in my lane.

In relation to the Tommy stuff, I thought the last one was the most interesting.  Even though it's pretty damn generic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2023, 03:27:25 PM »
Maybe I ought to give it another shot then.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2023, 08:08:34 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Black Parade. The other My Chemical Romance albums I have don’t do a lot for me, but the Black Parade is a perfect blend of emo and classic rock in the vein of Pink Floyd and Queen.

I’m not sure which Kamelot album is my favourite, but the Black Halo is right up there. Good choice.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2023, 08:51:20 PM »
The Black Halo is a monster album! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2023, 06:24:37 AM »
Kamelot is a funny band for me. I *love* The Black Halo from when I first heard it in college, but nothing else I've heard from them (with either Roy or Tommy) sparks me nearly the same way. None of what else I've heard is bad, it's just kind of there.
Photobucket sucks.