Author Topic: New and Improved Top 50/100/whatever lists thread v3  (Read 8705 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
New and Improved Top 50/100/whatever lists thread v3
« on: December 27, 2022, 07:02:41 AM »
Well, since Big Hath has gone MIA, time for a refresh of the Top 50 tracker thread.  Since there aren't nearly as many Top 50 album threads as there once was, I figure we should track all "top" lists and countdowns.  Updating and culling up from the last thread to account for transpired in the last few years, here's where things stand.  Anyone who wants to do a "top" list, just say so, and I/a Mod can add you to the Coming Soon.

Moved to Archive:

Archived Top 50 threads are listed at: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=33261.0 (also includes Big Hath's database as at 2014)

Completed Top 50 Albums:

Anguyen92's Top 46 ;) [started February 2016]

Ninjabait [Started May 2018]

Twosuitsluke [Started November 2018]

Evermind v2 [Started November 2018]

Kattelox/Walrus/Melphina [started June 2019]

Lonestar v2 [Started November 2022]

Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums [Started January 2023]

Completed Top <other stuff>:

Top 100 Dream Theater Song Countdown (2021)

Top 75 Iron Maiden Song Countdown

Top 75 Rush Song Countdown

Top 50 Neal Morse (solo) Song Countdown

Top 50 Fates Warning Song Countdown

Top 50 Van Halen Song Countdown

Top 40 Queensryche (up to '99) Song Countdown

Top 25 Neal Morse-related Album Countdown

Top 25 Favorite Singers Countdown

Jingle.boy Top (1)50 Roulette Songs

RJ Top 25 Concerts

TAC Top 25 concerts

Top 40 Led Zeppelin Song Countdown

Top 50 Porcupine Tree Song Countdown

Top 25 Billy Joel Song Countdown

Top 30 Queen Song Coutndown

Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown

Top 25 Favorite Drummers

Yes Studio Albums Countdown

In Process:

Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread

Sacul v3 [started December 2022]

DTwwbwMP's Top 800 concerts

ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v2

Coming Soon:

Scuttled:

Gazinwales [started August 2019]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:07:02 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The New and Improved "Top" whatever thread v3
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 10:13:27 AM »
I'll do a top 50 albums thread sometime next year.  Definitely after the Katatonia discography thread, possibly right after my roulette (possibly during it), I'll just have to see how much is on my plate then. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The New and Improved "Top" whatever lists thread v3
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »
Great stuff, thanks Chad. I archived all the old ones, and I just assumed that all of the "on hold"/"ongoing" but not completed threads are lost. But if anyone does return to complete them, I'll be happy to delete them from that list.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Anguyen92

Re: The New and Improved "Top" whatever lists thread v3
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 03:40:19 PM »
Oh yeah, I stopped at #4, years ago, on my top 50.  Honestly, since I've dove into more stuff of different genres since then, I might think about doing a new Top 50.  Not in the near future though.  No, I'll do that when I'm certain I can get the long-winded and wordy write-ups all nice and organized.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New and Improved Top 50/100/whatever lists thread v3
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 03:45:42 PM »
Thank you Rich  :tup 

I added DTwwbwMP's concert thread.  Which might be a Top 1000 by the time he finishes!!  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 09:16:37 PM »
Woo new thread! Put me on the list, I'd like to do a v2

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 05:18:42 AM »
Woo new thread! Put me on the list, I'd like to do a v2

Giddy up!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 05:49:25 PM »
Woo woo! I'll start next Monday, I'll be gone for most of the week for my brothers wedding.

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 04:48:03 PM »
I’ve been putting together a top 50 list of my favorite art pop albums (think Peter Gabriel, XTC, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, etc.). What’s the protocol for multiple threads at once?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 09:06:11 PM »
I’ve been putting together a top 50 list of my favorite art pop albums (think Peter Gabriel, XTC, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, etc.). What’s the protocol for multiple threads at once?

Go for it - unless ReaperKK is going to start soon (since he raised his hand first).  Generally speaking, to three at a time seems to be the gentlemen's agreement around here (and roultette's)

Offline HOF

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 09:20:29 AM »

Go for it - unless ReaperKK is going to start soon (since he raised his hand first).  Generally speaking, to three at a time seems to be the gentlemen's agreement around here (and roultette's)

Sounds good. Reeper, just let me know if you think you’ll be starting soon or not. If so, I’ll wait for Jingle or Sacul to finish up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 04:22:13 PM »

First, we need a long and in depth discussion as to what makes an album an art pop one, because labels are important!!

:P :P :P

Offline HOF

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 04:23:41 PM »

First, we need a long and in depth discussion as to what makes an album an art pop one, because labels are important!!

Heh, I was going to do a personal thread, not a forum top 50. Don't know that we could get enough participants for one of those (and then we'd have to nail down a definition, whereas I can just make up my own for purposes of my list).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 04:24:55 PM »

Heh, I was going to do a personal thread, not a forum top 50. Don't know that we could get enough participants for one of those (and then we'd have to nail down a definition, whereas I can just make up my own for purposes of my list).

No, no, I know, I was just being a wiseacre. :lol :biggrin:

Offline HOF

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 04:30:06 PM »

No, no, I know, I was just being a wiseacre. :lol :biggrin:

Ah, got it! But that's part of why I want to do it, to see if I can sort of define that range of music that makes up a large part of my collection but isn't really prog, and in some cases is hardly even rock, but labeling it pop seems to be selling it short.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 04:32:25 PM »
So much of the best music is hard to fit in a pre-made genre box. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 08:36:39 PM »

Sounds good. Reeper, just let me know if you think you’ll be starting soon or not. If so, I’ll wait for Jingle or Sacul to finish up.

I'll be starting early this week, I'm at my brothers wedding until tomorrow, once I get home I'll start posting :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 09:29:13 PM »

I'll be starting early this week, I'm at my brothers wedding until tomorrow, once I get home I'll start posting :)

:tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 06:29:20 AM »
HOF if you want to start you can, ill do my list after you. I'm going to have to do a bit of traveling for work and I'll be too inconsistent with my updates.

Offline HOF

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 07:51:58 AM »
HOF if you want to start you can, ill do my list after you. I'm going to have to do a bit of traveling for work and I'll be too inconsistent with my updates.

Cool! I'll see if I can get my first post up today.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 02:54:50 PM »

Cool! I'll see if I can get my first post up today.

That’s what he said.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 12:10:19 PM »
With jingle.thread done are you guys cool if I start my list?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 12:10:47 PM »
Go for it!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »
Sweet, I'll start it after work :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2023, 10:03:26 AM »
Now that my roulette is over, I want to do my inaugural top 50 (it'll probably wind up closer to somewhere around 75 with honorable mentions of various kinds).  I've had a draft I've been chipping away at for months, and I'll need a bit of a breather first, but I'll start increasingly thinking about it in the next few weeks and could potentially start it later this month.  I may also wait until after the Katatonia discography thread is done, but hopefully sometime next month at the latest. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 10:18:23 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2023, 10:20:29 AM »
Just skip the Katatonia discography and get on with it. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2023, 03:01:02 PM »
Hmnnn this reminds me I never finished mine, and I feel like writing today, so... New post I guess :P

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2023, 11:50:04 AM »
I'm surprised we haven't done this yet, but I think we need to do a "Top 25 Artists" thread for the whole forum, like we did for vocalists, guitarists and such.  It would be one of the most agonizing and yet fun lists to do.  Kev has been MIA lately, so I wonder if anyone else is interested in running it.  If no one steps up I may do it myself, though I'd probably have to wait a few months to get through some other projects first. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2023, 11:55:13 AM »
Go for it! I’d be annoyed that Coheed would be unlikely to make the list but it’d be fun.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2023, 12:03:19 PM »
I guess it depends on the demographic that participates.  If it was just the roulette crowd I think they'd have a shot, but the ranking threads draw out the classic/hard/trad rock/prog/metal fans, so they'll probably be pushed down. 

In working on my own top 50 albums (probably definitely after finishing the Katatonia thread at this point) I've come up with a top 26, but I'm more likely to have expanded that back out again than culled it back down by the time it happens.  Decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 12:12:52 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2023, 12:21:12 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't done this yet, but I think we need to do a "Top 25 Artists" thread for the whole forum, like we did for vocalists, guitarists and such.  It would be one of the most agonizing and yet fun lists to do.  Kev has been MIA lately, so I wonder if anyone else is interested in running it.  If no one steps up I may do it myself, though I'd probably have to wait a few months to get through some other projects first. 

I can knock it out after the Pink Floyd list is done, I'll start collecting lists when I start counting down the PF albums.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2023, 12:22:47 PM »
Fantastic. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2023, 06:05:02 PM »
So it seems people are interested in a Genesis countdown (after the bands countdown), what everyone thinking for a Genesis countdown, songs or albums?

Offline HOF

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2023, 07:12:57 PM »
If Albums is an easier commitment for everyone, I’m good with that. Would love to do songs too, but that would take more thought.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2023, 07:15:31 PM »
I would definitely prefer albums.