Author Topic: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (top 2 featured! - countdown over)  (Read 19607 times)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (#s 05-03 featured!)
« Reply #525 on: February 02, 2023, 07:28:35 AM »
Really excited to see Rainy Taxi and The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train as the top 2! ;D

Honestly, if The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train had made it onto this countdown, I'd be satisfied with its inclusion. For what it is, I think it's a really nice instrumental track.

Certainly not as great as my true #1 pick, Message From a Self-Destructing Turnip, but then again, what is?

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #526 on: February 02, 2023, 07:31:47 AM »
Really excited to see Rainy Taxi and The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train as the top 2! ;D

Pretty sure it's Jupiter Island and Linton Samuel Dawson.
Begonia Seduction Scene and Milan.

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #527 on: February 02, 2023, 07:32:45 AM »
Well, this is an interesting run of three songs to almost close out the countdown.

05 Blackest Eyes (my ranking: N/R)

I would not have been shocked if I was the only person who didn't rank this song. And yet, I was joined by three others.

Still feel like I should explain myself. First off, I do like Blackest Eyes. Looking at my songs that just missed the cut, I honestly think this would have ended up at #51 or #52 on my list.

Gravity Eyelids, as I recall, was the first single from the album -- and the only song I heard before release date. So, the first time I heard Blackest Eyes was the first time I played the CD. And it felt like a statement.

But after a few listens, it ended up feeling like it was an intentional distillation of all of Porcupine Tree's trademarks into their major label debut track. The weird instrumental bits. The wistful verses. The catchy chorus. The multi-layered harmonies. The creepy lyrics. The spacey middle section. And then, in an announcement of the new direction, the metal element moving to center stage. Everything in the band's repertoire, crammed -- or even forced -- into a 4-minute track.

And I have never been able to get over that initial feeling! This is a good song, really good in fact. But as someone who was into the band before IA was released, it just feels too intentional to me.

04 Dark Matter (my ranking: 1)

There are very few bands for which I have a clear #1 favorite song. Usually the waters are a little muddy near the top.

Not Porcupine Tree. Dark Matter is my favorite and, as much as I love my next tier down (Buying New Soul, Hatesong, Even Less, [redacted], and What Happens Now?) this one is just head and shoulders above everything else. It is the perfect transition song between eras, and a dramatic, progressive masterpiece in every way. The early parts of the song have such a great use of space in the mix -- knowing to keep some restraint and let the instruments breathe. The layered vocals in the chorus are brilliant. The chord progression introduced post-chorus (which carries to the end of the song) is simple (A-G-F-G-A) but somehow just clicks perfectly. The guitar solo has already been mentioned several times. What a buildup, what a solo, and what an ending.

I usually consider Signify my favorite PT album, but I actually only ranked 4 songs from it. What I love about Signify is the variety, and the way the whole album feels like a journey through all these different moods. Close that out with the best song the band has ever recorded, and I guess that's why it ends up as my favorite. I also really love how, despite the more popular Stupid Dream / Lightbulb Sun / Recordings era, it's a song from Signify that is this countdown's highest-ranked from the band's original lineup.

Congrats to DDD, Elite, and DTA for having the good taste to join me on this one. ;D

Anyone up for some electro-shock therapy?

03 Trains (my ranking: 30)

A lot of people in this countdown have said things like "I really should have ranked this song higher", and I've tried to avoid that because, well, if you rank a song higher, then you have to rank other songs lower, and that gets tricky.

But I really probably should have ranked Trains higher. Maybe in the 20-25 range instead of at 30.

I know it's a "hit" (or a fan favorite or whatever) but it's pretty much brilliant as far as pop songwriting goes. The main guitar motif through the song is actually rather unique, and the way the song is structured is out of the ordinary too. And yet it all fits together nicely. It's a lot of fun in concert, too, even if they downtune it like seven whole steps or whatever. :lol
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:38:32 AM by The Great Zo »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #528 on: February 02, 2023, 07:41:32 AM »
Unranked

- Where Would We Be
- The Blind House
- Halo
- Lips of Ashes
- Stars Die
- Feel So Low
- Fadeaway
- The Creator Has A Mastertape
- Stop Swimming
- Gravity Eyelids
- I Drive The Hearse
- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Open Car
- Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
- Shesmovedon

Ranked

#50: Normal
#49:
#48: Drown With Me
#47: A Smart Kid
#46: The Sound Of Muzak
---
#38: Glass Arm Shattering
---
#35: Deadwing
#34: Dignity
#33: Chimera's Wreck
#32: Even Less
#31:
#30: Fear Of A Blank Planet
#29: Herd Culling
#28: Sleep Together
---
#23: Mellotron Scratch
#22: Waiting (both phases)
#21: Don't Hate Me
#20: Time Flies
#19: Way Out Of Here
#18: Sentimental
#17: What Happens Now?
#16: Dark Matter
#15: My Ashes
#14: Lightbulb Sun
#13:
#12: The Start Of Something Beautiful
#11: Heartattack In A Layby
#10: Strip The Soul
#9: Blackest Eyes
#8: Harridan
#7: Buying New Soul
#6: Collapse The Light Into Earth
#5: Lazarus
#4:
#3: Russia On Ice
#2: Hatesong
#1: Trains

Blackest Eyes: Probably the most immediate and surface-level awesome song the band has. Is it particularly substantive? I don't think so, but that's not really a problem when riff good, verse good, chorus good. There's a reason why this is often the song people use to introduce others to the band - how the hell can you resist that intro? I love the contrast between the music and the lyrics, too. :lol

Dark Matter: I don't know what y'all were so worried about - I've been on here long enough to know that this forum loves this song and there wasn't a chance in hell it wouldn't rank at all. ;) I think it deserves that praise for the most part, even if it's not one of my absolute favorites. The atmosphere created by the repetitive bassline and lush keyboards is hypnotic, Steven's calm delivery is great, and the climax at the end with the guitar solos is wonderful. I think I'd put TSMS Phase 1 as my favorite pre-Stupid Dream song, but this would be a close second.

Trains: I'm happy with this placement, especially if I was the only one who ranked this as #1. Why is this my favorite? It's just peak Steven Wilson. Melodic, atmospheric, nostalgic, warm, happy, sad, soft, loud, calm, energetic, accessible, memorable, substantive. Every one of his and this band's strengths is on full display here. The main chord progression and melody is lovely enough, but the song has enough twists and turns to elevate it to near perfection. That acoustic guitar solo in the middle, the key change following it, the banjo + clapping breakdown, and of course that MASSIVE finale. Can't think of a single thing about this song I don't like. Like I said, peak Steven Wilson.

I'm hoping my #13 is #2 and my #4 is #1! :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #529 on: February 02, 2023, 07:55:26 AM »
49 (t) Normal UNRANKED
49 (t) Where We Would Be UNRANKED
48 The Blind House 6
47 Halo 4
46 Lips of Ashes UNRANKED
45 Stars Die UNRANKED
44 Feel So Low UNRANKED
43 Fadeaway UNRANKED
42 Dignity UNRANKED
41 Drown with Me 24
40 Herd Culling 38
39 The Creator Has a Mastertape 30
38 Strip the Soul 19
37 Harridan 49
36 What Happens Now? UNRANKED
35 My Ashes UNRANKED
34 Stop Swimming UNRANKED
33 Waiting UNRANKED
32 Gravity Eyelids 14
31 Glass Arm Shattering UNRANKED
30 Sentimental UNRANKED
29 I Drive the Hearse 21
28 Chimera’s Wreck UNRANKED
27 The Sky Moves Sideways UNRANKED
26 Open Car 9
25 Sleep Together 27
24 Mellotron Scratch UNRANKED
23 Time Flies 1
22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled UNRANKED
21 Shesmovedon 39
20 A Smart Kid UNRANKED
19 The Sound of Muzak 32
18 Hatesong UNRANKED
17 Lightbulb Sun 36
16 Don’t Hate Me UNRANKED
15 Fear of a Blank Planet 15
14 Collapse the Light into Earth UNRANKED
13 Way out of Here UNRANKED
12 The Start of Something Beautiful 41
11 Deadwing 3
10 Russia on Ice UNRANKED
09 Lazarus 5
08 Even Less 43
07 Heartattack in a Layby UNRANKED
06 Buying New Soul UNRANKED
05 Blackest Eyes 2
04 Dark Matter UNRANKED
03 Trains UNRANKED

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #530 on: February 02, 2023, 08:00:31 AM »

Honestly, if The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train had made it onto this countdown, I'd be satisfied with its inclusion. For what it is, I think it's a really nice instrumental track.

I don't even think that was in the list of songs eligible for ranking. :lol

49 (t) Normal UNRANKED
48 The Blind House 6
47 Halo 4
45 Stars Die UNRANKED
44 Feel So Low UNRANKED
43 Fadeaway UNRANKED
42 Dignity UNRANKED
41 Drown with Me 24
40 Herd Culling 38
38 Strip the Soul 19
37 Harridan 49
35 My Ashes UNRANKED
33 Waiting UNRANKED
32 Gravity Eyelids 14
30 Sentimental UNRANKED
29 I Drive the Hearse 21
26 Open Car 9
25 Sleep Together 27
23 Time Flies 1
21 Shesmovedon 39
20 A Smart Kid UNRANKED
19 The Sound of Muzak 32
18 Hatesong UNRANKED
17 Lightbulb Sun 36
11 Deadwing 3
09 Lazarus 5
08 Even Less 43
05 Blackest Eyes 2
04 Dark Matter UNRANKED
03 Trains UNRANKED

I think your full list is the one I'm most curious about at this point. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #531 on: February 02, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
49 (t) Normal UNRANKED
48 The Blind House 6
47 Halo 4
45 Stars Die UNRANKED
44 Feel So Low UNRANKED
43 Fadeaway UNRANKED
42 Dignity UNRANKED
41 Drown with Me 24
40 Herd Culling 38
38 Strip the Soul 19
37 Harridan 49
35 My Ashes UNRANKED
33 Waiting UNRANKED
32 Gravity Eyelids 14
30 Sentimental UNRANKED
29 I Drive the Hearse 21
26 Open Car 9
25 Sleep Together 27
23 Time Flies 1
21 Shesmovedon 39
20 A Smart Kid UNRANKED
19 The Sound of Muzak 32
18 Hatesong UNRANKED
17 Lightbulb Sun 36
11 Deadwing 3
09 Lazarus 5
08 Even Less 43
05 Blackest Eyes 2
04 Dark Matter UNRANKED
03 Trains UNRANKED

I think your full list is the one I'm most curious about at this point. :lol
I completely agree. Like many others I have been fascinated by the difference in opinions throughout the ranking but no list has left me scratching my head as often as this one. In many ways it seems we enjoy completely separate parts of PT.  :lol

Would have loved to hear more of your thoughts DTwwbwMP!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: February 02, 2023, 08:45:35 AM »
I'm curious which song people think will win. but since we're not supposed to spotlight, there's no way to run a poll. :)

Trains would've been my #2.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #533 on: February 02, 2023, 08:49:40 AM »
Catching up:

14 Collapse the Light into Earth #2
13 Way out of Here #43
12 The Start of Something Beautiful #50
11 Deadwing #7
10 Russia On Ice NR
09 Lazarus #5
08 Even Less #10
07 Heartattack in a Layby #3
06 Buying New Soul #12
05 Blackest Eyes #26
04 Dark Matter #1 - The music and lyrical content that embody the core of the band for me.
03 Trains #4

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #534 on: February 02, 2023, 01:17:23 PM »
...yeah, we all know what the top 2 are at this point, huh  :lol

i think anesthetize is wildly overrated tbh, still prob my least favorite on FOABP. still good but a bit tedious and also literally three songs so i hope it takes only the #2  :corn

Offline faizoff

« Reply #535 on: February 02, 2023, 02:09:42 PM »
05 Blackest Eyes
Appeared on 18 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (DTowwbwMP)
7 Top 10 Finishes

04 Dark Matter
Highest Finish: 1 (Duetsch Dream Dates, Elite, The Great Zo, DTA)
9 Top 10 Finishes

03 Trains
Appeared on 20 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (Buddyhunter1)
11 Top 10 Finishes

Blackest Eyes   #17
First PT song I ever heard and at the time was a very casual fan of them, didn't really get into that mellow vibe

Dark Matter   #15
A lot of these tracks from the Colin era could easily be in the top 10, such a great closer and am very glad it's in the Anesthetize bluray release.

Trains   #13
In Absentia is my favorite produced record of PT, even though the album isn't my favorite, the production on this is fantastic.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Realm

« Reply #536 on: February 02, 2023, 02:11:49 PM »

05 Blackest Eyes
Highest Finish: 2 (DTowwbwMP)
7 Top 10 Finishes

04 Dark Matter
Highest Finish: 1 (Duetsch Dream Dates, Elite, The Great Zo, DTA)
9 Top 10 Finishes

03 Trains
Appeared on 20 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (Buddyhunter1)
11 Top 10 Finishes

Blackest Eyes - my rank 28. A really great song but not one of my favourites but had to be in there somewhere, probably a little surprised it made it this high overall.

Dark Matter - ok cool! Well I only ranked this at 48 so just got it in there. Had no idea it was so loved. For me it is probably more to do with the fact that I don't listen to this album much that I ranked this so low. I can agree it is a great, epic track and the guitar solo is spot on.

Trains - well, if asked this would have been my consensus pick for the number 1 song overall, mainly because I was sure this would be one song that would be in everyone's top 50, but no 2 left this song out???? My rank is 7. Just a perfect song in every way.

Looks like I will end up with 12 songs unranked, three of which are from the latest album which I really haven't spent enough time with to seriously consider. My number 1 song is still alive so I guess it has a chance of being the consensus number 1.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #537 on: February 02, 2023, 02:16:29 PM »
I'll have 20 unranked songs from the main list. I guess it's fewer than I thought I'd end up with.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #538 on: February 02, 2023, 02:24:46 PM »
#08 Even Less - My Ranking: #17

I'm a bit surprised to see this at this ranking, I thought it'd appear a bit higher here. Even though it's not one of my top 10, I still consider it a trademark PT song. The Arriving Somewhere version was the one I heard first. I like the slide guitar intro, and the vibe of the song.

#07 Heartattack In A Layby - My Ranking: #31

Another song I first heard from Arriving Somewhere. It's a fantastic, atmospheric song. I should've ranked this higher, at least top 20. That guitar melody after the verses is lovely. I also like the bass tone at the end of the Arriving Somewhere version, it reminds me of the bass tone in the intro of Time by Pink Floyd.

#06 Buying New Soul - My Ranking: #36

I could've ranked it a bit higher, but it's a song that I just have to be in the mood for. When I am, it's a great song. But, when I am not, I don't know, I don't feel it as much. It's weird. I enjoy the theme of the song, and the atmosphere it creates for it. I also heard this from Arriving Somewhere and I like the drumming this one.

#05 Blackest Eyes - My Ranking: (Did Not Rank)

I didn't rank this one because I think it's an alright song from PT. It'd rank about 70. It's not really a bad song, I just prefer more of the others. Maybe where it's placed on the album is why I can't seem to get through it.

#04 Dark Matter - My Ranking: #19

This one I did expect to rank in the top 5. It is a great song, and being I enjoy the atmosphere of Porcupine Tree the most, this one is deserving of the spot. "I am I Know"

#03 Trains - My Ranking: (Did Not Rank)

This one did not rank just because there's way too much other songs I enjoy more. I used to listen to this a lot more back when I was first getting into the band, but then I heard the others and just enjoy them a lot more now. It's unfortunate that they didn't play this one when I saw them with Coheed, it got cut for time and I was sad, I would've definitely been there clapping along.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #539 on: February 02, 2023, 02:32:03 PM »
So it seems no songs off Up the Downstair in the Top 50, right? Well, I must confess I like more UtD than The Sky Moves Sideways, specially Gavin Harrison's version. Sure Steven Wilson improved his songwriting skills on TSMS and UtD still sounds more (exaggerating a bit) like the songs are a bunch of glued jams... still I like it more! Up the Downstair, Burning Sky and Synesthesia are in my Top 50 (#39 to #41).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »
So it seems no songs off Up the Downstair in the Top 50, right? Well, I must confess I like more UtD than The Sky Moves Sideways, specially Gavin Harrison's version. Sure Steven Wilson improved his songwriting skills on TSMS and UtD still sounds more (exaggerating a bit) like the songs are a bunch of glued jams... still I like it more! Up the Downstair, Burning Sky and Synesthesia are in my Top 50 (#39 to #41).

"Fadeaway" feels hurt that you've forgotten about it. I guess you don't like UTD as much as you thought if you forgot it was on there.  ;) :lol

So far, it seems like the only main studio album not to get any songs in this countdown has been the debut, On The Sunday Of Life. I was wondering if "Radioactive Toy" would've pulled enough to at least make the 50-41 range, but I guess not.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #541 on: February 02, 2023, 03:10:39 PM »

"Fadeaway" feels hurt that you've forgotten about it. I guess you don't like UTD as much as you thought if you forgot it was on there.  ;) :lol

So far, it seems like the only main studio album not to get any songs in this countdown has been the debut, On The Sunday Of Life. I was wondering if "Radioactive Toy" would've pulled enough to at least make the 50-41 range, but I guess not.

-Marc.

My mistake! How you all dare to like so much a song that isn't even in my Top 3 off the album?! :lol
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #542 on: February 02, 2023, 03:14:27 PM »

-Marc.

My mistake! How you all dare to like so much a song that isn't even in my Top 3 off the album?! :lol

That's a fair point! Then again, I didn't rank ANY songs from UTD in my top 50, so what do *I* know?!  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #543 on: February 02, 2023, 08:22:24 PM »

i think anesthetize is wildly overrated tbh, still prob my least favorite on FOABP.

I ranked Aenesthetize but feel the same way.  Wish the ending  segment would have been its own song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (Countdown will start 01/16!!)
« Reply #544 on: February 02, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »

WHO?

I love Dream Theater as well as 70s folk rock/Americana, and I live in Denver, so I thought it would appropriate to combine John Denver's real name (Henry Duetschendorf Jr.) with the name of a somewhat well-known DT bootleg (Dutch dream dates).

Cool! Welcome to DTF!

The TACs vacationed in Denver back in 2016.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2023, 10:02:08 PM »
Nah it's clearly parts 3 and 4 of Voyage 34
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #546 on: February 02, 2023, 11:23:50 PM »

I have more songs from Up the Downstair on my list too!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: February 02, 2023, 11:26:13 PM »
Well, seems like those ranking Dark Matter somewhere near the top might have been right after all. Just listened again and it's not bad, is it?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (Top 2 featured!!!!)
« Reply #548 on: February 03, 2023, 06:02:46 AM »
Thanks again to everyone who submitted a list and/or participated in this thread! Nice to finally get this one in the books.  :hat :hat

Oh, and below is the top 2...:P :P

02 Anesthetize
Appeared on 22 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (faizoff, toro, BRGM, SomeoneLikeHim, Puppies_On_Acid)
16 Top 10 Finishes

I remember this being nicknamed The Beast when it was played live before being released on Fear of a Blank Planet, which made sense as it is a beast of a song.  I ranked it 6th.  From the flow to the solo by Alex Lifeson to the melodies to the insane drumming of Gavin Harrison to the somber ending, this is a fantastic song.  This was the only song to end up on all 22 lists.

01 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Appeared on 21 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (PixelDream, The Realm, nobloodyname)
17 Top 10 Finishes

Despite being left off one list. this still managed to finish number 1 by a nose, and it is well deserved.  I ranked this 2nd.  Just an amazing song from start to finish; it flows tremendously, its length is perfect, the chorus is one of the best Wilson has ever written, and the production is off the charts great.  Amazing song, on every level imaginable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #549 on: February 03, 2023, 06:05:22 AM »
Total list below. Any song that got a total of 0 is not listed.

01 Arriving Somewhere but Not Here   934
02 Anesthetize   931
03 Trains   737
04 Dark Matter   688
05 Blackest Eyes   671
06 Buying New Soul   619
07 Heartattack in a Layby    615
08 Even Less    614
09 Lazarus   597
10 Russia On Ice   590
11 Deadwing   578
12 The Start of Something Beautiful   577
13 Way Out of Here   574
14 Collapse the Light into Earth   549
15 Fear of a Blank Planet   536
16 Don't Hate Me   528
17 Lightbulb Sun   469
18 Hatesong    457
19 The Sound of Muzak   447
20 A Smart Kid   443
21 Shesmovedon   434
22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled   432
23 Time Flies   423
24 Mellotron Scratch   415
25 Sleep Together   399
26 Open Car    392
27 The Sky Moves Sideways   389
28 Chimera's Wreck   378
29 I Drive the Hearse   365
30 Sentimental   355
31 Glass Arm Shattering   347
32 Gravity Eyelids   333
33 Waiting   332
34 Stop Swimming   324
35 My Ashes   310
36 What Happens Now?   278
37 Harridan   276
38 Strip the Soul   257
39 The Creator Has a Mastertape   256
40 Herd Culling   249
41 Drown With Me   245
42 Dignity   244
43 Fadeaway   243
44 Feel So Low   235
45 Stars Die   234
46 Lips of Ashes   212
47 Halo   209
48 The Blind House   207
49 (t) Normal   188
49 (t) Where We Would Be   188
51 Drawing the Line   187
52 Pure Narcotic   183
53 (t) Radioactive Toy   179
53 (t)The Rest Will Flow   179
55 Chloroform   175
56 Sleep of No Dreaming   174
57 So Called Friend   172
58 Piano Lessons   171
59 Nil Recurring   169
60 Prodigal   168
61 (t)Half-Light   166
61 (t) Signify   166
63 Wedding Nails   165
64  .3   163
65 The Incident   161
66 Of the New Day   159
67 Shallow   155
68 Futile   152
69 The Moon Touches Your Shoulder   151
70 Burning Sky   142
71 Tinto Brass   137
72 Sever   136
73 (t) Slave Called Shiver   133
73 (t) Voyage 34 Phase I   133
75 Synesthesia   127
76 Stranger by the Minute   123
77 Black Dahlia   121
78 Cheating the Polygraph   120
79 Rats Return   120
80 (t) Idiot Prayer   117
80 (t) Up the Downstair   117
82 Always Never   113
83 (t) Bonnie the Cat   111
83 (t) Remember Me Lover   111
85 Never Have   104
86 In Formaldehyde   102
87 Octane Twisted   93
88 Flicker   89
89 Cure for Optimism   85
90 (t) Love in the Past Tense   76
90 (t) Mother and Child Divided   76
92 (t) Every Home is Wired   70
92 (t) Walk the Plank   70
94 Dislocated Day   59
95 (t) Circle of Manias   58
95 (t) How Is Your Life Today?   58
95 (t) Untitled   58
98 4 Chords That Made a Million   56
99 The Nostalgia Factory   53
100 (t) Disappear   52
100 (t) Kneel and Disconnect   52
102 This Is No Rehearsal   50
103 (t) Moonloop   44
103 (t) The Seance   44
105 (t) Ambulance Chasing   36
105 (t) Not Beautiful Anymore   36
107 Nine Cats   34
108 Orchidia   33
109 The Sound of No-One Listening   30
110 Baby Dream in Cellophane   27
111 Light Mass Prayers   25
112 This Long Silence   22
113 It Will Rain for a Million Years   18
114 (t) Access Denied   15
114 (t) Population Three   15
116 Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape   12
117 (t) And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun   9
117 (t) Sever Tomorrow   9
119 (t) Small Fish   8
119 (t) Your Unpleasant Family   8
121 Meantime   3
122 (t)  Men of Wood   1
122 (t) Rainy Taxi   1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #550 on: February 03, 2023, 06:11:16 AM »
Songs I ranked that didn't finish in the top 50:

16 Bonnie the Cat
25 The Moon Touches Your Shoulder
30 Pure Narcotic
33 Cheating the Polygraph
35 The Incident
37 Love in the Past Tense
39 Prodigal
44 Stranger by the Minute
47 Walk the Plank
48 This Is No Rehearsal
50 Never Have

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #551 on: February 03, 2023, 06:21:56 AM »
All those points for Nine Cats are mine :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline faizoff

« Reply #552 on: February 03, 2023, 06:24:09 AM »
Thanks for doing this Kev!

I figured Arriving would be #1, I ranked it #6, absolute baller of a song to watch live. I think it would have been in my top 3 before Fear came out.

I had Anesthetize as #1, I love this track so much and I can't listen to it in individual sections, I really like the transition from start to finish.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #553 on: February 03, 2023, 06:26:26 AM »
Thanks for running this one, I’ve had a lot of fun following this. Glad with the finish, Arriving Somewhere was my #4 and I like it a lot more than Anesthetize, my #6. If PT staryed experimenting with some heavier sounds on In Absentia, they perfected it on Deadwing. 3 songs in my top 5, with the heavy section in Arriving Somewhere being an absolute highlight.

Am on my phone now, but will post my full list with all those debut, Up the Downstair, Signify and TSMS tracks that didn’t make the collective list.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #554 on: February 03, 2023, 06:28:20 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but as this countdown went along, I definitely thought about which songs I probably would put higher now, which ones might be a little lower, and which ones might not even make my top 50 now that did then.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #555 on: February 03, 2023, 06:37:08 AM »
Normal
The Blind House
Halo
The Creator Has a Mastertape
Strip the Soul
What Happens Now?
Waiting
Gravity Eyelids
Chimera’s Wreck
The Sky Moves Sideways
Time Flies
Deadwing

50. Every Home is Wired
49. Rats Return

48. I Drive the Hearse
47. The Incident
46. Lips of Ashes
45. Harridan
44. The Rest Will Flow
43. Way Out of Here
42. Of the New Day
41. Voyage 34 Phase I
40. Disappear

39. Open Car
38. Dignity
37. Don't Hate Me
36. Lightbulb Sun
35. .3
34. Stars Die
33. Stranger by the Minute
32. Herd Culling
31. Half-Light
30. My Ashes
29. Sleep Together
28. Pure Narcotic
27. Where We Would Be
26. Shesmovedon
25. Fadeaway
24. Stop Swimming
23. Mellotron Scratch
22. In Formaldehyde
21. Collapse the Light into Earth
20. The Start of Something Beautiful
19. Buying New Soul
18. Hatesong
17. Sentimental
16. Glass Arm Shattering
15. Drown With Me
14. Fear of a Blank Planet
13. The Sound of Muzak
12. Lazarus
11. Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
10. Feel So Low
9. Even Less
8. Trains
7. Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
6. Russia On Ice
5. Blackest Eyes
4. Dark Matter
3. A Smart Kid
2. Heartattack in a Layby
1. Anesthetize

I had Anesthetize at #1 but I can't complain about Arriving Somewhere but Not Here either. Both great songs of course! Arriving was my favorite for a while when I first got into PT, it has slipped a bit since then but I still absolutely love it. I would say that my top 8 are all pretty close to one another, could definitely shuffle around on any given day.

Anesthetize is awesome, every part is great in a different way. I especially love the final part where the music really paints the picture of watching the waves rolling in on the shore. The final guitar solo if you could even call it that is perfectly fragile as well.

Highest ranked song not on the list: #22. In Formaldehyde

I really like this song. Lovely chord progression, dreamlike atmosphere, great solo. What's not to love?

Big thanks to Kev for hosting this and all the other lists! I have had a lot of fun reading the others but it was great to finally take part in one as well. Fantastic work!  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: February 03, 2023, 06:39:30 AM »
One of my personal favourites didn't make the Top 50, but #57 is pretty good though (So Called Friend).

Thanks for running this, Kev!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #557 on: February 03, 2023, 06:40:41 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but as this countdown went along, I definitely thought about which songs I probably would put higher now, which ones might be a little lower, and which ones might not even make my top 50 now that did then.

I have been thinking about this as well. I have been listening to a LOT of PT these past weeks so some songs have definitely moved around. Overall I think I would put most C/C songs a little lower if I did the list again.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #558 on: February 03, 2023, 06:47:20 AM »

My ranking for top 50

50   Prodigal
49   Remember Me Lover
48   Population Three
47   Sever Tomorrow
46   Normal
45   Mother and Child Divided
44   Kneel and Disconnect
43   Pure Narcotic
42   So Called Friend
41   Black Dahlia
40   Lips of Ashes
39   Always Never
38   Don't Hate Me
37   Hatesong
36   3
35   Piano Lessons
34   Time Flies
33   Tinto Brass
32   Idiot Prayer
31   Circle of Manias
30   I Drive the Hearse
29   Futile
28   Harridan
27   Heartattack in a Layby
26   Signify
25   Fadeaway
24   The Rest Will Flow
23   Sleep Together
22   Wedding Nails
21   Voyage 34 Phase I
20   Feel So Low
19   Sentimental
18   What Happens Now?
17   Blackest Eyes
16   Russia On Ice
15   Dark Matter
14   A Smart Kid
13   Trains
12   The Sound of Muzak
11   Buying New Soul
10   Fear of a Blank Planet
9   Lazarus
8   Chimera’s Wreck
7   Even Less
6   Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
5   Shesmovedon
4   Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
3   My Ashes
2   Way Out of Here
1   Anesthetize

Online Mladen

« Reply #559 on: February 03, 2023, 06:57:09 AM »
Anesthetize and Arriving somewhere were top seven material for me, so yeah, no complaints from me.  :tup

Also, here's my entire list - I bolded the songs that didn't end up in the overall top 50:

1   The Start of Something Beautiful
2   Anesthetize
3   Dark Matter
4   Glass Arm Shattering
5   Lightbulb Sun
6   Fear of a Blank Planet
7   Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
8   Where We Would Be
9   Collapse the Light into Earth
10   Wedding Nails (way too low)
11   Blackest Eyes
12   The Sound of Muzak
13   Shesmovedon
14   Slave Called Shiver (also way too low, guys)
15   Lazarus
16   Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
17   The Creator Has a Mastertape
18   Way Out of Here
19   Feel So Low
20   Trains
21   Open Car
22   Pure Narcotic (dang, it just missed out)
23   The Incident
24   Heartattack in a Layby
25  In Formaldehyde (a very underrated one)
26   Drown With Me
27   Signify
28   Every Home is Wired
29   The Rest Will Flow
30   Gravity Eyelids
31   Even Less
32   Sleep of No Dreaming
33   Piano Lessons
34   Cheating the Polygraph
35   Hatesong
36   Access Denied (I knew this one wouldn't even be close  :lol)
37   Sever
38   Shallow
39   Don't Hate Me
40   Russia On Ice
41   I Drive the Hearse
42   The Moon Touches Your Shoulder
43   Drawing the Line
44   Harridan
45   Synesthesia
46   Half-Light
47   Strip the Soul
48   Dislocated Day