Author Topic: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (top 2 featured! - countdown over)  (Read 20046 times)

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (#s 22 & 21 featured!)
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2023, 06:50:48 AM »
Last Chance #7 - love everything about this song and Lightbulb Sun.

She's Moved On #19

Not sure why they felt the need to re-record it for the SE of Deadwing since the original could not be improved upon, but great song either way.

I could be wrong, but I thought the version Deadwing was taken from an in-studio XM radio performance during the IA tour.

Online faizoff

« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2023, 07:04:56 AM »
I have to admit that I chuckled out loud to myself when I saw today's two songs finish back-to-back. I swear, I did not fudge the numbers to make it turn out this way!

22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
Appeared on 14 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 4 (faizoff, ReaperKK)
5 Top 10 Finishes

I feel like I undersold this one a bit, ranking it 32nd.  The first half is great, but the second half is a whole other level.  Just gorgeous music and playing.

21 Shesmovedon
Appeared on 16 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (nobloodyname)
3 Top 10 Finishes

This was one of the instant winners for me when I first got Lightbulb Sun, and it has held up really well. I ranked it 28th. Not sure why they felt the need to re-record it for the SE of Deadwing since the original could not be improved upon, but great song either way.

Last Chance #4
She's Moved On #5

Love these songs and them being back to back on the album is similar to my ranking. I went a little back and forth which one I liked more, honestly depends on my mood, could easily switch places.
The 2nd half of Evacuate is sublime as is the ending of She's moved on.

Just great tracks.

I too am not sure about the reason for re-recording She's moved on.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2023, 07:08:37 AM »
5 Top 10 Finishes

21 Shesmovedon
3 Top 10 Finishes

NR. Where We Would Be
NR. The Blind House
NR. Fadeaway
NR. Glass Arm Shattering
NR. I Drive The Hearse
NR. Chimera's Wreck
NR. Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
NR. Shesmovedon
50. Drown With Me
48. Strip The Soul
46. Harridan
45. Mellotron Scratch
43. Halo
41. Stars Die
40. Sentimental
38. Waiting (Phases 1 & 2)
37. Feel So Low
34. Time Flies
33. Open Car
31. Herd Culling
29. Dignity
25. Lips Of Ashes
24. My Ashes
23. Sleep Together
22. Normal
19. Gravity Eyelids
18. Stop Swimming
17. The Creator Has A Mastertape
07. What Happens Now?
01. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phases 1 & 2)

Well somehow these two were not ranked and were probably not too far from 50, but I didn't save my whole list. Either way, great songs from an underrated PT album (mostly because I feel like it gets overshadowed and overlooked compared to their following three albums).

Looks like Elite has the least number of unranked songs so far, which means their list is most in line with the Countdown! Very nice! I'm up to eight not-ranked songs, so I'm 22/30 for ranked ones so far. I didn't expect to get two more NR songs and now I wonder just how many of the top 20 didn't make my list.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2023, 07:18:39 AM »
Looks like Elite has the least number of unranked songs so far, which means their list is most in line with the Countdown! Very nice! I'm up to eight not-ranked songs, so I'm 22/30 for ranked ones so far. I didn't expect to get two more NR songs and now I wonder just how many of the top 20 didn't make my list.

I think you're miscounting Elite's list. He's only listing songs as unranked if they didn't make his top 90. You must surely be in the running for most songs ranked yourself!

I'm at 19/30 ranked.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2023, 07:26:46 AM »
Oof, both unranked for me, and now I'm starting to get a bit worried for the remaining songs in my top 20. :lol

Last Chance admittedly made it kinda close. I do like a lot of the things about that song. The atmosphere of that song is really evocative, I enjoy the first half, and the second half is great instrumentally. The sample kinda kills the vibe for me though. I'm not opposed to prominent samples in music whatsoever, but this one I just... don't get. It feels so out of place to me, neither matching the vibe of the music nor the lyrics from the rest of the song. It's just distracting, in my opinion.

Shesmovedon is alright. I like the Deadwing re-recording of it more, though they're pretty similar.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:36:19 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online HOF

« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2023, 07:43:32 AM »
Two of my favorite PT tracks, though I’d have the order switched around. Last Chance might even be my favorite from PT (probably still behind a couple yet to appear tracks though). I love the banjo and jammy instrumental section. The whole band got to stretch out and they really shine on that track. She’s Moved On is another example of SW’s compelling lead guitar ability. I think I initially thought the Deadwing re-record was cool, but revisiting it recently it did feel a bit overworked. The original is still the best, especially when listened together with Last Chance.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2023, 08:46:25 AM »
Well this is a bit embarrassing. I do really like Shesmovedon but not at number two. That was a mistake and will teach me to check a list before submitting it in future. It should have been around 20. Ooops.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2023, 08:50:12 AM »

I think you're miscounting Elite's list. He's only listing songs as unranked if they didn't make his top 90. You must surely be in the running for most songs ranked yourself!

I'm at 19/30 ranked.

That's right! I ranked 90 tunes to come up with the top 50. Of the ones listed so far, I have 4 unranked ones, 11 in the 51-90 range and 15 (half of the total tracks) so far that actually made my top 50.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2023, 09:05:24 AM »
Well this is a bit embarrassing. I do really like Shesmovedon but not at number two. That was a mistake and will teach me to check a list before submitting it in future. It should have been around 20. Ooops.

I demand a recount! :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2023, 10:04:02 AM »

I'm at 19/30 ranked.

That's right! I ranked 90 tunes to come up with the top 50. Of the ones listed so far, I have 4 unranked ones, 11 in the 51-90 range and 15 (half of the total tracks) so far that actually made my top 50.

You guys are right. That's what I get for replying not too long after I wake up.  :lol I guess from here on out, I hope the remaining 20 songs are all songs I have on the rest of my Top 50!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2023, 10:36:11 AM »
49 (t) Normal UNRANKED
49 (t) Where We Would Be UNRANKED
48 The Blind House 6
47 Halo 4
46 Lips of Ashes UNRANKED
45 Stars Die UNRANKED
44 Feel So Low UNRANKED
43 Fadeaway UNRANKED
42 Dignity UNRANKED
41 Drown with Me 24
40 Herd Culling 38
39 The Creator Has a Mastertape 30
38 Strip the Soul 19
37 Harridan 49
36 What Happens Now? UNRANKED
35 My Ashes UNRANKED
34 Stop Swimming UNRANKED
33 Waiting UNRANKED
32 Gravity Eyelids 14
31 Glass Arm Shattering UNRANKED
30 Sentimental UNRANKED
29 I Drive the Hearse 21
28 Chimera’s Wreck UNRANKED
27 The Sky Moves Sideways UNRANKED
26 Open Car 9
25 Sleep Together 27
24 Mellotron Scratch UNRANKED
23 Time Flies 1
22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled UNRANKED
21 Shesmovedon 39

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »
22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled (my ranking: 8)

Wouldn't have been shocked if I had the high ranking on this one, but nope!

Love this song. Love the warm instrumentation, and the way everything sounds lush despite the simplicity of the arrangement. Love the wistful ballad in the first half, and the kinda-spacey jam in the second half. This song takes me on a journey ... though hopefully not to the same destination as Marshall Applewhite.

21 Shesmovedon (my ranking: N/R)

Oddly enough, this one didn't rank for me. I enjoy it a ton, and it's on one of my favorite albums, but just too many other tracks I like even better. Including the one just above.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2023, 12:26:16 PM »
There will be no recount. :lol :P

Points total won't come till after the countdown is over, but interestingly, had nobloodyname put Shesmovedon at 20, the loss of 18 points would have dropped it two spots in the countdown (of course, the rest of his top 20 moves around as well, which would affect many other songs).

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2023, 12:32:17 PM »
#22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled - My Ranking: #09

This is one I love due to the atmosphere, the acoustic guitar verses, and how it gradually builds. I feel it could've been a bit longer though, especially the part that comes on right after the lyrics "Kissed me on the lips" That is my favorite part and it's a nice shift in vibe that signals "things are not what they seem". Then we get the ending with the cult leader announcing his intention.

#21 Shesmovedon - My Ranking: #15

I listened to the Deadwing version first. My friend then showed me the Lightbulb Sun version, and I still prefer the Deadwing Version. I don't know, the vibe that one has is quite different than the Lightbulb Sun one. I like how it fits in with the vibe of Deadwing, and the inclusion of Mikaels vocals adds a nice touch.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Realm

« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2023, 01:37:49 PM »

5 Top 10 Finishes

21 Shesmovedon
3 Top 10 Finishes

Last Chance - unranked. Yeah I may also have undersold this song, I do really enjoy it as I do the whole album but I didn't get this song in my top 50.

Shesmovedon - My rank 3. This is just brilliant and without a doubt one of my very favourite PT songs. I just love the melodies in this song and the vocal arrangement in the chorus is just magical. A great track that I thought would rank higher.

At this stage I have 11 unranked songs, hoping that is all..

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2023, 04:51:24 AM »
Shesmovedon - My rank 3. This is just brilliant and without a doubt one of my very favourite PT songs. I just love the melodies in this song and the vocal arrangement in the chorus is just magical. A great track that I thought would rank higher.

That makes me feel a bit better :biggrin:

Sorry, folks. Still, I imagine most of us would move a few songs around if we could, anyway.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (#s 20-18 featured!)
« Reply #366 on: January 28, 2023, 06:11:39 AM »
The big dogs are coming...

:metal :metal

20 A Smart Kid
Appeared on 15 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 3 (SomeoneLikeHim)
4 Top 10 Finishes

I ranked this 20th, so I nailed its spot.  Amazing song, with an incredible vibe.  I love how desolate it sounds, and the vocal melodies are absolutely glorious.

19 The Sound of Muzak
Highest Finish: 8 (nobloodyname)
1 Top 10 Finish

I feel like I vastly under ranked this one, as I had it at 26, but it feels like a top 10-15 song.  The harmonies are beyond good, and it has one of SW's best guitar solos ever. 

18 Hatesong
Highest Finish: 2 (Buddyhunter1)
6 Top 10 Finishes

My love for this song over the years has never wavered, which I why it ranked it 9th.  The original is just a stunning piece of music with a bad ass groove by Chris Maitland (the live versions with Gavin, not so much). 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2023, 06:39:47 AM »
A Smart Kid was my #10 and highest ranked from Stupid Dream. In my last post I wrote that aside from my #1 I pretty sure every song in my top 10 will show up still, but when I wrote that I actually wasn't all too sure about this one, so I'm glad it's here :)

The Sound of Muzak was #57 on my list and top 20 seems WAY too high. Same for Hatesong, which was #64 on mine. Both fine tracks, but not really songs I go out of my way to listen to.
Squ

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #368 on: January 28, 2023, 06:51:51 AM »
Normal
The Blind House
Halo
The Creator Has a Mastertape
Strip the Soul
What Happens Now?
Waiting
Gravity Eyelids
Chimera’s Wreck
The Sky Moves Sideways
Time Flies

48. I Drive the Hearse
46. Lips of Ashes
45. Harridan
39. Open Car
38. Dignity
34. Stars Die
32. Herd Culling
30. My Ashes
29. Sleep Together
27. Where We Would Be
26 Shesmovedon
25. Fadeaway
24. Stop Swimming
23. Mellotron Scratch
18. Hatesong
17. Sentimental
16. Glass Arm Shattering
15. Drown With Me
13. The Sound of Muzak
11. Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
10. Feel So Low
3. A Smart Kid

Now these are some great songs! A Smart Kid is one of my all time favorites, almost perfect. When I hear that opening piano melody join the guitar it always grabs me. I love how desperate the chorus sounds, as well as the ending guitar solo. One of Stevens most emotional solos for sure.

Sound of Muzak is a great catchy pop song. The chorus and the solo are top tier, with the verses dragging it down just a bit for me. Hatesong is just groovy as hell, love it.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #369 on: January 28, 2023, 07:36:57 AM »
20 A Smart Kid (my ranking: 26)

Probably my favorite "last survivor of the apocalypse" song outside of "King of the World" by Steely Dan.

Beautiful, poignant, dramatic, powerful. A great piece of songwriting.

19 The Sound of Muzak (my ranking: 38)

Every prog-related musician needs at least one "F the music industry" song, and Steven gave us two on back-to-back albums. The main guitar line, syncopated with the drums, is brilliant and absolutely makes the song. The chord progression in the chorus is basically trademark PT.

18 Hatesong (my ranking: 3)

This song is an absolute tour de force. The Colin bass groove that kicks it off. The intentionally-raw lyrics, just dripping with anger. The sound design by Richard. The way the guitar riff jumps in and out just before the big instrumental part. The really-messed-up solo. The way they break the whole groove down again at the end of the song as it heads for the fadeout. I've got this ranked at #3 and it deserves that lofty position.

And how good is Chris Maitland on the two big tracks on the second half of Lightbulb Sun? Monster of a performance.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2023, 07:58:25 AM »
20 A Smart Kid
Appeared on 15 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 3 (SomeoneLikeHim)
4 Top 10 Finishes

19 The Sound of Muzak
Highest Finish: 8 (nobloodyname)
1 Top 10 Finish

18 Hatesong
Highest Finish: 2 (Buddyhunter1)
6 Top 10 Finishes

NR. Where We Would Be
NR. The Blind House
NR. Fadeaway
NR. Glass Arm Shattering
NR. I Drive The Hearse
NR. Chimera's Wreck
NR. Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
NR. Shesmovedon
NR. A Smart Kid
50. Drown With Me
48. Strip The Soul
46. Harridan
45. Mellotron Scratch
43. Halo
41. Stars Die
40. Sentimental
38. Waiting (Phases 1 & 2)
37. Feel So Low
34. Time Flies
33. Open Car
31. Herd Culling
29. Dignity
25. Lips Of Ashes
24. My Ashes
23. Sleep Together
22. Normal
19. Gravity Eyelids
18. Stop Swimming
17. The Creator Has A Mastertape
14. The Sound Of Muzak
07. What Happens Now?
06. Hatesong
01. The Sky Moves Sideways (Phases 1 & 2)

Somehow "A Smart Kid" missed my top 50, but I'm sure it wasn't too far off. Great song.

Had "The Sound Of Muzak" at 14th. One of the first PT songs I remember hearing and was blown away by it and IT STILL moves me to this day. Amazing song with poignant lyrics and mindbending drumming from Gavin.

"Hatesong" ended up in 6th for me. One of my two favorites off of LS and an experience for sure. I'm quite happy to see it this high.

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2023, 08:07:13 AM »
The Sound of Muzak would have been top 5 for me. Great tune.

Hatesong is kind of obnoxious to me. More moody teeenagery lyrics.

I can’t remember what A Smart Kid sounds like off the top of my head, but I do have that album.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:12:51 AM by HOF »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2023, 08:12:11 AM »
I'm surprised TSOM is as high as it is. It's a great song and all but I would've thought the "old man yells at cloud" lyrics would've put people off. Maybe you're all old men yelling at clouds.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2023, 08:49:13 AM »
Unranked

- Where Would We Be
- The Blind House
- Halo
- Lips of Ashes
- Stars Die
- Feel So Low
- Fadeaway
- The Creator Has A Mastertape
- Stop Swimming
- Gravity Eyelids
- I Drive The Hearse
- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Open Car
- Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
- Shesmovedon

Ranked

#50: Normal
#49:
#48: Drown With Me
#47: A Smart Kid
#46: The Sound Of Muzak

---
#38: Glass Arm Shattering
---
#34: Dignity
#33: Chimera's Wreck
---
#29: Herd Culling
#28: Sleep Together
---
#23: Mellotron Scratch
#22: Waiting (both phases)
#21:
#20: Time Flies
#19:
#18: Sentimental
#17: What Happens Now?
#16:
#15: My Ashes
---
#10: Strip The Soul
#9:
#8: Harridan
---
#2: Hatesong

A Smart Kid: Good vocal melodies on this one, and a very somber tune. Well-constructed, but it's definitely not their most exciting song so it ranked pretty low for me.

The Sound Of Muzak: I was actually expecting this to rank a bit higher. :lol A good song for sure, though a bit overrated. The choruses are definitely the highlight, with that smooth bassline, harmonized vocals, and iconic chord progression that Steven Wilson absolutely loved to spam at least half of the chords from around this era. :lol

Hatesong: :metal :metal :metal I don't think there's any other song in the band's catalog where they feel as much like, well, a band. Steven Wilson himself takes a backseat on this one, and most of the interesting stuff comes from the bassline, drums, and keyboards. This song is groovy as hell, everyone puts on an awesome performance, and the song is structured in such a way where the instrumentation really gets to shine, with the slow introduction at the middle, the fiery instrumental section in the middle, and the smooth little jam at the very end. I love this song because it's so different for them. Usually the songwriting is the appeal of Porcupine Tree for me, but this is a few steps a way from a full-on jam, and it's executed so well for being such an abnormality in the catalog (I guess there's Moonloop, but needless to say I didn't rank that one :lol). Proud to be the highest-ranker for this one. :tup
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:56:43 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2023, 08:53:14 AM »
This is more like it!

I had A Smart Kid at #38. Great song.

TSOM and Hatesong would’ve both gotten a boost from me if I had gotten my list turned in in time.  TSOM was #7 and Hatesong was #6.

TSOM is always my go to song when I want to introduce anyone to PT. It’s short. The beat is weird and proggy, but still easy to groove to. And hey! I was only 30 when those lyrics first came out, and thought they were pretty spot on! Does that prove you get “old” at 30?  ::)

Hatesong I heard first on LS, but it was the live version from AS that hit a home run with me. That stop/start section before the guitar solo took me a dozen listens before I could wrap my head around what was going on. I love songs that make me try to figure out what they are doing. The live video was the first time I had ever seen a drummer lick his thumb and and drag it across the drum head for a sound effect. I’m sure it’s probably an old trick, but I had still never seen that done, so it really blew my mind when I saw it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2023, 09:19:15 AM »
I think The Sound of Muzak is a divisive tune. I do not like the lyrics to the song, I don't agree with them and I'm not sure what to make of them. Are they meant to be tongue in cheek? Sarcastic? Why package them in a sing-along chorus? What's the point of this song? This is one of those moments that SW tries too hard and misses the mark. Instead of raging that he's never had any 'mainstream success' (recent interviews, I think during the To the Bone cycle), he could instead appreciate that he managed to create a living out of making music.

Anyway, one of the 'worst songs' on In Absentia. The sing-along chorus mentioned above is fun in a live setting though, despite its untrue and almost cringe-worthy lyrics. Music isn't 'going down' as long as there's still people playing music.

EDIT: And it's stupid, because in some ways I do agree with what he's trying to say, but the point isn't that 'music is going down', as far as I'm concerned, it's that people are missing the point not only of music, but of art in general, but this is an arguments that's been done to death in recent years too. When people start taking music (or film, or artworks, or idk, anything that takes creativity to make) for granted and since it's always available at any given moment, it loses its value and the art gets detached from the creator. Couple that with a severely lacking educational system that doesn't encourage people to pursue creativity and people will (on a broad, general level) not appreciate the effort it takes for someone to create something. The insane paradox about this is that people actually DO WANT to be able to do this. I see this weekly; people admiring other people playing instruments or singing and wishing they could do that too. It takes hard work, and good education - and in some way a society that actually values art and enables people to engage in it - to get there and when you deprive people of that, they're unwillingly missing out and that is a shame and the larger problem at hand.

Rant over. Sorry for completely going off topic.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:32:38 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2023, 09:29:19 AM »
In my last post I wrote that aside from my #1 I pretty sure every song in my top 10 will show up still, but when I wrote that I actually wasn't all too sure about this one, so I'm glad it's here :)

At this point I'm fairly certain my #6 didn't make the list at all. :'( Everything else in my top 10 is probably a safe bet, though.

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »
Not sure if he did this at all the shows on the last tour, but when I saw them, Steven did a lengthy introduction to TSOM even further expanding on the lyrics in a dramatic, smug fashion. "I wrote this song 20 years ago ... look at how amazingly correct I was!" [audience applauds]

Kinda funny, kinda cringey, but that's SW.

Also, I think I'm gonna have two songs in my top 10 miss the list entirely, but we'll see.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2023, 09:33:47 AM »
Not sure if he did this at all the shows on the last tour, but when I saw them, Steven did a lengthy introduction to TSOM even further expanding on the lyrics in a dramatic, smug fashion. "I wrote this song 20 years ago ... look at how amazingly correct I was!" [audience applauds]

Kinda funny, kinda cringey, but that's SW.

He did at the show I went to and I thought it was stupid, annoying and unnecessary.
Squ

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »
He did at the show I went to and I thought it was stupid, annoying and unnecessary.

And I'm just standing there thinking, in all this time you've been ranting you coulda played "Nine Cats" or something.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2023, 09:47:47 AM »
That would have been amazing!
Squ

Online HOF

« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2023, 10:18:43 AM »
I think The Sound of Muzak is a divisive tune. I do not like the lyrics to the song, I don't agree with them and I'm not sure what to make of them. Are they meant to be tongue in cheek? Sarcastic? Why package them in a sing-along chorus? What's the point of this song? This is one of those moments that SW tries too hard and misses the mark. Instead of raging that he's never had any 'mainstream success' (recent interviews, I think during the To the Bone cycle), he could instead appreciate that he managed to create a living out of making music.

Anyway, one of the 'worst songs' on In Absentia. The sing-along chorus mentioned above is fun in a live setting though, despite its untrue and almost cringe-worthy lyrics. Music isn't 'going down' as long as there's still people playing music.

EDIT: And it's stupid, because in some ways I do agree with what he's trying to say, but the point isn't that 'music is going down', as far as I'm concerned, it's that people are missing the point not only of music, but of art in general, but this is an arguments that's been done to death in recent years too. When people start taking music (or film, or artworks, or idk, anything that takes creativity to make) for granted and since it's always available at any given moment, it loses its value and the art gets detached from the creator. Couple that with a severely lacking educational system that doesn't encourage people to pursue creativity and people will (on a broad, general level) not appreciate the effort it takes for someone to create something. The insane paradox about this is that people actually DO WANT to be able to do this. I see this weekly; people admiring other people playing instruments or singing and wishing they could do that too. It takes hard work, and good education - and in some way a society that actually values art and enables people to engage in it - to get there and when you deprive people of that, they're unwillingly missing out and that is a shame and the larger problem at hand.

Rant over. Sorry for completely going off topic.

I take the central message of the Sound of Muzak to just be complaining that music only exists as either a commodity or background music to most people, and it isn't made or consumed for artistic purposes (and I guess how it's essentially mass produced based on formulas to have the broadest appeal rather than being a personal, artistic expression).  It is a bit whiny though, as many SW lyrics are. But it's almost a perfectly executed prog/pop tune. It's complex and catchy and has incredible production.

Come to think of it, it's the third song in three PT albums to critique/complain about the music industry (after Piano Lessons and Four Chords That Made a Million).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:31:28 AM by HOF »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »
I suppose I have always hated the idea of music being “manufactured”. And that, to me, is what the song is criticizing.

I mean, I get that at a certain point, you have to start accepting the fact that music is a commodity. But it still rubs me the wrong way. 

It’s like, I used to be in several bands, and I passionately pursued the idea of making a living making art. But at a certain point, I realized that if I pursued my goal to its logical conclusion, that music was going to become my “job” and that I was going to have customers that I would have to answer to. And a “brand” that I was going to be labeled with.  The whole idea made my skin crawl.   I can still create for my own enjoyment.

Sorry. Don’t want to hijack. Just thoughts on why the song touched me.  I never liked the idea of music being a “product”.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2023, 11:00:25 AM »
Come to think of it, it's the third song in three PT albums to critique/complain about the music industry (after Piano Lessons and Four Chords That Made a Million).

Speaking of Piano Lessons, that’s a much better song than The Sound Of Muzak, both musically and lyrically. Shame that it looks like it won’t appear on the list at all…

Four Chords is pretty lame and I didn’t rank it.

Online HOF

« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2023, 11:07:51 AM »

Speaking of Piano Lessons, that’s a much better song than The Sound Of Muzak, both musically and lyrically. Shame that it looks like it won’t appear on the list at all…

Four Chords is pretty lame and I didn’t rank it.

I didn’t do a list, but Piano Lessons also would have ranked pretty highly for me as well.