Author Topic: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (top 2 featured! - countdown over)  (Read 19901 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I think I know enough to do a top 50. I'll give this a shot and it gives me an excuse to listen to their new album again, as I haven't listened to it much at all.

Definitely will be using the ranker to weed out the songs I don't know really and will go from there. I really like doing these lists and hearing all the songs at least once, but don't think I'll have the time to do it with this list.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Well that was epic. Down to 69 songs for final consideration now which may or may not include both Linton Samuel Dawson and Jupiter Island 😎

Lot of instrumentals in PT's back catalogue. Who knew?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
we are already down to just three songs that have been on every list thus far.

That's surprisingly low. We got some contrarians around here? :P (I say fully knowing that I put a song at #25 that nobody else will include in their list)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Luckily, I still have my previous list, which I had my top 55 already. I think maybe 1 or 2 of the new songs might sneak in, so we will see.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline romdrums

we are already down to just three songs that have been on every list thus far.

That's surprisingly low. We got some contrarians around here? :P (I say fully knowing that I put a song at #25 that nobody else will include in their list)

I've got more than a few non-album tracks in my list, including 3 in my top 10.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
10 lists now submitted and locked in, eight more days to submit!

Need at least 10 more, so get to work, fans!  :lol :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm working! I've had some really tough choices in the ranking engine.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm definitely submitting one. Plus ReaperKK, that'll make 12. Anyone else going to be joining in?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I am sure there are some staying silent who are prepping their lists as we speak.  :biggrin:

But this is a good indicator of why I am likely to stray away from bands considered largely prog with these countdowns going forward.  PT is probably one of the most popular bands here, yet interest in this doesn't seem super high.  The hard rock, straight rock and metal fans seem to dig these countdown threads more, so I will tilt that way. I go with what the masses want.  :tup :tup

Offline Mladen

Have you perhaps considered doing a countdown of lyricists? Do you think that would be an interesting topic for the folks?

Offline Ben_Jamin

I'm almost done with mine. But most of these I haven't heard, especially those early songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm almost done with mine. But most of these I haven't heard, especially those early songs.

I think there are about 30 songs that I don't have and aren't available on streaming services.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline The Realm

I will be submitting a list. Already did one for the original top 75 so just need to double check and will submit in the next day or two.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Have you perhaps considered doing a countdown of lyricists? Do you think that would be an interesting topic for the folks?

I considered doing that, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it wasn't a good idea, at least not one I'd want to do. 

Glad to see some more chiming in today about doing the PT one, however.  :tup :tup

Offline Animal

I am sure there are some staying silent who are prepping their lists as we speak.  :biggrin:

But this is a good indicator of why I am likely to stray away from bands considered largely prog with these countdowns going forward.  PT is probably one of the most popular bands here, yet interest in this doesn't seem super high.  The hard rock, straight rock and metal fans seem to dig these countdown threads more, so I will tilt that way. I go with what the masses want.  :tup :tup

Kev, do you think this might be due to the fact that hard rock/metal fans tend to be completionists while proggers are more often just cherry pickers? The former like to stick to their favorite band and buy or listen to all its albums while the latter just pick few albums and move on to another band. Obviously, I don't have any statistics to prove or disprove that, just personal experience. I am definitely in the cherrypickers camp so there are only handful of bands I know the whole discography of. And without being familiar with the whole catalog (or having only few missing spots so there is ample time to digest unknown songs by the deadline), I can't meaningfully participate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Kev, do you think this might be due to the fact that hard rock/metal fans tend to be completionists while proggers are more often just cherry pickers? The former like to stick to their favorite band and buy or listen to all its albums while the latter just pick few albums and move on to another band. Obviously, I don't have any statistics to prove or disprove that, just personal experience. I am definitely in the cherrypickers camp so there are only handful of bands I know the whole discography of. And without being familiar with the whole catalog (or having only few missing spots so there is ample time to digest unknown songs by the deadline), I can't meaningfully participate.

I don't buy this theory.  I have no way to get into the minds of hard rock fans or prog fans, but I don't buy the idea that hard rock fans are more loyal to their favorites and more likely to go the distance with them than prog fans are with their favorites.  If anything, I think prog fans get too tied up in the "prog is awesome, and if ain't prog, it ain't worth my time" line of thinking, but that's a whole other conversation... :lol :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
List sent!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
And I submitted mine a few minutes ago, funnily enough.

What are we up to, Kev?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Up to 12 now.  I had hoped to get at least 20-25, but I guess now 15 is the best guess.  :( :(

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
I'm almost done my list; in fact, I should be ready to submit mine later tonight.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Hey, less people means our choices are more likely to appear! :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

Hey, less people means our choices are more likely to appear! :biggrin:

I hope you all put Lips of Ashes in the Top 10. ;)

Offline The Realm

List submitted.

Really looking forward to this one as I have no idea how this is going to turn out and whether my own personal favourites match anyone elses.

I haven't read many opinions on the forum about PT and what is the consensus pick(s) for best album(s) and song(s).

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm actually really looking forward to this one. I feel like with most of the lists that I've been familiar with I can usually figure out what's going to be near the top and bottom but PT is hard to read.

Offline The Great Zo

Entry has been submitted!

Offline Revenge319

List submitted!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
We are now at 15!

Anyone else planning to submit by the end of Saturday this week (the cutoff date and time)?

Offline faizoff

I'll submit mine by tomorrow.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
At least 5 more would be awesome.

Let's go guys!!! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
We are now at 15!

Anyone else planning to submit by the end of Saturday this week (the cutoff date and time)?

Me!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

I am refining my list and will hopefully submit it tomorrow.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
 :tup :tup

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
I'm finalizing my list and will submit later today!  :tup
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline The Letter M

We are now at 15!

I will send my list either tonight or tomorrow (Saturday). Work and life has just kept me occupied so I haven't had a chance to sit down and hammer this out.

EDIT - list sent! Can't wait for this to start! While I've been a long-time PT fan, I feel like I haven't given them their due in recent years (mostly because the band has been inactive), but I've slowly been putting them back into my listening rotation since C/C came out last year.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 01:43:05 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

List sent just now. I guess I did know more than 50 songs.  :lol