Author Topic: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (top 2 featured! - countdown over)  (Read 19891 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (#s 45 & 44 featured!)
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2023, 06:45:16 AM »
I had Stars Die at number 11. It's one of my favorite PT songs. The bass playing coupled with the ghost notes on the snare set an incredible mood. It's also a really digestible song, Stars Die was one of the first PT tracks I checked out and it was easy to listen to and appreciate.

Feel So Low is a big grower for me but I still have it ranked at 143. I hated this song when I first heard it. I almost had a critical eye injury from rolling them after hearing SW say "Thanks" near the end. Over time my hatred has eased up and it's not terrible, I still don't go out of my way to listen to it but I don't automatically skip it either.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2023, 06:58:54 AM »
Stars Die didn't make the 50 but Feel so Low was my #20. Such a great way to end one of my favorite album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Mladen

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2023, 07:02:09 AM »
Feel so low is one of the simplest, most direct sad songs I've ever heard. It's truly innocent and devoid of any complexity that it becomes endearing. It was my #19, I think.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2023, 07:04:23 AM »
45. Stars Die (62). Missed my Top 50 but only because of the strength of the PT catalog.  Stars Die was the first song I heard from PT back in the summer of 1995.  I lived in Grand Rapids, MI back then, and there was a local record store called Vinyl Solution that always had a really strong Progressive Rock section (I discovered so many bands this way!).  It was also the dawn of the internet, so I remember being on the Freaks mailing list and seeing the name PT mentioned.  Anyway, grabbed it and loved it, and when I could afford the import version of The Sky Moves Sideways, I grabbed that as well.  Loved the song, and I was super stoked to hear them perform this at the Park Ave in-store appearance in 2007, along with The Sky Moves Sideways and Waiting, which were some of my early PT favorites.

44. Feel So Low (84). Way down on my list, but not because it's a bad song.  Again, as a long time fan of PT, I really, to paraphrase the movie Office Space, "celebrate their entire catalog."

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTA

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2023, 07:06:47 AM »
Stars Die was 19 for me. Another moody, atmospheric piece that really defined this era of PT. The drum part is really cool and not something I could ever see Gavin doing so I’m glad Chris was the drummer.

Feel So Low was unranked. I like it but it never stood out too much for me. Kind of a weak closing track, though I like how it connects to Russia On Ice.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2023, 07:07:58 AM »
Cool!

Star Die was #42 on my list. Lovely outtake (?? It’s not on my main disc from TSMS) from the TSMS sessions and the song that gave the name to the brilliant collection of early PT tunes. Like this one a lot! Apparently also SW’s mother’s favourite PT tune if I recall correctly from reading this somewhere a long time ago.

Feel so Low went unranked on my list and thus wasn’t even considered.

Here’s what we have so far:

UR - Normal
UR - Where we Would Be
UR - Feel so Low

#84 - My Ashes
#61 - Halo

#42 - Stars Die
#14 - The Blind House
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2023, 07:08:53 AM »
Stars Die was #44 on my list. Feel so low did not make the cut.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2023, 07:13:17 AM »
Two good ones today!

I really like Stars Die, it's the kind of song that can just absorb you. Love to close my eyes to this one. #34 for me.

I really had no idea how Feel So Low would do in this, I figured I would be the highest ranker at #10 but I'm glad to see some others not far behind! Absolutely love it, beautiful in its simplicity and very emotional. I can see why some would find it eye-roll inducing but I think it feels genuine. I also think it's cool that it is so distinctly a sad song even though the vast majoity of the song is made of major chords. Probably my favorite counterexample to major = happy and minor = sad.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2023, 07:31:24 AM »
Two more that are fine songs but I didn't rank at all.

Y'all are starting to drop the ball here. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline HOF

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2023, 07:34:34 AM »
Feel So Slow is a nice song, pretty is a good descriptor. I think the lyrics just come across as a little too teenage angsty in places, though I can relate to that time period when I actually did use email to communicate with friends because nobody had cell phones yet.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2023, 07:37:10 AM »
Halo: ranked that one at 39, more based on my years of enjoyment, seeing it as an encore etcetera. Especially live the track's chorus just lights up the room, also at the show I was at last year.

Lips of Ashes: yeah I had that at #4. I always get transported to a ‘place’ and that has to do with that incredible sounding hammered dulcimer and reverb. Love the vocals and the guitar solo is heavenly. I know the lyrics are about disturbing stuff, but I'm just perceiving them as something beautiful and soothing.

The Blind House: good song, probably didn’t make my top 50 by a hair. The song seems to lack a cool bridge or something like a guitar solo, which probably has to do with the song cycle idea of The Incident.

Stars Die: an absolute gem. Had it ranked at 38.

Feel So Low: Didn't rank for me. One of the few PT/SW songs that hasn’t connected with me. I don’t know why. I appreciate the sparseness of it. Lightbulb Sun ends with Russia On Ice, with Feel So Low acting as the ending credits - that's how I perceive it. I let it play, but I’m not really paying attention anymore. Who knows, this song might become one of my favorites years from now; it happens.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:38:09 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2023, 07:38:50 AM »
45 Stars Die (my ranking: 41)

I'm close to the consensus on this one. One of the more compact and concise of the early PT songs -- an early attempt to write something shorter and poppier, but still keeps that dreamy atmosphere I enjoy from the early material.

44 Feel So Low (my ranking: NR)

I've got mixed feelings on some of the quiet / contemplative / simple PT tracks like this one, and Feel So Low isn't a favorite, but there are things I like about it. Are the lyrics horribly dated and overly syrupy, or are they a poignant snapshot in time at someone's raw feelings of rejection? You decide!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2023, 07:44:28 AM »
Didn’t rank Stars Die, and never quite understood the praise it gets. It’s a decent song, and I enjoy it, but it’s middle of the road even in their early stuff.

I really love Feel So Low. I guess I never thought of the lyrics as being eye-rolling, but that’s probably because I remember actually being in that moment and feeling those exact feelings. The ending “thanks” is absolutely brilliant. As much as I love it, it was still just 44 on my list. Too much good stuff.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2023, 07:45:47 AM »

#84 - My Ashes

Lips of Ashes maybe?  :lol I was all confused, scrolling back to see what I've missed.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »
Looks like I was the highest rater for Stars Die

I love the soft and gentleness of the instruments throughout the song (especially Colin's bass) juxtaposed against the violence of the lyrics, and then how the song hits harder after Nixon's speech.  Maybe a bit of a different take on what Gabriel did on "Here Comes the Flood".

I read somewhere it's Steven's mom's favorite song of his.

Feel so Low, just a cool melancholy song, love the violin at the end to add to the emotions.

Catching up here:

49. Normal : NR but close #52
49. Where Would We Be:
48: The Blind House : NR
47: Halo : NR
46: Lips of Ashes : NR
45 : Stars Die : 9
44 : Feel So Low : 32

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »

#84 - My Ashes

Lips of Ashes maybe?  :lol I was all confused, scrolling back to see what I've missed.

No, that’s actually correct :lol

I meant to input Lips of Ashes indeed, which I had at #86 ..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2023, 11:21:25 AM »
Stars Die
My ranking: Unranked.

Feel So Low
My ranking: Unranked...

...because I somehow forgot to rank it! It's a shame, too, because I really like Feel So Low. It used to be in the top tier of PT songs for me, but it's gone down a couple tiers over time. But it's not as though there's anything I dislike about it, I just forgot to rank it. I like the mood that the acoustic guitar and violin portray. It's not just a feeling of sadness, it's a feeling of defeat, which makes the lyrics all the stronger. It's not the most emotional or melancholic song PT for me, but it is still really well-done in that regard.

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2023, 11:29:18 AM »
49 (t) Normal UNRANKED
49 (t) Where We Would Be UNRANKED
48 The Blind House 6
47 Halo 4
46 Lips of Ashes UNRANKED
45 Stars Die UNRANKED
44 Feel So Low UNRANKED

Offline The Realm

« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2023, 02:18:46 PM »

45 Stars Die
Appeared on 11 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 9 (Duetsch Dream Dates)
1 Top 10 Finish

44 Feel So Low
Appeared on 9 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 10 (SomeoneLikeHim)
1 Top 10 Finish

Two great songs today.

Stars Die - I ranked at 24. Just a really beautiful feel to this song.

Feel So Low - 14 for me. One of those heartbreaking melancholy songs that PT just does so well. This has always been a favourite of mine and could easily have been top 10 but there is just so many good songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2023, 02:43:21 PM »
#45 Stars Die - My Ranking: (Did Not Rank)

The second Porcupine Tree album I bought was Stars Die: The Delirium Years that I found at Hastings. This song is on it and I quite enjoyed it when I bought it. Unfortunately for this top 50, it just missed being included. I enjoy this album because it includes all the awesome atmospheric, psychedelic, and laid-back sounds of their earlier years.

#44 Feel So Low - My Ranking: #42

A song that I feel I ranked a bit too low now. This was one of the first songs I heard from Lightbulb Sun, and where I was at the time, it really hit me. With that nice guitar tone, to the keyboards, and the laid-backness of it all, it makes me feel contempt. Steven's vocal tone highly compliments the message of the lyrics. I consider this one of Porcupine Trees most emotional songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Realm

« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2023, 06:20:53 PM »
My apologies everyone (not that anyone really cares) but was just looking at my list and noticed that I did actually rank The Blind House at 45. I said in my original write up it was unranked as that was my memory - that it just missed out but no, I actually got in in there.

Anyway continue on. Really enjoying this countdown so far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2023, 06:23:04 PM »
Hint for tomorrow:

We see the first song in the top 50 that was ranked at number 1 on someone's list.

And I would ask that if you think it is yours, kindly do not say what song it is, that way it is more of a surprise for everyone else tomorrow.  :) :)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2023, 06:37:36 PM »
Being the contrarian that I am when it comes to these lists and musical choices opinions all around I'm going to guess and say it's mine :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2023, 10:28:56 PM »
Being the contrarian that I am when it comes to these lists and musical choices opinions all around I'm going to guess and say it's mine :lol

Honestly, it could be mine too.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (#s 43-41 featured!)
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2023, 05:46:52 AM »
Three today!

43 Fadeaway
Appeared on 7 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (ReaperKK)
1 Top 10 Finish

I didn't rank this one, but it's definitely a damn fine song, and one of my favorites from the early years.  I was lucky enough to see them actually play this on the Deadwing tour, although John Wesley singing it took a bit of the joy out of it.  Even though I didn't rank it, it's cool to see it make the top 50.

42 Dignity
Highest Finish: 10 (BRGM)
1 Top 10 Finish

The first of the new songs!! I ranked this 27th, which felt about right, but we will see in a year or two how much I elevate or demote it.  Great song, and a spectacular finish.  I think this will hold up over time as one of the top ones from Closure/Continuation.

41 Drown with Me
Appeared on 12 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 10 (ReaperKK)
1 Top 10 Finish

I think I underrated this one when doing the ranker, as it finished 31st for me, but I used to say this was borderline top 10, and I think just as much of it now as I did then.  Great, great song.  I think it not being on In Absentia was the right call, as it wouldn't have really fit on the album, but it definitely was one of the better songs from those sessions.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2023, 05:59:53 AM »
Before doing my list I was pretty clueless when it came to the pre-Signify material. I tried to give all of it a fair chance before doing the ranking but admittedly few songs from that era made my final list. One that stood out to me immediately though was Fadeaway, what a gorgeous song! Absolutely beautiful. I ranked it at #25 but it could definitely move higher as familiarity grows.

Dignity was my #38. It actually grew on me quite a bit seeing it live even though Steven messed up the first verse and had to restart the song.  :lol

Drown with Me is just always a joy to listen to. Just a great poppy rock song, #15 for me.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2023, 06:03:33 AM »
43 Fadeaway
Appeared on 7 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (ReaperKK)
1 Top 10 Finish

42 Dignity
Highest Finish: 10 (BRGM)
1 Top 10 Finish

41 Drown with Me
Appeared on 12 of 22 lists
Highest Finish: 10 (ReaperKK)
1 Top 10 Finish

NR. Where We Would Be
NR. The Blind House
NR. Fadeaway
50. Drown With Me
43. Halo
41. Stars Die
37. Feel So Low
29. Dignity
25. Lips Of Ashes
22. Normal

Fadeaway didn't make my top 50 but it is definitely a standout among early PT material. Drown With Me barely made it and I agree, it was one of the better songs from the IA era. And Dignity is SO good, and looking back at my list I wish I had rated it a bit higher.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2023, 06:26:04 AM »
:lol I knew it was gonna be me. Fadeaway was the second or third song I remember hearing when checking out PT and I loved it. I later realized the version I was listening to was the one that had Gavin on drums, it wasn't until years later I heard the original. The original is still great with a different vibe.

Dignity is probably my favorite song from C/C.

Drown With Me is a fantastic song that should been on In Absentia, it's better than most songs on IA.

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2023, 07:19:46 AM »
49. Normal : NR but close 52
49. Where Would We Be: 30
45 : Stars Die : 9
44 : Feel So Low : 32
43 : Fadeaway : 14 - Love the sequencing of the last three songs on Up the Downstair
42 : Dignity : NR
41 : Drown with Me : NR

Online Mladen

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2023, 07:23:34 AM »
I like Fadeaway and Dignity, but Drown with me is something else.  :tup

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2023, 07:32:49 AM »
None of those ranked for me :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2023, 07:38:49 AM »
49. Normal : 50
49. Where Would We Be: NR
45 : Stars Die : NR
44 : Feel So Low : NR
43 : Fadeaway : NR
42 : Dignity : 34
41 : Drown with Me : 48

I'm not big on pre-Signify stuff, but Fadeaway is definitely a nice song. It might have ranked for me if I listened to that album more, but whatever.

Dignity is still in the bottom half of my list, but it's a very nice listen. Great atmosphere, satisfying climax.

Drown With Me just barely made my list and while I like it I honestly think it's pretty overrated (sorry Sacul). Steven Wilson said recently that in hindsight he should have replaced Prodigal with it on In Absentia, but I actually have Prodigal ranked slightly higher. Wouldn't be surprised if that one doesn't show up in the overall rankings - not too many people besides me seem to enjoy it much, which is a shame.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2023, 07:43:36 AM »
Fadeaway just cracked my top 50 at #49. 

I ranked 3 songs from C/C. They all made the lower half of my top 50 and Dignity wasn’t one of them. I think this is mostly because the album didn’t immediately grab me as a whole and so I haven’t spent a lot of time with it. All this could change as I get to know the album better. But for the purposes of my ranking, I just pulled out the three standouts that I absolutely loved.

Drown With Me just missed my top 50 at #53. I really adore the song, but its repetitive nature makes it slip a few notches on repeated listens.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2023, 07:45:56 AM »
Does anyone else have a song from C/C in their top 10? :corn

Edit: I guess I could have just read Kev's post for the answer to that. :lol
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:08:22 AM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2023, 07:57:11 AM »
Someone else with old PT songs rated highly!!! :happydance:

Although I didn’thave Fadeaway in my top #50, I have a few other old songs up pretty high, but I want to save the write-ups for when (if?) they show up. Their old material is pretty dear to me.

Dignity as a whole is pretty bad, but has some alright moments, Drown With Me I find better than quite a few of the original album tracks on In Absentia, so I’m happy to see it here (though I expect the majority of the album to show up at some point).

My ranking - pretty bad score so far :lol

UR - Normal
UR - Where we Would Be
UR - Feel so Low

#90 - Dignity
#86 - Lips of Ashes
#65 - Fadeaway
#61 - Halo

#50 - Drown With Me
#42 - Stars Die
#14 - The Blind House
Squ