Author Topic: Porcupine Tree top 50 Countdown! (top 2 featured! - countdown over)  (Read 19977 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Okay, let's give this another go, but as a top 50 which will make it a bit more manageable and less daunting, I think.  :hat :hat

The songs from Closure/Continuation are now included!!

I will count down the top 50 songs songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 50 based off all lists cumulatively and count the songs down from 50 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 50 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 50 songs, listed from 50 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Saturday, January 14th.  I will then begin the countdown two days late on Monday the 16th. This should give anyone and everyone time to listen to the band's songs.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 50 points, number 2 gets 49 points, number 3 gets 48 points, etc.
-PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Special thanks again to Puppies_On_Acid who compiled the original list of songs which I have tweaked.

49 (t) Normal
49 (t) Where We Would Be
48 The Blind House
47 Halo
46 Lips of Ashes
45 Stars Die
44 Feel So Low
43 Fadeaway
42 Dignity
41 Drown with Me
40 Herd Culling
39 The Creator Has a Mastertape
38 Strip the Soul
37 Harridan
36 What Happens Now?
35 My Ashes
34 Stop Swimming
33 Waiting
32 Gravity Eyelids
31 Glass Arm Shattering
30 Sentimental
29 I Drive the Hearse
28 Chimera's Wreck
27 The Sky Moves Sideways
26 Open Car
25 Sleep Together
24 Mellotron Scratch
23 Time Flies
22 Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
21 Shesmovedon
20 A Smart Kid
19 The Sound of Muzak
18 Hatesong
17 Lightbulb Sun
16 Don't Hate Me
15 Fear of a Blank Planet
14 Collapse the Light into Earth
13 Way out of Here
12 The Start of Something Beautiful
11 Deadwing
10 Russia On Ice
09 Lazarus
08 Even Less
07 Heartattack in a Layby
06 Buying New Soul
05 Blackest Eyes
04 Dark Matter
03 Trains
02 Anesthetize
01 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 05:58:14 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I’ll give this a go.

Not a huge fan of TSMS and Waiting having their phases consolidated together (I really like TSMS phase 1 but I don’t like phase 2), but I’ll make do!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 08:58:45 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Execution of the Will of the Marquis de Sade

Doesn’t everybody love this tune?

I’ll try to submit on time!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline HOF

I counted 49 of these songs that I know (or that are on PT albums that I own). I dunno. I just don’t have much interest in this band anymore. Some of these song titles are just preposterous!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Kev, do you still have my original top 75 I sent a while back? My list wouldn't have changed even with the new songs added.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It doesn't change my list either.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It doesn't change my list either.  ;D
[/quote

You dummy. Their albums are amazing.  ]
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Quoteshmegland. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Kev, do you still have my original top 75 I sent a while back? My list wouldn't have changed even with the new songs added.

I do not, unfortunately.  I clean out my PMs every time I start a new countdown thread, and the notification email is long gone as well (I just cleaned out my gmail last week, naturally).  Send it again!  :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Heads-up that Collapse and Orchidia from the Futile EP and Prepare Yourself from TSMS are missing from the list. I'd also include Moonloop (Coda) as its own song but eh.

So many of these other B-sides I don't even recognize. What the fuck is Hokey Cokey? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Woo it's back!!! Going to work on this now.

• DTF.org Member
Heads-up that Collapse and Orchidia from the Futile EP and Prepare Yourself from TSMS are missing from the list. I'd also include Moonloop (Coda) as its own song but eh.

So many of these other B-sides I don't even recognize. What the fuck is Hokey Cokey? :lol
Hokey Cokey should actually be removed, it was retitled Execution of the Will of the Marquis de Sade. That was an oversight on my part when I was putting together the list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Orchidia has been added, and Hokey Cokey has been removed.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Submitted mine. :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Just to try and get a solid head count, who is planning to submit a list for this?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm definitely going to do it. I've been working on knocking the songs out through the ranking engine.

Offline DTA

I'm almost done ranking mine

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Just to try and get a solid head count, who is planning to submit a list for this?

I haven't gotten around to making the list yet, but I definitely want to participate in this ranking.

Offline faizoff

I had already ranked and saved mine from the previous time, will need to do it again with the new album included. I'll submit mine once I get it done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...

Me, Kev. I'm planning to send it until the end of next week or so.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline romdrums

I'm in. Working on it right now.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTwwbwMP

List submitted :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'll try my best to make a list and submit it soon.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

You can't just submit "Drown With Me" 50 times in a row, Sacul.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
^
I did that 25x with 'Freddie Mercury' for the favorite singers countdown, and it seemed to work! ;) :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Thanks for the list submitted thus far, and I look forward to many more.  It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  I expect the 00s material to do well, but how well the early material and the new album both do could go either way.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm really interested to see how it shakes out too. There are quite a few songs I hate pre Lightbulb Sun

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

You can't just submit "Drown With Me" 50 times in a row, Sacul.
>:(

• DTF.org Member
Sent over my list. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
To reiterate:

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 50 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 50 songs, listed from 50 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.

I have had two now submitted without the songs numbered, and I was nice so far, but come on, peeps.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Animal

Looking forward to this thread. I know exactly 27 PT songs, not enough to participate but enough to be ready for some new inspiration. It was this way with Queensryche - I knew OM and a couple of songs from Empire but the countdown made me really explore their music and the Promised Land controversy helped to make it my new favorite.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm not a serious enough fan to take part in this, but for the record my list would look like this...

1. Lazarus
2. - 50. Everything else

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a much bigger fan of Steven's solo output than I am Porcupine Tree so this is taking some real listening. I was reasonably familiar with about 40 songs to begin with. Gonna be using every minute up to that 14 January deadline but I will definitely be submitting a list.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I'm not a serious enough fan to take part in this, but for the record my list would look like this...

1. Lazarus
2. - 50. Everything else

I don't have it quite at #1, but I got you fam. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Eight lists are locked in so far, and we are already down to just three songs that have been on every list thus far.