Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186394 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #7665 on: March 12, 2024, 02:32:56 PM »
Last few days:

Illumishade - Another Side of You
Just a great voice combined with above average songwriting makes this a really enjoyable album.

Yeah, I mentioned this one a few days ago too and I enjoyed it a fair bit. Vocals are very good. The music sometimes does veer a little too much in “musical” territory, but as you say the songwriting is interesting.

Listened to this a few times recently and it's rapidly moving up my favorites list of the year.  The whole orbit around them has been pretty prominent in my listening over the past few months.  I'm not sure I caught the "musical" qualities, and that's not something that normally appeals to me much, though there are a few artists who make it work, so perhaps they're another. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7666 on: March 12, 2024, 03:09:07 PM »
Striker- Ultrapower.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7667 on: March 12, 2024, 03:53:59 PM »

I was getting worried that not a lot of new albums were sticking for me, or even much I thought was any good, but then BAM back to back, I get the Noor album that I am definitely loving and this one, Lord Goblin's s/t.

This has kind of a retro feel, and feels influenced by Byron Era Uriah Heep, BUT, it's much heavier. Really loving this album as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7668 on: March 12, 2024, 03:55:43 PM »
Last few days:

Just a great voice combined with above average songwriting makes this a really enjoyable album.

Yeah, I mentioned this one a few days ago too and I enjoyed it a fair bit. Vocals are very good. The music sometimes does veer a little too much in “musical” territory, but as you say the songwriting is interesting.

Listened to this a few times recently and it's rapidly moving up my favorites list of the year.  The whole orbit around them has been pretty prominent in my listening over the past few months.  I'm not sure I caught the "musical" qualities, and that's not something that normally appeals to me much, though there are a few artists who make it work, so perhaps they're another.

I'm thinking especially of a song like Fairytale...that approach doesn't appeal that much to me either, and indeed that song, while by no means bad, is one of my least favorites for that very reason...

Stumbled upon this tonight and it's pretty  :metal

Clean vocals, but the singer is a bit...I can't describe him. Sounds European but not quite Kotipelto. Sounds a bit like the guy from Trial(swe).
Fucking kick ass music though.

You got my attention with this one. I’m a little behind over the last few days with new listens (work is pretty crazy and I just got one tooth extracted so I’m a little loopy ;) might be a good time to give some albums a shot

I spun this all day at work. They're from Montreal, and the singer...you can hear the French in him. His voice is....acquired. The solo in Flaming Rage  :metal

This is musically pretty excellent metal.

Well, this was a big YES for me. Really enjoyed it, including the vocals. I think they work here. Where did you even find these guys?? They are not on Amazon music, I checked them out on their Bandcamp page. Pretty amazing how well everything flows, considering it's a debut (?). Riffy, urgent...great US (well, Canadian) metal...and "quirky" enough to make it extra-interesting. Great find.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #7669 on: March 12, 2024, 04:15:49 PM »
I'm thinking especially of a song like Fairytale...that approach doesn't appeal that much to me either, and indeed that song, while by no means bad, is one of my least favorites for that very reason...

Yeah, I guess that's sort of the "Disney princess" song on the album.  The heavier and/or moodier ones are the sweet spot. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7670 on: March 12, 2024, 04:31:56 PM »

Yeah, I guess that's sort of the "Disney princess" song on the album.  The heavier and/or moodier ones are the sweet spot.

Absolutely. This was a nice surprise of an album, for sure. As I mentioned here already, the song HYMN almost sounds like a very melodic Dream Theater tune. Something about the melody (and the solo too!)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7671 on: March 12, 2024, 04:42:28 PM »
Did check out some recent releases..

Invincible Shield is another win, after the surprise of Firepower. I'm happy to consider the "actual" album, in terms of it closing with the epicness of Giants in the Sky, but I have to say I like all the bonus tracks too. So, I proceeded to get myself the Target exclusive ;)

Oh, and that Ecclesia album is pretty good! The basis is doomy metal like Candlemass/Sorcerer etc., but the pace is generally briskier. Nice injections of US metal (sometimes they remind me of a more straightforward version of Witherfall...maybe it's the vocals...). First two songs proper (after the intro), If She Floats and Et Cum Spiritu Tuo are good samples.

Enjoyed the classic death metal of Skeletal Remains too. VERY solid. And I will definitely revisit Grey Skies Fallen. There's quite a bit that piqued my interest in there.

Commented on Noor a couple of posts above :)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #7672 on: March 12, 2024, 07:55:21 PM »
King Crimson - Lizard

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7673 on: March 12, 2024, 07:59:45 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7674 on: March 12, 2024, 08:02:26 PM »

Clean vocals, but the singer is a bit...I can't describe him. Sounds European but not quite Kotipelto. Sounds a bit like the guy from Trial(swe).

You got my attention with this one. I’m a little behind over the last few days with new listens (work is pretty crazy and I just got one tooth extracted so I’m a little loopy ;) might be a good time to give some albums a shot

I spun this all day at work. They're from Montreal, and the singer...you can hear the French in him. His voice is....acquired. The solo in Flaming Rage  :metal

Well, this was a big YES for me. Really enjoyed it, including the vocals. I think they work here. Where did you even find these guys?? They are not on Amazon music, I checked them out on their Bandcamp page. Pretty amazing how well everything flows, considering it's a debut (?). Riffy, urgent...great US (well, Canadian) metal...and "quirky" enough to make it extra-interesting. Great find.

Urgent is a great descriptor. The songwriting is really strong, and musically it all feels so intentional if that makes any sense. It has the kind of vibe that separated Lost Horizon from other power metal bands. Not that this is power metal by any stretch, but there's a fullness to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7675 on: March 12, 2024, 08:03:13 PM »

Cleansing your ears between rounds?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7676 on: March 12, 2024, 08:03:51 PM »
Did someone say Lost Horizon?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7677 on: March 12, 2024, 08:05:11 PM »

Do not listen to this album for at least two more weeks!

It's not Lost Horizon or anything like that, but well, you'll see soon enough..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7678 on: March 12, 2024, 08:05:54 PM »

Cleansing your ears between rounds?

I just totally forgot it was out two weeks ago and liked what I heard on the songs released so yeah, breaking things up between rounds.  I'm in two minds to check albums from round 1 yet or not as I won't have time to delve into them, but this was an easy click for today. 

It's generic melodic power metal, but I can't hate it, and Gus G has some absolutely ripping solos on here.  The titled track is fantastic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7679 on: March 12, 2024, 08:06:25 PM »

Do not listen to this album for at least two more weeks!

It's not Lost Horizon or anything like that, but well, you'll see soon enough..

I won't I promise lol.  I haven't clicked anything new the last few weeks, so all good.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7680 on: March 12, 2024, 09:13:29 PM »
Dredg - El Cielo

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #7681 on: March 12, 2024, 09:13:48 PM »
King Crimson - Red

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7682 on: March 13, 2024, 06:55:30 AM »
Striker- Ultrapower.

Just finally spun this yesterday.   :metal  Very much looking forward to seeing them at PPUSA

Urgent is a great descriptor. The songwriting is really strong, and musically it all feels so intentional if that makes any sense. It has the kind of vibe that separated Lost Horizon from other power metal bands. Not that this is power metal by any stretch, but there's a fullness to it.

I'm intrigued
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7683 on: March 13, 2024, 06:55:56 AM »
Fink -Hard Believer

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7684 on: March 13, 2024, 07:13:47 AM »
Last few days:

I gave this a listen this morning, but I had to stop during the third song. It's definitely decent enough, but it has that low guitar tuning that I really don't like. Not sure why they'd go in that direction because the voice seems more than versatile enough.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7685 on: March 13, 2024, 11:20:49 AM »
Jeffrey Martin - Gold in the Water
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7686 on: March 13, 2024, 11:51:23 AM »
TORRES - TORRES
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7687 on: March 13, 2024, 12:33:25 PM »
Brittany Howard - Jaime

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7688 on: March 13, 2024, 12:44:19 PM »
Fastway- Trick or Treat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7689 on: March 13, 2024, 01:39:42 PM »
Humble Pie - As Safe As Yesterday Is

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7690 on: March 13, 2024, 01:40:56 PM »
Boston- Don't Look Back

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7691 on: March 13, 2024, 02:25:35 PM »
Eagles- Hotel California

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7692 on: March 13, 2024, 02:37:43 PM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #7693 on: March 13, 2024, 03:15:38 PM »
New Priest album has got me on a Priest kick

Right now, Painkiller

Yea, it's got me spinning some of their albums too. The new one hit me hard yesterday, holy shit.

Currently spinning Firepower, and it just isn't doing it for me. There's something about the riffs and the production on Invincible Shield, man.

Huh, that's interesting. It's early for me to say how I'll rank Invisible Shield vs. Firepower, but my feeling was if you like one, you probably enjoy the other too. Anyway...I love Firepower, and I'm kinda shocked that they were able to, once again, deliver so much goodness with Invisible Shield, so I'm happy we have both  :)

When I heard Firepower I liked it, but have never been in the mood to revisit it.  I'm halfway through Invincible Shield and already feeling like I'm going to want to return to it again much sooner.  I have no idea how Rob still sounds this good at 72. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7694 on: March 13, 2024, 03:19:38 PM »
I mean, isn't Firepower and Invincible Shield basically the same album?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #7695 on: March 13, 2024, 03:21:21 PM »
FP sounded quite similar from what I remember, but I just might be in the right mood today.  Or they struck the right combination of notes for melodies this time. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #7696 on: March 13, 2024, 03:26:35 PM »
I mean, isn't Firepower and Invincible Shield basically the same album?

As someone who for the first time is digging Judas Priest, on a whole new level, I would say Invincible Shield is infinitely better than Firepower. It's all in the production and the riffs for me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #7697 on: March 13, 2024, 03:34:53 PM »
The production sounds very similar to me, and the style is the same, but you just never know which riffs and melodies are going to hit and which aren't. 

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7698 on: March 13, 2024, 03:37:33 PM »
I’d say the riffs on Firepower were a lot more simple.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #7699 on: March 13, 2024, 05:21:40 PM »