Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186083 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #6930 on: February 09, 2024, 09:05:20 AM »
I'm almost done with it, and I really like it. Early AOTY contender for me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6931 on: February 09, 2024, 09:57:51 AM »

Chapel of Disease - Echoes of Light

Buddy, I know you're a fan. I thought this was better than the previous album, but it didn't have my full attention at the time. Definitely moments my ears pricked up though, and I know I'll be coming back to it.

Just putting it on now. I'm literally only familiar with And As We Have Seen The Storm We Have Embraced The Eye, but that's a really fucking high bar to clear. Their first two albums are on streaming now so I'll probably check those out at some point too.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6932 on: February 09, 2024, 10:27:52 AM »
The Pineapple Thief - It Leads To This
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #6933 on: February 09, 2024, 10:30:12 AM »

Buddy, I know you're a fan. I thought this was better than the previous album, but it didn't have my full attention at the time. Definitely moments my ears pricked up though, and I know I'll be coming back to it.

Just putting it on now. I'm literally only familiar with And As We Have Seen The Storm We Have Embraced The Eye, but that's a really fucking high bar to clear. Their first two albums are on streaming now so I'll probably check those out at some point too.

Really digging this!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6934 on: February 09, 2024, 11:25:06 AM »
Kali Malone - All Life Long
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6935 on: February 09, 2024, 12:04:23 PM »

Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She

Great stuff so far. Very electronic and dark, with some noisy guitars here and there.

Never heard of her.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6936 on: February 09, 2024, 12:09:03 PM »
Joel Ross - nublues

Online nick_z

« Reply #6937 on: February 09, 2024, 12:55:58 PM »

Really digging this!

Me too! Really intriguing listen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6938 on: February 09, 2024, 01:34:01 PM »
Joel Ross - nublues
BTW, jazz fans: this is one of the best new jazz albums I've heard in a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6939 on: February 09, 2024, 01:37:33 PM »
Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6940 on: February 09, 2024, 01:52:22 PM »

Yeah this probably won't top their last album for me (not like I was expecting it to), but this is still really great. I see some people on RYM are disappointed it's not as heavy, which I kind of understand, but it's not that much of a departure - the awesome riffs and old-school lead guitars are still here in full force and that's all I wanted, really. I suppose it has a bit more variety than their last album too, though the clean, spacey stuff isn't as interesting as the heavy-metal-meets-death-metal-meets-rock-n-roll stuff to me. The title track's also giving me some Pale Folklore era Agalloch vibes, which is always a plus.

But yeah to anyone who's digging this, you owe it to yourself to check out their last album if you haven't heard it already.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:03:09 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online nick_z

« Reply #6941 on: February 09, 2024, 02:01:13 PM »

Yeah this probably won't top their last album for me (not like I was expecting it too), but this is still really great. I see some people on RYM are disappointed it's not as heavy, which I kind of understand, but it's not that much of a departure - the awesome riffs and old-school lead guitars are still here in full force and that's all I wanted, really. I suppose it has a bit more variety than their last album too, though the clean, spacey stuff isn't as interesting as the heavy-metal-meets-death-metal-meets-rock-n-roll stuff to me. The title track's also giving me some Pale Folklore era Agalloch vibes, which is always a plus.

But yeah to anyone who's digging this, you owe it to yourself to check out their last album if you haven't heard it already.

I will definitely check it out.

So, apparently these guys were full-blown death metal in the beginning? Meaning, in the albums before And As We Have Seen...? Hard to fathom, but it makes me curious to check those out too  :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6942 on: February 09, 2024, 02:03:31 PM »
The concept of death metal + rock and roll intrigues me, but I'm probably more used to the Entombed Wolverine Blues version of it.  I might have to at least sample a track on the latest CoD one to see if it works better this time around though. 

Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She

I'm definitely curious how this goes. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #6943 on: February 09, 2024, 02:06:52 PM »
Field Music - Plumb

Online nick_z

« Reply #6944 on: February 09, 2024, 02:22:13 PM »
The concept of death metal + rock and roll intrigues me, but I'm probably more used to the Entombed Wolverine Blues version of it.  I might have to at least sample a track on the latest CoD one to see if it works better this time around though. 

Yep, VERY different kind of combo on this album. The "rock and roll" part of the equation is much lighter in sound, and there's a ton of nice, melodic guitar leads. And there's basically no death metal (on the latest - like I said, I don't know the previous one), except for some raspier vocals (think more like Tribulation). But it's an intriguing sound, for sure.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6945 on: February 09, 2024, 02:53:16 PM »

Yep, VERY different kind of combo on this album. The "rock and roll" part of the equation is much lighter in sound, and there's a ton of nice, melodic guitar leads. And there's basically no death metal (on the latest - like I said, I don't know the previous one), except for some raspier vocals (think more like Tribulation). But it's an intriguing sound, for sure.

Just relistening to the previous Chapel of Disease album before giving the new one another shot. It definitely has some death metal vocals but reminds me more of Kvelertak than Wolverine Blues era Entombed (but with more extreme vocals). I'll report back again after hitting the new album again.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6946 on: February 09, 2024, 03:01:59 PM »
Yeah, maybe it wasn't clear, but I don't think they were trying to go for a Wolverine Blues sound at all, which might be why I only liked it mildly. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6947 on: February 09, 2024, 03:11:21 PM »

Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She

Great stuff so far. Very electronic and dark, with some noisy guitars here and there.
Jamming it again, yeah it's fantastic. Love the mix of her dark sound with elements of Industrial and Trip Hop. Between this and the new Beth Gibbons record (when it drops), this is gonna be a great year for music. Oh and NIls Frahm will release a new piano album, hell yeah.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6948 on: February 09, 2024, 03:14:29 PM »
Yeah, maybe it wasn't clear, but I don't think they were trying to go for a Wolverine Blues sound at all, which might be why I only liked it mildly.

No, I got it. I was just saying with my limited knowledge of death n roll, it was more Kvelertak for me. I like that they really jam out quite a lot of their instrumental sections on this previous album as well.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6949 on: February 09, 2024, 03:16:17 PM »
Jamming it again, yeah it's fantastic. Love the mix of her dark sound with elements of Industrial and Trip Hop. Between this and the new Beth Gibbons record (when it drops), this is gonna be a great year for music. Oh and NIls Frahm will release a new piano album, hell yeah.

People are comparing SROt... to Third, so it's probably time to revisit that one again as well.

No, I got it. I was just saying with my limited knowledge of death n roll, it was more Kvelertak for me. I like that they really jam out quite a lot of their instrumental sections on this previous album as well.

I quite frequently like genre combinations, sometimes even unexpected ones, but for some reason Mark Knopfler joining Death wasn't exactly what I wanted. 

Online nick_z

« Reply #6950 on: February 09, 2024, 03:23:05 PM »

People are comparing SROt... to Third, so it's probably time to revisit that one again as well.

I can totally see that comparison in some songs. Certainly not a bad idea to revisit Third, regardless. It might well be my favorite Portishead.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6951 on: February 09, 2024, 04:42:32 PM »
Today at work..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6952 on: February 09, 2024, 04:46:40 PM »
Killers.  :metal

Never really looked into Ted Nugent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6953 on: February 09, 2024, 04:48:47 PM »

Really good, but a complete Mgla rip off band.

Now this;

This absolutely fucking rips!!  :metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #6954 on: February 09, 2024, 05:20:40 PM »
2024 today...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6955 on: February 09, 2024, 05:29:10 PM »
Never really looked into Ted Nugent.

You're not missing anything. His live stuf from the 70's and early 80's is pretty good though.

This absolutely fucking rips!!  :metal

Indeed!

2024 today...

What do you have here Nick? I'm going to try to do some quick 2024 hits tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #6956 on: February 09, 2024, 05:49:45 PM »
LTE 3 - just because I’m imagining DT in the studio right now.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6957 on: February 09, 2024, 05:53:03 PM »
2024 today...

What do you have here Nick? I'm going to try to do some quick 2024 hits tonight.

The first is Chelsea Wolfe...great album, but probably not one you'd enjoy (not that I want to assume anything but, you know  :biggrin:). Second is Chapel of Disease...we discussed it today on this thread. Quite tasty. You might like it...the vocals are very Tribulation-like, the music is quite interesting...nice guitar solos, and overall a sound that's both dynamic and "relaxed", if that makes any sense. I'd check it out. Sgaile - you already gave it a listen, I think. Scottish band (guy)...a bit too long, but epic stuff with very compelling melodies. The last is Hulder, one-woman black metal...I checked it out after reading good reviews, but honestly it left me pretty cold.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6958 on: February 09, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »
One woman black metal. :lol
I'm good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6959 on: February 09, 2024, 06:31:53 PM »
I'm good.

:lol  Yep, cross that one off the list for sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6960 on: February 09, 2024, 06:32:36 PM »
I'm good.

:lol  Yep, cross that one off the list for sure.

:lol

Awesome gif!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6961 on: February 09, 2024, 06:35:56 PM »
Haha, it is.  Kermit!  :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #6962 on: February 09, 2024, 06:36:39 PM »

Circuital - My Morning Jacket

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6963 on: February 09, 2024, 06:37:59 PM »
Second is Chapel of Disease...we discussed it today on this thread. Quite tasty. You might like it...the vocals are very Tribulation-like, the music is quite interesting...nice guitar solos, and overall a sound that's both dynamic and "relaxed", if that makes any sense. I'd check it out. Sgaile - you already gave it a listen, I think. Scottish band (guy)...a bit too long, but epic stuff with very compelling melodies.

I didn't remember the Sgaile. I had to check my list. Yeah, its interesting, but not for very long. :lol

The CoD, yeah, I can see the Tribulation reference. It's ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6964 on: February 09, 2024, 06:43:13 PM »
Second is Chapel of Disease...we discussed it today on this thread. Quite tasty. You might like it...the vocals are very Tribulation-like, the music is quite interesting...nice guitar solos, and overall a sound that's both dynamic and "relaxed", if that makes any sense. I'd check it out. Sgaile - you already gave it a listen, I think. Scottish band (guy)...a bit too long, but epic stuff with very compelling melodies.

I didn't remember the Sgaile. I had to check my list. Yeah, its interesting, but not for very long. :lol

The CoD, yeah, I can see the Tribulation reference. It's ok.

Somehow I'm not convinced to check it out.  :lol