Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186794 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #6860 on: February 06, 2024, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6861 on: February 06, 2024, 07:44:24 PM »
Solid set there, though I don't know Ricochet.

Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point

Not at the heights they were at in the 80s, but quite good, particularly "Break the Man". 

Loreena McKennitt - The Book of Secrets

This is becoming a favorite over the past year.  I mostly overlooked her work for far too long. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #6862 on: February 06, 2024, 07:47:52 PM »

Not at the heights they were at in the 80s, but quite good, particularly "Break the Man". 

It’s funny because on one hand I find it a bit derivative of their earlier stuff, and musically it’s pretty simplicitic, yet the songs just hit the right spot for me. It’s had a really high replay value.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6863 on: February 06, 2024, 07:50:15 PM »
Phantasma - Deviant Hearts.

I need to give this one another listen sometime, I recall not getting as much out of it as I wanted to.

Same for me at first then I revisited it and it clicked in a big way.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6864 on: February 06, 2024, 07:56:35 PM »

It’s funny because on one hand I find it a bit derivative of their earlier stuff, and musically it’s pretty simplicitic, yet the songs just hit the right spot for me. It’s had a really high replay value.

They can really nail the "simple on the surface, but actually far more complex than you think it is" vibe.  One of my all-time favorite songs, "Everybody Wants To Rule the World", is a quintessential example.  I found the original stems for it awhile ago and would spend hours muting and soloing particular blocks of them, and the amount of detail buried is crazy for that era, though there's modern stuff that's even more bonkers. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #6865 on: February 06, 2024, 08:55:22 PM »

They can really nail the "simple on the surface, but actually far more complex than you think it is" vibe.  One of my all-time favorite songs, "Everybody Wants To Rule the World", is a quintessential example.  I found the original stems for it awhile ago and would spend hours muting and soloing particular blocks of them, and the amount of detail buried is crazy for that era, though there's modern stuff that's even more bonkers.

And I assume that record was all recorded to tape, which means mixing all of those tracks took some real work (and skill).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6866 on: February 06, 2024, 08:57:47 PM »
Today:

Caligula's Horse - Bloom (1st listen but I may have skipped a few songs by accident)
Persefone - Lingua Ignota: Part 1 (second listen)

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6867 on: February 06, 2024, 09:00:02 PM »
Loreena McKennitt - The Book of Secrets

This is becoming a favorite over the past year.  I mostly overlooked her work for far too long.

I have a thing for certain new-age music, mostly Enigma, the first Pure Moods collection and a little Loreena McKennitt.  It's my relaxing, nap-time music.   :)

I'm so addicted to Skellig - her vocals on that song are incredible and I love the mood the song sets with lyrics about monks writing their books on the skellig islands.  The Mummer's Dance is another highlight on that album too. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6868 on: February 07, 2024, 04:48:05 AM »

They are a German prog band…this is from 1996, one of the many albums in that wave following DT’s success. I am somewhat fond of it, although it’s nothing that will knock your socks off ;) it’s all very melodic, and there isn’t much heft in the production even in the “heavier” parts. But there are some good songs and melodies.

I thought this was the only thing they ever did, but I’m seeing there was a follow up, and then a new one last year (!)

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6869 on: February 07, 2024, 08:47:04 AM »
Miles Davis - Decoy
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6870 on: February 07, 2024, 09:08:06 AM »
Jamiroquai - Synkronized
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6871 on: February 07, 2024, 12:05:32 PM »
Arooj Aftab, Vijay Iyer, and Shahzad Ismaily - Love In Exile
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6872 on: February 07, 2024, 12:51:55 PM »
House of Waters - On Becoming

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6873 on: February 07, 2024, 12:57:13 PM »
Oingo Boingo - Good For Your Soul
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6874 on: February 07, 2024, 01:38:33 PM »
Brandy Clark - Brandy Clark

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6875 on: February 07, 2024, 01:41:21 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6876 on: February 07, 2024, 02:27:33 PM »
Molly Burch - Please Be Mine

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6877 on: February 07, 2024, 03:00:46 PM »

What's this?  Looks interesting.

The (as of now) last full-length album from The Foreshadowing, a gothic/doom metal band from Italy. Pretty talented bunch, the music is not something that blows you away, but there’s some real well-orchestrated gloomy atmosphere in here. All clean vocals, and the singer is quite good too, if you like the style. Not the over-the-top baritone voice that you normally hear in the genre. More like a refined version of the cleans from Stanne (Dark Tranquillity).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6878 on: February 07, 2024, 03:10:49 PM »

The (as of now) last full-length album from The Foreshadowing, a gothic/doom metal band from Italy. Pretty talented bunch, the music is not something that blows you away, but there’s some real well-orchestrated gloomy atmosphere in here. All clean vocals, and the singer is quite good too, if you like the style. Not the over-the-top baritone voice that you normally hear in the genre. More like a refined version of the cleans from Stanne (Dark Tranquillity).

Gee Nick...checking this out. It sounds pretty nice, but it's way too mid tempo. These songs need some giddy up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6879 on: February 07, 2024, 03:18:47 PM »

Gee Nick...checking this out. It sounds pretty nice, but it's way too mid tempo. These songs need some giddy up.

Can’t say I disagree ;) although I probably enjoy it more than you do.

But yeah, their music could use some more dynamics…

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6880 on: February 07, 2024, 04:03:46 PM »

It's doom, not power metal.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6881 on: February 07, 2024, 04:06:29 PM »
Van Halen- Diver Down

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6882 on: February 07, 2024, 04:26:51 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6883 on: February 07, 2024, 04:28:30 PM »

I'll check it out after the Accept but yeah that sounds like classic doom territory but doom is one of those things where it could be slow as fuck but something about it makes it just amazing and magical, yet there's other times the same kind of tempo just makes you fall asleep.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6884 on: February 07, 2024, 05:05:29 PM »
Kiss- Rock and Roll Over

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6885 on: February 07, 2024, 05:41:26 PM »

I'll check it out after the Accept but yeah that sounds like classic doom territory but doom is one of those things where it could be slow as fuck but something about it makes it just amazing and magical, yet there's other times the same kind of tempo just makes you fall asleep.

Man, this is dreary.  The vocals don't help either, they are so fucking boring.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6886 on: February 07, 2024, 05:42:50 PM »

Man, that Kvaen album ("The Funeral Pyre") is so much fun...the base is melodic black metal, but there's a very "classic" approach, with so many great riffs, melodies and guitar leads. First half of the album tends to be a bit faster, then the tempo slows down a bit (relatively speaking). The Wolves Throne has some tasty solos too.

And Audrey Horne too, always enjoy them. Here on their debut they were a bit less focused and hadn't quite developed their unique sound, which would truly emerge in Le Fol and the self-titled (and which would further change down the road to a more classic rock/metal approach). But there are already traces of their quirkiness. Maybe a little long, but it's a super-enjoyable ride.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6887 on: February 07, 2024, 05:43:27 PM »

Safe to say, not a hit with Tim and Kade  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6888 on: February 07, 2024, 05:46:20 PM »

Needed some growls I reckon!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6889 on: February 07, 2024, 07:19:34 PM »

The vocals are arguably the best part.  :lol

Well, I guess we have us and Evermind.   :D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6890 on: February 07, 2024, 07:22:55 PM »
I thought it was fine, but it just needed a bit more pace.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #6891 on: February 07, 2024, 07:27:31 PM »
Brand X - Moroccan Roll

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6892 on: February 07, 2024, 07:32:32 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6893 on: February 07, 2024, 07:32:58 PM »

Offline Bluefish