What album are you listening to v.8

Started by XJDenton, December 21, 2022, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WilliamMunny

The new album from The Smile is soooooo good it's literally breaking my brain.

hefdaddy42

Drivin N Cryin - Live the Love Beautiful
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

cramx3

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TheHoveringSojourn808

Neil Young - Life

going through the NY disco again for the first time in a while and boy is the 80s a rough period for him

TheHoveringSojourn808

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on January 29, 2024, 12:42:22 PM
Neil Young - Life

going through the NY disco again for the first time in a while and boy is the 80s a rough period for him
I love the guy. Might I suggest Bluenote Café to you then? Great 1980s era live album by him. Might make you enjoy that material.

Ok.

Peter Gabriel: i/o (brilliant as ever)
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

wolfking

wolfking

I didn't even know that Rick Altzi did a solo album.  It's fucking fantastic, perfect melodic rock, how it used to be done.  His voice is perfect for this style, dare I say better than everything else he's done.

LithoJazzoSphere

New In Flames is desperately reaching for that old Clayman sound, but can't get there. 

wolfking

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on January 29, 2024, 04:54:54 PM
New In Flames is desperately reaching for that old Clayman sound, but can't get there.

I like it lot more than I did when it came out.  I thought it was bullshit and really, it's aged really well but the whole 'old In Flames is back' is a fucking crock.  it's new In Flames but better.  I can look past my expectations and quite enjoy it now. 

That listen to Clayman also made me stand up a lot more.  Again, I never really understood the love but holy shit it took on a whole new life on this listen.  Quality, start to finish.

LithoJazzoSphere

Yeah, though for me their peak is Colony.  Similar sound, but I like the songs even more. 

TAC

Never got into In Flames for some reason.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

I worry their best stuff has the sort of guitar tuning and tone you don't like. 

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on January 29, 2024, 02:50:09 PM

That's a solid deep MF cut!

I'm really not all that familiar with the later albums. They've just never stuck. Kind Diamond is an obstacle.  :lol
I'm going to try and run through them if I can.

For 9, the music and riffs are  :metal
The vocals are bearable, but holy shit, this has the stupidest fucking lyrics I've ever heard.

wolfking

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on January 29, 2024, 05:10:04 PM
Yeah, though for me their peak is Colony.  Similar sound, but I like the songs even more.

Jester Race for me, by far.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on January 29, 2024, 05:12:51 PM

I've sent you Moonshield before in a roulette which did pretty well.  I feel The Jester Race is probably the one you'd like the most truthfully.  It has more of that black metal style you'd dig over all their later stuff I think.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on January 29, 2024, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: wolfking on January 29, 2024, 02:50:09 PM

That's a solid deep MF cut!

I'm really not all that familiar with the later albums. They've just never stuck. Kind Diamond is an obstacle.  :lol
I'm going to try and run through them if I can.

For 9, the music and riffs are  :metal
The vocals are bearable, but holy shit, this has the stupidest fucking lyrics I've ever heard.

The Church of Saint Anne?!  :lol  Very clever King!

9 is probably the weakest of the later ones I think.  I haven't listened to it for so long though, I might dig it out.

In the Shadows is the best of the bunch IMO.  Into the Unknown is solid too.  Dead Again was a bit hit and miss but the title track is a real trip.  Time was one I never really got into either.

LithoJazzoSphere

Quote from: wolfking on January 29, 2024, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: TAC on January 29, 2024, 05:12:51 PM

I've sent you Moonshield before in a roulette which did pretty well.  I feel The Jester Race is probably the one you'd like the most truthfully.  It has more of that black metal style you'd dig over all their later stuff I think.

Lunar Strain I think is the closest they were to black metal to my ears.  A lot of commonality in the more melodic and folkier bands in both the death and black scenes of the time. 

Quote from: wolfking on January 29, 2024, 05:28:11 PM

It's superb as well, but Gelotte just doesn't give the rhythmic heft that Svensson did, and I prefer the chunkier guitar tones on Colony and Clayman

wolfking

It was my first exposure to IN Flames and one of my first albums with harsh vocals, so I'm probably a bit biased there.

Actually, Nick made me listen to Subterranean also a little while back, that's fucking fantastic.

LithoJazzoSphere

Yeah, totally understandable. 

And it certainly is.  "Stand Ablaze" is one of their best. 

nick_z

Quote from: wolfking on January 29, 2024, 05:28:11 PM

Yep, no doubt. I know we discussed this before but for me, throw in the Subterranean EP too, and you have close to perfection.

Love Whoracle too...then Colony a bit of a step down for me but still great. Clayman another little step down, but also very good. Reroute to Remain hasn't aged fantastically well, but I enjoy it well enough and it's a fun album overall. Then things start getting shaky. It's not just the change in style...I've tried many times and failed to connect with the material. Even Come Clarity, which gets a good amount of praise, I rarely revisit.

As for the latest one - I agree that there isn't much of a return of old In Flames, except for a few riffs and a couple of acoustic breaks. I do however find it to be ok. Overall more enjoyable songwriting.

Tim:I'm surprised you don't like Jester Race at least. I'd think it'd be right up your alley. The guitar riffs and melodies are as good as it gets.

TAC

I do like Jester race. I don't know it well enough to discuss it, and In Flames is in general a hole in my experience.

nick_z

Quote from: TAC on January 29, 2024, 05:41:08 PM
I do like Jester race. I don't know it well enough to discuss it, and In Flames is in general a hole in my experience.

:tup Got it

Well, if I'm honest, by now there's a much larger chunk of their discography I don't care for vs. the albums I like, so...

But the Subterranean EP Kade is mentioning above is definitely one to check out if you haven't already. And Whoracle too - not too different from Jester, although not as good.

Then, like Litho said, the stuff immediately following has guitar tones/tunings you probably don't enjoy as much...

NoseofNicko

Just listened to the new Saxon album for the first time. I was impressed. Such a fun listen.

Zydar

TAC

Quote from: NoseofNicko on January 30, 2024, 01:29:53 AM
Just listened to the new Saxon album for the first time. I was impressed. Such a fun listen.

:metal

hefdaddy42

Salvatore Bonafede, Eddie Gomez, and Billy Hart - Don't Stop Believing

twosuitsluke

This is about as close to Native Construct's critically acclaimed album, Quiet World, as I've ever heard...

Rototypical - Volume I: The Tactician

Basically check it out if you liked that album. 

Also, the weigh in on the In Flames discussion. Come Clarity was my introduction to the band, but Clayman will always be the pinnacle of their career as far as I'm concerned.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Grappler

Rush - Test for Echo
Rush - Vapor Trails
Rush - Clockwork Angels

Sabaton - The Art of War

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys 1
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys 2
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy

Gamma Ray - 30 Years Live Anniversary

hefdaddy42

Gabriel Guerrero & Quantum - Equilibrio

twosuitsluke

Had the urge to play this at volume, as I realised it's turning 20 this year (fuck I'm old)...

Edit: Fuck! That bit at 1:25 of Megalodon  :hefdaddy
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.