Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186131 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #6265 on: January 11, 2024, 12:11:20 PM »
I feel like I need to rehear Catch Thirtythree again, since it's been eons since I've heard it, but I can just never bring myself to want to do it, because I just remember it feeling monotonous and embodying everything people who dislike djent say the style is.  DRI and Chaosphere are kind of interesting in being like a more abstract version of what Fear Factory had been doing, but most of their work since then has tended to leave me cold.  Obzen was probably the most interesting release of the past couple decades.  Otherwise I just prefer most other bands who took their ideas and developed them more melodically and texturally.

I generally prefer bands that are influenced by them just like you. But sometimes I just like the uncompromising, relentless and brutal approach Meshuggah has.
Can´t wait to see them live for the first this March.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6266 on: January 11, 2024, 12:26:26 PM »
Currently this dark masterpiece...

I feel like I need to rehear Catch Thirtythree again, since it's been eons since I've heard it, but I can just never bring myself to want to do it, because I just remember it feeling monotonous and embodying everything people who dislike djent say the style is.  DRI and Chaosphere are kind of interesting in being like a more abstract version of what Fear Factory had been doing, but most of their work since then has tended to leave me cold.  Obzen was probably the most interesting release of the past couple decades.  Otherwise I just prefer most other bands who took their ideas and developed them more melodically and texturally.

I generally prefer bands that are influenced by them just like you. But sometimes I just like the uncompromising, relentless and brutal approach Meshuggah has.
Can´t wait to see them live for the first this March.

I agree with points that both of you have made, and I think I'll spin Catch Thirtythree after Triptykon. It's far and away my favourite Meshuggah but I very rarely spin it. They are one band I've never gotten around to seeing live though, so I should try and rectify that.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6267 on: January 11, 2024, 12:47:18 PM »
Currently this dark masterpiece...

:tup

Giger and metal go so well together. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #6268 on: January 11, 2024, 12:50:14 PM »
I'll save that album for later. Never heard it.

Today:
Sermon - Of Golden Verse
Morne - Engraved with Pain

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6269 on: January 11, 2024, 12:54:58 PM »
Morne - Engraved with Pain

So damn good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6270 on: January 11, 2024, 12:59:48 PM »

It's one of Tommy G Warrior's (Celtic Frost) bands.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6271 on: January 11, 2024, 01:12:56 PM »

Oh wow, you are in for a treat. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6272 on: January 11, 2024, 02:04:49 PM »
Just finished listening to Catch Thirtythree. For all I say about Meshuggah about being monotonous (and for me, they are), it's ironic that my favourite album by them is this one, as it features many "songs" that are just the same riff repeating over and over. That being said, this is an album that is all about the full experience, and there are very few actual songs, the whole thing flows together and that's how it should be experienced.

It's kind of a hypnotic album, and I think that the main reason I like it. Those sections repeating over and over, whilst Jens barks at you, send you into a bit of a trance. The other thing I like about it is that it has these little musical 'breathers', in which the intensity let's up for a bit, like at the end of In Death - Is Death and Sum.

I might come back to it in a few days actually.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6273 on: January 11, 2024, 02:29:46 PM »
Ulysses OwensJr. Big Band - Soul Conversations
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6274 on: January 11, 2024, 02:38:28 PM »
It's a Jr. Big Band? That's like Jumbo Shrimp.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6275 on: January 11, 2024, 02:38:32 PM »
Just finished listening to Catch Thirtythree. For all I say about Meshuggah about being monotonous (and for me, they are), it's ironic that my favourite album by them is this one, as it features many "songs" that are just the same riff repeating over and over.

The explanation used to be things like, like "no, actually they aren't the same, they might sound similar, but this one is in 17/32, and that's one's in 19/32."  Still sounds the same to me. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6276 on: January 11, 2024, 02:44:45 PM »
Just finished listening to Catch Thirtythree. For all I say about Meshuggah about being monotonous (and for me, they are), it's ironic that my favourite album by them is this one, as it features many "songs" that are just the same riff repeating over and over.

The explanation used to be things like, like "no, actually they aren't the same, they might sound similar, but this one is in 17/32, and that's one's in 19/32."  Still sounds the same to me. 

Well, if it sounds the same to you, it's DEFINITELY going to sound the same to me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6277 on: January 11, 2024, 08:46:52 PM »
Night Ranger- Greatest Hits

Loverboy- Super Hits

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6278 on: January 12, 2024, 06:49:17 AM »
Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6279 on: January 12, 2024, 09:24:58 AM »
Twisted Sister- Stay Hungry

Autograph- Sign In Please

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6280 on: January 12, 2024, 12:57:05 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6281 on: January 12, 2024, 01:01:05 PM »

Helga is a 2023 release, only found out about it at the VERY end of it, and it was probably the most listened-to album of the last week of the year  ;) From Sweden, the band name is from the singer. Think maybe a more "rock" Sylvaine, at times driven by guitars, at times more folky/ethereal. The ending of Burden is not terribly far from, say, The Cranberries.  Only a couple of spots with black-ish vocals. To be honest, it's almost like she wanted to do a "token" thing with those...it's really maybe 1 minute total over a couple of songs - Farval is the one tune that overall has more of an extreme metal influence. The ending of Sum en Trumma is the other one. The album is VERY good, imo. The usual suspects (yes, Litho, I'm looking at you  :biggrin: ) might enjoy this one.

Just finished this.  It was enjoyable throughout, with some tracks standing out more than others, but wow did it end strong with the last two tracks, especially the title track.  The Rate Your Music primary genre tag for this is so unhelpful.  I think "post-metal" has become one of the biggest "we don't know where else to put it" tags, because this is nothing like Isis, Neurosis and such. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6282 on: January 12, 2024, 02:12:12 PM »
Getting a bit ahead of myself with the Enslaved albums as we've got a few to go before we get to this one in the discography thread, but spinning this beast...

Online nick_z

« Reply #6283 on: January 12, 2024, 05:31:10 PM »

A power metal masterpiece, and my favorite Blind Guardian album.

Helga is a 2023 release, only found out about it at the VERY end of it, and it was probably the most listened-to album of the last week of the year  ;) From Sweden, the band name is from the singer. Think maybe a more "rock" Sylvaine, at times driven by guitars, at times more folky/ethereal. The ending of Burden is not terribly far from, say, The Cranberries.  Only a couple of spots with black-ish vocals. To be honest, it's almost like she wanted to do a "token" thing with those...it's really maybe 1 minute total over a couple of songs - Farval is the one tune that overall has more of an extreme metal influence. The ending of Sum en Trumma is the other one. The album is VERY good, imo. The usual suspects (yes, Litho, I'm looking at you  :biggrin: ) might enjoy this one.

Just finished this.  It was enjoyable throughout, with some tracks standing out more than others, but wow did it end strong with the last two tracks, especially the title track.  The Rate Your Music primary genre tag for this is so unhelpful.  I think "post-metal" has become one of the biggest "we don't know where else to put it" tags, because this is nothing like Isis, Neurosis and such. 

Yeah, I agree..."post-metal", at least the way it's normally used as a genre, makes zero sense here. Also agreed on the last two tracks being particularly good. I enjoy the second song, Burden, a ton too. Really like the album. As I said above, I don't even think they really "need" the more extreme bits...not that there are many, anyway.

Getting a bit ahead of myself with the Enslaved albums as we've got a few to go before we get to this one in the discography thread, but spinning this beast...

It sure is a beast! Which reminds me...the Enslaved stuff...I need to get on it 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6284 on: January 12, 2024, 05:46:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree..."post-metal", at least the way it's normally used as a genre, makes zero sense here. Also agreed on the last two tracks being particularly good. I enjoy the second song, Burden, a ton too. Really like the album. As I said above, I don't even think they really "need" the more extreme bits...not that there are many, anyway.

I had a second runthrough of the album and also watched a few of the music videos.  At this point I do like some of the more extreme elements when they're present, it gives the album a broader scope.  The comparison I thought of more the second time around particularly due to some of the folkier elements was some of Myrkur's material, and maybe The Keening.   

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6285 on: January 12, 2024, 06:33:20 PM »
Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6286 on: January 13, 2024, 01:57:53 AM »
Spinning the vinyl copy I got for Christmas :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6287 on: January 13, 2024, 07:22:33 AM »
Steven Feifke - The Role of the Rhythm Section
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6288 on: January 13, 2024, 07:26:23 AM »

Can't go wrong with that! Man, this album always takes me back. My first Metallica was the Black Album, but this is where I went next. Blackened is basically as close as it gets to a perfect opener.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6289 on: January 13, 2024, 07:35:34 AM »

Can't go wrong with that! Man, this album always takes me back. My first Metallica was the Black Album, but this is where I went next. Blackened is basically as close as it gets to a perfect opener.

Couldn't agree more. As much as I prefer Ride and Master (slightly) over Justice, I prefer Blackened to Fight Fire with Fire and Battery.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6290 on: January 13, 2024, 08:35:50 AM »
Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6291 on: January 13, 2024, 09:31:40 AM »
Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
I really like Seven Devils on that album, and like 2 other songs. The rest of her discography I've tried and no luck.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6292 on: January 13, 2024, 09:34:12 AM »

Couldn't agree more. As much as I prefer Ride and Master (slightly) over Justice, I prefer Blackened to Fight Fire with Fire and Battery.

Yep, it's Master, Ride and Justice in that order for me, as albums...as for the openers, I will never be able to decide between Battery and Blackened. Fight Fire with Fire (which I like too, to be clear) is a step below for me, but those two...just thrash perfection.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6293 on: January 13, 2024, 10:20:15 AM »

Wow, I also got a vinyl of this for Christmas! I got a record player along with it, too (I've gotten a few vinyl records before this one, but they were just used as wall art more than anything since I already had those albums on CD). I tried it out and was surprised to hear that music sounds a little different on vinyl compared to CD, but the sound quality is amazing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6294 on: January 13, 2024, 10:32:04 AM »
Modern vinyls are good, and you can't compress sound nearly as much as on a CD, so it tends to sounds "better", but it's just more dynamic range - loud sections sound louder, quiet sections are quieter, etc. That's why I tend to opt for vinyl versions of records I love, despite being an inferior format to CD purely in terms of sound fidelity.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6295 on: January 13, 2024, 11:17:42 AM »
Folly Group - Down There!

^^ new Post Punk from the Windmill scene (black midi, Black Country, New Road, Squid, etc)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6296 on: January 13, 2024, 12:20:17 PM »

The Faceless.

I mostly burned out on tech death awhile ago, but I just popped this back in and wow is it even better than I remembered.  I wish the cleaner guitar passages were a bit longer and more frequent though. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6297 on: January 13, 2024, 01:15:30 PM »

The Faceless.

I mostly burned out on tech death awhile ago, but I just popped this back in and wow is it even better than I remembered.  I wish the cleaner guitar passages were a bit longer and more frequent though.

Autotheism is the only one I really love, the others never really wow'd me like that one did.

Here are my other listens for today...

Pulp - Different Class
Der Weg einer Freiheit - Agonie
The Sword - Age of Winters
Boris - Akuma No Uta
Haken - Restoration
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6298 on: January 13, 2024, 01:33:57 PM »
Great Boris album

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6299 on: January 13, 2024, 02:00:53 PM »
Great Boris album

First time listening to it, and it really was cool. Definitely gonna come back to it soon.