Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186702 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #6230 on: January 09, 2024, 08:04:13 PM »
I've made a note on Heavy Pettin.  I know you've mentioned them, just never got around to checking them out.  Lots to like in there too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6231 on: January 09, 2024, 08:07:13 PM »
I've made a note on Heavy Pettin.  I know you've mentioned them, just never got around to checking them out.  Lots to like in there too.

So, that Heavy Pettin' album came out in 1983. I'd say it sits squarely between High n Dry and Pyromania. It's a real gem. I bought it way back then when it came out.

Their follow up, Rock Ain't Dead is awful though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6232 on: January 09, 2024, 08:09:33 PM »

So, that Heavy Pettin' album came out in 1983. I'd say it sits squarely between High n Dry and Pyromania. It's a real gem. I bought it way back then when it came out.

Their follow up, Rock Ain't Dead is awful though.

How ironic.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6233 on: January 09, 2024, 08:33:35 PM »

Lemm - Arkhē - Simply gorgeous music, I continue to be fascinated by this album when I listen to it and when I'm just thinking about it. I've given this album a decent amount of listens over the past couple years but I am in need of listening to this much more frequently.
Devin Townsend - Terria - This album feels like a successor to Ocean Machine, which is great because I love Ocean Machine and I didn't care for the two albums in-between being all loud and chaotic with not much else happening from what I remember. With Terria, there's a good variety of sounds, and even on my first listen there's some memorable stuff here. The highlights for me were Earth Day and Deep Peace, the latter I suspect I will fall in love with at some point in the future.
Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree - It's so heavy and aggressive and... honestly kind of boring. I've enjoyed a few Meshuggah songs but this album/song did nothing for me. It felt like the same couple of riffs over and over again. The only interesting parts were the quiet clean guitar sections, but that's really only because it was something different from the monotony of the heavy stuff. By the halfway point I'd mostly tuned this one out. Maybe I should try a different album, this one just didn't interest me in any meaningful way.
Riverside - Out of Myself - This was another album I couldn't stay focused on, but there were more interesting parts here even if it wasn't as captivating as other Riverside albums like Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition.

Not to stray too far from the topic of the thread, but I've had trouble staying focused when doing full listens of albums lately. It's always been a problem but feels especially noticeable lately. I want to give the music my full attention but just wind up getting distracted by my own thoughts. If anyone has any advice or insight on this, I would appreciate it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6234 on: January 09, 2024, 09:33:09 PM »
My ADHD doesn't help tbh, so I mostly listen to stuff on the background while doing something that doesn't require much mental thought, like cleaning or washing dishes.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #6235 on: January 09, 2024, 09:40:14 PM »
The La's - Self Titled.  Too bad it was their only studio album.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6236 on: January 09, 2024, 09:45:29 PM »
Lemm - Arkhē - Simply gorgeous music, I continue to be fascinated by this album when I listen to it and when I'm just thinking about it. I've given this album a decent amount of listens over the past couple years but I am in need of listening to this much more frequently.
Devin Townsend - Terria - This album feels like a successor to Ocean Machine, which is great because I love Ocean Machine and I didn't care for the two albums in-between being all loud and chaotic with not much else happening from what I remember. With Terria, there's a good variety of sounds, and even on my first listen there's some memorable stuff here. The highlights for me were Earth Day and Deep Peace, the latter I suspect I will fall in love with at some point in the future.
Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree - It's so heavy and aggressive and... honestly kind of boring. I've enjoyed a few Meshuggah songs but this album/song did nothing for me. It felt like the same couple of riffs over and over again. The only interesting parts were the quiet clean guitar sections, but that's really only because it was something different from the monotony of the heavy stuff. By the halfway point I'd mostly tuned this one out. Maybe I should try a different album, this one just didn't interest me in any meaningful way.
Riverside - Out of Myself - This was another album I couldn't stay focused on, but there were more interesting parts here even if it wasn't as captivating as other Riverside albums like Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition.

Not to stray too far from the topic of the thread, but I've had trouble staying focused when doing full listens of albums lately. It's always been a problem but feels especially noticeable lately. I want to give the music my full attention but just wind up getting distracted by my own thoughts. If anyone has any advice or insight on this, I would appreciate it.

Earth Day and Deep Peace are definitely early favorites from Terria for most people! It's not quite as immediate but Canada is another really fantastic song.

All Meshuggah albums are pretty monotonous tbh, but that album especially so because it's all basically the same tempo and it doesn't really have any distinct songs to latch onto. Maybe give Chaosphere or obZen a try - those are a bit more varied and have some of the band's best songs.

As for focusing on albums, it's easiest for me when I'm taking a walk or on public transportation, because there's not much else to focus on other than the music, but it's still doing something. If I'm just sitting down listening to music and doing literally nothing else, it's actually easier for me to get distracted.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6237 on: January 09, 2024, 09:52:49 PM »

Nice selection dude. Terria is easily a top 5 Devin for me, and I too (like many others) love Earth Day and Deep Peace.

When it comes to Meshuggah I'm kinda with you. I have to be in the right mood, and even then one album can feel like too much. There are elements I enjoy buy the monotony can become kinda boring. Catch Thirtythree was the first album by the band I heard, and I remember picking it up second hand in my local record store for about £3 nearly 20 years ago. Fuck.

Lastly, Riverside. Out of Myself is actually my favourite album by the band. I vividly remember it clicking when my wife and I stayed in this funky tree house accommodation, back when we first got together. She'd gone to bed and I was still up, with my headphones on and a nice glass of red, it just washed over me and I fell in love.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6238 on: January 09, 2024, 11:00:46 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6239 on: January 09, 2024, 11:02:50 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6240 on: January 09, 2024, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6241 on: January 09, 2024, 11:04:30 PM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6242 on: January 10, 2024, 10:50:57 AM »

Chad, I know you said this was like Nuclear Power Trio but honestly they are so much better! This is just epic as fuck in so many ways. If I was familiar with the games this would probably be a top 10 of the year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6243 on: January 10, 2024, 11:05:59 AM »
Ben Levin - The Light Is On You Return
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6244 on: January 10, 2024, 12:01:33 PM »
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - UFO Tofu
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6245 on: January 10, 2024, 01:27:05 PM »
Eric Truffaz - Clap!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6246 on: January 10, 2024, 02:23:43 PM »
Eric Truffaz - Rollin'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6247 on: January 10, 2024, 02:36:31 PM »

Chad, I know you said this was like Nuclear Power Trio but honestly they are so much better! This is just epic as fuck in so many ways. If I was familiar with the games this would probably be a top 10 of the year.

:tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6248 on: January 10, 2024, 02:52:44 PM »

It is almost 18 years to the day since I first heard this!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6249 on: January 10, 2024, 03:07:04 PM »
My ADHD doesn't help tbh, so I mostly listen to stuff on the background while doing something that doesn't require much mental thought, like cleaning or washing dishes.
As for focusing on albums, it's easiest for me when I'm taking a walk or on public transportation, because there's not much else to focus on other than the music, but it's still doing something. If I'm just sitting down listening to music and doing literally nothing else, it's actually easier for me to get distracted.

Thank you both! I am noticing that I focus a little better if I'm doing something else as opposed to doing nothing else, so going forward I will keep doing that.

Earth Day and Deep Peace are definitely early favorites from Terria for most people! It's not quite as immediate but Canada is another really fantastic song.

All Meshuggah albums are pretty monotonous tbh, but that album especially so because it's all basically the same tempo and it doesn't really have any distinct songs to latch onto. Maybe give Chaosphere or obZen a try - those are a bit more varied and have some of the band's best songs.

I also remember enjoying Canada on my first listen, as well as the last three songs (Nobody's Here, Tiny Tears, Stagnant).

I will keep that in mind about Meshuggah. I was also considering listening to obZen as I liked the song Blood, so maybe I'll have better luck with that one.

Lastly, Riverside. Out of Myself is actually my favourite album by the band. I vividly remember it clicking when my wife and I stayed in this funky tree house accommodation, back when we first got together. She'd gone to bed and I was still up, with my headphones on and a nice glass of red, it just washed over me and I fell in love.

I'll have to return to Out of Myself sooner than later, then! I've noticed our tastes line up pretty well, so if I already like Riverside then there's probably something on Out of Myself that will click with me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6250 on: January 10, 2024, 03:12:58 PM »
I feel like I need to rehear Catch Thirtythree again, since it's been eons since I've heard it, but I can just never bring myself to want to do it, because I just remember it feeling monotonous and embodying everything people who dislike djent say the style is.  DRI and Chaosphere are kind of interesting in being like a more abstract version of what Fear Factory had been doing, but most of their work since then has tended to leave me cold.  Obzen was probably the most interesting release of the past couple decades.  Otherwise I just prefer most other bands who took their ideas and developed them more melodically and texturally. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6251 on: January 10, 2024, 03:24:23 PM »
The last two tracks of Catch ThirtyThree are pretty great though - there's not many other times when the band sound as grand and apocalyptic as they do there. Though Behind The Sun and Demiurge off of Koloss have a similar vibe.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online nick_z

« Reply #6252 on: January 10, 2024, 03:27:34 PM »
For me, Destroy Erase Improve is truly where it's at. I know the Meshuggah sound we now know wasn't fully formed yet, but for me that's part of why I like it so much. They still had some thrashy influence in there, and took it to new "mechanical"/technical heights. Future Breed Machine is such a monster of a song.

Chaosphere is such an absurd album, it's almost funny. I remember being a bit disappointed at the time because it wasn't quite what I wanted after DEI, but I've learned to appreciate it in time.

I still enjoy some "modern" Meshuggah from time to time, but more recently they've lost me a bit.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6253 on: January 10, 2024, 06:36:26 PM »
Morcheeba - The Antidote

Online nick_z

« Reply #6254 on: January 10, 2024, 07:47:09 PM »

This Genus Ordini Dei album really is quite good. Strong Gojira influence as the main skeleton, tasteful symphonic flourishes and great melodies. The aggressive vocals are very effective too.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6255 on: January 10, 2024, 08:45:28 PM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6256 on: January 11, 2024, 02:31:00 AM »

This couldn't be any more  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6257 on: January 11, 2024, 05:34:12 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6258 on: January 11, 2024, 06:25:30 AM »
Coney Hatch- Best of Three

Rush- Moving Pictures

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6259 on: January 11, 2024, 06:37:46 AM »
Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Brooklyn Babylon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6260 on: January 11, 2024, 07:09:57 AM »
Culprite - Deliverance

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6261 on: January 11, 2024, 09:28:39 AM »

I love this record.  Chainsaw Charlie is  :metal

Also:

Savage Messiah - Demons
Arch Enemy - Deceivers
Accept - Too Mean to Die

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6262 on: January 11, 2024, 09:51:45 AM »

This couldn't be any more  :metal

Still their best album. Also, pretty much exactly how I like my metal guitars and drums to sound in a mix!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6263 on: January 11, 2024, 10:52:12 AM »
Kenny Barron - The Source

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6264 on: January 11, 2024, 12:00:44 PM »
Charles Lloyd - Trio of Trios