Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186122 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #5845 on: December 14, 2023, 08:41:47 AM »
Gregory Porter - Christmas Wish
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5846 on: December 14, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »
New Mick Mars... Its pretty good, better than Motley for sure IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhdroC-PM0&pp=ygUdbWljayBtYXJzIHJpZ2h0IHNpZGUgb2Ygd3Jvbmc%3D
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5847 on: December 14, 2023, 09:26:43 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onhdroC-PM0&pp=ygUdbWljayBtYXJzIHJpZ2h0IHNpZGUgb2Ygd3Jvbmc%3D

Yeah, I wasn't sold at first on the singer, but I'm beginning to warm to him.

I think my issue with Mars is that I was expecting a blue-rock album, and instead, I've gotten some modern-sounding edgy hard-rock.

That all said, regardless of my expectations, the man can clearly still play, and I think I dig what I've heard.

Oh, and that tone... :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5848 on: December 14, 2023, 09:27:12 AM »
Steve Morse - Major Impacts
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5849 on: December 14, 2023, 11:36:05 AM »
Local Natives - Violet Street

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5850 on: December 14, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't sold at first on the singer, but I'm beginning to warm to him.

I think my issue with Mars is that I was expecting a blue-rock album, and instead, I've gotten some modern-sounding edgy hard-rock.

That all said, regardless of my expectations, the man can clearly still play, and I think I dig what I've heard.

Oh, and that tone... :hefdaddy

Glad you enjoyed it Will...  I liked it also
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5851 on: December 14, 2023, 12:23:14 PM »
Chris Farren - Can't Die

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5852 on: December 14, 2023, 01:11:17 PM »
Girl Ray - Girl

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5853 on: December 14, 2023, 02:03:18 PM »
Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5854 on: December 14, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »
Today at work..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5855 on: December 14, 2023, 05:18:50 PM »

Yeah.....I'm really liking this.

Finding myself spinning this again this morning.

And I'm spinning it again this morning.  Wonderful album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5856 on: December 14, 2023, 05:19:51 PM »
I haven't listened to Divine Wings in so long.  Should get a couple of those old SX CD's out.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5857 on: December 14, 2023, 05:21:21 PM »
Today at work..

Nice batch! The Divine Wings, perhaps uncontroversially, is my favorite Symphony X album. Are you a fan of the band? Can't quite remember.

Here are my listens on today's commute:

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5858 on: December 14, 2023, 05:22:25 PM »
I haven't listened to Divine Wings in so long.  Should get a couple of those old SX CD's out.

Damnation Game, Divine Wings, Twilight and V are such an incredible run.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5859 on: December 14, 2023, 05:26:43 PM »

Yeah.....I'm really liking this.

Finding myself spinning this again this morning.

And I'm spinning it again this morning.  Wonderful album.

Yes, it's great album. A couple of softies towards the end, but whatever. All of their albums are great.

Nice batch! The Divine Wings, perhaps uncontroversially, is my favorite Symphony X album. Are you a fan of the band? Can't quite remember.

I'm not really a fan per se. I don't often listen to Sym x, but when I do, it's Divine Wings. lol
I really don't connect with Russell Allen, especially latter day Russ. On Divine Wings, he's amazing. Reminds me of how good and versatile Jeff Scott Soto was on Marching Out but somehow turned into a one dimensional singer. I feel the same about Russ. Plus early Sym X is a nice listen and I prefer it over the low tuned razorblade riffs of their last few albums.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5860 on: December 14, 2023, 05:39:21 PM »
There are a heap of Edguy nods in this album which certainly works for me on the power metal side.  Liar, Fool and Messiah could easily be ripped from any Tobi album.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5861 on: December 14, 2023, 05:41:51 PM »

I'm not really a fan per se. I don't often listen to Sym x, but when I do, it's Divine Wings. lol
I really don't connect with Russell Allen, especially latter day Russ. On Divine Wings, he's amazing. Reminds me of how good and versatile Jeff Scott Soto was on Marching Out but somehow turned into a one dimensional singer. I feel the same about Russ. Plus early Sym X is a nice listen and I prefer it over the low tuned razorblade riffs of their last few albums.

I agree with most of this, although I do still enjoy latter day Allen (but yes, earlier-day Allen was more in tune with my taste as well). Sym X latest (last?) album, Underworld, is very, very good though. My personal favorite of the post-V material.

My favorite Sym X song might however be Edge of Forever (from The Damnation Game)...I assume you are familiar...if not, do yourself a favor and go listen  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5862 on: December 14, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »

I agree with most of this, although I do still enjoy latter day Allen (but yes, earlier-day Allen was more in tune with my taste as well). Sym X latest (last?) album, Underworld, is very, very good though. My personal favorite of the post-V material.

My favorite Sym X song might however be Edge of Forever (from The Damnation Game)...I assume you are familiar...if not, do yourself a favor and go listen  ;)

I have every S-X CD I think. I don't know. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something that doesn't compel me like they should. Even though I have everything by them pretty much, I'm not so familiar that I can hum a tune by name. I'm planning on playing something else by them tomorrow at work.

There are a heap of Edguy nods in this album which certainly works for me on the power metal side.  Liar, Fool and Messiah could easily be ripped from any Tobi album.

I feel like if I could build the perfect band, Theocracy would be it. It's a perfect mixture or power, thrash, and melodic, along with amazing soaring vocals. And I don't mind the positive, even Christian lyrics.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5863 on: December 14, 2023, 06:10:34 PM »
I'm planning on playing something else by them tomorrow at work.

Go one step back and do The Damnation Game. I don't see it mentioned often, as it's not quite as polished as subsequent material, but there's some great stuff on it. Some songs are very Malmsteen's Rising Force, but the good kind  ;) (the initial one-two of the title track and Dressed to Kill, for example). And, like I said before, The Edge of Forever is one of the best things they've done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5864 on: December 14, 2023, 06:14:21 PM »
I'm planning on playing something else by them tomorrow at work.

Go one step back and do The Damnation Game. I don't see it mentioned often, as it's not quite as polished as subsequent material, but there's some great stuff on it. Some songs are very Malmsteen's Rising Force, but the good kind  ;) (the initial one-two of the title track and Dressed to Kill, for example). And, like I said before, The Edge of Forever is one of the best things they've done.

Yeah, DWOT and TDG are the ones that I typically play once every three years..lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5865 on: December 14, 2023, 06:57:46 PM »

I feel like if I could build the perfect band, Theocracy would be it. It's a perfect mixture or power, thrash, and melodic, along with amazing soaring vocals. And I don't mind the positive, even Christian lyrics.

I forgot that they were a Christian band.  I haven't taken any notice of the lyrics so not really an issue for me.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5866 on: December 14, 2023, 08:27:31 PM »
Sepultura - Arise
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Sepultura - Roots
Sepultura - Against
Sepultura - Dante XXI
Sepultura - Quadra
Sepultura - Live in Sao Paolo
Sepultura - SepulQuarta

Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma

Soulfly - Enslaved
Soulfly - Ritual
Soulfly - Totem

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #5867 on: December 15, 2023, 06:19:40 AM »
One last 2023 release that was too good not to purchase.  Anyone who loved/loves Nuclear Power Trio will love this.

I hit this last night. Not bad. Reminded me of a proggier TSO.

Yea this was pretty dope. It hits the spot as it's also video game music :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5868 on: December 15, 2023, 06:26:48 AM »
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Mojo

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #5869 on: December 15, 2023, 06:44:46 AM »
Anyone else getting on this new Children of Bodom live album today? This is one (possibly actually the last?) of the bands final performances. I adore this band but it is obviously bittersweet due to Alexi's untimely passing. I'll raise a beer to this though...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5870 on: December 15, 2023, 07:47:00 AM »
Ambrose Akinmusire - Owl Song

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5871 on: December 15, 2023, 10:13:55 AM »
Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra - Big Band Holidays III

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #5872 on: December 15, 2023, 10:34:45 AM »
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #5873 on: December 15, 2023, 10:40:16 AM »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #5874 on: December 15, 2023, 03:11:47 PM »
Therion - Leviathan I, II and III

It seems Rate Your Music doesn’t allow posting cover arts anymore. :-\

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #5875 on: December 15, 2023, 05:31:09 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5876 on: December 15, 2023, 07:58:38 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5877 on: December 15, 2023, 08:01:06 PM »
Anyone else getting on this new Children of Bodom live album today? This is one (possibly actually the last?) of the bands final performances. I adore this band but it is obviously bittersweet due to Alexi's untimely passing. I'll raise a beer to this though...

i just listened to it.  Great listening as always.  A bit sloppy but that's uncommon for COB live but for the most part it was pretty good and Alexi sounds solid.  Nice setlist too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5878 on: December 15, 2023, 08:04:06 PM »
I listened to the first few tracks. It sounds awesome. I really don't know the songs, and the vocals are still rough, but these live vocals are more digestible than the studio albums. Because of the vocals, I don't think I could get through the entire thing in one go, but I enjoyed what I heard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5879 on: December 15, 2023, 08:39:30 PM »
I listened to the first few tracks. It sounds awesome. I really don't know the songs, and the vocals are still rough, but these live vocals are more digestible than the studio albums. Because of the vocals, I don't think I could get through the entire thing in one go, but I enjoyed what I heard.

Alexi really had a 'no fucks given' approach to his vocals.  They were one of the very first (if not the first) band I discovered with growls that I took to, so I'm probably biased there but he was just such an interesting individual.  Even coming up with lyrics in the process of recording backs up that 'no fucks given' approach.

If you liked the first few songs, there's more classic stuff as you go along so well worth listening to the full thing when you have time.