Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186546 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #3780 on: August 31, 2023, 11:40:14 AM »
, i wonder if dream theater can sue ???

dream theater might not have grounds to sue based on just wondering. for a successful lawsuit, they'd need to prove some form of infringement or violation of their intellectual property rights. simply wondering about something doesn't usually lead to a lawsuit. it's essential to have concrete evidence of wrongdoing. so, while it's interesting to think about, legal actions typically require more substance.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3781 on: August 31, 2023, 12:14:58 PM »
Today at work...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3782 on: August 31, 2023, 12:52:37 PM »

Not as evocative as Woe but still pretty good.

Also, Steven Wilson should sue for Talvatis. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3783 on: August 31, 2023, 01:54:21 PM »

shocked they can get away with such blatant plagiarism, i wonder if dream theater can sue ???

shinedown - planet zero

hip hip hip hooray hooray
yeah the world is a stage
where you can act out loud and rattle the cage
and remove any doubt that you're enraged
like a fool i guess, at the end of the day
you might be woke but not awake
:metal

Both albums were released in 1999, assuming you're referring to SFaM. LV was released in June of 99 and Scenes was released in October. Just coincidence.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 02:05:51 PM by Glasser »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3784 on: August 31, 2023, 05:13:13 PM »

So gorgeous and amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3785 on: August 31, 2023, 06:13:47 PM »

So gorgeous and amazing!

I'll have to check it out!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3786 on: August 31, 2023, 06:49:48 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3787 on: September 01, 2023, 08:46:24 AM »
Soen - Memorial
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3788 on: September 01, 2023, 09:49:07 AM »
Royal Blood - Back To The Water Below
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3789 on: September 01, 2023, 10:35:35 AM »
Soen - Memorial

Same. I wasn’t too into their last two, I personally thought they were a huge step down from Lykaia. This one sounds more to my liking so far though  :metal Fortress and Hollowed (Elisa) are already better than anything on the last two albums as far as I’m concerned.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:41:07 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3790 on: September 01, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »
Michael Bilcher, Dan Hemmer, and Steve Gadd - It Will Be Alright

Soen - Memorial

Same. I wasn’t too into their last two, I personally thought they were a huge step down from Lykaia. This one sounds more to my liking so far though  :metal
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3791 on: September 01, 2023, 10:45:38 AM »
Soen - Memorial

Same. I wasn’t too into their last two, I personally thought they were a huge step down from Lykaia. This one sounds more to my liking so far though  :metal

Listened to this one too. Different opinions here  ;) I loved Lotus and Imperial. And one listen in, Memorial seems to confirm the worries I had - the band is a bit stuck in basically one mode. Imperial was quite "streamlined" already, and at the time I noted certain, um, repetitions in song structures and the like, but I found the hooks to be so strong that it didn't matter (yet).

Memorial actually sounds better to me (I wasn't a huge fan of the production on Imperial), but in many cases the songs, riffs, drum patterns and vocal melodies tend to blur. I reserve to change my opinion, though  :biggrin:

One thing I surely wasn't expecting is the duet with Elisa on Hollowed. She is an Italian singer and she's fantastic - I just didn't think I'd hear her collaborate with Soen. I wonder how that came to be.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3792 on: September 01, 2023, 11:02:55 AM »
Soen - Memorial

Listened to this one too. Different opinions here  ;) I loved Lotus and Imperial. And one listen in, Memorial seems to confirm the worries I had - the band is a bit stuck in basically one mode. Imperial was quite "streamlined" already, and at the time I noted certain, um, repetitions in song structures and the like, but I found the hooks to be so strong that it didn't matter (yet).

Memorial actually sounds better to me (I wasn't a huge fan of the production on Imperial), but in many cases the songs, riffs, drum patterns and vocal melodies tend to blur. I reserve to change my opinion, though  :biggrin:

One thing I surely wasn't expecting is the duet with Elisa on Hollowed. She is an Italian singer and she's fantastic - I just didn't think I'd hear her collaborate with Soen. I wonder how that came to be.

I definitely agree with the band being stuck in a certain sound over the last three releases. Memorial definitely sounds better to my ears though. I think the solos connected more with me emotionally, the hooks were stronger than the last two and the heavier sections were much more appealing.

I’ll go back and listen to the previous two before listening to the latest again, to see if I can better articulate what I liked better (I probably won’t be able to articulate it well though).

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3793 on: September 01, 2023, 11:37:18 AM »

I definitely agree with the band being stuck in a certain sound over the last three releases. Memorial definitely sounds better to my ears though. I think the solos connected more with me emotionally, the hooks were stronger than the last two and the heavier sections were much more appealing.

I’ll go back and listen to the previous two before listening to the latest again, to see if I can better articulate what I liked better (I probably won’t be able to articulate it well though).

I think if I had heard Memorial first, I might feel differently...although I'm not even sure, as I still maintain basically every chorus on Imperial is a winner. Such good melodies, all around. Lotus was kind of the sweet spot between the proggier, more Tool-influenced sound, and the simpler approach of the last couple records. It's not like I expect them to push the envelope with every release...but now it's the third in a row where they keep using these patterns, and the vocal melodies tend to all sound similar.

Like I said, I was noticing these things when Imperial came out...take the songs Deceiver and Dissident (the latter one of my favorites, btw)...how close are those opening riffs/drums? Or Lumerian vs. Opponent (the opener on Lotus). I liked Imperial so much that I gave them a pass, so to speak. But Memorial, no doubt well done and pleasing to the ears, seems to be going down the same road.

I like Soen very much, so I'm sure I'll give this one more chances and enjoy it. I was just hoping a talented bunch like these guys are would surprise me a bit more.

« Reply #3794 on: September 01, 2023, 11:55:22 AM »
the new frankie and the witch fingers absolutely FUCKS
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3795 on: September 01, 2023, 12:03:23 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3796 on: September 01, 2023, 12:05:09 PM »

Oh yea, I gave that a spin earlier, the album art was enough to grab my attention. Good stuff but I’d need a second listen.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3797 on: September 01, 2023, 12:07:06 PM »

Oh yea, I gave that a spin earlier, the album art was enough to grab my attention. Good stuff but I’d need a second listen.

:marriageanalogy:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3798 on: September 01, 2023, 01:08:28 PM »

New album by Empire State Bastard, featuring Simon Neil (Biffy Clyro), Mike Vennart (Oceansize, Vennart) and Dave Lombardo (Slayer). Neil and Vennart are by no means old, but this was way more frenetic than I was expecting from them. There is melody and clean vocals in here, but there is also a lot of aggression. I preferred the more intense side of their sound and will come back to it in a few days. I’d never have imagined Lombardo in a band with these guys, but apparently they just asked him thinking he’d turn them down, but here we are.

« Reply #3799 on: September 01, 2023, 01:08:49 PM »

:marriageanalogy:

i've got it on again  :angel:
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3800 on: September 01, 2023, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3801 on: September 01, 2023, 04:09:31 PM »

New album by Empire State Bastard, featuring Simon Neil (Biffy Clyro), Mike Vennart (Oceansize, Vennart) and Dave Lombardo (Slayer). Neil and Vennart are by no means old, but this was way more frenetic than I was expecting from them. There is melody and clean vocals in here, but there is also a lot of aggression. I preferred the more intense side of their sound and will come back to it in a few days. I’d never have imagined Lombardo in a band with these guys, but apparently they just asked him thinking he’d turn them down, but here we are.

This is relevant to my interests. Listening now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3802 on: September 01, 2023, 05:07:14 PM »
Today at work..

Now...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3803 on: September 01, 2023, 05:15:51 PM »
Love that Rainbow album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3804 on: September 01, 2023, 05:20:58 PM »
Love that Rainbow album.

Yup, I remember getting it.

I still maintain that you can hear Tearin' Out My Heart in ITPOE.

Tite Squeeze is awful though.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3805 on: September 01, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »

Triple Kill - Blackened Dawn: Thrashy power? I found it to be a fun listen, will probably revisit.

This is excellent. :tup

Went to sample and got this;

https://youtu.be/ksNGNGqp5nw?si=b53BHdRqHodnJEZE

:lol  Aussie band too!  Not bad at all.

Pretty awesome video  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3806 on: September 01, 2023, 06:05:17 PM »
Love that Rainbow album.

Yup, I remember getting it.

I still maintain that you can hear Tearin' Out My Heart in ITPOE.

Tite Squeeze is awful though.

Saw them on the next tour with Aldo Nova opening.   They still had the eyes on stage.  Big spotlights.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3807 on: September 01, 2023, 08:35:23 PM »

Not as evocative as Woe but still pretty good.

Also, Steven Wilson should sue for Talvatis. :lol
Wow, now that you said that I can't unhear it. It's basically Collapse the Light Into Earth without vocals.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3808 on: September 01, 2023, 08:40:56 PM »
Holy shit, that is literally the exact same chord progression, but down one half step.  :lol

Collapse: Bm - C - G - Dsus - D

Talvatis: Bbm - B - Gb - Dbsus - Db

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3809 on: September 01, 2023, 08:51:43 PM »

This is relevant to my interests. Listening now.

Listening to this now. Huge Biffy fan and Lombardo sealed the deal. Yeah, Simon and Vennart were talking about drummers and their dream was Lombardo. Thankfully, he said yes. Very frenetic album so far. Really liking it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline HOF

« Reply #3810 on: September 01, 2023, 09:19:29 PM »
The Clientele - Suburban Light

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3811 on: September 01, 2023, 09:21:31 PM »
Ween - Quebec

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3812 on: September 02, 2023, 10:07:10 AM »
Twisted Sister- You Can't Stop Rock n Roll

Dokken- Tooth and Nail

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3813 on: September 02, 2023, 11:43:40 AM »
Today at work..

Now...

Bastard Sons kick ass! Just fun, in your face rock n roll!

« Reply #3814 on: September 02, 2023, 12:11:57 PM »
say she she - prism
Welcome to the Forums!