Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186507 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #3220 on: July 26, 2023, 05:13:29 PM »

Litho - do you know the Orphanage album (By Time Alone), by any chance? I'm only asking because it has that mid-90s Dutch "sound" that you seem to appreciate. This came out in 1996 - now, it doesn't really sound like, say, early Within Temptation...yes, there's harsh vocals (not that great), female vocals and some pretty unique choral chants/harmonies from other members of the band...but while the atmosphere gets a bit doom-y at times, there are no gothic overtones, really. It's rhythmically quite interesting (sometimes they do modern Meshuggah-lite, before Meshuggah even did it  ;)) and it was quite ahead of its time. Oh, and I'm seeing that the bass player ended up in the first couple Kingfisher Sky's records - so there's a more specific connection for you!  :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3221 on: July 26, 2023, 05:34:37 PM »
Fireworks  :heart

The new Hanabie, The Future is Here dropped today...really intense and fun metalcore stuff, very well executed.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3222 on: July 26, 2023, 06:03:09 PM »
Litho - do you know the Orphanage album (By Time Alone), by any chance? I'm only asking because it has that mid-90s Dutch "sound" that you seem to appreciate. This came out in 1996 - now, it doesn't really sound like, say, early Within Temptation...yes, there's harsh vocals (not that great), female vocals and some pretty unique choral chants/harmonies from other members of the band...but while the atmosphere gets a bit doom-y at times, there are no gothic overtones, really. It's rhythmically quite interesting (sometimes they do modern Meshuggah-lite, before Meshuggah even did it  ;) ) and it was quite ahead of its time. Oh, and I'm seeing that the bass player ended up in the first couple Kingfisher Sky's records - so there's a more specific connection for you!  :biggrin:

Yeah, I've heard it, though I don't know it particularly well.  I tend to like though not quite fully love a lot of similar stuff of that era.  It's often conceptually quite intriguing but the production is often not there yet, and I like once the influence pool broadens a bit.  Obviously that Draconian album is a much more fully realized version of it. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: July 26, 2023, 06:25:36 PM »
Creed - My Own Prison

Start to finish this a fantastic album

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3224 on: July 26, 2023, 06:42:01 PM »
Fireworks  :heart

:)

Soundscape had brought it up a couple weeks ago in the release milestones thread...

Hadn't revisited it in a long time. I still maintain it's a significant drop off in quality vs. the first two, but I have to say listening to it today brought back lots of good memories. Not all of it is great, but there are some really good songs in there.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3225 on: July 26, 2023, 07:07:29 PM »

Excellent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: July 26, 2023, 07:48:43 PM »
Creed - My Own Prison

Still easily their best IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3227 on: July 26, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »
It might be the best as an album, but I'd say the later ones have some better individual songs. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3228 on: July 26, 2023, 08:01:33 PM »
I can definitely see the dips in quality through the album.  I always though most of his albums had a few filler songs anyway.

Yeah it had been a long time since I've listened to these albums all the way through and I forgot about that. Like this entire run was solid but all of his albums have 2-3 throw away forgettable tracks on them.

I was reminded why I usually just listen to my favorites from them.

What is also clear is just how much of a step down it was from going to Vivian to Goldie.

Not even close, Viv is the guy. I do like Dream Evil though. Killing The Dragon with Doug is excellent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3229 on: July 26, 2023, 08:04:46 PM »
I can definitely see the dips in quality through the album.  I always though most of his albums had a few filler songs anyway.

Yeah it had been a long time since I've listened to these albums all the way through and I forgot about that. Like this entire run was solid but all of his albums have 2-3 throw away forgettable tracks on them.

What is also clear is just how much of a step down it was from going to Vivian to Goldie.

Not even close, Viv is the guy. I do like Dream Evil though. Killing The Dragon with Doug is excellent.

Killing The Dragon is OK, I'll give you that, but my Dio standards were at virtually zero for that. I still don't think it has a lot of character, and Doug Aldrich is about as boring as Craig Goldie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3230 on: July 26, 2023, 08:08:06 PM »
All Viv albums are leaps above anything that came after, no argument there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: July 26, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »

Killing The Dragon is OK, I'll give you that, but my Dio standards were at virtually zero for that. I still don't think it has a lot of character, and Doug Aldrich is about as boring as Craig Goldie.

I hope Brent doesn't see this.  ;D

Doug represented all the old stuff really well.  I kind of agree though.  For me, he's a stock standard hard rock guitarist but can definitely let rip and is still enjoyable to listen to.  His work Killing the Dragon I did think was quite good and I agree with Tom on that album.

Who am I though, I thought Magica was quite excellent too.  Can't remember much on the guitar work though.

I'll put a controversial opinion out there too and say that I for one LOVE what Tracy G did with the solos live during his time.  I really liked the Inferno live album.  He completely changes everything and the solos are so self indulgent and off the wall, I dug it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3232 on: July 27, 2023, 01:22:52 AM »
Viv's solos are so freaking tasty but I do enjoy what Craig, Rowen, and Tracy G did I just think Doug has been badass since the Lion and Hurricane days and was the best replacement. But that's just me.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3233 on: July 27, 2023, 03:11:29 AM »
Well, Nachtmerrie’s post the other day has inspired me to run through the King Gizzard albums I recommended to him…

I’m In Your Mind Fuzz
Nonagon Infinity
Polygonwanaland
Murder of the Universe
Paper Mache Dream Balloon
Butterfly 3000
Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava

You can’t deny the quality of their album art. Jason Galea  :hefdaddy

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3234 on: July 27, 2023, 05:01:29 AM »
That’s a lot of of King Gizzard in one sitting  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3235 on: July 27, 2023, 05:18:18 AM »
That’s a lot of of King Gizzard in one sitting  :lol

Nah, the first 6 average at about 40 minutes per album, and Ice, Death is the only one over an hour. Bite size Gizz.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3236 on: July 27, 2023, 08:26:24 AM »
Being Dead - When Horses Would Run

Creed - My Own Prison

Still easily their best IMO.
Not for me.  But it's really good, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3237 on: July 27, 2023, 09:29:39 AM »
Alaska Reid - Disenchanter
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #3238 on: July 27, 2023, 12:24:58 PM »
Well, Nachtmerrie’s post the other day has inspired me to run through the King Gizzard albums I recommended to him…

I’m In Your Mind Fuzz
Nonagon Infinity
Polygonwanaland
Murder of the Universe
Paper Mache Dream Balloon
Butterfly 3000
Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava

You can’t deny the quality of their album art. Jason Galea  :hefdaddy

Going to give those a few spins over the coming days. Thanks mate!

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #3239 on: July 27, 2023, 12:30:02 PM »
Today:

Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence
Cellar Darling - The Spell
King Gizzard - Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3240 on: July 27, 2023, 12:35:16 PM »
Colter Wall - Little Songs

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3241 on: July 27, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #3242 on: July 27, 2023, 12:46:41 PM »
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3243 on: July 27, 2023, 01:39:36 PM »

I love Cellar Darling, but of course find KGLW a bit bewildering.  But given that you seem to have more similar tastes to me than most here, you might have to be the brave soul to churn through their discography and figure out which songs of theirs aren't vomit-inducing.  :)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: July 27, 2023, 01:46:00 PM »

Hot take but this is a bottom tier Dire Straits album, it's a fantastic record but almost all their other releases top it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3245 on: July 27, 2023, 01:47:54 PM »

but of course find KGLW a bit bewildering.  But given that you seem to have more similar tastes to me than most here, you might have to be the brave soul to churn through their discography and figure out which songs of theirs aren't vomit-inducing.  :)

I mean, did you even listen to the playlist I made?

Offline HOF

« Reply #3246 on: July 27, 2023, 01:49:13 PM »

Hot take but this is a bottom tier Dire Straits album, it's a fantastic record but almost all their other releases top it.

It’s only the second one I’ve heard, and I’m just listening to it for the first time today. But I am quite enjoying it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3247 on: July 27, 2023, 02:54:28 PM »
Palehound - Eye On The Bat

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3248 on: July 27, 2023, 03:00:01 PM »

but of course find KGLW a bit bewildering.  But given that you seem to have more similar tastes to me than most here, you might have to be the brave soul to churn through their discography and figure out which songs of theirs aren't vomit-inducing.  :)

The 8-hour long one?  :p  In all honesty I will probably at least listen to the first hour or two sometime after my roulette ends.  They have enough variety and volume that I imagine something is bound to at least hit somewhat.  I have listened to some of the other songs you've sent in other rounds though and they didn't really connect either, though at least they were cyborg-free.  ;)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3249 on: July 27, 2023, 03:03:00 PM »

The 8-hour long one?  :p  In all honesty I will probably at least listen to the first hour or two sometime after my roulette ends.  They have enough variety and volume that I imagine something is bound to at least hit somewhat.  I have listened to some of the other songs you've sent in other rounds though and they didn't really connect either, though at least they were cyborg-free.  ;)

Yes, the 8 hour one! You will go from bewilderment to enlightenment. I refuse to submit an EP to you until you’ve listened.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3250 on: July 27, 2023, 03:14:22 PM »
The Who - Tommy

Also for the first time. I got a big Discogs dump of cheap CDs today (7 for $22 including shipping!).

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3251 on: July 27, 2023, 03:27:50 PM »
The Who - Tommy

Also for the first time. I got a big Discogs dump of cheap CDs today (7 for $22 including shipping!).

What did you get, if I may ask? :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3252 on: July 27, 2023, 03:31:00 PM »
Lindstrom - Everyone Else is a Stranger

Offline HOF

« Reply #3253 on: July 27, 2023, 03:38:23 PM »
The Who - Tommy

What did you get, if I may ask? :)

The aforementioned Tommy and Brothers in Arms, and:

Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy
Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Sting - Nothing Like The Sun
Tony Banks - Still
U2 - Best of 1990-2000 & B-Sides (a double, so technically 8 CDs!)

Mostly a grab bag to round out some collections, but I figured Tommy and Brothers in Arms were notable albums I should own.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3254 on: July 27, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
Good stuff!

Makes me want to do a little shopping on Discogs myself ;)