Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186101 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #3080 on: July 14, 2023, 06:07:38 PM »
Here's one I committed to my Spotify library.

Blackbraid-Blackbraid II

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #3081 on: July 14, 2023, 06:14:02 PM »

The Night Eternal - Fatale

Came out today, it's the second full-length from this German band. Think Tribulation with clean vocals, Idle Hands/Unto Others or In Solitude's last album (Sister). They do kinda commit to one mood for the duration of the record, but the whole thing has a dark, catchy metal energy to it that I enjoyed. Fans of the bands above might want to check it out.

Fucking A Nick! I sampled this earlier and planned on hitting more of it tonight. I even thought of you!
That's too funny.

Same here  :biggrin: I guess we know taste overlap and such!

Here's one I committed to my Spotify library.

Blackbraid-Blackbraid II

This one intrigues me, but I haven't checked it out yet

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3082 on: July 14, 2023, 06:21:38 PM »
John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess - An Evening With

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3083 on: July 14, 2023, 07:26:32 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3084 on: July 14, 2023, 07:26:54 PM »

Online nick_z

« Reply #3085 on: July 14, 2023, 08:25:31 PM »
A couple more releases from today:

I've commented on the new Voyager in the relevant thread...just wanted to say that it's growing on me even more. Cool, catchy and quintessentially Voyager.

I checked out the Eleine album based on a couple of good reviews, and I have to say it was a nice surprise. I mean, the easy categorization is female-fronted symphonic metal, but it's way heftier than the genre average. Very nice vocals (plus very limited amount of male vocals from the guitar player, both clean and harsh), musically quite straightforward, but very well produced. Quite heavy in the drumming department too. Also, short and sweet (under 40 minutes).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3086 on: July 15, 2023, 02:06:28 AM »

How good would you expect a band called Instant Boner to sound? Coming soon, to a roulette near you.

Listening now. Stoner prog? Female vocalist. Sound pretty decent but no Instant Boner for me.  :D

I don't even really know how to describe this, but I'm digging it. Wish I'd discovered them before Tim's female vocal round.

Glasser, essentially you are right, it is female fronted stoner prog. There's also a good dose of psychedelia in there as well  :hat

Listening to this album again, and honestly so good!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3087 on: July 15, 2023, 11:20:25 AM »

How good would you expect a band called Instant Boner to sound? Coming soon, to a roulette near you.

Listening now. Stoner prog? Female vocalist. Sound pretty decent but no Instant Boner for me.  :D

I don't even really know how to describe this, but I'm digging it. Wish I'd discovered them before Tim's female vocal round.

Glasser, essentially you are right, it is female fronted stoner prog. There's also a good dose of psychedelia in there as well  :hat

Listening to this album again, and honestly so good!
I missed this back in April. LoL at the band name...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3088 on: July 15, 2023, 12:38:34 PM »

Came out today, it's the second full-length from this German band. Think Tribulation with clean vocals, Idle Hands/Unto Others or In Solitude's last album (Sister). They do kinda commit to one mood for the duration of the record, but the whole thing has a dark, catchy metal energy to it that I enjoyed. Fans of the bands above might want to check it out.

Fucking A Nick! I sampled this earlier and planned on hitting more of it tonight. I even thought of you!
That's too funny.

I played this at work today, so I made it through the whole thing. I don't know...It didn't really deliver on my first impression. I found the singer to be a bit offputting after a while. As much as I liked the Idle Hands debut, that guy's voice would eventually wear on me as well. Musically, it felt tad too slow in places.

This has potential as it was really solid, but I have the same issue with this as I do with the latest Metal Church, which is the singer is just way oversinging. I think I'd rather just listen to Painkiller.

This album is excellent!!

OK, it's more of a grower, but...I don't know. Luke, keep it in your pants. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #3089 on: July 15, 2023, 01:11:42 PM »

That's too funny.

I played this at work today, so I made it through the whole thing. I don't know...It didn't really deliver on my first impression. I found the singer to be a bit offputting after a while. As much as I liked the Idle Hands debut, that guy's voice would eventually wear on me as well. Musically, it felt tad too slow in places.

I actually found the music pleasingly "urgent", but I'm not 100% sold on the singer either. That's sometimes the trouble with this kind of overly "theatrical" (for lack of better term), gothic singing...anything more than small doses, it becomes a bit much. Anyway, I liked the album enough that I will revisit it, but who knows if it'll stick...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: July 15, 2023, 01:30:25 PM »
I agree on the Fifth Angel.  I found it really really good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3091 on: July 15, 2023, 02:24:49 PM »
Kaki King - Everybody Loves You

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3092 on: July 15, 2023, 02:37:37 PM »

OK, it's more of a grower, but...I don't know. Luke, keep it in your pants. :lol

No containing it I’m afraid. It needs to be shared with those who would appreciate it most, which happens to be a bunch of dudes on the internet.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3093 on: July 15, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »

No containing it I’m afraid. It needs to be shared with those who would appreciate it most, which happens to be a bunch of dudes on the internet.

I'm all over this.... Oh wait, not what I meant  :lol

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3094 on: July 15, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3095 on: July 16, 2023, 12:59:19 PM »

Masakatsu Takagi - Kagayaki

Damn, this album is just so... gentle, kind, and full of life. Story goes that the author moved to a small village in the mountains, and after getting involved with the local community, he invited many folks, from kids to old people, to collaborate on this record. It really does feel like the work of a small community, and makes you crave for that. Some tracks are just incredibly beautiful and powerful. I'll definitely revisit this soon.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3096 on: July 16, 2023, 01:33:33 PM »

Damn, this album is just so... gentle, kind, and full of life. Story goes that the author moved to a small village in the mountains, and after getting involved with the local community, he invited many folks, from kids to old people, to collaborate on this record. It really does feel like the work of a small community, and makes you crave for that. Some tracks are just incredibly beautiful and powerful. I'll definitely revisit this soon.

Sounds interesting. I’ve come for evening walk to watch the sunset and was thinking I need something suitable. Firing this up now, could be perfect for it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3097 on: July 16, 2023, 02:19:12 PM »
Kikimora - For A Broken Dime. Nicolo Kotzev”s band. Good stuff

Y&T - ten

Great White - Hooked

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3098 on: July 16, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »

This is great stuff!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: July 16, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »

Sounds interesting. I’ve come for evening walk to watch the sunset and was thinking I need something suitable. Firing this up now, could be perfect for it.
Let me know how it goes! It can get a little strange at times, but it's got a lot of charm

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3100 on: July 16, 2023, 03:01:54 PM »

Let me know how it goes! It can get a little strange at times, but it's got a lot of charm

Yea, it was a bit of a different listen, and long too. It fitted nicely for my walk and then it was still going whilst I came home and did some yoga. Good shit. I’m not sure how often I’d revisit but I think it’s good for a certain mood.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3101 on: July 16, 2023, 03:56:05 PM »

1476 - In Exile

Quite a bit different than what I normally go for, this ended up being intriguing. As the band describe themselves, there's some folk, some punk, some, um, occult-ish rock/metal...all sprinkled with a good dose of melancholy, which hits the right notes. The overarching theme is kinda cool too. The vocals are somewhat of an acquired taste, but they actually work for what they are going for.

Luke - you might enjoy this. Ever heard of them?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3102 on: July 16, 2023, 04:03:13 PM »
There's a really cool instrumental album from earlier this year bay a band called June 1974, and when I saw you post an album by a band with a year in the name, I thought this was it..

I'll check this out too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3103 on: July 16, 2023, 04:06:18 PM »
Nick, that 1476 album sounds cool as shit. I hear a little Michael Monroe in the singer, oddly.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3104 on: July 16, 2023, 04:11:50 PM »
Nick, that 1476 album sounds cool as shit. I hear a little Michael Monroe in the singer, oddly.

Yeah, I can hear that, actually.

I agree it sounds pretty cool...a tad long, maybe (although the last song is great, so it leaves you with a good taste  :))

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3105 on: July 16, 2023, 04:24:52 PM »

1476 - In Exile

Quite a bit different than what I normally go for, this ended up being intriguing. As the band describe themselves, there's some folk, some punk, some, um, occult-ish rock/metal...all sprinkled with a good dose of melancholy, which hits the right notes. The overarching theme is kinda cool too. The vocals are somewhat of an acquired taste, but they actually work for what they are going for.

Luke - you might enjoy this. Ever heard of them?

Nope, never heard of ‘em but I’ve lined them up  :tup  sounds like the sort of mix I could get on board with.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3106 on: July 16, 2023, 06:15:16 PM »

Consider me a new fan of this band.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 06:45:21 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online nick_z

« Reply #3107 on: July 16, 2023, 07:14:18 PM »
Saga is one band I've never explored, for some reason...

Suggestions on where to start?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3108 on: July 16, 2023, 07:14:32 PM »

Consider me a new fan of this band.

I'll consider it. Just give me some time to make sure  ;)... Seriously tho, they are excellent.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 07:30:13 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3109 on: July 16, 2023, 07:21:54 PM »

My favorite.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: July 16, 2023, 07:23:32 PM »

Early 90s Electro-Industrial that goes HARD.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3111 on: July 16, 2023, 07:27:02 PM »

My favorite.

Thanks Glasser  :tup I'll check this out

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3112 on: July 16, 2023, 08:51:22 PM »

Early 90s Electro-Industrial that goes HARD.

It goes so hard it broke the image link.  Checking the URL for it though, I see the album has the Weyland-Yutani logo, which immediately has me interested.  Have to add it to my post-roulette list of things to look into. 

Edit:  Ohhhh, it's :wumpscut:  I haven't heard that one, but some of their others are quite good.  I wonder if that cover has been photoshopped or something then. 

Edit 2:  Looks like there are numerous versions of that cover.  I would think 20th Century Fox would have had issues with that particular one.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 09:15:52 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: July 17, 2023, 09:19:49 AM »
Yeah for some reason fanart.tv links seems to be broken here :lol. Seems that album has had way too many different releases and versions to keep track of. It was pretty good, kinda gets a bit boring towards the end, but the first half is excellent. And speaking of industrial...

I really wanted to like Ministry but these albums leaned heavily on Thrash with some Industrial tendencies, and they got pretty annoying quite fast. The Skinny Puppy was the one I was looking forward to the most, and I just had to drop it halfway through - it's a big, noisy, incomprehensible mess, and not in a good way :lol. The Front Line Assembly is pretty good tho, feels closer to Synthpop a la Depeche Mode, and it's not aggressive at all. Quite pleasing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3114 on: July 17, 2023, 09:21:46 AM »
Skinny Puppy is my kind of noise.