Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186081 times)

Online nick_z

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #2835 on: June 26, 2023, 06:47:47 PM »

Nick, I know I do this a lot, but I literally put this on this morning. I couldn't make it halfway through the first song..

:biggrin:

Ha! That bad, huh?

I've always enjoyed them, since their Pressure & Time album (2011)....and I'm not normally even THAT much into this kind of retro-sounding rock.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2836 on: June 26, 2023, 07:54:02 PM »
Today...

XTC - English Settlement

XTC - Apple Venus Volume 1

I was long overdue for some XTC until the last few days.  :hat :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2837 on: June 27, 2023, 06:42:56 AM »
Joe Deninzon & Stratospheerius - Behind The Curtain (Live at ProgStock)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2838 on: June 27, 2023, 07:40:10 AM »
The one you quoted is Hwaino-Ashes Of The World Tree.
I think it's fantastic. Is melodic black metal a thing? :lol
Indeed it is!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2839 on: June 27, 2023, 07:41:50 AM »

Been enjoying this since it came out. They basically never disappoint. I wouldn't say they break any particularly new ground, or deviate from their blueprint too much across albums, and yet they always deliver. Their music is catchy but has "depth", and it manages to be groovy, atmospheric and emotional. Yes, it's "retro", but it doesn't feel stale.

Any fans here? Thought I remember maybe Stadler is...?
I am. I listened to this the other day and quite enjoyed it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2840 on: June 27, 2023, 07:54:46 AM »

Awesome
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2841 on: June 27, 2023, 07:58:14 AM »
Indeed, a true classic. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2842 on: June 27, 2023, 09:09:38 AM »
Pete Townshend - White City: A Novel
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2843 on: June 27, 2023, 09:21:43 AM »
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Weathervanes

I've been listing to this one a lot since it was released.

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2844 on: June 27, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »

Yep, it's pretty damn solid from top to bottom. My track-by-track thoughts:

“Death Wish” – The definition of a ‘grower,’ this initially made for an underwhelming introduction. Still, the minor-key song has grown on me tremendously, and when heard within the context of the album, it feels like an obvious album opener.

“King of Oklahoma” – Where “Death Wish” revels in somewhat experimental waters, “King of Oklahoma” is vintage Isbell, a mid-tempo slice of Americana that would be right at home on any of his prior releases.

“Strawberry Woman” – A case could be made that Isbell should carve out more space (or perhaps dedicate an entire album) for his low-key, fingerpicked ballads. The man is aces on his instrument, and it’s on tracks like this where his playing (and vocals) really shine.

“Middle Of The Morning” – With lyrical references to the pandemic, Isbell nails that difficult-to-describe mix of boredom and dread that accompanied lockdowns (something that most of us would rather forget). “Middle Of The Morning” is a fine song (and an obvious single), but if I had to cut one from the album, this would probably be the first to go.

“Save The World” – At first glance, this up-tempo number finds Isbell in his comfort zone, but once you zero in on the thought-provoking lyrics, you can’t help but notice the pure emotion blanketing each and every line. The only thing working against this song is the painfully ‘real’ subject matter.

“If You Insist” — Another understated number, this song is a classic example of an excellent mix elevating an already ‘good’ song to great. From the quasi-shuffle rhythm to the judicious use of strings (Shires for the win!) and organ, there’s a lot going on here. Somehow, Isbell’s vocal floats above it all, preserving the potency of yet another fabulous lyric.

“Cast Iron Skillet” – My favorite of the pre-album singles, this is vintage Isbell and features some of the singer’s best lyrical wordplay to date–instant classic.

“When We Were Close” – Presumably a tribute to Justin Towne Earl (who died in 2020), this floor-stomper is in contention for the album’s loudest moment, and fittingly so, given the subject matter.

“Volunteer” – A mid-tempo gem in six/eight that feels like the spiritual successor to “Stockholm,” “Volunteer” features one of the album’s strongest choruses.

“Vestavia Hills” – A massive-sounding ballad that’s drenched in tasteful leads, this track is yet another example of why Weathervanes features Isabell’s best vocal performance to date.

“White Beretta” – A common theme for this album, “White Beretta” is a prime example of Isbell’s ability to offer a vivid, almost voyeuristic glimpse into someone else’s story via a three-minute pop song. 

“This Ain’t It” – A six-minute rocker in the vein of “Anxiety” that features some incredible lead work and some pretty brilliant lyrical sass, “This Ain’t It” has ‘stage-ready-anthem’ written all over it.

“Miles” – A tremendous album-closer that feels like a lost track from Neil Young’s Zuma sessions, “Miles” is an emotionally-charged epic that explores the seemingly inevitable slide that seems to confront all long-term relationships. Tucked away at the end of an hour-long album, this is just the sort of gem that will likely fly under the radar for most casual listeners. For this writer, however, when it comes to the ‘epics’ “Miles” is up there with “Children of Children.”

Online pfillion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2846 on: June 27, 2023, 11:31:09 AM »
Rodney Crowell - Let the Picture Paint Itself

Great album.  One of my favorites of the year so far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2847 on: June 27, 2023, 12:17:48 PM »
The Ocean - Anthropocentric

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2848 on: June 27, 2023, 01:30:51 PM »

Yep, it's pretty damn solid from top to bottom. My track-by-track thoughts:

“Death Wish” – The definition of a ‘grower,’ this initially made for an underwhelming introduction. Still, the minor-key song has grown on me tremendously, and when heard within the context of the album, it feels like an obvious album opener.

“King of Oklahoma” – Where “Death Wish” revels in somewhat experimental waters, “King of Oklahoma” is vintage Isbell, a mid-tempo slice of Americana that would be right at home on any of his prior releases.

“Strawberry Woman” – A case could be made that Isbell should carve out more space (or perhaps dedicate an entire album) for his low-key, fingerpicked ballads. The man is aces on his instrument, and it’s on tracks like this where his playing (and vocals) really shine.

“Middle Of The Morning” – With lyrical references to the pandemic, Isbell nails that difficult-to-describe mix of boredom and dread that accompanied lockdowns (something that most of us would rather forget). “Middle Of The Morning” is a fine song (and an obvious single), but if I had to cut one from the album, this would probably be the first to go.

“Save The World” – At first glance, this up-tempo number finds Isbell in his comfort zone, but once you zero in on the thought-provoking lyrics, you can’t help but notice the pure emotion blanketing each and every line. The only thing working against this song is the painfully ‘real’ subject matter.

“If You Insist” — Another understated number, this song is a classic example of an excellent mix elevating an already ‘good’ song to great. From the quasi-shuffle rhythm to the judicious use of strings (Shires for the win!) and organ, there’s a lot going on here. Somehow, Isbell’s vocal floats above it all, preserving the potency of yet another fabulous lyric.

“Cast Iron Skillet” – My favorite of the pre-album singles, this is vintage Isbell and features some of the singer’s best lyrical wordplay to date–instant classic.

“When We Were Close” – Presumably a tribute to Justin Towne Earl (who died in 2020), this floor-stomper is in contention for the album’s loudest moment, and fittingly so, given the subject matter.

“Volunteer” – A mid-tempo gem in six/eight that feels like the spiritual successor to “Stockholm,” “Volunteer” features one of the album’s strongest choruses.

“Vestavia Hills” – A massive-sounding ballad that’s drenched in tasteful leads, this track is yet another example of why Weathervanes features Isabell’s best vocal performance to date.

“White Beretta” – A common theme for this album, “White Beretta” is a prime example of Isbell’s ability to offer a vivid, almost voyeuristic glimpse into someone else’s story via a three-minute pop song.

“This Ain’t It” – A six-minute rocker in the vein of “Anxiety” that features some incredible lead work and some pretty brilliant lyrical sass, “This Ain’t It” has ‘stage-ready-anthem’ written all over it.

“Miles” – A tremendous album-closer that feels like a lost track from Neil Young’s Zuma sessions, “Miles” is an emotionally-charged epic that explores the seemingly inevitable slide that seems to confront all long-term relationships. Tucked away at the end of an hour-long album, this is just the sort of gem that will likely fly under the radar for most casual listeners. For this writer, however, when it comes to the ‘epics’ “Miles” is up there with “Children of Children.”

I love your appreciation (you too, Hef), and I totally agree with most of your thoughts. For me, the standouts so far are King of Oklahoma, If You Insist, Cast Iron Skillet, When We Were Close, White Beretta, This Ain't It, and Miles. I'm especially fond of If You Insist. Fantastically economical songwriting.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2849 on: June 27, 2023, 02:15:57 PM »
This morning at work, I hit the two leaders in the clubhouse for my AOTY..

I gave this a listen earlier in the year and just finishing up a second spin. Yea, it’s really pretty good and the keys give me real Children of Bodom vibes. CoB had such a unique sound that I don’t think I’ve ever really heard any band get close to what they were doing. This is actually one of the closest things I’ve heard, whilst also sounding like Dimmu Borgir. Good stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2850 on: June 27, 2023, 02:27:28 PM »
Black Violin - Classically Trained

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2851 on: June 27, 2023, 02:29:48 PM »

found an affordable vinyl copy on discogs last week.

I have been meaning to make a video about The Tea Party on YouTube the last few years and was revisiting their catalog, but never finished it. Picking this up on Vinyl may finally get me to do that.

I haven't listened to this album in probably 15 years, although I always liked it, but always focus on how different it is at times from their previous albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2852 on: June 27, 2023, 02:36:13 PM »

I have been meaning to make a video about The Tea Party on YouTube the last few years and was revisiting their catalog, but never finished it. Picking this up on Vinyl may finally get me to do that.

I haven't listened to this album in probably 15 years, although I always liked it, but always focus on how different it is at times from their previous albums.

Gyroscope is my favorite Tea Party song.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2853 on: June 27, 2023, 02:38:29 PM »
That is a fantastic album, and they seem to be slowly slipping from the collective consciousness, so they would certainly be worth a video. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2854 on: June 27, 2023, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2855 on: June 27, 2023, 03:16:51 PM »

Pretty album (especially the first song) but definitely not on the same level as Bath / LYBM.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2856 on: June 27, 2023, 03:22:40 PM »

Pretty album (especially the first song) but definitely not on the same level as Bath / LYBM.

Agreed but still better than most of what I’ve listened to this week.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2857 on: June 27, 2023, 05:19:36 PM »

This album is incredible.  It was my first of theirs so I was actually taken aback when I heard their other work.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2858 on: June 27, 2023, 05:27:18 PM »
I think if Soundscape, Glasser, wolfking and I agree on an album, it's gotta be great.  That's quite a spread of tastes there. 

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2859 on: June 27, 2023, 09:15:42 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: June 27, 2023, 10:40:50 PM »
I think if Soundscape, Glasser, wolfking and I agree on an album, it's gotta be great.  That's quite a spread of tastes there.

Seems legit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2861 on: June 28, 2023, 08:26:43 AM »
Geese - Projector

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2862 on: June 28, 2023, 09:19:19 AM »
eMolecule - The Architecht

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: June 28, 2023, 10:10:29 AM »
Yardbirds - Little Games
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2864 on: June 28, 2023, 10:51:25 AM »

:hat

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2865 on: June 28, 2023, 11:18:43 AM »

Oh how I wish Crumbling Castle wasn't the only good song on this album. :sadpanda:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2866 on: June 28, 2023, 11:47:59 AM »
Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2867 on: June 28, 2023, 12:03:09 PM »

Oh how I wish Crumbling Castle wasn't the only good song on this album. :sadpanda:

You give me the perspiration
You give me the nausea
You make me sick

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2868 on: June 28, 2023, 12:23:45 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2869 on: June 28, 2023, 12:44:48 PM »
Aloud - Fan the Fury