Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186115 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #2765 on: June 22, 2023, 09:09:43 PM »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:26:23 PM by Glasser »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2766 on: June 22, 2023, 09:36:39 PM »
Stigmata for me.  All three albums though are criminally overlooked.

Are they though?  Arch Enemy is generally one of the first half-dozen or so bands brought up when melodeath comes up, and the first three often seem regarded as the best.  I guess it depends on what crowds you're around.  I agree that they're great, but there are dozens and dozens of other bands who don't much attention at all.

I agree they are one of the most successful melodeath band....but didn't they become so after Liiva left and Angela Gossow came on board? It seems to me they became much more of a "phenomenon" (relatively speaking, of course) at that point, while before they were very much a niche band (with "famous" members, sure, but still within the metal scene). My guess is if you ask fans now, they probably don't know much about the first three albums, but I might be wrong...

Maybe my perspective is skewed, but discovering the style in the early 00s, the big names were In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, Soilwork, Carcass, and Arch Enemy.  Maybe throw a couple bands like Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom in there as slightly more distant ones.  Those are still the most common names you see on recommendation lists, with a few newer bands sprinkled in sometimes.  I was probably reading discussions from too many elitists, but it seemed that everyone was blasting Anthems of Rebellion and beyond and talking about how much better they were in the 90s, and if you look at most aggregation sites, those all tend to have lower ratings than the first four albums.  Perhaps we are at the point where we're distant enough from them now that newer fans neglect them, but at least they're still a pretty big name and that will get some people looking into the early albums.  But then there are so many other great bands that didn't even get much attention when they were more current, Satariel, Ebony Tears, Callenish Circle, Nonexist, Torchbearer, etc. 

Online HOF

« Reply #2767 on: June 22, 2023, 10:25:43 PM »

Stumbled upon this on Bandcamp today. Features Jakko Jakskyk, who apparently has a long running association with this artist. If you’re familiar with Jakko’s music it’s sort of in that vein, but it’s really quite beautifully produced. Certainly a candidate for album cover of the year.

https://stefanopanunzi1.bandcamp.com/album/pages-from-the-sea

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2768 on: June 23, 2023, 04:36:05 AM »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2769 on: June 23, 2023, 05:09:00 AM »

I haven’t got round to this yet but wish me luck when I do, it’s over 2 hours! How is it?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2770 on: June 23, 2023, 05:16:53 AM »

I haven’t got round to this yet but wish me luck when I do, it’s over 2 hours! How is it?

I had high expectations (they're in my top5 bands) and was afraid that hoping it would be AOTY would be putting too much pressure on it, but honestly it even topped those thoughts. I would say it's my AOTY so far without a doubt and I'm not even at the 43 minute song yet. :D But damn it's really beautiful. Feels like it summarizes a 40 year career of the band with nods to different eras. If you're a fan of the band overall and not just the last few albums, there's nods to Soundtracks for the Blind, The Great Annihilator and White Light (among others) and it's really great. Overall it's a bit on the softer side but it really captures the beauty that some of their music over the years has shared, also the Michael Gira side project Angels of Light that was active during the Swans hiatus.

Can't wait to listen to it again, and again, and again!  :metal
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 05:32:59 AM by Zantera »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2771 on: June 23, 2023, 06:26:35 AM »
But then there are so many other great bands that didn't even get much attention when they were more current, Satariel, Ebony Tears, Callenish Circle, Nonexist, Torchbearer, etc.

Love Ebony Tears' debut, Tortura Insomniae!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: June 23, 2023, 06:36:05 AM »
Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2773 on: June 23, 2023, 06:43:54 AM »
Dan Tyminski - God Fearing Heathen
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2774 on: June 23, 2023, 07:40:44 AM »
Jason Mraz - Mystical Magical Rhythmical Radical Ride
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2775 on: June 23, 2023, 08:22:34 AM »
Ambrose Akinmusire - Beauty is Enough

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2776 on: June 23, 2023, 09:05:18 AM »
Bobbie Nelson & Amanda Shires - Loving You

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2777 on: June 23, 2023, 09:29:30 AM »
Kurt Rosenwinkel - Undercover (Live at the Village Vanguard)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2778 on: June 23, 2023, 10:42:26 AM »
Stigmata for me.  All three albums though are criminally overlooked.

Are they though?  Arch Enemy is generally one of the first half-dozen or so bands brought up when melodeath comes up, and the first three often seem regarded as the best.  I guess it depends on what crowds you're around.  I agree that they're great, but there are dozens and dozens of other bands who don't much attention at all.

I agree they are one of the most successful melodeath band....but didn't they become so after Liiva left and Angela Gossow came on board? It seems to me they became much more of a "phenomenon" (relatively speaking, of course) at that point, while before they were very much a niche band (with "famous" members, sure, but still within the metal scene). My guess is if you ask fans now, they probably don't know much about the first three albums, but I might be wrong...

Maybe my perspective is skewed, but discovering the style in the early 00s, the big names were In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, Soilwork, Carcass, and Arch Enemy.  Maybe throw a couple bands like Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom in there as slightly more distant ones.  Those are still the most common names you see on recommendation lists, with a few newer bands sprinkled in sometimes.  I was probably reading discussions from too many elitists, but it seemed that everyone was blasting Anthems of Rebellion and beyond and talking about how much better they were in the 90s, and if you look at most aggregation sites, those all tend to have lower ratings than the first four albums.  Perhaps we are at the point where we're distant enough from them now that newer fans neglect them, but at least they're still a pretty big name and that will get some people looking into the early albums.  But then there are so many other great bands that didn't even get much attention when they were more current, Satariel, Ebony Tears, Callenish Circle, Nonexist, Torchbearer, etc.

I think you are right - I had a similar experience to yours. I was just noting how Arch Enemy have basically become a "trendy" band over time (whatever that means), even more so with Alissa White-Gluz. I mean that their target audience is perhaps a bit different than it used to be (I am not really following the band myself, anymore).

Oh, and I'm going to play the elitist card in this case - the first three albums are objectively better than anything released subsequently  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2779 on: June 23, 2023, 10:51:42 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold - Life is But a Dream

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2780 on: June 23, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »
^^

Yeah, they have morphed over time into optimizing for the live larger venue experience, which has its positive and negative qualities.  I think they were more consistent early on, but I consider their highest highs to have come with Angela in the 00s, and I never cared that much for Johan's vocals, but the guitar work was always fantastic, and if anything is truly underrated, it's Peter Wildoer's guest drumming on Stigmata

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2781 on: June 23, 2023, 11:16:10 AM »
The Ocean - Heliocentric

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2782 on: June 23, 2023, 11:17:19 AM »
^^

Yeah, they have morphed over time into optimizing for the live larger venue experience, which has its positive and negative qualities.  I think they were more consistent early on, but I consider their highest highs to have come with Angela in the 00s, and I never cared that much for Johan's vocals, but the guitar work was always fantastic, and if anything is truly underrated, it's Peter Wildoer's guest drumming on Stigmata.

Absolutely yes to Wildoer's drumming on that one! So good. I do, however, really like Daniel Erlandsson's work too (he's really good on the Eucharist records he played on)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2783 on: June 23, 2023, 11:52:03 AM »
Yeah, Eucharist is another band that never got their due, the first two albums were really unique (and unfortunately the one last year seemed really generic from my single listen to it). 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2784 on: June 23, 2023, 01:59:08 PM »

I had high expectations (they're in my top5 bands) and was afraid that hoping it would be AOTY would be putting too much pressure on it, but honestly it even topped those thoughts. I would say it's my AOTY so far without a doubt and I'm not even at the 43 minute song yet. :D But damn it's really beautiful. Feels like it summarizes a 40 year career of the band with nods to different eras. If you're a fan of the band overall and not just the last few albums, there's nods to Soundtracks for the Blind, The Great Annihilator and White Light (among others) and it's really great. Overall it's a bit on the softer side but it really captures the beauty that some of their music over the years has shared, also the Michael Gira side project Angels of Light that was active during the Swans hiatus.

Oh that sounds quite intriguing, wasn't that big on their last few albums, but I'll give it a shot for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2785 on: June 23, 2023, 02:03:57 PM »

Nick, this album caught my eye yesterday. I'm giving it a spin right now. Wow, this is really nice.

Seems they haven't released anything in the last 7 years?

I'm liking this. Very tasty!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2786 on: June 23, 2023, 02:07:00 PM »
This morning at work, I hit the two leaders in the clubhouse for my AOTY..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2787 on: June 23, 2023, 04:50:18 PM »

Nick, this album caught my eye yesterday. I'm giving it a spin right now. Wow, this is really nice.

Rapture are great! This is their third (and last) album. It's probably the catchiest of the three. If you like it, you should give the other two a shot too, though, as they are all very good.

As far as I know, they are no more...however, one of the guitar players teamed up with some other miserable souls from the Finnish scene and formed the band Counting Hours. They put out a great album in 2020 (The Will), quite similar in sound. Highly recommended too.

Out of curiosity, did you end up getting the physical cd for this? Wondering about the packaging...it was supposed to have a nice booklet with the story and all...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2788 on: June 23, 2023, 04:58:49 PM »

Oh that sounds quite intriguing, wasn't that big on their last few albums, but I'll give it a shot for sure.

This was a long listen and one that I can’t see myself sitting through more than once more. I still definitely don’t ‘get’ Swans, though not through lack of trying. At times this felt like Johnny Cash taking on post-rock/drone, in his old age. More power to you guys for enjoying it but it’s not for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2789 on: June 23, 2023, 05:09:09 PM »

Rapture are great! This is their third (and last) album. It's probably the catchiest of the three. If you like it, you should give the other two a shot too, though, as they are all very good.

As far as I know, they are no more...however, one of the guitar players teamed up with some other miserable souls from the Finnish scene and formed the band Counting Hours. They put out a great album in 2020 (The Will), quite similar in sound. Highly recommended too.

Out of curiosity, did you end up getting the physical cd for this? Wondering about the packaging...it was supposed to have a nice booklet with the story and all...

I'll definitely check out Counting Hours! :tup

I did not get the physical copy of Sacred Outcry. It wasn't available on Amazon at first, but it is now, but it's $24 and not Prime. Holding off for now. I'd get it if it was more affordable.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2790 on: June 23, 2023, 05:10:53 PM »

A stone cold classic  :metal
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 05:18:59 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2791 on: June 23, 2023, 05:20:38 PM »

I did not get the physical copy of Sacred Outcry. It wasn't available on Amazon at first, but it is now, but it's $24 and not Prime. Holding off for now. I'd get it if it was more affordable.

Yep, saw that too...

Bandcamp has the CD too, and it comes to be around that much when you include shipping..

The digital-only version does however say "Includes full 24-page booklet in high quality!"...I might pull the trigger on that...
https://sacredoutcry.bandcamp.com/album/towers-of-gold

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2792 on: June 23, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »
Yeah, Eucharist is another band that never got their due, the first two albums were really unique (and unfortunately the one last year seemed really generic from my single listen to it).

Yeah, I was kinda excited about it, and it sure was a letdown. Don't remember anything from it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2793 on: June 23, 2023, 06:13:33 PM »
The new Anchoret album is my favorite of the year so far, and it is set to be released this Friday.

https://theprogspace.com/the-anchoret-premiere-debut-it-all-began-with-loneliness/

https://theanchoretofficial.bandcamp.com/album/it-all-began-with-loneliness

I have to agree with you on this! Extremely well done.

Consider me impressed too! Finishing up my first listen and this is good stuff...very tasteful all around, and not afraid of being riffy from time to time. It's shaping up to be a pretty good year for prog!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2794 on: June 23, 2023, 06:20:46 PM »
even from what i sampled earlier this morning that one seemed pretty neat even tho i'm not wild for the vocals
plan to check it out when i get the chance though  :lol

edit: yeah wow this isn't, like, the freshest sound in the world but it's both just weird enough and just heavy enough to work for me, digging it  :metal
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 02:22:47 AM by Crow »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2795 on: June 24, 2023, 05:45:08 AM »
Duke Ellington - Anatomy of a Murder

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2796 on: June 24, 2023, 09:05:44 AM »
even from what i sampled earlier this morning that one seemed pretty neat even tho i'm not wild for the vocals
plan to check it out when i get the chance though  :lol

edit: yeah wow this isn't, like, the freshest sound in the world but it's both just weird enough and just heavy enough to work for me, digging it  :metal

Yep, agree with this - I'll revisit, for sure...

EDIT: Random observation alert. So, the singer's voice sounded vaguely familiar...I checked and read he (Sylvain Auclair) was one of the vocalists (and bass player) of Heaven's Cry, a Canadian prog metal band with a couple of very tasty records that came out around the turn of the century (their 1997 debut, Food for Thought Substitute, was particularly good and highly recommended)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 01:15:28 PM by nick_z »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: June 24, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »
Rush - Moving Pictures
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2798 on: June 24, 2023, 02:24:26 PM »
So I said after my roulette that I would try and circle back to some of my old roulette submissions.

I followed up on two epics that were sent to me and spun the whole albums.

In my 2nd Roulette, LordCost sent Legacy Of Hate Pt. 3 in my final Epic Round, and basically won the roulette because of it. Still a great song, but the album on the whole is a bit power metal-y which is to say that it was very easy on the ears even though it was fairly standard.

Big Hath sent me Aftermath in my final Epic Round in my very first roulette. This song always intrigued me, and this album turns out to be quite amazing.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2799 on: June 24, 2023, 08:46:47 PM »

Billie Eilish - Guitar Songs

Finally listened to this. Two very good songs.