Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186308 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #2030 on: May 05, 2023, 01:44:57 PM »

Easily one of the best albums in the last 5 years. I love the whole aesthetic and direction the band went. It's everything.

It's a great, great album. And I might like Impera even more - regardless, these guys basically can do no wrong  :) I don't necessarily care too much about the schtick, although I agree that the thought that goes in the aesthetic and the "story" is pretty cool. But my point is that the quality of their songs, and the craft that goes into it, absolutely speaks for itself, even if you took away the whole Ghost "lore".

My favorite album of theirs might be Meliora, but I'm not even sure. They always had a "pop" sensibility in their songwriting (although I should probably say "his" in all of this, since it really is Forge...), but I think since they've embraced it more fully they kinda went next level. It's incredibly good and catchy songwriting, from someone that has a genuine love for classic rock and metal (or so it seems to me)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: May 05, 2023, 02:45:45 PM »
Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2032 on: May 05, 2023, 04:56:52 PM »

Easily one of the best albums in the last 5 years. I love the whole aesthetic and direction the band went. It's everything.

It's a great, great album. And I might like Impera even more - regardless, these guys basically can do no wrong  :) I don't necessarily care too much about the schtick, although I agree that the thought that goes in the aesthetic and the "story" is pretty cool. But my point is that the quality of their songs, and the craft that goes into it, absolutely speaks for itself, even if you took away the whole Ghost "lore".

My favorite album of theirs might be Meliora, but I'm not even sure. They always had a "pop" sensibility in their songwriting (although I should probably say "his" in all of this, since it really is Forge...), but I think since they've embraced it more fully they kinda went next level. It's incredibly good and catchy songwriting, from someone that has a genuine love for classic rock and metal (or so it seems to me)

Pretty much agree with all this Nick. It's definitely my favourite of theirs, followed by Meliora the Impera. I remember first listening to them 10 years ago,  when there was a big hype building round them. I thought they were om back then, but didn't get the hype.

I didn't really listen to them again until Prequelle. Dance Macabre really won me over. It was so poppy and infectious that I had to give them album a shot. I agree that when they really embraced their pop sensibilities was when they kicked it up a notch.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2033 on: May 05, 2023, 09:33:00 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2034 on: May 05, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »

(Neolia - S/T)

cool & chaotic prog metal that dropped today, digging this a lot even if it's a bit scrappy and overlong

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2035 on: May 06, 2023, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2036 on: May 06, 2023, 10:39:36 AM »

One of my all time favorite albums. Finally seeing them in a few weeks, though I know 3/5 of the band is switched out. Still, seeing Jaocim Cans will be a real treat that I am really looking forward to.
Hammerfall's first couple of albums really kicked a lot of the classic bands in the ass and I think helped relaunch the movement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2037 on: May 06, 2023, 10:59:46 AM »

Night Demon's album is probably my favorite "classic"-adjacent album, along with Tanith's latest, so far in 2023. Just a bunch of very, very good songs with a great sense of dynamics. Danava's Nothing But Nothing is a fun old-school romp. Lots of energy and a healthy dose of early Maiden (I'm hearing some old Scorpions too...Let The Good Times Kill, for example)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2038 on: May 06, 2023, 11:03:44 AM »
The Danava sounds really interesting. Thank you. I'm on it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2039 on: May 06, 2023, 11:26:26 AM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: May 06, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »
Ratt- Reach for the Sky

Dokken- Tooth & Nail

Streetheart- Best of

Harlequin- Best of

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2041 on: May 06, 2023, 01:30:41 PM »

One of my all time favorite albums. Finally seeing them in a few weeks, though I know 3/5 of the band is switched out. Still, seeing Jaocim Cans will be a real treat that I am really looking forward to.
Hammerfall's first couple of albums really kicked a lot of the classic bands in the ass and I think helped relaunch the movement.

I'm not actually too familiar with this one. My introduction to Hammerfall was Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken, in 2005 (another example of why I think 2005 was the most important year in my musical journey. I branched out into power metal as well another sub genres). It was a blond buy that came with an inflatable pink guitar! I ended up getting the guitar signed by the guys from Dragonforce, but that's another story.

I picked up another two Hammerfall albums on the 00s, but Legacy of Kings wasn't one of them. It's definitely a good power metal record and I felt it was high time to revisit. I've added a few more of their albums to my current rotation playlist after listening today  :tup

Finally getting around to it? :P

I'd listened to this multiple times prior to you sending them in my roulette, so it's more of a revisit. Definitely a cool band but not sure how often I'll end up coming back to them. Was quite let down by their latest.

Anyway, on to a bit of Dillinger Escape Plan now...

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2042 on: May 06, 2023, 01:35:10 PM »
Yeah, their first album is definitely their best unfortunately.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: May 06, 2023, 04:42:49 PM »

My first power metal band.  The first 3 albums just blew me away, such a sound I'd never heard before.  Nothing they have done touches the first 3 albums.  Crimson Thunder almost but the first 3, so good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: May 06, 2023, 05:31:56 PM »
Metallica - Load

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: May 06, 2023, 06:19:45 PM »

Missed this, but fuck yeah!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2046 on: May 06, 2023, 07:05:19 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2047 on: May 06, 2023, 07:23:05 PM »
Metallica - Load

I love that album as well as Reload. As we speak I'm watching Some Kind Of Monster. I never connected with St. Anger and watching this may help me understand where and why this album happened. I love watching James, Lars, and Kirk so raw and vulnerable, so human..... Ok... Intermission over, back to the movie....  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2048 on: May 06, 2023, 07:31:59 PM »
Metallica - Load

I love that album as well as Reload. As we speak I'm watching Some Kind Of Monster. I never connected with St. Anger and watching this may help me understand where and why this album happened. I love watching James, Lars, and Kirk so raw and vulnerable, so human..... Ok... Intermission over, back to the movie....  :metal

I watched it once and found it extremely cringey and embarrassing for the band. The only decent part was Rob's audition.

The look on Lars' face when Rob says he wants to try Battery.. :lol
And Lars breathing heavy after.."Do you know anything else?"  :lol :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2049 on: May 06, 2023, 07:37:20 PM »
Metallica - Load

I watched it once and found it extremely cringey and embarrassing for the band. The only decent part was Rob's audition.

Wasn't Rob extremely hungover for that audition?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2050 on: May 06, 2023, 07:45:04 PM »
Metallica - Load

Wasn't Rob extremely hungover for that audition?

Oh, I don't know.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2051 on: May 07, 2023, 06:56:15 AM »
Ghost - Prequelle

"Because faith is mine!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: May 07, 2023, 07:16:52 AM »
Metallica - Load

Funny you guys mention Some Kind Of Monster, I was watching it a few days ago, I have to agree it's a bit cringe to watch but still interesting.

As for Load and ReLoad I really like the albums, the band tries something different and it works IMO. I do think they could've trimmed it up and made one great album but isn't as much of a chore to get through like the Use Your Illusion albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2053 on: May 07, 2023, 07:51:16 AM »

Funny you guys mention Some Kind Of Monster, I was watching it a few days ago, I have to agree it's a bit cringe to watch but still interesting.

As for Load and ReLoad I really like the albums, the band tries something different and it works IMO. I do think they could've trimmed it up and made one great album but isn't as much of a chore to get through like the Use Your Illusion albums.

I like the behind-the-scenes stuff for sure, but the psychoanalysis was a bit much.

The Use Your Illusion albums are awesome though. Sure, I have trimmed it to one amazing album as well, but I only get an EP out the Load/Reload material.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: May 07, 2023, 08:16:33 AM »
Out of curiosity what are the songs that you'd have on the EP?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2055 on: May 07, 2023, 08:22:07 AM »

Ain't My Bitch
Wasting My Hate
Bleeding Me
Fuel
The Outlaw Torn

Those are the only songs I really like.

I think on the whole, Load is fine. I don't love it, but I respect it and I would never say that Load blows.
ReLoad on the other hand. Useless.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2056 on: May 07, 2023, 08:29:35 AM »

Ain't My Bitch
Wasting My Hate
Bleeding Me
Fuel
The Outlaw Torn

I think on the whole, Load is fine. I don't love it, but I respect it and I would never say that Load blows.

That's basically the way I feel too. I probably like Load a bit more than you do - I'd easily add The House Jack Built, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing and Hero of the Day to your list (although everything else is a big drop off in quality, imo). But, yes, ReLoad might well be my least favorite Metallica album. I actually revisited it recently and most of it was even worse than I remembered it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2057 on: May 07, 2023, 08:41:04 AM »

Ain't My Bitch
Wasting My Hate
Bleeding Me
Fuel
The Outlaw Torn

That's basically the way I feel too. I probably like Load a bit more than you do - I'd easily add The House Jack Built, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing and Hero of the Day to your list (although everything else is a big drop off in quality, imo). But, yes, ReLoad might well be my least favorite Metallica album. I actually revisited it recently and most of it was even worse than I remembered it.

Yeah, the songs you listed are all good. I'd even add 2x4 to that list. I don't have anything real negative to say about them. Push come to shove, I could probably fill out a proper full length album of the tracks, but there's 75-80 other Metallica tracks I'd go to before the ones you listed.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2058 on: May 07, 2023, 11:32:49 AM »

Ain't My Bitch
Wasting My Hate
Bleeding Me
Fuel
The Outlaw Torn

I thinkAttachments and other options
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=post;quote=2991042;topic=57990.2030# on the whole, Load is fine. I don't love it, but I respect it and I would never say that Load blows.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 12:02:50 PM by Glasser »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2059 on: May 07, 2023, 11:50:27 AM »
 ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2060 on: May 07, 2023, 11:51:29 AM »

Ain't My Bitch
Wasting My Hate
Bleeding Me
Fuel
The Outlaw Torn

No "Prince Charming"?  Shameful, that's probably the best song on either album.  I'm also partial to "The Memory Remains" because it was the second Metallica song I ever heard, but in an "objective" sense it's probably not the best if I remove the nostalgic blinders. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2061 on: May 07, 2023, 11:51:59 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2062 on: May 07, 2023, 11:54:51 AM »

Ain't My Bitch
Wasting My Hate
Bleeding Me
Fuel
The Outlaw Torn

No "Prince Charming"?  Shameful, that's probably the best song on either album.  I'm also partial to "The Memory Remains" because it was the second Metallica song I ever heard, but in an "objective" sense it's probably not the best if I remove the nostalgic blinders.

To be fair, both songs would make my extended LP.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2063 on: May 07, 2023, 01:47:14 PM »

Thanks again Tim  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2064 on: May 07, 2023, 01:48:16 PM »
 :metal