Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186124 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #1925 on: April 28, 2023, 06:42:55 PM »

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 06:47:56 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1926 on: April 28, 2023, 06:51:01 PM »
These guys are a mix of Coheed, Periphery, and Protest The Hero.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1927 on: April 28, 2023, 07:01:03 PM »

Duuuuude, now you're talking. Coral Throne is pretty cool, but No World For Tomorrow?!?!, now that's a top 5 all time record for me.

@Kade, the thrash record is by a band called Typhus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: April 28, 2023, 07:08:03 PM »
Sweet, I'll have a listen.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1929 on: April 28, 2023, 07:18:51 PM »

Duuuuude, now you're talking. Coral Throne is pretty cool, but No World For Tomorrow?!?!, now that's a top 5 all time record for me.

@Kade, the thrash record is by a band called Typhus.
I love every Coheed album. The Suffering, Welcome Home, and Ten Speed are great tunes... Good Apollo is what got me hooked!!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1930 on: April 28, 2023, 07:56:08 PM »
Getting ready for a concert tomorrow...

Ho boy, that's a great set of albums right there! Swap Utgard out for In Times and that might be my 5 favourite Enslaved albums.

I'm real jealous. I've only seen Enslaved once, and that was in support of Opeth, so not a full set. Enjoy dude, have you seen them before?

In Times is up there for me too. That was the first of their albums I discovered. Although now, my top 5 would be incomplete without Isa and Axioma Ethica Odini.

And no, I haven't seen them before! I'm really looking forward to it. Did you have a good experience?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1931 on: April 29, 2023, 01:48:28 AM »

Taking it back to '98  :hat

Getting ready for a concert tomorrow...

Ho boy, that's a great set of albums right there! Swap Utgard out for In Times and that might be my 5 favourite Enslaved albums.

I'm real jealous. I've only seen Enslaved once, and that was in support of Opeth, so not a full set. Enjoy dude, have you seen them before?

In Times is up there for me too. That was the first of their albums I discovered. Although now, my top 5 would be incomplete without Isa and Axioma Ethica Odini.

And no, I haven't seen them before! I'm really looking forward to it. Did you have a good experience?

Yea, they were great but the set was just to short, I need to see them headlining. It was back when they'd just released E, which is my favourite album, and the set was E heavy, and it was glorious.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1932 on: April 29, 2023, 08:19:46 AM »
So, I have been mildly obsessed with these two records in past week or so:

Both immensely enjoyable...the more recent one (Voyage) perhaps a bit "lighter", but also with slightly more memorable songs. Real nice stuff.

Also catching up with some recs:

Goddamn, this album is thrashtastic. :metal :metal

It sure is! At times it sounds like an angrier version of Testament. Been enjoying this one...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1933 on: April 29, 2023, 08:59:07 AM »
highly recommend Josh Smith's Bird of Passage for those interest in modern blues guitar. I've been listening to it for a few months now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1934 on: April 29, 2023, 09:02:07 AM »
So, I have been mildly obsessed with these two records in past week or so:

Both immensely enjoyable...the more recent one (Voyage) perhaps a bit "lighter", but also with slightly more memorable songs. Real nice stuff.

Also catching up with some recs:

Goddamn, this album is thrashtastic. :metal :metal

It sure is! At times it sounds like an angrier version of Testament. Been enjoying this one...

Yeah, I like the first Tanith a bit more, maybe I'm just more familiar with it. They're like a Thin Lizzy meets Fleetwood Mac mix. Cool stuff.

I'm gonna give the All Against another spin tonight. The first listen blew my doors off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #1935 on: April 29, 2023, 09:21:59 AM »

Yeah, I like the first Tanith a bit more, maybe I'm just more familiar with it. They're like a Thin Lizzy meets Fleetwood Mac mix. Cool stuff.

I'm gonna give the All Against another spin tonight. The first listen blew my doors off.

The guitar player (the only one remaining now) in Tanith is in Satan as well...you can hear a bit of their sound too (albeit in a much lighter fashion). And yes, the Fleetwood Mac reference is spot on, and not just for the double vocals. Olympus by Dawn has a super-cool Blue Oyster Cult vibe too.

All Against surprised me. Had no idea who they were  ;D Excellent, tight riffing, tons of energy and surprisingly varied too (with some good melodic touches, especially in many of the songs' intros)

Oh, and speaking of thrash, I've been enjoying this release from yesterday:

More on the crossover-thrash side of things - think Power Trip but a bit more "classic". Still, the riffage is undeniable.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1936 on: April 29, 2023, 10:57:13 AM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1937 on: April 29, 2023, 12:43:59 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1938 on: April 29, 2023, 01:59:17 PM »
Very good but honestly out of the Delain albums I’ve listened to (this, The Human Contradiction and the new one), the new one is my favorite. Maybe I’m biased because I own it and it was the first I listened to. Also I think I prefer the new singer's voice.

Wow, I hadn't even considered this yet, but I guess there are now going to be a new generation of fans who will have Diana as their first exposure to the band.  I'd definitely suggest checking out some of their other earlier albums, but this is certainly a curious thought. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1939 on: April 29, 2023, 02:46:42 PM »

Oh, and speaking of thrash, I've been enjoying this release from yesterday:

More on the crossover-thrash side of things - think Power Trip but a bit more "classic". Still, the riffage is undeniable.

I sampled that one yesterday too, but I didn't commit it to my Spotify library.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1940 on: April 29, 2023, 06:33:38 PM »

Numeron-Road To Valhalla

Sampled this yesterday and gave it a full go tonight while chilling on the couch. Been a bit since I put myself through an entire black metal album. This one was real nice too. But my issue with black metal isn't the glazey riffing, or even the vocals, but it's the drumming. Please stop with the blast beats and when we're not doing blast beats, I don't need a bass drum kick on every note. Parts of this, and in most black metal, it just overpowers the mood. There were still many parts where the drummer did let the song breathe, and overall, this was a nice listen.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1941 on: April 29, 2023, 06:39:43 PM »

Online nick_z

« Reply #1942 on: April 29, 2023, 07:03:05 PM »

Oh, this is a good one. Grew on me a ton over repeated listens. Wish the production let the songs breathe more, but the guitar work is a true tribute to the early 90s melodic death scene. I hope they do more, I'll be curious to hear how they develop their sound to be a little less derivative.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: April 29, 2023, 07:05:43 PM »
Totally agree with you on the production but I do like the old school melodeath sound.  It's an enjoyable album.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1944 on: April 29, 2023, 07:32:45 PM »
Totally agree with you on the production but I do like the old school melodeath sound.  It's an enjoyable album.

Yep, definitely enjoyable, I bought this one. You can definitely tell there is genuine love for that sound from the people in the band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1945 on: April 29, 2023, 07:44:18 PM »

Really nice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1946 on: April 29, 2023, 07:46:34 PM »

Online nick_z

« Reply #1947 on: April 29, 2023, 07:59:58 PM »

Really nice.

Suotana, right? I think I saw this mentioned somewhere recently...what are they like?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1948 on: April 29, 2023, 08:13:14 PM »

Really nice.

Suotana, right? I think I saw this mentioned somewhere recently...what are they like?

A bit like Euphoreon if you're familiar with them. Harsh vocals, Maiden style melodies, but not Maiden style riffing. A little blackish, with some grandiosity. Narrows it down, huh? :lol

Definitely worth a listen.

Got through 7 tracks of the Majesties album. Definitely cool. Tomorrow's selections will have easier on the ears vocals.  :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #1949 on: April 29, 2023, 08:35:02 PM »

Progressive metal with some harsh vocals and "death-y" moments here and there, from Finland. Bright, prominent keys and very nice melodies. The songwriting is "expansive" without being too complex.

The song The Night Inside is particularly good - the last two and half minutes are pretty glorious!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:18:20 PM by nick_z »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1950 on: April 30, 2023, 01:34:37 AM »

Progressive metal with some harsh vocals and "death-y" moments here and there, from Finland. Bright, prominent keys and very nice melodies. The songwriting is "expansive" without being too complex.

The song The Night Inside is particularly good - the last two and half minutes are pretty glorious!

I feel really disappointed with this record. Their previous, False Lights was so good, but after an 8 year wait this just falls short for me. I'll keep going back to it, but currently it's sat at #25 on my albums of the year list. I'm aware it could just be a case of having really high expectations though.

Also, some great looking records above, some I've checked out, some I've yet to. Keep 'em coming guys!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 02:05:22 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: April 30, 2023, 03:38:48 AM »

Really nice.

A bit like Euphoreon if you're familiar with them. Harsh vocals, Maiden style melodies, but not Maiden style riffing. A little blackish, with some grandiosity. Narrows it down, huh? :lol

Definitely worth a listen.

Got through 7 tracks of the Majesties album. Definitely cool. Tomorrow's selections will have easier on the ears vocals:lol

Did you expect any different from me?  :lol

I'll check this one out.  That Euphoreon album is fantastic.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1952 on: April 30, 2023, 06:06:18 AM »

I feel really disappointed with this record. Their previous, False Lights was so good, but after an 8 year wait this just falls short for me. I'll keep going back to it, but currently it's sat at #25 on my albums of the year list. I'm aware it could just be a case of having really high expectations though.

I didn't know the band at all, so I haven't checked out their previous work yet...I'm really liking this one, so I'm excited to hear False Lights now!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1953 on: April 30, 2023, 07:22:25 AM »

I didn't know the band at all, so I haven't checked out their previous work yet...I'm really liking this one, so I'm excited to hear False Lights now!
False Lights is pretty generic stuff, but really well done. It's got the brutality of Mikael Åkerfeldt's vocals, with Dream Theater's sense of melody and a bit of Soen thrown in for good measure. Far from groundbreaking but really good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 07:42:48 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1954 on: April 30, 2023, 10:23:57 AM »
Banged out four 2023 albums on the couch this morning..

The Cosmic Jaguar album is cool as shit. Has some slurpy vocals, but there's some great bass playing and some real interesting drumming. Nice guitar work too.

The Enslaved just does nothing for me. Caravans To The Outer Worlds is a great song, but the rest of it just sits there.

Every couple of years, Uriah Heep puts out a classic and solid album which reminds me why I like music in the first place.

The Golden Grass has a real retro 70's feel. Not sure how to classify it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1955 on: April 30, 2023, 10:45:46 AM »
Banged out four 2023 albums on the couch this morning..

The Cosmic Jaguar album is cool as shit. Has some slurpy vocals, but there's some great bass playing and some real interesting drumming. Nice guitar work too.

The Enslaved just does nothing for me. Caravans To The Outer Worlds is a great song, but the rest of it just sits there.

Every couple of years, Uriah Heep puts out a classic and solid album which reminds me why I like music in the first place.

The Golden Grass has a real retro 70's feel. Not sure how to classify it.

Those album covers look the least 'TAC' records imaginable (except maybe Enslaved)! I'm not wholly surprised you're not into Enslaved that much, but maybe it'll grow. How familiar are you with their other releases?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1956 on: April 30, 2023, 10:47:40 AM »
I'm not familiar at all with Enslaved. And this album doesn't motivate me..

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1957 on: April 30, 2023, 11:06:33 AM »
I'm not familiar at all with Enslaved. And this album doesn't motivate me..

Epic nordic metal doesn't motivate you?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1958 on: April 30, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »
Sucky Epic Nordic Metal doesn't do all that much for me.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1959 on: April 30, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »
Sucky Epic Nordic Metal doesn't do all that much for me.