Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 186457 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #1645 on: April 13, 2023, 07:14:32 AM »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1646 on: April 13, 2023, 08:58:33 AM »
Billy Joel - Fantasies & Delusions (Opus 1-10 Music for Solo Piano)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1647 on: April 13, 2023, 09:11:22 AM »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: April 13, 2023, 11:33:49 AM »
America - Homecoming
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1649 on: April 13, 2023, 01:07:30 PM »
Today at work...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1650 on: April 13, 2023, 01:27:17 PM »
Strapping Young Lad - City
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1651 on: April 13, 2023, 02:20:11 PM »
Larkin Poe - Kin

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1652 on: April 13, 2023, 03:03:27 PM »
Strapping Young Lad - City

One of the greatest metal albums ever!  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1653 on: April 13, 2023, 03:28:18 PM »
Bob Reynolds - Can't Wait For Perfect

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1654 on: April 13, 2023, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1655 on: April 13, 2023, 04:13:34 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1656 on: April 13, 2023, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1657 on: April 13, 2023, 05:46:00 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1658 on: April 13, 2023, 05:46:51 PM »
Today at work...

This is very good. Initially it didn't stick all that much, but it's grown quite bit. Don't know their discography too well, I need to remedy that...

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1659 on: April 13, 2023, 05:49:13 PM »
I love you man!  :tup :tup

I've been listening to Athem.  Really good guitar work and talent across the board.  The vocals are good, but I'm still getting used to the vocal melodies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: April 13, 2023, 05:56:30 PM »
Sign me the fuck up!

Just let me know when you start it up!  ;D

Maybe it's something I can have a crack at soon.  I'm just so fucking time poor.

Where/how is the best way to host a listening party? Some of us uses to use Plug.dj a lot, but that's no longer a thing. Also, what is the best time that's gonna suit all the different continents?  :lol

I was meaning just more like some of what is done here, where you have a thread and just spend a few days or a week on each album discussing it.  Might be something fun.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1661 on: April 13, 2023, 06:02:14 PM »
Over the last couple days...

Some new ones:

Raider's album is pretty relentless (death-y) thrash metal. Don't love the drum sound, but the energy and riffage is undeniable. Will probably revisit. We have talked about Crown Lands on these pages recently (it even got MP's nod, apparently)...I have to say, I'm really enjoying this. It has that "Rush tribute" aura that perhaps is a bit of a limit in the long run, but you can feel the enthusiasm is genuine. And there's great playing, sound and melodies in here. Other than the influence of the Canadian greats, I think there's some more direct 70s classic rock sensibilities (see more concise tunes like The Shadow, or the piano-led closer Citadel)

Plus some older stuff:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1662 on: April 13, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »

Believe it or not, I have both of these in my Spotify library. I should listen to them.  :lol
Actually, the Daylight Dies is pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1663 on: April 13, 2023, 06:51:04 PM »
Sign me the fuck up!

Maybe it's something I can have a crack at soon.  I'm just so fucking time poor.

Where/how is the best way to host a listening party? Some of us uses to use Plug.dj a lot, but that's no longer a thing. Also, what is the best time that's gonna suit all the different continents?  :lol

I was meaning just more like some of what is done here, where you have a thread and just spend a few days or a week on each album discussing it.  Might be something fun.
For sure, I'd join in. I am only a fairly casual King Diamond/Mercyful Fate fan, and don't have a great deal of knowledge about the band or album trivia. You volunteering to run it with someone?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: April 13, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
Sign me the fuck up!

For sure, I'd join in. I am only a fairly casual King Diamond/Mercyful Fate fan, and don't have a great deal of knowledge about the band or album trivia. You volunteering to run it with someone?

Hmm........my next project was a roulette, but if I'd get enough people following along I might.  Doesn't have to be pretty or indepth I guess.  Not sure how many fans are on here though.

The benchmark is Tim's UFO one and there's no way I'd have the time to invest anywhere near the quality of something like that.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1665 on: April 13, 2023, 07:18:53 PM »

Believe it or not, I have both of these in my Spotify library. I should listen to them.  :lol

Funny how you comment on those two and not Pyramaze or Darkane, both of which I'd think would be more to your taste.  All four are great though.  Or even Avantasia. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1666 on: April 13, 2023, 07:28:37 PM »
I only have Daylight Dies' first two records (No Reply and this one)...Dismantling Devotion is a big step up from the debut, although I always feel they miss some better melodic hooks to get to the next level. It all sounds great, though, with appropriately morose atmosphere a-la early Katatonia.

I have a soft spot for Madder Mortem. They are a bit weird, but not too weird..."unique" is perhaps a better way to describe them. Modern, dark, gothic, "emotional", heavy...all at the same time. Anyway, this is their latest, hope they release something new soon.

Layer of Lies might be my second favorite Darkane after their debut. It's a super-tasty album. The title-track almost has that Testament mid-tempo quality to it. Also some cool choruses very influenced by Devin Townsend (Organic Canvas!). My favorite on this is probably Contaminated. A true beast of a song, thrashy and groovy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: April 13, 2023, 07:28:47 PM »
I will say that Pyramaze album is amazing.  I have that Darkane album, plus a couple others but never really given them my attention.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1668 on: April 13, 2023, 07:29:07 PM »

Funny how you comment on those two and not Pyramaze or Darkane, both of which I'd think would be more to your taste.  All four are great though.  Or even Avantasia.

Well, it's just that I can't remember those two albums ever being referenced before.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: April 13, 2023, 07:29:27 PM »
Layer of Lies might be my second favorite Darkane after their debut. It's a super-tasty album. The title-track almost has that Testament mid-tempo quality to it. Also some cool choruses very influenced by Devin Townsend (Organic Canvas!). My favorite on this is probably Contaminated. A true beast of a song, thrashy and groovy.

I'll have to grab the CD out then and give it a spin.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1670 on: April 13, 2023, 07:29:58 PM »
I will say that Pyramaze album is amazing.  I have that Darkane album, plus a couple others but never really given them my attention.

Agreed on Pyramaze...great vocals and melodies on that one.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1671 on: April 13, 2023, 07:39:54 PM »
I only have Daylight Dies' first two records (No Reply and this one)...Dismantling Devotion is a big step up from the debut, although I always feel they miss some better melodic hooks to get to the next level.

Normally I like more prominent melodies, but honestly in their case I kind of like the subtlety.  Even as much as I've listened to their albums, I still feel I don't know them super well and am somewhat surprised by little twists and turns in the songs that I didn't quite recall.  I also feel they're a band that has gotten slightly better each album, though the last three are basically all on the same level, you should definitely listen to the ones you haven't heard.  And they are seriously way overdue a new album now. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1672 on: April 13, 2023, 07:56:59 PM »
Gave this a spin tonight for the first time in a long time.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1673 on: April 13, 2023, 08:13:02 PM »
I love you man!  :tup :tup

I've been listening to Athem.  Really good guitar work and talent across the board.  The vocals are good, but I'm still getting used to the vocal melodies.

The singer is Will Shaw who sang with Heir Apparent and Deadrisen. He also did a lot of DT years ago on YouTube. Great pipes. Check this out.....

https://youtu.be/ImOn7ZgFJRc

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1674 on: April 13, 2023, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1675 on: April 14, 2023, 06:24:28 AM »
Metallica - 72 Seasons

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: April 14, 2023, 07:05:08 AM »
Submotion Orchestra - Unplugged ii

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1677 on: April 14, 2023, 07:05:27 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1678 on: April 14, 2023, 08:00:34 AM »
Greg Koch - Orange Roominations

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1679 on: April 14, 2023, 08:09:26 AM »
Not a name I expected to see on DTF, though if anyone knew his work you'd be one of the strongest candidates.  I have a video of him demoing one of my guitars that I purchased at a vendor online.