Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 185210 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2022, 11:42:06 AM »

This album! I can't think of the last time an album hit me like this, it's near flawless. My all time favourite band with lyrical content and a concept that is intrinsically linked to my own life experiences this last year. The stars aligned and I can't see an album touching me the way this one has, for a while.

My only complaint is that sometimes it lacks something sonically. I'm not one who picks up on production issues, but sometimes these feels slightly 'off'. Still better than anything since The Dear Hunter's Act IV.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2022, 12:02:58 PM »

@ Glassah...Blasted this one out tonight. Loved Prison Of Time and The Ritual, which had a fantastic breakdown. Reminded me of King Diamond.

Loved the underlying guitars in these songs. Liar fucking rules, and Driving Into Darkness is incredible!

Classic Heavy Metal that is right in my wheelhouse.

Nice! I'm glad you like them!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2022, 01:05:40 PM »

Onto something a bit more extreme now  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2022, 01:31:22 PM »

This album! I can't think of the last time an album hit me like this, it's near flawless. My all time favourite band with lyrical content and a concept that is intrinsically linked to my own life experiences this last year. The stars aligned and I can't see an album touching me the way this one has, for a while.

My only complaint is that sometimes it lacks something sonically. I'm not one who picks up on production issues, but sometimes these feels slightly 'off'. Still better than anything since The Dear Hunter's Act IV.

This is a great album indeed. It has this Rush-like quality, not so much in the sound/genre, but in the ability to have lots of cool little details in songs that are catchy and straightforward on the surface. I particularly love Josh Eppard's drumming on this. It really elevates the songs. Anyway, it managed to sneak in my year-end list  :)

Still have to do my deep dive into the C&C records I don't know. I have Second Stage through Good Apollo I, then Year of the Black Rainbow...then their last one, of course. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »

This is a great album indeed. It has this Rush-like quality, not so much in the sound/genre, but in the ability to have lots of cool little details in songs that are catchy and straightforward on the surface. I particularly love Josh Eppard's drumming on this. It really elevates the songs. Anyway, it managed to sneak in my year-end list  :)

Still have to do my deep dive into the C&C records I don't know. I have Second Stage through Good Apollo I, then Year of the Black Rainbow...then their last one, of course.

Josh's drumming is really one of the main highlights, he always seems to be upping his game.

Nick, I'd suggest listening to The Afterman albums. Josh rejoined the band before recording this double album, and Zach also joined on bass, giving them the line up they've had for the last decade.

Both albums are great but I particularly love Descension, it is full of hits and pretty varied. I'd love to hear your take on it. Then hit up Good Apollo II. It’s generally not as well loved as Good Apollo I, but it's a top 5 all time album for me. It also features the late Taylor Hawkins on drums.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »

Josh's drumming is really one of the main highlights, he always seems to be upping his game.

Nick, I'd suggest listening to The Afterman albums. Josh rejoined the band before recording this double album, and Zach also joined on bass, giving them the line up they've had for the last decade.

Both albums are great but I particularly love Descension, it is full of hits and pretty varied. I'd love to hear your take on it. Then hit up Good Apollo II. It’s generally not as well loved as Good Apollo I, but it's a top 5 all time album for me. It also features the late Taylor Hawkins on drums.

Thanks for recs, Luke. Yes, I had the Afterman albums on my radar after perusing the C&C thread here and seeing that they are pretty well regarded. I'll report back once I (eventually  ;)) get to them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2022, 02:21:52 PM »
Queensryche- Greatest Hits

Y&T- Best of 81-85

W.A.S.P- s/t

Dokken- Back for the Attack

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2022, 02:35:48 PM »
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »

@ Glassah...Blasted this one out tonight. Loved Prison Of Time and The Ritual, which had a fantastic breakdown. Reminded me of King Diamond.

Loved the underlying guitars in these songs. Liar fucking rules, and Driving Into Darkness is incredible!

Classic Heavy Metal that is right in my wheelhouse.

Interesting.  Never heard of them!

Check them out for sure! Also, check out those Flotsam albums. Curious if you like the original No Place For Disgrace or the re recorded one better.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »
dredg - El Cielo
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2022, 03:32:32 PM »
Hey Glasser, have you checked this one out?

Spiritworld - DEATHWESTERN

Basically Slayer riff-o-rama in crossover/thrash sauce, set in some sort of weird western story concept  :biggrin: Sound-wise, think Power Trip if they were more influenced by Slayer.

This kind of vocals is a bit much for me after a while, but the album sure is entertaining (I mean, listen to the manic riffs on "Purafied by Violence", not sure if that's a typo in the title...)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2022, 03:43:22 PM »
I like the Slayer analogy and I'm definitely with you on the vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2022, 05:40:47 PM »

Chaos Frame - Entropy

US Prog metal from earlier this year. Didn't know this band at all. Pretty good, overall. Some of it sounds like Prog metal from the 90s, but there is a significant power component too. They are certainly not afraid to step on the gas pedal (Voluntary Extinction), as well as go for catchy melodies (Solaire). The third song, Skyscraper, is a very good blend of these elements. The vocals are not super-hefty, but they are good. I enjoyed it!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2022, 05:44:16 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2022, 05:46:02 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2022, 07:09:34 PM »

Basically Slayer riff-o-rama in crossover/thrash sauce, set in some sort of weird western story concept  :biggrin: Sound-wise, think Power Trip if they were more influenced by Slayer.

This kind of vocals is a bit much for me after a while, but the album sure is entertaining (I mean, listen to the manic riffs on "Purafied by Violence", not sure if that's a typo in the title...)

Oh hey thanks nick! Never heard this one but I will check it out and post my thoughts. Thanks for the recommendation.  :tup :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2022, 02:11:59 AM »

Oh hey thanks nick! Never heard this one but I will check it out and post my thoughts. Thanks for the recommendation.  :tup :metal

Just listening to this now and it's pretty good. If you both like this, you definitely need to check out this album...

Send More Paramedics are a UK based crossover thrash band and they are really underrated. I'm not sure I've heard them talked about around here. Whereas Spiritworld are Wild West themed, SMP are Zombie Movie themed.

This album is probably their best, songs like Blood Fever, This Crowd is Crushing Me and Flail of God are particularly good. Flail of God has one of my all time favourite riffs  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2022, 05:36:52 AM »
Lalu - Paint the Sky

Offline Deathless

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2022, 08:02:57 AM »
Circa Survive - Two Dreams

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2022, 09:43:07 AM »

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »

Just listening to this now and it's pretty good. If you both like this, you definitely need to check out this album...

Send More Paramedics are a UK based crossover thrash band and they are really underrated. I'm not sure I've heard them talked about around here. Whereas Spiritworld are Wild West themed, SMP are Zombie Movie themed.

This album is probably their best, songs like Blood Fever, This Crowd is Crushing Me and Flail of God are particularly good. Flail of God has one of my all time favourite riffs  :metal

I sampled a couple of the songs you mentioned, and it sure sounds fun! The vocals have a somewhat "punkier" approach that fits well. Some melodies too!  :biggrin: by the way, at first it looked like the album had 30 (!) songs...but then I read tracks 16-30 are actually part of a "soundtrack"...? 

Offline HOF

« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2022, 10:09:19 AM »
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2022, 10:30:10 AM »

I sampled a couple of the songs you mentioned, and it sure sounds fun! The vocals have a somewhat "punkier" approach that fits well. Some melodies too!  :biggrin: by the way, at first it looked like the album had 30 (!) songs...but then I read tracks 16-30 are actually part of a "soundtrack"...?

Yea, the second half is basically an atmospheric Zombie Movie soundtrack. I don't listen to it, and haven't for years, the first 15 tracks are awesome though!

I used to have This Crowd is Crushing Me as my ringtone like 15 years ago, it just launches straight into an awesome guitar solo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2022, 12:33:40 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2022, 12:55:22 PM »
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Really?

For real! I spun it twice back to back even. Just a great listen, and an especially great guitar record.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2022, 01:03:55 PM »
Slayer - Hell Awaits

Kreator - Hate Uber Alles

Manowar - Fighting The World
Manowar - Hail to England
Manowar - Hell on Wheels

Offline Glasser

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2022, 07:44:43 PM »
I'm on a Marduk kick! Spinning their album Wormwood today!  :metal

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2022, 07:48:37 PM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2022, 08:54:18 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2022, 06:09:30 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2022, 06:34:06 AM »
Miki Matsubara - Pocket Park
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 06:44:09 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2022, 08:08:00 AM »
Today I listened to:
The Who: The Who Sings My Generation
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
The Beatles: Revolver
Jefferson Airplane: Jefferson Airplane Takes Off
The Who: A Quick One
Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2022, 08:49:31 AM »

:metal

Now onto another French band  :metal this one's for the fogeys.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:35:11 AM by twosuitsluke »