Author Topic: What album are you listening to v.8  (Read 183629 times)

Offline Bluefish

Re: What album are you listening to v.8
« Reply #1365 on: March 24, 2023, 04:01:12 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1366 on: March 24, 2023, 09:39:29 PM »
Telegraph - Mir

Stumbled onto this on Laser CD's clearance page. Ken gave it his highest praise. Really digging this so far.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline HOF

« Reply #1367 on: March 24, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »
Telegraph - Mir

Stumbled onto this on Laser CD's clearance page. Ken gave it his highest praise. Really digging this so far.

Love this one. Didn’t know it was available on CD anywhere. I just have the download. Did you get the last copy?

Nevermind! I do have this on CD. Had to go dig it out because I honestly couldn’t remember if I had it or not. Very early Camel-ish.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:03:22 PM by HOF »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: March 25, 2023, 02:47:02 AM »
Depeche Mode - Memento Mori
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1369 on: March 25, 2023, 01:39:34 PM »

One of the cool things about roulettes is finding songs from bands sent that are even better than the ones submitted in a round.  In this case the last three minutes of "No Land Beyond" are some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.  I've been replaying them over and over the last few days in-between other listens. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1370 on: March 25, 2023, 01:51:26 PM »

One of the cool things about roulettes is finding songs from bands sent that are even better than the ones submitted in a round.  In this case the last three minutes of "No Land Beyond" are some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.  I've been replaying them over and over the last few days in-between other listens.

I would love to be a part of these roulettes but I have zero clue how these work. 😡

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1371 on: March 25, 2023, 01:53:53 PM »

I would love to be a part of these roulettes but I have zero clue how these work. 😡

Just have a read through a few dude, or follow an active one for a little bit. There's lots that has become roulette tradition that you don't HAVE to do. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.

I'd take part in yours, definitely!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1372 on: March 25, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
TAC's is almost over, so there should be a new one starting up very soon.  Assuming it's not something unusual or hyper-specific, I'd just recommend joining it and people will help guide you through.  I joined 425's last August without knowing much of anything about how they worked myself, but am so glad I did, to the point where a month or two in I'd decided I was going to run my own.  The only requirements really are to actively follow it and not be too thin-skinned about the host's opinions about what music you send.  You could also just read along if you want to observe one first.  Once Tomislav95's finishes in the next month or so there will be another one coming down the pike as well from someone else. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 02:01:58 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: March 25, 2023, 05:06:22 PM »
Rush - Snakes & Arrows

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1374 on: March 25, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »

Love it! I’m thinking their best since Ultra though I probably need to give Playing the Angel another listen.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1375 on: March 25, 2023, 06:48:42 PM »
I have that one and several others in my queue to check out next time I have a break, but I actually find Depeche Mode's last few albums quite underrated.  They don't reach the heights of the early material partially because they no longer have Alan Wilder's arrangement chops to elevate the songs, and they're probably not as hungry as a band anymore, but Dave is such a great vocalist and Martin a songwriter and backing vocalist that there's still quite a lot to like.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1376 on: March 26, 2023, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1377 on: March 26, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »
Ozzy - Bark At The Moon, inspired by me finding this pic of me at 19 which I couldn't help share with you. It was midday why was my hair teased that much? No shadows, all hair.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1378 on: March 26, 2023, 11:57:30 AM »
Fucking awesome! :metal

That's an awful white hand coming out of that hairy arm. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1379 on: March 26, 2023, 12:01:07 PM »
Fucking awesome! :metal

Now I can't unsee it. Awful.  :facepalm:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: March 26, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »
Eagles- Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2

Boston- s/t

Judas Priest- Defenders of the Faith

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: March 26, 2023, 02:53:07 PM »
Such amazing hair!  So envious!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1382 on: March 26, 2023, 03:29:55 PM »

I just assumed he lost it valiantly in battle and had a new cybernetic replacement. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1383 on: March 26, 2023, 04:04:48 PM »

I just assumed he lost it valiantly in battle and had a new cybernetic replacement.

It's like the wolfman applying for a job so he shaved his hand because it was sticking out of his suit sleeve.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1384 on: March 27, 2023, 09:43:18 AM »
The Bouncing Souls - Ten Stories High

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1385 on: March 27, 2023, 09:51:38 AM »
The Bouncing Souls - Ten Stories High

I'm not the biggest Bouncing Souls fan, but The Gold Record was on repeat a lot back in like 2009. I thought this new album was pretty damn good, for what it was.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1386 on: March 27, 2023, 01:11:21 PM »
Steve Vai - Sex& Religion
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1387 on: March 27, 2023, 01:17:33 PM »
Morgana Lefay - Sanctified
Morgana Lefay - Maleficiium
Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia

Lefay - The Seventh Seal
Lefay - SOS
Lefay - Symphony of the Damned (Re-Symphonised)

Angel Dust - Bleed

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1388 on: March 27, 2023, 02:09:30 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1389 on: March 27, 2023, 02:38:55 PM »

Really underrated band. 

In-between round new album catchup:

Depeche Mode - I enjoy their last few albums more than most, but this probably is a bit closer to their glory days than they've been in awhile

Nickel Creek - they really can do no wrong, some angular stuff on this one, and it'll probably be a grower, but I hope they can speed up this "new album every 9 years cycle" and release another one sooner than 2032.  They're better together than in their other projects. 

Phantom Elite - a bit underwhelming compared to their previous one, which was incredible, but it could be a sleeper, "Blue Blood" is probably the most noteworthy track on the first listen

Ocean of Grief - ooh, this hits the spot, some great melancholic and atmospheric death/doom, "Undeserving" is a magnificent closer

Elysion - I don't understand why RYM doesn't like this album.  It's not especially original, no, but I miss this sort of Lacuna Coil Unleashed Memories-esque sound in modern music.  Not quite at that level of quality, but people are snoozing on it, *sigh*

Angerot - gah, maybe RYM is either getting worse over time or just drifting further from my tastes, they're one of the most creative Swedeath-inspired bands around these days and should not be below 3.0 either, ugh

Hanging Garden - I think this one will be a grower, but like Ocean of Grief, this type of sound is so majestic, with "The Song of Spring" being particularly nice and apropos for the season, though it's really more of fall music for me

Thayer Sarrano - I love how she's made "dream country" a long-overdue thing, another excellent album
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:55:04 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1390 on: March 27, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »
BLACK FLAG- Slip It In.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1391 on: March 27, 2023, 04:35:44 PM »

Really underrated band. 

Indeed! Pretty unique too.

Ocean of Grief - ooh, this hits the spot, some great melancholic and atmospheric death/doom, "Undeserving" is a magnificent closer

Hanging Garden - I think this one will be a grower, but like Ocean of Grief, this type of sound is so majestic, with "The Song of Spring" being particularly nice and apropos for the season, though it's really more of fall music for me

I liked Ocean of Grief's previous album, but I haven't checked out this one yet. Hanging Garden's latest is very good, at least based on a couple of listens. It doesn't quite go "next level", but it's right in my wheelhouse in terms of sound. I can hear some "lighter" Draconian in there, plus maybe Aegis-era Theatre of Tragedy. Nice one, for sure.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1392 on: March 27, 2023, 08:11:41 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1393 on: March 27, 2023, 08:17:59 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1394 on: March 27, 2023, 08:21:00 PM »
@Bluefish - Check this album out!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1395 on: March 27, 2023, 08:23:37 PM »
I will.  Thanks!

Edit: I like it so far.  Is this their only full length album?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:29:20 PM by Bluefish »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1396 on: March 27, 2023, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1397 on: March 27, 2023, 08:30:17 PM »

Pimping the album from Pristine some more - it's so good, and I can't stop listening. Classic rock with all sorts of cool twists and a fantastic vocalist. I spent a good amount of time with the Majesties album...as I mentioned in the Friday release thread a couple of weeks ago, there was a good amount of hype surrounding its release. It didn't quite hit me right away - I didn't (and still don't) love the production on it and wish it had a little more breathing room. But given my love for the sound it's inspired by (early to mid 90s Gothenburg), I gave it some time and I'm appreciating it more and more. The guitar work is excellent. Isole's album is very tasty doom metal (that opening song!). As for Gatekeeper - I only gave it one listen, but it sounded like pretty good epic metal...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1398 on: March 27, 2023, 08:37:50 PM »
I will.  Thanks!

Edit: I like it so far.  Is this their only full length album?

Yes. They have a demo with a different vocalist but this album is excellent. Let me know your thoughts.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1399 on: March 27, 2023, 09:27:14 PM »