Author Topic: Your go to Christmas and holiday movies  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Your go to Christmas and holiday movies
« on: December 16, 2022, 10:12:42 AM »
Well, tis the season

What has everybody been watching or planning to watch for the holidays?

So far I've just watched Home alone 2, and Home alone 1 is coming next

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your go to Christmas and holiday movies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
The kids like Home Alone 1 and 2.  My wife likes It's A Wonderful Life.  I don't really care.  I love the holidays and will watch just about anything that is holiday-themed.  We did a Hawkeye rewatch, which was really fun. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 10:18:59 AM »
Pretty much watch these every year:

- Scrooged
- Die Hard
- Christmas Vacation
- A Christmas Story
- Elf
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »

- Scrooged
- Die Hard
- Christmas Vacation
- A Christmas Story
- Elf

https://media.tenor.com/bI9mkW8aUzYAAAAM/here-we-go-again.gif

For jingle.family, Elf.  Every Christmas eve.  We even have an 'Elf-tree' (full sized) in the basement, and a whole theme around it - sock, PJs, mugs, pictures, yada yada.

That said, Christmas Vacation is the best them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 11:02:05 AM »

- Scrooged
- Die Hard
- Christmas Vacation
- A Christmas Story
- Elf

https://media.tenor.com/bI9mkW8aUzYAAAAM/here-we-go-again.gif

For jingle.family, Elf.  Every Christmas eve.  We even have an 'Elf-tree' (full sized) in the basement, and a whole theme around it - sock, PJs, mugs, pictures, yada yada.

That said, Christmas Vacation is the best them.

Christmas Vacation is a timeless classic. Freaking love it.

And I love the 'Die Hard' debate    :lol     I have a fond memory burned into my mind as it was playing in the background on a Christmas Eve the first time I ever had to build a legit Thomas the Train table....this huge thing with all these tracks and what not.....for my oldest son. It was the first time as a Dad I had to put something extensive together after they'd all went to bed so if I see Die Hard on around Christmas I'm taken back to that time in our first home's basement all those years ago.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »
Lots of muppety things top the list: 

The Muppet Christmas Carol
A Muppet Family Christmas
A Very Merry Muppet Christmas
Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas

Also
Klaus
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Jingle Jangle
Noelle

We also watch a lot of holiday episodes of shows, like Doctor Who.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 11:21:54 AM »
Muppet Christmas Carol and Christmas Story

All others are fighting for second.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
I don't recall seeing Christmas Vacation at the time it was released.  A couple years ago, I saw it in the $5 movie bin at Target or some other store and bought it.  I do not get what anyone sees in that movie.  If I ever watch it again, I'll be surprised.

I'll watch Die Hard anytime and briefly was in the "it's a Christmas movie" camp, but it really isn't.

When the kids were little, we (meaning the kids and my wife) had the Santa Clause movies THE go-to movies of the season.  I really only watched for the family experience and for Elizabeth Mitchell.  The first one is so hilariously '80s (despite having been released in '94), and I cannot stand Tim Allen's kid.

Honestly, there aren't a ton of Christmas movies that really do it for me.  I'm far more into the Rudolph/Frosty claymation TV shows, The Year Without a Santa Clause. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, the Grinch, Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, etc.  THOSE say Christmas to me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 12:03:05 PM »
And I want to go on record as saying Michael Caine's Scrooge is hands down, without a doubt, the best ever.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 12:22:52 PM »
Eight Crazy Nights
The Santa Clause
Elf
Miracle on 34th Street (new one)
Jingle All the Way
Home Alones
Just Friends

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
And I want to go on record as saying Michael Caine's Scrooge is hands down, without a doubt, the best ever.

Agreed! 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 01:46:09 PM »
The trifecta of Christmas-movies to me that I tend to watch every year: Die Hard (night before Christmas), Christmas Vacation and Jingle All the Way (it's not a great movie but I have watched it since I was a kid and have nostalgia for it).

It's usually a tradition for me to re-watch the LOTR extended trilogy as well, I usually do them 3 days in a row around Christmas, but there's been a few exceptions (like when I haven't been able to dedicate that much time).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 02:32:31 PM »
not exactly a "Go To" but a favorite of mine which rarely gets mentioned:

-The Family Man

technically, a remake of sorts of Miracle on 34th Street. This movie totally changed my mind about Nicholas Cage as an actor. I used to hate him, but after his performance in this movie, I grew to like a lot of his work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:08:57 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 02:46:10 PM »
Whichever James Bond is playing on ITV this year.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2022, 06:51:27 PM »
For as much as I get in to the Christmas season, I don't care for most "Christmas movies." Like pg1067 I am more in to the Christmas TV specials. If I don't watch the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas or A Charlie Brown Christmas, the holiday season doesn't feel complete.

For a good 15 years I did watch It's A Wonderful Life without fail. I took a break for a while and last year watched it again for the first time since I got married.

I do make a point to watch some version of A Christmas Carol. More often than not it was the 1984 version with George C. Scott, which became the definitive version for me. I feel like I've seen most of the ones that are currently available on some viewing format. Last year I watched the FX version with Guy Pearce. That rocked my Christmas Carol world. I plan on watching that again next week.

Oddly I didn't see the Muppet Christmas Carol until a few years ago. as a fan of the Muppets and the many versions I've seen over the years, I was disappointed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 06:56:16 PM »
I do make a point to watch some version of A Christmas Carol. More often than not it was the 1984 version with George C. Scott, which became the definitive version for me. I feel like I've seen most of the ones that are currently available on some viewing format. Last year I watched the FX version with Guy Pearce. That rocked my Christmas Carol world. I plan on watching that again next week.

I should do that.  Believe it or not, I think the last one I watched, and the only one I can definitely remember is Scrooged, and that was when it was still a "new" movie.  I'm not even familiar with what the different versions are.  I should check out a few this year.  Anyone want to give me the rundown?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2022, 07:03:14 PM »
Folks, my new Christmas tee shirt.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »

I should do that.  Believe it or not, I think the last one I watched, and the only one I can definitely remember is Scrooged, and that was when it was still a "new" movie.  I'm not even familiar with what the different versions are.  I should check out a few this year.  Anyone want to give me the rundown?

There's a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_A_Christmas_Carol#Live_action_films

I've seen the 1951 version generally considered "the best" though my money is with the 1984 TV version, if you want the best translation of the story to the screen. George C. Scott is a boss, as always, and the rest of the cast is superb. It also has the most "tenderness and depth of feeling [referencing a line from the film]." It is faithful to the story and feels right, for lack of a better description. The 1954 version is alright. Fredric March is always solid. I recall they did something toward the end I've never seen in another version, which I thought was brilliant. I won't spoil it here. the 2019 FX version I mentioned follows the story the least, adding in some elements I thought were brilliant. It's not flawless. The pacing is off in parts, and if you want a proper telling of the story you'll be disappointed. Still highly entertaining.

Forgot the 1999 with Patrick Stewart because it's largely forgettable. Richard E. Grant might be my favorite Cratchit, though Joe Alwyn turned in a solidly unique performance in the 2019 FX version.

King, that is an awesome shirt!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 09:20:40 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »
I love Elf, oddly it’s really the only Will Ferrell movie I can get through.

My wife and I are old souls so we love the nostalgia of A Christmas Story.

I love a good dumb comedy but the love of Christmas Vacation boggles my mind. Its just awful.

And how about some love for Gremlins.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
I love a good dumb comedy but the love of Christmas Vacation boggles my mind. Its just awful.

Same here. The Clark Griswold shtick wears pretty thin with me. Almost as much as Will Farrell being... Will Farrell. Hence I've never seen Elf.

Never liked "scary" movies as a kid but always enjoyed Gremlins. Do not recall if I ever thought of it as a Christmas movie growing up.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2022, 11:29:50 PM »

Same here. The Clark Griswold shtick wears pretty thin with me. Almost as much as Will Farrell being... Will Farrell. Hence I've never seen Elf.

I've seen Elf.  Once.  On a plane.  Movies you see on a plane are usually 50% better than if you saw them anywhere else.  But Elf did NOTHING for me.  And yeah...Christmas Vacation was truly bad.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 12:39:47 AM »
Movies you see on a plane are usually 50% better than if you saw them anywhere else. 

Interesting.  I have found the opposite to be true.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 07:05:33 AM »
At some point during the holiday season, I like to catch

White Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
A Christmas Story
Home Alone
Die Hard
Gremlins (if I can sneak it in)

And lots more are fine, they just aren't "musts".

On the Die Hard question, I don't care what your opinion on it is, view it how you see fit. I will just say that, from what I can tell, given the glut of "Christmas" movies out there, Die Hard is as much a Christmas movie as a lot of other Christmas movies are.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 02:22:21 PM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2022, 09:10:30 AM »

Same here.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2022, 05:42:23 PM »

I've seen Elf.  Once.  On a plane.  Movies you see on a plane are usually 50% better than if you saw them anywhere else.  But Elf did NOTHING for me.  And yeah...Christmas Vacation was truly bad.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2022, 09:28:39 AM »
Movies you see on a plane are usually 50% better than if you saw them anywhere else. 

Interesting.  I have found the opposite to be true.

I'm not sure it's true anymore since we now have virtually unlimited viewing options on planes.  Back when your options were to watch whatever they were showing on the plane or read or twiddle your thumbs (or, for those who are able, sleep), it was always a "anything is better than nothing" situation.

I don't know what to tell you.  I think it matters a lot that I didn't see the movie when it was released.  As I mentioned earlier, I picked it up from the $5 video bin at Target a few years ago.  22-year old me might have found it amusing, but 50+ year old me found Chevy Chase acting like a complete idiot for 97 minutes (along with the phenomenally unfunny Randy Quaid) to be beyond obnoxious.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2022, 09:54:14 AM »
Die Hard
Elf
Home Alone
The Polar Express
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story (we never watch it until the Xmas Eve/Xmas marathon begins on TV)

I used to put in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, as I loved it as a kid. But in recent years, I realized what an a-hole they made Santa out to be, and how poorly Rudolph was treated, so I don't watch it any longer. Just keep it in my memory from when I was little.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2022, 10:41:19 AM »

Same here.

I generally don't care for Will Ferrell schtick, either.  The only movies of his I've liked, so far, are Elf, Stranger Than Fiction, and Spirited (a new musical that riffs on A Christmas Carol).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2022, 02:43:46 PM »
I usually watch A Christmas Story without fail. Others like many have mentioned, Die Hard, Grinch, etc.. though I've yet to see It's A Wonderful Life.

The Christmas episodes for the show Community are great too.

Also can't miss a chance to pimp this show and esp the 4th season.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 10:28:10 AM »
not exactly a "Go To" but a favorite of mine which rarely gets mentioned:

-The Family Man

technically, a remake of sorts of Miracle on 34th Street. This movie totally changed my mind about Nicolas Cage as an actor. I used to hate him, but after his performance in this movie, I grew to like a lot of his work.

FTFY  ;)

Anyway, came here to name the same movie because I'm really not into watching Xmas stuff but that is my annual exception due to my love for Cage. I also rewatched Trapped in Paradise last year, what a mess :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2022, 08:10:27 AM »
My wife and I love Family Man.  We don't watch it every year, but we really enjoy it when we do.

Saw Christmas With the Kranks last night for the first time (was on AMC), and thought it was hilarious.  Yeah, a lot of it was predictable and a lot of the gags are generic, but it was still funny, and I don't think people avoid any Christmas movie because of those two particular flaws.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2022, 05:56:11 PM »
My wife and I love Family Man.  We don't watch it every year, but we really enjoy it when we do.

Saw Christmas With the Kranks last night for the first time (was on AMC), and thought it was hilarious.  Yeah, a lot of it was predictable and a lot of the gags are generic, but it was still funny, and I don't think people avoid any Christmas movie because of those two particular flaws.

Is that the one with JLC and Tim Allen?  If so, that scene with the botox was glorious.

Or is 'Kranks' with Broderick and DeVito.  I'm getting them mixed up methinks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2022, 06:14:03 PM »
The first one.  My wife really likes silly humor like that, and she came home in the middle of it, so I may have to track it down and watch it again with her.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2022, 06:10:34 AM »
Right... Google reminded me that the latter was "Deck The Halls".  Which I also remember enjoying.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »
My friend and I were looking for a Christmas movie to watch and randomly decided on The Night Before, which was kinda dumb but fun haha. I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt so will watch just about anything with him in it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.