Author Topic: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #20-#1 speedrun any%  (Read 10657 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #39 - In these hyperactive times
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2023, 12:43:56 PM »
The only Riverside record I know, but I like it a lot.

And Ocean Machine is still the best Devin Townsend record, not just the last 35 minutes, but all of it.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2023, 03:45:01 PM »
Hmm, am I an outlier then too?  The first half is the best, particularly with "Life" and "Hide Nowhere", two of his best songs, period. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2023, 04:17:09 PM »
Hmm, am I an outlier then too?  The first half is the best, particularly with "Life" and "Hide Nowhere", two of his best songs, period.

Yeah those aren’t even the songs I’d pick as highlights from the first half. :lol Those would be Night, Regulator and Seventh Wave.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2023, 12:15:18 AM »
That Riverside album is great, my favourite track there is Driven To Destruction.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2023, 06:45:50 AM »

Infected Mushroom
Vicious Delicious

One of my favorite electronic albums, in particular of the Psy Trance genre. It blends hard beats with electric guitars and synths, and very catchy vocals. It's a very creative and unique sound for the genre, and a lot of fun overall.

Recommended song: Becoming Insane

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #38 - I'm becoming insane
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »
I remember liking this when it came out, but I haven't revisited it in quite awhile. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2023, 09:35:16 AM »
I've enjoyed a handful of Infected Mushroom songs, namely Becoming Insane and Saeed, but listening to a full album by them has always been just... very boring for me. This is the only album of theirs I've even listened to enough to put on my RYM.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2023, 10:38:13 AM »
I really enjoyed Infected Mushroom when I was off my face at Boomtown Festival, but not something I'd listen to at home. I remember living with a bunch of French guys when I was backpacking in Australia, they really loved Infected Mushroom, good times.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2023, 09:16:12 AM »
I've enjoyed a handful of Infected Mushroom songs, namely Becoming Insane and Saeed, but listening to a full album by them has always been just... very boring for me. This is the only album of theirs I've even listened to enough to put on my RYM.
Yeah, they've got amazing songs throughout their discography but very inconsistent albums. I feel their best ones are this, and Converting Vegetarians 2, which I almost included here. I highly recommend it as it's a more laid back approach instead of their typical in-your-face, bombastic sound, and their most varied and "experimental" record, the one I felt they always wanted to make - they even have a song that's basically a Pink Floyd tribute :lol

I really enjoyed Infected Mushroom when I was off my face at Boomtown Festival, but not something I'd listen to at home. I remember living with a bunch of French guys when I was backpacking in Australia, they really loved Infected Mushroom, good times.
I'd love to see them live one day, I love electronic music and parties.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2023, 09:08:22 PM »

Kendrick Lamar
To Pimp a Butterfly

This was bit of a turning point for me, when I started taking Hip Hop more seriously, as this album did many things right: complex rhythms, blending Jazz, Soul, and Funk sounds, very catchy yet intricate rap vocals, deep (and brutal) lyrics, and since it's constructed as a concept album, a very cinematic vibe. I love how well this record explores the themes of self-love and hate, fame, depression, violence, race, and politics, and it's as relevant today as when it was released back in 2015. Although I haven't been that much into his following albums, I still go back to these tracks from time to time and the music videos that accompany them.

Recommended song: Alright

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #37 - Loving you is complicated
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2023, 06:28:52 AM »
I really like To Pimp A Butterfly. My brother and I joke that Kendrick is the DT of the hip hop world with all the changes and quick turns. I think Mr. Morale is a more consistent album though, a few of the issues I had with Butterfly seemed to be wiped out with the new record and it sounds a lot less disjointed.

Great record :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2023, 07:13:15 AM »
I felt the opposite actually, I found Mr Morale all over the place and only a few songs were interesting to me - Mother I Sober is amazing for instance.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2023, 07:01:00 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:18:22 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2023, 07:03:29 AM »
I felt the opposite actually, I found Mr Morale all over the place and only a few songs were interesting to me - Mother I Sober is amazing for instance.

Well damnit now I'll have to go back and relisten back to back.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2023, 12:22:23 PM »

Brand New
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

I've tried to get into other Emo albums, and they haven't really been my thing at all. Yet, this record manages to captivate me. It's a very mature effort in terms of creative songwriting, thoughtful and deeply personal lyrics, and intense vocals. They've managed to craft their own sound within the confines of Emo music and Indie Rock, with some hints of Post Hardcore for good measure. Each song is unique and nothing feels redundant, and they're all catchy tunes, with very memorable melodies and moments.

Recommended song: Limousine

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #36 - But do me a favor, baby, don't reply
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2023, 12:45:19 PM »
Great album. Been meaning to check out other Brand New albums, it's just very low on my priorities and all the shit with the vocalist kinda lowered my motivation even further. :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2023, 01:02:00 PM »
For what it's worth, Buddy, Science Fiction was also fantastic. Almost as good as The Devil and God...

Deja Entendu is way more angsty, but also good. 
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2023, 01:08:15 PM »
ADHD and Devil & God are some swag picks  :yarr

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2023, 07:31:37 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:17:59 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2023, 12:29:28 PM »
Yeah Brand New while great has definitely soured a bit for me because of Jesse and what he did but it's weird how there's other situations where I might be more (or less) forgiving of that, I guess depending on how bad the situation is VS how deep the music touches me.

As for the previous few picks, I'm a Blackfield 1 guy over Blackfield 2 but just seeing Blackfield represented makes me happy. Blackfield is probably my favorite SW project these days, even though I like it more for what Aviv brings than what Steven brings. But it's a nice duo where they kinda bring out the best in each other. I think Blackfield V was also very good and on par with the first two, I get more mileage out of Welcome to my DNA than most, Blackfield IV is not bad either but For the Music was a bit underwhelming in my opinion. Probably the only album I feel no interest in going back to.

Love Riverside but I don't even know what album of theirs would be my favorite. I feel like the first 3 are the most classic but I love ADHD and I think Love, Fear and the Time Machine was very strong as well. Just one of those very consistent bands that hasn't had a dud IMO.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2023, 10:24:56 AM »
Oops, forgot about this again. Here's the next one:

Bohren & der Club of Gore
Sunset Mission

A record that sounds and feels just like its cover - mysterious yet calm music, very slow paced, the kind of Dark Jazz you listen to while reflecting about life in a rainy day. It's certainly closer to Ambient than any variant of Jazz, as the emphasis here is on atmosphere and mood, and the arrangements tend to be quite minimal. It's heavily inspired by the Twin Peaks soundtrack, and Angelo Badalamenti's (RIP) quieter work on David Lynch's films, but they managed to craft their own sound, the sax in particular being almost omnipresent and the driving force of most of the tracks. Future albums would take the minimalist to further extremes, and while they've got some stellar tracks, I feel Sunset Mission is their most consistent work by far.

Recommended song: Powler

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #35 - *slow, mysterious doot*
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2023, 10:42:50 AM »
I love Midnight Radio as a background track for studying or doing anything creative - how would you compare this one to that?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2023, 12:32:32 PM »
Ah yes, now that's some great stuff.  Black Earth and Patchouli Blue are my favorites. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2023, 03:51:33 PM »
Checking out the recommended song and it's definitely a great vibe. I'll give this a spin ASAP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2023, 10:47:37 AM »
I love Midnight Radio as a background track for studying or doing anything creative - how would you compare this one to that?
I don't remember much from that album, seems I didn't like it that much (gave it a 3 on RYM :lol), and iirc, Sunset Mission is their first record with a sax player. So I'd give this a try, it's lovely.

Ah yes, now that's some great stuff.  Black Earth and Patchouli Blue are my favorites. 
Black Earth is amazing, and quite close to this one. I didn't really care for their last album tho, maybe I should revisit it just in case.

Checking out the recommended song and it's definitely a great vibe. I'll give this a spin ASAP.
Hope you dig it!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2023, 11:09:26 AM »

Black Earth is amazing, and quite close to this one. I didn't really care for their last album tho, maybe I should revisit it just in case.

Yeah, pay particular attention to "Sag mir, wie lang", that's my favorite cut on it. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2023, 09:11:23 AM »
Sunset Mission is fantastic!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2023, 11:23:57 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:17:32 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2023, 02:31:37 PM »

Gorillaz
Demon Days

A very well-known band, made up entirely of cartoon characters! It started as a side project by Damon Albarn of Blur, and has evolved into an ambitious project, with its own fictional universe and a novel. *Demon Days* in particular expands on their lovely sound to include traces of Hip Hop, Funk, Pop, Electronica and Downtempo, and even bits of Rock and Dub. It's a very eclectic record, with many songs having powerful climatic moments, while others are a bit quieter, but there's never a dull moment.

Recommended song: El Mañana

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #34 - Mwahahahahahaha
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2023, 02:44:54 PM »
I played this record to death when I was a kid. Nowadays I admire how varied the tracklist is, but a lot of the songs don't hold up as well for me. I'm personally not a huge fan of the low-fi production and prefer the band's more lush, synth-pop leaning stuff like Plastic Beach, Song Machine and The Now Now.

That said, El Mañana is probably their best song. #2 at the lowest. Feel Good Inc. and Every Planet We Reach Is Dead are also really good.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:43 AM »
I own this but I don't think I've ever listened to it. I will fix that.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2023, 11:20:42 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:17:12 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2023, 09:52:08 PM »

Portishead
Dummy

An album that's both conventional and experimental, subtle and punchy, comforting and heartbreaking. A record that defined a genre, with its lo-fi sound, enorumous bass, and intimate lyrics, delivered with such a fragility and tenderness by Beth Gibbons. I highly recommend reading up on the process behind Dummy's creation, as it's way more original than it may seem on a first listen.

Recommended song: Roads

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #33 - How can it feel, this wrong
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »
No love for one of the best 90s albums? Oh well :P

Converge
Jane Doe

This is the most intense record in the whole list: a visceral, chaotic, insanely heavy piece about break up and the dissolution of a close relationship. Although a very common topic in music, the way it's portrayed here it's so unique - one of extreme sadness and pain, delivered through violent vocals, distorted yet perfectly produced guitars, insane drumming, and a thick and dirty bass. There are some melodic moments here, and a few instances of slowing down a bit, only for them to be pulverized over and over again.
And the lyrics, albeit completely unintelligible when screamed, and there not being an "accurate" official release of them, they're beautiful and poetic, filled with imagery and literal expressions intertwined, and I can quite relate to them, in particular the ones on the last track: they feel very close to what being in a relationship with someone with BDP is like.
Usually as with most albums that can be described as ending with "core", it could be very easy to fall into cliche and what's popular, but I feel that Jane Doe does nothing of that, and manages to transcend genres, by not giving a fuck about conventions - they've even stated something along the lines of "We're too weird for the punks, and too punk for the metalheads". What was accomplished here is nothing short of amazing, and I feel that while many albums on the genre lack a strong conceptual theme, I can always go back to this one.

Recommended song: Jane Doe

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2023, 09:26:26 AM »

Portishead
Dummy

An album that's both conventional and experimental, subtle and punchy, comforting and heartbreaking. A record that defined a genre, with its lo-fi sound, enorumous bass, and intimate lyrics, delivered with such a fragility and tenderness by Beth Gibbons. I highly recommend reading up on the process behind Dummy's creation, as it's way more original than it may seem on a first listen.

Recommended song: Roads

This is the best album you have posted yet. I have so many memories linked to those album and it really transports me back to '94/'95.