Author Topic: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #20-#1 speedrun any%  (Read 10653 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #20-#1 speedrun any%
« on: December 14, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
It's been 7 years since my last top 50, damn, the relentless passage of time and all that. I feel that my tastes have developed and established enough for me to make this again and not expect it to change much in the coming years.

I've realized my favorite music tends to live in the limits of things - between the experimental and the accessible, the weird and the pop, in the outskirts yet quite within some recognizable boundaries. I just feel this is the place where the most interesting stuff comes together, and the higher we go in the list, the more evident that most of this music blends together genres, styles, textures, and sounds that are hard to find elsewhere. There's also an emotional factor that's inescapable - music that doesn't move me emotionally in some capacity, I'm not very interested in.

This post will serve as a reference for the whole list and I'll try my best to keep it updated as we go. Only one album per artist here, mostly to allow more diversity and to let people find out cool stuff.

Spotify playlist with the recommended songs: link

Honorable mentions
  • Sigur Rós Ágætis byrjun
  • King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King
  • David Maxim Micic Bilo 3.0
  • clipping. CLPPNG
  • Liquid Tension Experiment Liquid Tension Experiment 2
  • The Cardigans Gran Turismo
  • Alter Bridge Blackbird
  • Ed Harrison Neotokyo
  • BADBADNOTGOOD III
  • Lana del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Top 50

21. Kashiwa Daisuke Program Music III
22. Nicolás Jaar Sirens
23. Arcade Fire Funeral
24. Marketa Irglova Muna
25. Kyuss Kyuss [Welcome to Sky Valley]
26. Various Artists Hotline Miami
27. David Bowie
28. Ulver The Assassination of Julius Caesar
29. Radiohead OK Computer
30. Steven Wilson Grace for Drowning
31. Bent Knee Shiny Eyed Babies
32. Converge Jane Doe
33. Portishead Dummy
34. Gorillaz Demon Days
35. Bohren & der Club of Gore Sunset Mission
36. Brand New The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me
37. Kendrick Lamar To Pimp A Butterfly
38. Infected Mushroom Vicious Delicious
39. Riverside Anno Domini High Definition
40. Blackfield Blackfield II
41. Mike Oldfield Ommadawn
42. Refused The Shape of Punk to Come
43. The Angelic Process Weighing Souls With Sand
44. Boris Boris at last -Feedbacker-
45. DJ Shadow Endtroducing.....
46. dredg El Cielo
47. Nils Frahm Felt
48. Fishmans 宇宙 日本 世田谷 (Uchu Nippon Setagaya)
49. No-man Together We're Stranger
50. Gazpacho Demon
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 01:31:36 PM by Sacul »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. Honorable mentions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 11:15:15 AM »
Honorable mention

Sigur Rós
Ágætis byrjun

It feels so weird to have an album of their outside of my top 50, but if I'm being very honest, I can't think of a full album of theirs that I love back to back. They all have some amazing songs, some even being all-time favorites, but I personally never vibed with the whole package they present. Still, some of the most hauntingly beautiful music out there, right here.

Recommended song: Starálfur
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:50:40 PM by Sacul »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 11:32:41 AM »
Top 50 best Sacul music? Definitely interested in following. :corn

I need to revisit Ágætis byrjun. I'm familiar with a few Sigur Rós albums but for me, ( ) is miles away their best one and nothing else I've heard from them really comes close.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 02:25:15 PM »
Trout Mask Replica at #1
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 02:36:56 PM »
 :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »
Le following.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 06:16:29 AM »
I need to revisit Ágætis byrjun. I'm familiar with a few Sigur Rós albums but for me, ( ) is miles away their best one and nothing else I've heard from them really comes close.
( ) has some amazing closing tracks, but I haven't really revisited the first few songs in a long while, I might have to soon.

Trout Mask Replica at #1
:neverusethis:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 06:57:51 AM »
Following!

I like a few Sigur Rios tracks but I think I've struggled with the vocals the most. Sometimes it really works but most of the time it's just a miss for me. I'll give the album a spin again today and see if my thoughts change.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 07:04:52 AM »
Following.

I visited Iceland earlier this year, so obviously listened to a load of Icelandic bands. Can't do that without some Sigur Rós. I'll give this a spin to revist. I know ( ) is my most listened to album of theirs.

It's really wintery here, with loads of snow still, so probably pretty perfect.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 07:39:30 AM »
( ) has some amazing closing tracks, but I haven't really revisited the first few songs in a long while, I might have to soon.

The first songs are some of the best! I love 1 and 3 in particular, they're so minimalistic yet so lush and beautiful. I think I like Sigur Ros the best when they venture away from the typical post-rock instrumentation a bit.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 08:04:36 AM »
Glad to see folks following, time for the next one...

Honorable mention

King Crimson
In the Court of the Crimson King

Another incredible band that I have the same issue as with Sigur Rós - plenty of amazing tunes, but few albums I love all the way through. I feel their debut comes pretty close to that though. I saw them live back in 2019 and they were killing it, and they played a few songs from here. Great album.

Recommended song: The Court of the Crimson King
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:50:02 PM by Sacul »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »
This is a band I need to spend more time with. I recognize some song but there hasn't been much that grabbed me enough to make me want to listen to them.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
I'll be pretty busy today so I'll post this one early:

Honorable mention

David Maxim Micic
Bilo 3.0

I used to be very big on this guy's music a few years ago, particularly right after this was released. But as my tastes and interests shifted, I ended up leaving it behind a bit, only to come back to it while making this list. And it still holds up pretty well - it's such a unique sound that combines a bit of djent-y guitars with orchestral sounds, ambient segments, unconventional song structures, and beautiful melodies. To call it "progressive metal" only makes sense in the truest meaning of the term, for I feel what was achieved here has a sensibility that similar artists lack - they're lost in their intricate arrangements, making music mostly appealing to other musicians. David makes music for himself, and we're grateful he shares it with us.

Recommended song: Where is Now?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:48:26 PM by Sacul »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 08:19:42 AM »
I'll partially follow.  Not sure I'll have to time to check out many unfamiliar albums, at least 'til possibly sometime next month. 

ITCOTK is legendary for all the legitimate reasons.  I wish more bands had taken after the sound of "21st Century Schizoid Man", especially the saxophones. 

Bilo III took a long time to grow on me, but I've become more and more fond of it over the years, it really rounds out the more cinematic facets of his sound (as does the latest one). 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 08:26:19 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 08:26:00 AM »
Bilo III would probably make my top 10. Definitely should have made the proper list imo, but oh well. :)

21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph are both great songs but I'm pretty lukewarm on the rest of ITCOTKC.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2022, 08:26:26 AM »
for I feel what was achieved here has a sensibility that similar artists lack - they're lost in their intricate arrangements, making music mostly appealing to other musicians.

While I think I understand what you're getting at, I'm not sure the result has come out that way, it seems that his music still mostly just appeals to musicians, or the type of people that like music that appeals to musicians. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »
I'll be pretty busy today so I'll post this one early:

Honorable mention

David Maxim Micic
Bilo 3.0

I used to be very big on this guy's music a few years ago, particularly right after this was released. But as my tastes and interests shifted, I ended up leaving it behind a bit, only to come back to it while making this list. And it still holds up pretty well - it's such a unique sound that combines a bit of djent-y guitars with orchestral sounds, ambient segments, unconventional song structures, and beautiful melodies. To call it "progressive metal" only makes sense in the truest meaning of the term, for I feel what was achieved here has a sensibility that similar artists lack - they're lost in their intricate arrangements, making music mostly appealing to other musicians. David makes music for himself, and we're grateful he shares it with us.

I mentioned the other day about our tastes growing apart. I remember you being into this back when I first joined DTF. That was probably when our tastes were most similar. Oh, and I remember you sending me Destrage in my first roulette. We've just gone in different directions since then I guess. I really love BILO III but I think the best it would do is just scrape into my top 100 albums.

Court of the Crimson King is OK, but I don't think it's all that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 08:50:45 AM »
Never got into King Crimson, too weird for me.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 10:25:52 AM »
Ranking your honorable mentions so far...

1. BILO III

2. Ágætis byrjun
3. In the Court of the Crimson King

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 01:05:47 AM »
You guys are wrong, In the Court of the Crimson King is great :biggrin: in my top 20 for sure
Even though I like ( ), I could never get into Ágætis byrjun
Heard of David Maxim Micic but never listened to it. I think you sent a song or two in my first roulette but I could be wrong.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online HOF

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
You guys are wrong, In the Court of the Crimson King is great :biggrin: in my top 20 for sure
Even though I like ( ), I could never get into Ágætis byrjun
Heard of David Maxim Micic but never listened to it. I think you sent a song or two in my first roulette but I could be wrong.

I'm a big KC fan, but I actually don't care so much for ITCOTCK. It's fine, but not my favorite. KC are sometimes more of an intellectual exercise in music listening, though there are some moments of intense beauty that do just knock you over (Starless, Islands, Trio).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 11:02:23 AM »
( ) is way better than agaetis imo but both are really good, so
court is fine but it's mostly the odd numbered tracks i really like, the other two are eehhhh. prefer red by a good margin.
i tried listened to bilo IV recently and it just. bored me to tears, man  :lol idk if i'd like bilo III if i went back to it either i just. do not djent anymore

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
Never got into King Crimson, too weird for me.

I agree, I've giving a few chances but it never clicked. David Maxim Micic is a new discovery for me this yar and I really enjoy his music from the little I've heard.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »
i tried listened to bilo IV recently and it just. bored me to tears, man  :lol idk if i'd like bilo III if i went back to it either i just. do not djent anymore
Yeah, Bilo IV was a disappointment to me, but Bilo 3.0 still holds up quite well to me, hence its inclusion here - every album on the list, even the honorary mentions, is at least a 4.5 out of 5 imo.

Ok, time for the next one...
Honorable mention

clipping.
CLPPNG

This record is wild: bursts of noise, quick fire vocals, minimal synths, and very catchy melodies. Each song is an experiment on how to make weird-ass yet addictive music, and it's banger after banger, for the most part. If the terms "Industrial Hip Hop" and "Experimental" sound appealing to you, give this a try.

Recommended song: Story 2
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:47:41 PM by Sacul »

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 03:49:32 PM »
Following. I don't usually say much, but I greatly enjoyed your roulette. You've already listed some outstanding music in your honorable mentions. I'm checking out David Maxim Micic now.

Clipping. fan here! Some of the subject matter of their early stuff is too much for me, but they're incredible. Splendor and Misery lands in my top 5 of all time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 03:56:17 PM »
Thanks! Let me know if you enjoy some of his music.

Clipping. fan here! Some of the subject matter of their early stuff is too much for me, but they're incredible. Splendor and Misery lands in my top 5 of all time.
Huh, I should really revisit it, I remember not finding it very memorable upon release, too ambient for me, but maybe I'll appreciate it more now.

Btw, I've added a recommended track to each entry, and a playlist containing all of the Saculcore so far in the OP.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. Honorable mentions - it's clipping b****
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 03:58:38 PM »
story 2 has grown on me over the years and i did check this album out but nothing else on it did much for me  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 04:32:55 PM »

Well he barely does either, to be honest.  It's the djent with the least djent in it. 

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 04:37:07 PM »

Huh, I should really revisit it, I remember not finding it very memorable upon release, too ambient for me, but maybe I'll appreciate it more now.

Yeah there are some long ambient stretches in it, but (IMO) they serve a purpose in the story, more like cinematic sound design. I just find the whole thing incredibly moving, and I've never heard anything else like it. The story is gut-wrenching; bleak and harsh but beautiful. When the hard-hitting rap tracks do come, there's an emotional release of all that ambient tension. And that ending...

So yeah. For me, the whole thing has this gravitas that I can't quite explain.

Obviously this is all just my opinion. I'm weirdly passionate about this album, and there's no expectation that you'd connect with it in the same way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 10:43:31 PM »
Interesting, didn't know it was conceptual, I'll give it a go again these days.

Let's keep going...

Honorable mention

Liquid Tension Experiment
Liquid Tension Experiment 2

I remember the first time I listened to the opener on their debut, *Paradigm Shift*, as it caused exactly that on my young mind. I wasn't only impressed by the musicianship, but by how complex a song could be in playing with many different ideas and sections and making them all flow from one to another. It all felt natural, nothing was forced, just a continuum of energy, and a climatic conclusion. I was hooked. And although I loved that first album, and their Live in LA performance, with time I've come back to their sophomore effort more. I feel this is a more mature work, with their sound coming together in quite unique ways that I still appreciate to this day.

Recommended song: Biaxident

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. Honorable mentions - Chris & Kevin
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »
I suspect like many DT fans, I was obsessed with this album at one point.  I've listened to a few individual songs here and there over the years, but not the whole thing in a long, long time.  I probably should though, it solves my JLB concerns, and Levin is a more varied player than Myung, though I like both.  "Acid Rain" and "When the Water Breaks" were my favorite tracks back then. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. Honorable mentions - Chris & Kevin
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2022, 11:07:59 PM »
Last one for tonight:

Honorable mention

The Cardigans
Gran Turismo

Super catchy tunes, lovely synths and videogame-like sounds, a wonderful voice - that's pretty much all you need to know about this pop record. Give it a try.

Recommended song: Explode

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Honorable mention

Alter Bridge
Blackbird

Hard Rock and Post-Grunge are not genres I care for at all, but I'm always up for an AB album. They might not have the most original sound but the songwriting is always solid. Blackbird has their self-titled track, which might be their very best song, and plenty of fun tunes. Although I don't revisit it that much these days, it still brings me joys when a song from it pops up on my favorites' playlist.

Recommended song: Blackbird

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I liked LTE2 a lot back in the day but I'm not that into it now. I like LTE3 more.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Both great albums.  "Lovefool" from the previous Cardigans album gives me massive 90s nostalgia.  I didn't really start listening to the radio on my own until I was about 12, and that was one of the earlier songs I heard, taped on my boombox, and played excessively (No Doubt's "Don't Speak" was an even bigger one).  "Starter" is probably my favorite on that album. 

Blackbird is really the first album where AB started differentiating themselves from Creed more, with the more expansive tunes like the title track, and the heavier and darker fare like "Come To Life".