Author Topic: Physical Media - Movies & TV  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Physical Media - Movies & TV
« on: December 09, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »
Kind of a spin-off to the thread in the General Music Forum.
Anyone here still buy/collect Blu-Rays/DVDs/etc.?

Just like CDs, it’s a dying format in the age of streaming, but it has some advantages. With movies being constantly juggled around from streaming service to streaming service, and some movies just not available on any service, it’s nice to have a copy that I can watch whenever I want.

Last year I got into collecting movies from the Criterion Collection, a company that restores and releases “important classic and contemporary films” (their own words from their site). I’ve discovered a lot of great classic movies and directors through them.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:35:51 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Physical Media - Movies & TV
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:08:05 PM »
My stance here is the same, physical all the way. If we have learned anything in the digital media business on the video side, it's that you do not own that $10 or $20 movie or show that you purchase. Many people got burned in the HBO Discovery debacle. They had their legit purchases purged from their digital library on whatever service they bought from when HBO scrubbed various shows for a tax write off. I trust digital TV/movie purchases even less than digital music.

I'm a member at https://www.blu-ray.com/ and I am always looking for deals. I have a nice wishlist built that I use to check for the best price all the time.

I pretty much refuse to buy a movie or show digitally. Way too much risk that your 'purchase' turns into a long rental.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 04:23:55 AM »
I haven't bought any physical movies/TV shows in probably 7 years.

Don't like the clutter anymore and after 3 cycles of buying VHS, then the same stuff on DVD and then again on Blu ray I just got tired of it.

Currently I just stream everything and I have a hand full of digital copies of my top favorite movies that I routinely go back to.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »
I haven't bought any physical movies/TV shows in probably 7 years.

Don't like the clutter anymore and after 3 cycles of buying VHS, then the same stuff on DVD and then again on Blu ray I just got tired of it.

Currently I just stream everything and I have a hand full of digital copies of my top favorite movies that I routinely go back to.

This is us.  My kids are all about streaming and when we're at home or have internet, that's what we'll do.  The down-side is when you're traveling, you can't just stream in the car.  I bought a few DVD's a year ago so the kids could watch movies in the car on portable players.  Aside from buying the final Star Wars films on blu-ray and the occasional kids film prior to it hitting Disney+, I can't say that I've wanted to own a blu-ray at all. 

In fact, we thinned out our DVD collection via garage sales, donations and the garbage over the last handful of years.  The one constant for me has been music and live concert releases.  I still love those and buy them when I can. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 06:44:04 PM »
I'm a member at https://www.blu-ray.com/ and I am always looking for deals.

I'm a member too at that site and have been collecting for a while.
This is too large of a collection according to my wife. I do have to get rid of some of my duplicates and others that I don't really care for so much. I haven't been able to add a few to the database that blu-ray.com has like a couple of Neal Morse Band BRs and I think BATAM's Coma Ecliptic: Live. Now I've gone down the road of converting a lot of my collection from regular blu-ray to 4k.

I like my hobby and it's the one thing I really enjoy going over all the extras and commentaries and also sometimes the collector's editions.

Once I figure out how to setup all my blurays I will post a picture, right now they're all in boxes as I just moved.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 06:47:25 PM »
Kind of a spin-off to the thread in the General Music Forum.
Anyone here still buy/collect Blu-Rays/DVDs/etc.?

Just like CDs, it’s a dying format in the age of streaming, but it has some advantages. With movies being constantly juggled around from streaming service to streaming service, and some movies just not available on any service, it’s nice to have a copy that I can watch whenever I want.

Last year I got into collecting movies from the Criterion Collection, a company that restores and releases “important classic and contemporary films” (their own words from their site). I’ve discovered a lot of great classic movies and directors through them.

Nice collection there! I see a many common titles. Curious are those the two Dune titles that I see there? I just have the new one that came out, don't have or have seen the Lynch one.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 07:06:40 PM »
Thanks! And yes, the bigger box is the Lynch version of Dune, rereleased by Arrow Video last year. The Lynch version is a mess. Lynch tried his best, but the studio had him jam the whole first book into one 2-hour movie. The first half is alright, aside from some truly awful CGI, but the second half rushes through the source material and is hard to follow. The best part of the movie is soundtrack, composed by Toto.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 07:16:07 PM »
Lol I see The Room and Birdemic.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »
Two classics of cinema  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 09:35:27 PM »
I was big in to DVDs right after I graduated college. I was in a major funk and very aimless, but I had taken graduation money and bought a DVD player a receiver, and some new speakers, and was so excited for this new format. I had been on the widescreen format for years, and would argue with people how it was the way the film should be presented. I didn't have much money, and didn't have cable TV, so bought movies from the bargain bins and second hand stores, and rented them from Hollywood Video. I watched all the bonus features to the point where I, in retrospec, would often see too much about how the sausage was made. These got me through many years of loneliness.

By the time Blu-Ray came out, I was not so focused on film and home theater, and was starting a family. I had stopped buying movies, though still received them as gifts. I own maybe 10 BDs. There was no way I was going to restart collecting films in a new format.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 09:57:45 PM »
I get that. I finally got a 4K TV last year, and no way am I going through and upgrading all my Blu-Rays to 4K. At a certain point, the improvement in quality doesn’t matter that much to me. When/If 8K becomes the norm, I’m not gonna replace my 4K movies just so I can see each individual pore on the actor’s faces.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:36:00 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
I don’t replace anything unless it’s something I love and watch constantly.

And since my 4K players still plays standard Blu-Rays and standard DVDs (I still have my original DVD of The Matrix I bought in 1999) there’s no need to replace anything. Everything I’ve ever collected all plays in the player I have.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2022, 02:02:47 PM »
Unlike with music, I own NOTHING other than what's on physical media.  I don't have any pics because it's all over the place.  Also, as with CDs, most of our DVDs are in folders with the cases thrown away.  However, there are several box sets and complete season sets that aren't in the folders.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 09:43:33 AM »
Audiobooks - Digital
Books - Physical
Music - Physical, but I also subscribe to Spotify to explore
Film/TV - Mostly moved over to Digital, I buy blu-ray films of ones I know I will re-watch frequently.
Games - Mix of physical and Digital for console, digital only for PC (that ship sailed a while ago).
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 11:01:51 AM »
I stream a lot, but anything I am likely to want to rewatch, I buy physical medai for.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »
I always buy 4K and Bluray of films/shows important to me.

I'm a huge Chris Nolan fan, so I have everything he's ever directed. But yeah, always physical media. Not everything is streamed, and if the services go out, always good to have the physical disc to put in. We have two 4k Bluray players in the house.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Just another reason I pretty much refuse to buy any movie or tv show digitally. Not the first time I have seen this happening. You get an option on many services to rent or buy, but I would say your options are rent or rent longer.

https://nerdist.com/article/playstation-store-will-delete-users-purchased-discovery-tv-shows-with-no-refunds/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't buy any digital movies. And really there isn't much of a need to buy anything physically either. Pretty much everything is available on a streaming platform.

6-7 years ago I went to an FYE that was closing down, got a bunch of DVDs for cheap, and most of them are just picking up dust at home still in plastic wrap.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 12:28:06 PM »
Pretty much everything is available on a streaming platform.

Until it isn't.  Streaming services are now yanking their own content off of their streaming services.  I basically buy physical media for anything that I feel I'm very likely to want to rewatch in the future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 01:49:00 PM »
There are actually a lot of things that aren't available streaming anywhere.  And it happens for a lot of different reasons.

But it's become so much a part of my life, the last time I bought a Blu-Ray was for Everything Everywhere All At Once because I missed it in theaters, and the only service it was available on I didn't have, or I could buy a digital copy (which I will never ever do).  I wanted to see it really badly, so I caved and bought the Blu-Ray.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 03:32:40 PM »
I might have mentioned this before, but I recently wanted to watch the classic Better Off Dead and it wasn’t streaming anywhere. Now I own it and I never have to worry about it getting pulled from anywhere.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2023, 02:28:53 AM »
Collecting is a large word, but I have a decent amount of physical releases. Even regular blu-rays can look amazing on my 55' LG C3, so the format turned out to be future proof.

I mainly buy:
-Modern conversions/scans of classic films (Harakiri, Human Condition Trilogy, Metropolis etc.) that aren't and probably won't be on conventional streaming services.
-4k UHD discs of my favourite films (the high effort ones with better grading, good HDR and bitrate).
-Director's cuts/versions that not often make it onto streaming.
-Collections/series in a box.
-Second hand blu-rays for cheap of films I like (I recently bought Bourne Trilogy for 4 euro's, for example).

Streaming is nice, but looking for a specific film can be a pain, and many services don't offer the best quality/version (many films that have gotten a great 4k release are HD on Netflix here, for example).

And films get pulled way too frequently and is just very unreliable. Examples are the Bond films not being on Prime anymore despite Amazon spending billions on MGM or many Warner Bros films dissapearing from HBO Max. Fuck that, stopped my subs for both. If a company is not even letting their own content remain on their own services, I am done with them. At least with Disney and Netflix you know Disney and Netflix content can be found on them (which in both cases is actually a good amount of content).

(note that streaming services can be very different depending on a country, so my examples may not apply elsewhere).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 02:39:35 AM by ErHaO »