Author Topic: OPPENHEIMER - New Trailer Out Now!  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: OPPENHEIMER - New Trailer Out Now!
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2023, 08:07:34 AM »

I too prefer CDs, looks like the CDs are estimated to ship in September
https://mondoshop.com/products/oppenheimer-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-cd

Thank you! I'll order as we get closer. Appreciate it!

Anyone else think this is Nolan's best chance so far for a best picture Oscar? Visually gorgeous movie, amazing sound and score, fantastic performances all around, compelling story. Not my favorite, but his most Oscar-like move to date IMO.

I think he'll get it finally. Because the film is a subject people know about historically, and has dialogue (unlike Dunkirk), I think it strikes the balance that will get people to give him the nod. I hope so. It has been a long time coming. In my mind, Nolan is this generation's best director. I recently upgraded my film collection of his works, picking up the 4K versions instead of DVD and Blu-ray. And holding all those films in my hand, it struck me...the enormity of the guy's creative brilliance as a filmmaker. 
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2023, 08:50:51 AM »
Did a quick search and was surprised that he didn't get a nod for Dark Knight, I could've sworn that had been nominated for Best Picture, but it's just Inception and Dunkirk.

I do think it is his to lose right now. I'm sure some will, and are already clamoring for Barbie to win (haven't seen it so I'll hold judgement) but I still think it's coming down to this and Dune.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2023, 08:52:20 AM »
Did a quick search and was surprised that he didn't get a nod for Dark Knight, I could've sworn that had been nominated for Best Picture, but it's just Inception and Dunkirk.

I do think it is his to lose right now. I'm sure some will, and are already clamoring for Barbie to win (haven't seen it so I'll hold judgement) but I still think it's coming down to this and Dune.

Having not seen either (yet), just remember that it's not even August. Most Oscar movies don't get released till the later half of the year. So if he seems like a shoe in, good to remember that none of his competition has been released yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2023, 09:28:53 AM »

Having not seen either (yet), just remember that it's not even August. Most Oscar movies don't get released till the later half of the year. So if he seems like a shoe in, good to remember that none of his competition has been released yet.
Yeah, being a summer blockbuster will hurt him for sure. I think a nomination is a sure thing. Depends a lot on what else comes out and where the momentum is going at voting time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2023, 05:23:11 PM »
Excellent film. A great example of non-linear storytelling that paces well and keeps engagement. All of this while mostly being a couple of people talking in rooms or streets for nearly three hours. That is an achievement I'd say. Great acting all around. This film could easily have been boring as fuck.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2023, 06:02:16 PM »
Excellent film. A great example of non-linear storytelling that paces well and keeps engagement. All of this while mostly being a couple of people talking in rooms or streets for nearly three hours. That is an achievement I'd say. Great acting all around. This film could easily have been boring as fuck.

That last point is so spot in, the way Nolan made it made it intriguing. Thee way he drew us into the story and didn't let go was so deftly handled.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2023, 04:03:56 AM »
This film could easily have been boring as fuck.

I thought it was way too long for its own good and quite boring. I've read reviews saying that this is Nolan's most emotionally resonating film yet.. beats me. I'm a big fan almost all of his movies, save for maybe Tenet. What Oppenheimer has in common with Tenet is that the pace is so all over the place that I just don't have the time to ease into the story. It's all so loud and impersonal in my view.

Went to see Barbie a few days later and I liked that one way better. I don't know what's happening to me.  :lol
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2023, 04:59:23 AM »
Thought it was really great. Would probably say it's in the upper half of the Nolan films. My holy trinity would still be Memento, Inception and The Prestige, maybe The Dark Knight at 4th but Oppenheimer was really good. Happy for Cillian Murphy to finally get a chance to show how good he is as the lead and I feel like an oscar nomination for him would be deserved. Great supporting acts as well. Pleasantly surprised by Robert Downey Jr as well, I've been a fan of his but I feel like post Iron Man he kinda became that persona in a lot of his roles and this was something different to that.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2023, 07:39:02 AM »
This film could easily have been boring as fuck.

I thought it was way too long for its own good and quite boring. I've read reviews saying that this is Nolan's most emotionally resonating film yet.. beats me. I'm a big fan almost all of his movies, save for maybe Tenet. What Oppenheimer has in common with Tenet is that the pace is so all over the place that I just don't have the time to ease into the story. It's all so loud and impersonal in my view.

Went to see Barbie a few days later and I liked that one way better. I don't know what's happening to me.  :lol

I personally don't see how this film could be any shorter without sacrificing on the character development of Oppenheimer and what led to all the decisions that were made. I also think the structure and pacing was excellent in this regard, as the switching between timelines shows the contrasts and what moments led to certain decisions later on.

I don't feel the film is very emotionally resonating though. To me the engagement was a fascination with the people behind perhaps one of the most altering inventions in human history, and the social dynamics/morals surrounding it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2023, 02:12:32 AM »
Saw this yesterday, and really enjoyed it!

Jumping between different timelines was jarring at first, but I got used to it as the film went on, and it all came together in the end!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2023, 02:28:46 AM »
A worthwhile movie. Superb performance by Cillian. Weakest part of the film was all the exposition that took place between Downey JR and his assistant.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2023, 05:21:19 PM »
gotta say, massive fan of his work overall, but this one left me a bit uneasy. his filmmaking skills are undeniable, one of the best of all time in my opinion, but the way this one kinda felt anti-american didn't sit right with me. i dig thought-provoking stuff, but this leaned heavy on one side. still processing it all - anyone else feel the same?
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Online faizoff

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2023, 06:17:03 AM »
Been a while since I saw it so don't recall all details, what was the anti-american part?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2023, 07:54:12 AM »
Been a while since I saw it so don't recall all details, what was the anti-american part?

Yeah, I'm not recalling any sort of Anti-American sentiments within the film. If anything, it's at least Anti-War, and Anti-Nuclear Weapons, but neither of those are inherently American (unless you associate them with the USA, then I could see why you would feel that way).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2023, 11:15:25 AM »
It does kind of turn old school thinking on its ear.  There are probably still a large contingent of the populace that still repeat the rhetoric that “we showed those Japs a thing or two” because they don’t like thinking about the actual fact that those bombs killed thousands of innocent civilians.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2023, 02:11:54 PM »
As someone who believes that the dropping of the bombs was a necessary evil, I thought the movie was pretty even-handed. I didn't sense any Anti-Americanism.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2023, 06:49:55 AM »
So I finally got a chance to see it. Great stuff. Didn't felt slow or boring, the tension was always there, especially on the scenes leading up to the Trinity test. Cillian Murphy is fantastic in everything he does. Thomas Shelby managed to outwin even Iron Man  :lol

In a post cold war world, all the high tensions scenes to determine if "Oppie" was a communist felt a bit outdated, but well, that was the timeframe. The inner conflict about the use of the bomb and what a nuclear arms race would mean for the world were handled well IMO. Great movie all around.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2023, 08:10:09 AM »
I haven't watched it again since the theater. Apparently all the 4k copies were sold out and unavailable anywhere due to very high demand. they're back in stock now, I will wait until the price dips a bit before picking it up. They have over 3 hours of bonus material which should be really interesting.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan