Author Topic: Have you ever taken an IQ test?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Have you ever taken an IQ test?
« on: December 09, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
Just curious if anyone else has ever taken an IQ test?

I tested at 131 and its kind of a relief to know the number, because for my entire life I felt like I don't fit in and can't relate to people. And now I have better understanding of why. It's just another piece of this mental health puzzle I am trying to put together and understand.

I appreciate this ability as its made it easier in decision making, but my god the social isolation part I wouldn't wish on anyone. Its very hard fitting in and Often I just wish I more like everyone else. 

Has anyone else here taken an IQ test? If so, what was your score (if you feel like sharing). And are there any benefits/struggles you feel which line up with your score?

And even if you haven't taken a test, any thoughts from anyone are welcome too.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Have you ever taken an IQ test?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 10:33:07 AM »
My IQ isn't high enough to understand how IQs work.

In point, I don't think they're portable, consistent, or easily comparable. I don't know if the IQ range I was tested at as a lad is comparable to the IQ I got later in life online, or would get now. What I can tell you is that when I was originally tested I qualified as highly gifted. Don't know as that would still apply now as the IQ range seems to have changed.

Also, I've known some remarkably simple people with high IQs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 10:36:08 AM »
Nope....but my youngest did at the behest of his teachers and scored pretty well. Well enough to put him in the 99th percentile of his age/grade and afford him the ability to be enrolled in some more challenging classes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »
Yes, and I've administered them a few times.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 10:55:01 AM »
I took one as part of a college experiment, scored 139. Pretty sure the subsequent 20 years of alcohol and meth dropped that a few points though. :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 07:44:04 PM »
Yes, when I was a kid, for testing into the gifted program.  I was, uhh, about four standard deviations above the mean...although that always seemed way too high to me, I think my brain is just wired well for those sorts of evaluations.

If I remember right, above about 125, differences don't really lead to different outcomes...it's "smart enough" to be able to do a PhD, or really whatever else you want.  Having your shit together emotionally, being self-aware, etc. are the differentiators above that point.

Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 09:16:32 AM »
I took one in third grade, it was 130-something.

Pretty sure I've regressed since then. I mean, I'm the kinda guy that looks for his glasses while wearing them.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 07:18:07 AM »
So this is not at ALL a comment about anyone here, nor about any of the answers here... but I'm in MENSA - or I would be if I paid my $200 dues - and as a parent (and now grand parent) I read a fair amount about intelligence and intellectual growth.  I read often about these tests, and far more often than not, the recipients are in the "top 1%".  That's a finite fucking number.   In the U.S., that's TOPS, 3 million people.   Now, granted, there are selections going on; I imagine that in this day and age of mega- this and extreme- that, the person that scores a 90 (the low end of average intelligence) isn't bragging about it, and I imagine that places like here are self-selecting for even above average intelligence, but still.  Further, schools are incentivized to game the scores; with what we know about accountability (or lack thereof) and blame that happens so frequently these days, the odds are that a parent is going to get "your kid scored 85, so good luck with that!" and is going to point fingers at the school first.  It can't be me!  My kid isn't average because of ME!

I think the only real measure is a third party test given under controlled situations with no end game to the results. 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:35:15 AM by Stadler »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 07:24:10 AM »
Yes, many moons ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 07:26:57 AM »
Never a properly administered one, to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:58:00 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 03:17:13 PM »
Never done an IQ test, and not sure why I'd ever need to take one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »

I tested at 131 and its kind of a relief to know the number, because for my entire life I felt like I don't fit in and can't relate to people. And now I have better understanding of why. It's just another piece of this mental health puzzle I am trying to put together and understand.

I appreciate this ability as its made it easier in decision making, but my god the social isolation part I wouldn't wish on anyone. Its very hard fitting in and Often I just wish I more like everyone else. 

Has anyone else here taken an IQ test? If so, what was your score (if you feel like sharing). And are there any benefits/struggles you feel which line up with your score?

What correlation does the number have with that issue?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »

I too am wondering...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 05:07:35 PM »
Yes, many moons ago.

Did the IQ test break?

Online HOF

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 10:38:07 PM »
So this is not at ALL a comment about anyone here, nor about any of the answers here... but I'm in MENSA - or I would be if I paid my $200 dues - and as a parent (and now grand parent) I read a fair amount about intelligence and intellectual growth.  I read often about these tests, and far more often than not, the recipients are in the "top 1%".  That's a finite fucking number.   In the U.S., that's TOPS, 3 million people.   Now, granted, there are selections going on; I imagine that in this day and age of mega- this and extreme- that, the person that scores a 90 (the low end of average intelligence) isn't bragging about it, and I imagine that places like here are self-selecting for even above average intelligence, but still.  Further, schools are incentivized to game the scores; with what we know about accountability (or lack thereof) and blame that happens so frequently these days, the odds are that a parent is going to get "your kid scored 85, so good luck with that!" and is going to point fingers at the school first.  It can't be me!  My kid isn't average because of ME!

I think the only real measure is a third party test given under controlled situations with no end game to the results.

I was gonna say, the only people I know personally who have been tested are people with (reportedly) high IQs. Not saying they weren’t smart people (most seemingly smarter than I). Just seemed a little convenient. But maybe lower IQ people either aren’t being tested or they’d just never tell you if they scored lower. I’ve never been tested, but I always found the whole concept a bit suspect.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 10:57:30 PM »
I was gonna say, the only people I know personally who have been tested are people with (reportedly) high IQs. Not saying they weren’t smart people (most seemingly smarter than I). Just seemed a little convenient. But maybe lower IQ people either aren’t being tested or they’d just never tell you if they scored lower. I’ve never been tested, but I always found the whole concept a bit suspect.
I was tested as a lad because I was clearly bright, but a shitty student. Had I been dumb and a shitty student I doubt anybody would have bothered, but in my case something was definitely busted. My folks wanted to find out what it was. I think it's kind of established that people of high intelligence often have various issues, both social and learning difficulties, so maybe that leads to an increase in people being tested. And on the other side, the kid that sticks crayons up his nose probably doesn't warrant a formal evaluation.

Just a thought.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 06:05:44 AM »

I will do my best to try and explain it all out. And I am not trying to appear better than anyone with what I am about to write. It just what I experience:

Here's the IQ bell curve for reference. 131 sits alone in distant right 2% of the curve and this ability to put things together mentally really fast as well as envision and anticipate how things are gonna play out means I'm usually figuring things out faster then the people around me.

The curse of this is that everything seems obvious, but not to everyone else. and up until just a few years ago I would point out and correct everyone constantly (without realizing I was doing it). I've now learned to just shut up and let things play out.

I've been called an a know it all by multiple people, even though I don't mean to be. It gets on their nerves that you just have the answers and they are less likely to want you around, so you get ostracized.

Here's a reference list of some other negatives that come with high IQ. This post is already getting long, but check that article out if you want.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evolution-the-self/202111/13-reasons-why-high-iq-can-make-you-less-happy#:~:text=Key%20points,that%20they%20can't%20meet.

In summary, with an IQ that is different than the majority, you act in ways that are "different" than the mass group. Different stands out. Different gets labeled and often gets ostracized. I feel like an alien. I feel like oil in water when around other people. I try to fit in, but just separate out. If you can not relate to other people, its hard to be around other people and thus leads to social isolation.

Is this Aspergers? maybe. Is this high function autism? maybe. Is it a little bit of multiple things? Probably. But I'm just talking about high IQ mostly for the moment. 

And also, If given the chance to have an IQ closer to the majority, I would take it in a heartbeat.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 07:22:16 AM »
Bunch of stuff, no particular order:

-IQ is nominally an innate characteristic (albeit one that decreases after about age 9, if I remember correctly), getting at the idea of intellectual firepower, so I'm not quite sure where the bit about blaming a school comes from. It's not like a standardized test or SAT score (though those are also crap)

-To the question about how valid the curve can be, if only folks expected to be at the tails of the distribution are tested...at least historically, the military tested everyone, and I think it dates to around WW1 (so there is a HUGE data set).  This is enough to establish the characteristic of the population. That said...

-IQ has steadily been going up since that time!  The test is in many ways a test of ability to use abstract reasoning.  The more we have gradually moved from an agrarian/manufacturing economy/society and towards a knowledge-based one, the scores drift up.  Kids are more exposed to abstract reasoning & thought in their day to day, and it reflects in test scores.  So, maybe IQ isn't really measuring what it purports to? Maybe it's at least in part measuring a kind's socioeconomic environment?

-The origins of IQ testing are pretty racist/eugenic

-Phoenix, you need to find your people; and maybe you need to make a big change in life to get there.  There might be neurodivergence in play, but there's also a matter of temperament & personality.  If you do a lot of abstract reasoning and are curious, people who are aggressively incurious aren't going to like it (i grew up white working class/white trash, a good portion of folks were one step removed from Yosemite Sam, I get it).  "Code switching" to be able to interact with these people is excruciating and exhausting, and can generate a whole loteof resentment.

-That said, there is a way to soften things a bit, rather than just keeping your mouth shut...you can ask questions rather than stating things are hard facts/outcomes.  I do this a lot at work when I have more knowledge/experience than the person I'm talking to. "If we did X, what do you think will happen after that?" "What do we think about Y consideration?", etc.

-IQ doesn't dictate behavior
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2022, 07:22:41 AM »
Whether or not I have or have not taken an IQ test is not something I would disclose, nor would I ever share my score.

The whole concept of discussing 'IQ,' especially when said score places one in a perceived upper-echelon, feels like a veiled, self-congratulatory observation.

For me, raw intelligence has little to no bearing on, well, anything. I am much more concerned in someone's emotional intelligence, sense of self, and work ethic.

This is not to call Stadler out (although, his post has prompted this anecdote)—when I was young, my grandfather would often brag to anyone who would listen that he 'could be a member' of MENSA "if he wanted to pay for the membership."

My grandfather was a proud man. He built the home he raised my father in with his bare hands. He was also a drunk who spent the last thirty years of his life clipping coupons, collecting government checks, 'studying', and doing crossword puzzles.

My father, who didn't graduate high-school (the only one of his siblings to not attend college), probably has an average IQ. That said, he somehow managed to climb several rungs up socioeconomic ladder. I spent the first 5 years of my life living in a trailer on the ass-end of town. By the time I was eighteen, my parents resided in a gated community and we (my sisters and I) were all attending private schools and driving shiny new cars.

My father started a machining business in a shed behind said trailer, and through grit and gumption, grew that one-man operation into a manufacturing powerhouse.

So, whenever my grandfather would brag about being an unofficial member of MENSA (meant as a dig to my Dad), my father would grin and bear it. But once, while driving home, my typically stoic father said, "You know, you grandfather is probably the smartest man I know. He's forgotten more about the world than I'll ever know. But you know what, son? You don't need to be a genius to recognize a good opportunity. You just need to have your eyes open and be willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Most men aren't willing to go there, but if you are, you'll do just fine in life."

It's one of the 'smartest' things anyone's ever told me.

Like I said, my father is by no means a genius—but he's as cagey as they come, and I've never met someone more capable of turning a nickel into a dollar.

If you're a genius, that's great. But if you're just an ordinary guy of ordinary intelligence who likes to work hard, we will probably get on great.

@Stadler—like I said, this is not a direct dig at you (I respect you)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 07:23:26 AM »
Yes, many moons ago.

Did the IQ test break?
Nah.  Didn't hit genius-level.  I just know a lot of shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 07:43:44 AM »

-Phoenix, you need to find your people; and maybe you need to make a big change in life to get there.  There might be neurodivergence in play, but there's also a matter of temperament & personality.  If you do a lot of abstract reasoning and are curious, people who are aggressively incurious aren't going to like it (i grew up white working class/white trash, a good portion of folks were one step removed from Yosemite Sam, I get it).  "Code switching" to be able to interact with these people is excruciating and exhausting, and can generate a whole loteof resentment.

Thanks, and I think you are right. Coincidentally, just as I was starting to think about all of this, a new group on meetup.com popped up for neurodivergent people,

its called society for neurodivergents, which I joined and will be checking out their events.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2022, 08:09:21 AM »
First off, GREAT POST.  Lot's of good stuff here.

-IQ is nominally an innate characteristic (albeit one that decreases after about age 9, if I remember correctly), getting at the idea of intellectual firepower, so I'm not quite sure where the bit about blaming a school comes from. It's not like a standardized test or SAT score (though those are also crap)

That was from me and I tried to be clear, but what I meant was, people don't understand this stuff, generally speaking, and I was playing on the predilection I see for people blaming others for their (perceived) shortcomings.  I'm with you; school's got nothing to do with it, but I'm living proof here:  my step son (on the spectrum) was diagnosed and his father (read: douchebag) tried blaming the school. 

This is me; in high school, I lived around a bunch of stoners, I played sports, so I was friends with the jocks, but I was in the Honors classes, so I was friends with the nerds. But not really a "part" of any of the groups.  It hurt me then, it has helped me today.  I wouldn't call it "code switching" as much as I would "reading a room", but my natural curiosity serves to cushion a lot of barriers.  I actually today sort of struggle with - in the intellectual sense - those people that only seem to surround themselves with themselves.   I don't need friends that listen to Kiss or like the Bruins.  I have that, of course, but I also like to have friends who - nicely - tell me why Kiss blwos and give me someone to kid around with as they root for the Flyers.   

-That said, there is a way to soften things a bit, rather than just keeping your mouth shut...you can ask questions rather than stating things are hard facts/outcomes.  I do this a lot at work when I have more knowledge/experience than the person I'm talking to. "If we did X, what do you think will happen after that?" "What do we think about Y consideration?", etc.

BIG FAN of questions.  I used to be pretty shy - still am in some ways - but I will talk to anyone and nothing gives me more pleasure than to be in a bar and start talking to someone.  I find it fascinating and enlightening.  It can be exhausting - I am an introvert, after all - but I learn so much.  (Pro-tip for the singles:  many people are thrilled that someone is showing interest in them; you have to be careful that the questions aren't too pointed or personal, but you can really get a good rapport going pretty quickly with the right questions).    At this point I can have an entire conversation with someone where my side is simply questions.   It's not just "what do you do?" or "where'd you get those shoes?".  It takes some thought, but with all the big brains here, all the high IQs, that shouldn't be a challenge!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Online HOF

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »
I was tested as a lad because I was clearly bright, but a shitty student. Had I been dumb and a shitty student I doubt anybody would have bothered, but in my case something was definitely busted. My folks wanted to find out what it was. I think it's kind of established that people of high intelligence often have various issues, both social and learning difficulties, so maybe that leads to an increase in people being tested. And on the other side, the kid that sticks crayons up his nose probably doesn't warrant a formal evaluation.

Just a thought.

This all makes sense!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2022, 05:03:42 AM »

-To the question about how valid the curve can be, if only folks expected to be at the tails of the distribution are tested...at least historically, the military tested everyone, and I think it dates to around WW1 (so there is a HUGE data set).  This is enough to establish the characteristic of the population. That said...

-IQ has steadily been going up since that time!  The test is in many ways a test of ability to use abstract reasoning.  The more we have gradually moved from an agrarian/manufacturing economy/society and towards a knowledge-based one, the scores drift up.  Kids are more exposed to abstract reasoning & thought in their day to day, and it reflects in test scores.  So, maybe IQ isn't really measuring what it purports to? Maybe it's at least in part measuring a kind's socioeconomic environment?

-The origins of IQ testing are pretty racist/eugenic

-IQ doesn't dictate behavior

*chefs kiss*
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2022, 04:40:44 PM »
Heathrow baggage handling and ground staff are severely under resourced today. Currently been waiting 4 hours to get luggage off the plane. Would file a missing bag request and have it delivered like the customer service managers suggest, but since I'm burying my grandmother on Monday I would rather like the suit that is in the bag, and they can't guarantee delivery within 24 hours....

What a shit show. Bleh.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 04:49:32 PM »
In to 2% range in properly administered test.

Stupidest flex ever. Someone mentioned it above and it's true - Being emotionally somewhat put together is most important
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 04:51:17 PM »
Heathrow baggage handling and ground staff are severely under resourced today. Currently been waiting 4 hours to get luggage off the plane. Would file a missing bag request and have it delivered like the customer service managers suggest, but since I'm burying my grandmother on Monday I would rather like the suit that is in the bag, and they can't guarantee delivery within 24 hours....

What a shit show. Bleh.

I'm very sorry to hear that. That blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2022, 06:17:13 PM »
Annnnd this was the wrong thread. D'oh.