Author Topic: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 13: 72 Seasons)  (Read 13806 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 3: Master of Puppets)
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2022, 10:33:40 PM »
Master of Puppets - 1986
Tracklisting: 1. Battery. 2. Master of Puppets. 3. The Thing That Should Not Be. 4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium). 5. Disposable Heroes. 6. Leper Messiah. 7. Orion. 8. Damage Inc.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Lq2qX3hYhiuPckC8Flj21?si=W12_z_uJTX-xZQ5R0tXuQQ

The rest of 1984 and much of 1985 saw Metallica on the road, playing shows in support of Ride the Lightning. This saw them playing with a lot of different bands like Armored Saint, Exodus, Marillion and even Bon Jovi. It was a great success for them  at the time. Fans were showing up and ready for more, more, more!

By June of 1985, Metallica found themselves, once again, in Copenhagen with Fleming Rasmussen at the helm, though he wasn’t the only name considered to produce the second album. Kinda conveniently, seeing as though we’ve just passed 21/12, at one stage Geddy Lee was in talks to produce the third album but had to back out due to commitments to the Power Windows tour. I have to wonder what that would’ve sounded like had it come to be.

By the time Metallica played at the Metal Hammer Festival in September of 1985, new songs were ready to trickle out. First to be played was Disposable Heroes, a longer track unlike any on the album. Come New Year’s Eve and it was time to unveil a song that has rarely been left out since. Master of Puppets.

On March 3rd, 1986, the world was unprepared for the domination that was about to be laid upon them. Fans picked up their copies of the new record, took it home and laid their stylus on Side A. 
They would never be the same again.

The sounds of acoustic guitars filled the room, a short chord progression followed by a beautiful melody and build upon with beautiful harmonies. And then the room erupted as this simple acoustic sound was taken over by the sound of heavy electric guitars, bass and drums. And then it all came crashing down into that galloping main riff. BATTERY! Man, this is one of their best opening songs ever. Lyrics about anger and control over a musical backing that screams metal. The chorus, simple but oh so fun to scream along to. This song also has one touch that I kinda wish more Metallica songs had done, by leading back into the intro as the breakdown riff. Kirk’s solo here is in fine form, he’s clearly even been getting better since Ride the Lightning. And damn! That heavy pounding riff that brings us out of the instrumental section, man. So killer! This is easily one of the best openers to a Metallica album and in revisiting this one, I’m wondering if the opener that I view as my favourite will hold up in the end.

But, for as great of an album opener as it is, nothing prepares you for the title track. A song that many see as Metallica’s magnum opus, or their most overrated song of the 80s. Master of Puppets. If you’re a super new fan if Metallica’s, as in you discovered them this year, it’s this song you likely heard first thanks to Eddie Munson’s heroics! This song is about the power of addiction and being unable to stop until it ends up killing you. This song kinda stuck the landing then, coz this is one of the songs that will forever stick in the minds of fans everywhere, thanks in no small part to the two words. Master! Master!
As one of Metallica’s first super extended songs, I really admire how refined this is already. Offering up the beautiful midsection after the second chorus allows the ears a breather before that breakdown smacks you over the head with it’s immense chugging. Also, I believe this may be James’ first released solo and we just gotta love that. This song takes so many twists and turns, and they’re all great. I also really like the little reference to Bowie in here, no doubt a Cliff influence. If you don’t know what I’m referring to, compare the riff at 6:20 to David Bowie’s Andy Warhol. It’s mind shattering how such a nothing song in Bowie’s career can be one of the coolest moments on a Metallica song this huge. This is truly one of the most essential listens for any new Metallica fans. This defines much of the 80s era to me.

As I mentioned in the Ride the Lightning review, The Call of Ktulu started something of an anthology in the Metallica catalogue, being songs based off of the works of HP Lovecraft. The Thing That Should Not Be is the second song in this anthology, and also the first song they ever tuned down for. The lyrics here aren’t so much based upon any one book of Lovecraft’s works, but makes many references to recurring themes and characters within. In terms of composition though, this is actually a really interesting one in the catalogue with it’s half clean, half distorted verses. I really like the prechoruses a lot here, as I find the chorus itself to be heavy but a little dull as a proper chorus. I do love the harmonic lick in Kirk’s solo here though, and I find that the ambient whammy sounds before the third verse remind me a lot of Cliff’s aggressive effects in Ktulu. The final chug jam is kinda cool and I love the flanged scratching sound that pan around in the headphones.

Closing out side A, once again, is our ballad for the album. While I praised Fade to Black as likely being their best ballad, I’m putting it out there right now that Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is my favourite Metallica ballad and one of my most favourite songs overall. Starting with such a great, almost ambient, intro (which actually features a piano to thicken out that low E note) before progressing into one of the coolest clean riffs Metallica ever created. The song is somewhat inspired by One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, with our protagonist being stuck in a sanitarium. The solos and riffs here are what it’s all about for me here, but I definitely love James’ melodic approach to the vocals on this one maybe moreso than on Fade where it seemed like he was struggling to keep it clean. Kirk’s melodic soloing in the verses are great too. But man, it all kicks off after that second chorus. The backhalf of this song is most of the reason I love this song so much. That offset hammer-on riff is so cool and the harmony section that builds up into the ending of the song is one of my favourite moments ever in a Metallica song. With M72 being touted as a “no repeat weekend” tour, this is the one song that I’d be kinda keen to see that promise not kept for. I do find it interesting that the title of the song is technically Welcome Home with Sanitarium being the subtitle.I dkn’t  think I’ve ever heard anyone actually refer to this as Welcome Home.

Unlike with Ride the Lightning though, that’s kinda it for the best known songs off of this album. Where Ride kept Creeping Death until second to last, Master of Puppets seems to front load most of it’s biggest songs. Which means for us that we get to dive a little deeper now.

Opening the second half of the album and joining the ever expanding war themed roster, we have Disposable Heroes. Man, this song doesn’t pretend. This is heavy from the word go, with a crushingly heavy intro riff that turns into a quick semi-overture of our verse riff (with the progression of the chorus as a lead) and our pre-chorus. It’s actually really cool how this is set out to me. The lyrics of Disposable Heroes really set out the horrors of war and the draft system. The layout of this one would later be reused to great effect, but we’ll cross that when we get to Hardwired. I actually really love the expanded format this song takes on, where nothing ever quite feels like too much but you still get the full length of it. The highlight here is definitely the bridge and solo section. The vocals in the bridge remind me of Trapped Under Ice with the call and response feel. The solo here is another of Kirk’s best and I really like the repeated motif that gets harmonised on.
I was lucky enough to see this one live on the World Magnetic tour’s second night in Perth. The structure was altered slightly, with the second bridge (post solo) and the playoff of the last chorus being skipped. It made the song a little shorter, but I think it worked. You can hear that exact version right here (https://soundcloud.com/officialmetallica/disposable-heroes-live-october?ref=clipboard&p=i&c=0&si=FA98B336063644709472830F61BB2236&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing)
This is also a song that was reworked into an acoustic version and I kinda like that a lot too as it’s own entity. While we aren’t covering the Helping Hands live album in this deep dive, I’d recommend checking that version out (https://open.spotify.com/track/3cClZLOM7hI85vz4Qzn55V?si=ZPCBUpo-SIuzpnbWGVAwpA)

Onto a song about televangelists and false religion, Leper Messiah. I think this is a great song, though it can easily be argued as the weakest song on the album (not a belief I share btw). I really like the little stabs in the intro, I think the verse riff is pretty great, the chorus is heavy and the lyrics are well written. You really get the idea of how influential the Leper Messiah is over his followers. The bridge section is really the best part of the song again for me though. Featuring a riff that Dave Mustaine reckons he wrote (and there’s bugger all evidence to support that claim) and a nice short solo, it’s another highlight section in an album chock full of them. Despite it not being my least favourite track on the album, I feel like it’s the one I have the least to say about.

But then, we get to the other masterpiece on this album. Cliff’s legacy, Orion. It’s hard to put into words how amazing of a song this is. There are two main riffs and the amazing interlude, three guitar solos and a bass solo, plus plenty of bass leads to go around. Everything here so perfectly encapsulates where Metallica were musically, with the bridge reflecting their more melodic side as seen in Fade and Sanitarium and the harmonies as displayed in Master. I don’t have enough to say about this song because it is so difficult to encapsulate the feeling of how this song sounds going through your headphones in a dark room with your eyes closed. It’s breathtaking. This is beyond a trace of doubt Metallica’s best instrumental and I don’t think it will ever quite be topped. Even the fade-out on this one comes at the right time and lands fairly perfectly. One piece of trivia I can bring up is the fact that this actually used to be the extended instrumental ending to what later became Sanitarium. There is a version of this original demo available on YouTube, called Only Thing. It’s actually kinda cool to hear how these songs would’ve connected and I’d be up to hear a Jew version of Sanitarium live that reconnected these maybe? Check it out here ( https://youtu.be/BPkhkr8xb7I )
I also saw this one on the same show as Disposable and, while it wasn’t perfect, it was astonishing to witness live in the flesh. Through the Never also contains a great live version of it, but we’ll address that when we get there.

The album comes to a close with one of the heaviest songs the band had released up to this point. Opening with an ambient intro, reportedly composed by Cliff, it all comes crashing down into one of the most no BS riffs in Metallica’s history. This is Damage Inc., an ode to senseless violence and absolute destruction. This is the first song with multiple uses of explicit language in the Metallica catalogue and, let’s be honest, at this point you’re all for it. There is a phrase in this song that probably needs to be addressed here, as it will be coming up again. “Fuck it all and fucking no regrets, never happy endings on the se dark sets”. Why bring it up? Well, we’ll get there. As is the case with about 95z of the album, it all comes down to that bridge with it’s absolute belter of a riff to bring it on home. Not my favourite album closer, but it’s certainly up there.

So, that’s Master of Puppets. Damn! What an album! I had a lot of fun going through this one again, and it really puts into perspective once again why so many feel that this is Metallica’s best album. I love them all, or at least qualities of each, so it’s hard to say if this truly is the best thing they ever did. While I have a personal favourite other than this one, this is really an album that I have a great time with every time it comes on. Yeah, there are some songs that aren’t the best, but you take the good and the bad and you get something truly worth coming back to time and again.

You know I have to rate this a 10. I think you’d all probably lynch me if I didn’t rate it a 10. If you din’t agree though, I’m looking forward to discussing it with you further between here and Wednesday when we have our first extra material deep dive.

I was thinking about this the other day as well. If I had one word to describe each of the albums, what would I say? Kill ‘Em All is infancy. Ride the Lightning is progression and I feel like Master of Puppets would be ascension, because this one is where they started to become more known. This one got them massively on the radar, moreso than Ride the Lightning. This album saw the band go on tour and blow Ozzy Osbourne out of the water.

It’s unfortunately also the end of an era…
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 11:44:08 PM by Deadeye21 »
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2022, 01:04:36 AM »
MOP was the first Metallica album I bought so the album art and overall vibe is a huge milestone in my brain.

There's a bunch of ground covered. Battery and Damage are absolute metal monsters. The title track and Orion are prog-tastic in a Maiden-y kind of way. Heroes is good too.

There are a few factors that put it behind RTL and Justice for me, though:

TTTSNB is dull (To Live Is To Die did that kind of thing much better). Sanitarium is very similar to Fade but without the emotion - lyrically a bit silly and throwaway too. Heroes and Messiah are fine but I have no real desire to hear them anymore. These feel kinda nitpicky but:

My one solid complaint is the sound. It's such a weird EQ. It somehow has never felt loud or direct to me. I like that it feels a bit polished but there's just not enough crunch or grind for me. Whilst RTL felt like it was punching me about, this feels like it's in next door's garden. Not sure how to put it.

I love James vocals are on it. He really sounds fantastic throughout. He's so listenable and but tight and aggressive at the same time. No other HEAVY vocalist ever really touched him.

The intricacy of the music was also impressive throughout. Justice was too, in a different way, but this had many more nuances. I guess this is down to the Cliff factor but I would like to see them delve into that again, but doubt they ever will.

It's a huge album in the metal catalogue. HUGE.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2022, 06:43:31 AM »
I mean, what an album!

This was the third Metallica album I became obsessed with, and every song on the album (bar Leper Messiah) has been my number 1 favourite, at some point in time. It's so consistently great. Although I agree the first side is slightly better, the second side is pretty much flawless.

This album holds a particularly special place in my heart because my first live Metallica experience was Download Festival 2006, where they played MOP, in it's entirety, to mark 20 years since it's release! It's scary to think it's now almost 20 years since 2006  :|

That first live Metallica show is the single greatest live experience of my life. They played 2 songs before the stage went black and they played a short video stating they were playing MOP. I lost my shit, it was like I had an out of body experience.

When the intro to Battery started this pit slowly started to open, mainly me and my buddy opening it. When that riff kicked in I felt as though I experienced it from above, watching it happen below me. I was a man Possessed. I was truly in the moment, and when the song finished it dawned on me "oh shit, now their going to play MOP!". Each song came like that, fully in the moment, then the realisation of what was coming next. I've never felt a rush like it. Fuck, I wish I could relive that.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2022, 06:55:01 AM »
This album holds a particularly special place in my heart because my first live Metallica experience was Download Festival 2006, where they played MOP, in it's entirety, to mark 20 years since it's release! It's scary to think it's now almost 20 years since 2006  :|

That first live Metallica show is the single greatest live experience of my life. They played 2 songs before the stage went black and they played a short video stating they were playing MOP. I lost my shit, it was like I had an out of body experience.

When the intro to Battery started this pit slowly started to open, mainly me and my buddy opening it. When that riff kicked in I felt as though I experienced it from above, watching it happen below me. I was a man Possessed. I was truly in the moment, and when the song finished it dawned on me "oh shit, now their going to play MOP!". Each song came like that, fully in the moment, then the realisation of what was coming next. I've never felt a rush like it. Fuck, I wish I could relive that.

Lucky bastard. You Europeans get everything cool!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2022, 08:30:48 AM »
Master! Master! a metal masterpiece!  Many say it's the greatest thrash album of all time or even the greatest metal album of all time.  It's hard to argue with those statements, as this album lives up to the billing.  It was the first Metallica album I owned.  A friend's older brother gave me his older copy, and it started my journey into the world of metal.

Battery - Another great intro that shifts into a thrash masterpiece.  Dat main riff  :metal  The version from Seattle '89 is pretty
              much the greatest thing on Youtube.  I hate that they skip the bridge live now, really sux!

Master of Puppets - The main riff is another of metal's greatest.  The middle section is incredible leading up to Kirk's awesome
                             solo.  Love the outro with the laughing.  This song takes you on an epic journey.

The Thing That Should Not Be - The weakest track on the album for me, but I still enjoy it.  Super heavy and dark.  It grew on
                                               when they started playing it again in the late '90s.

Sanitarium - Another great ballad (I prefer Fade though).  Love the harmony part and how it picks up leading into Kirk's solo. 
                   Anyone remember Mastertarium from late '90's shows? That was kinda fun.

Disposable Heroes - Another epic song here.  Love the main gallop riff.  I play it often on guitar to warm up my picking hand. 
                             Kirk has another great solo here, and I love the false ending at the end.

Leper Messiah - Nice chunky, heavy riffs that lead into another awesome bridge section.  James sounds so pissed off here.

Orion - My 2nd favorite Metallica instrumental.  So epic, and the middle section is really beautiful.

Damage Inc - Closes the album out with a banger.  The bridge riff is another favorite.

Great album from start to finish, I just happen to like AJFA just a little bit more than this one, but I'll discuss that next...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2022, 09:54:11 AM »
Each of the first 4 Metallica albums became by favorite, and this one was certainly no different. Upon hearing the acoustic intro, I KNEW what to expect this time and was all ready for the great headbanging riffs. I can still remember clearly many of the reviews of this album in mags like Metal Mania, Kerrang, etc and everyone was going apeshit. 1986 may have been the greatest year every for thrash as Slayer, Megadeth, Kreator and Dark Angel all released iconic albums that year.

Disposable Heroes for me is absolutely one of Metallica's most underrated gems, it does pretty everything MoP does but also heavier and faster. Leper Messiah is killer as well, so heavy.

And the tour! Between this tour and the Justice tour the band was at their absolute raging peak, James live on stage was otherworldly with his energy and ferocity. Just amazing.

While this ranks slightly below RTL for me, it certainly deserves all the praise and accolades it gets  :metal.

Disposable Heroes
Damage Inc
Battery
Master of Puppets
Leper Messiah
Orion
Sanitarium
Thingy
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 06:49:38 AM by Dream Team »

Offline DTA

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »
Puppets is perfect. I prefer Load and RTL to it, but I cannot deny that is their most perfect statement and the songs are exceptionally composed.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2022, 11:05:49 AM »
It’s okay I guess.

:biggrin:

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
Puppets is perfect. I prefer Load and RTL to it, but I cannot deny that is their most perfect statement and the songs are exceptionally composed.
I thought I’d be coming through with the hot takes, but here it is starting already. Looking forward to having that discussion with you, but we’ve ten years of MetHistory to go yet.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2022, 10:00:59 PM »
I'm a bit late to talking about RTL in detail, but better late then never! I was unsure which of the first two albums I prefer, but after giving it some thought, I'm gonna go with Ride the Lightning. The main reason being that I think there's more variety; the fast, in-your-face metal is still there, but every song is distinct in some way. "Fight Fire With Fire" has an acoustic intro before going into possibly the most intense track on the album, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" has a long intro and slower tempo. "Fade to Black" starts off as a ballad and has somber lyrics rather than the angry or aggressive lyrics they usually have. "The Call of Ktulu" is an instrumental track. Every song on here is very good, and much more consistent in quality than Kill 'Em All. (At this time, my favorite Metallica song is still The Four Horsemen, though.)

Song rankings:

1. Fight Fire With Fire - I love how intense this song gets after the also great acoustic guitar intro. It's all the best qualities of Kill 'Em All taken up a notch.
2. Fade to Black - This ballad is executed very well, which is particularly impressive seeing as this is the first time that the band's tried something like this (well, as far as I know, anyway). I love the melancholic tone to this song.
3. Trapped Under Ice - This one feels most reminiscent of the songs from KEA, and it ranks up with the better songs off that album. The frantic, uneasy feel of this song is great!
4. Ride the Lightning - I think the vocals are the highlight of this song. Hetfield does an excellent job of portraying the fear and anticipation the prisoner in this song is feeling, especially in the "Someone help me" parts.
5. Creeping Death - The lyrics give this song an ominous vibe. My favorite part of the song is the chorus.
6. Escape - The music isn't anything special, but I really like the lyrics.
7. The Call of Ktulu - A pretty good instrumental track. There's some pretty cool stuff here, though not all of the song has stuck in my memory.
8. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Good song, but easily my least favorite of this album. There's not really anything wrong with it, I think maybe I'm just not as into it because of the relatively slower tempo. I quite like the chorus, though!

I shall begin listening to Master Puppets soon! I remember the title track being one of my favorites from the last marathon I did, so I'm excited to see how this whole album goes.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Bonus Chapter: Garage Days Re-Revisited)
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2022, 06:31:52 AM »
Ah, what the hey, let’s do the first bonus chapter early.

The $5.98 EP: Garage Days Re-Revisited - 1987
Tracklisting: 1. Helpless. 2. The Small Hours. 3. The Wait. 4. Crash Course in Brain Surgery. 5. Last Caress/Green Hell.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6E7Zkpk31fHefblsiMmWdH?si=9g9OZ-UzTRS38sZv9RHblA

September 1986, Ljungby, Sweden.
It should’ve been a day like any other. Get off the bus, soundcheck, gig, get back in the bus and go to the next stop.  That night, Kirk Hammett and Cliff Burton played a friendly game of cards for their choice of bunk onboard. Winning with a draw of the ace of spades, Cliff opted to take Kirk’s top bunk. Defeated, Kirk settled for sleeping up front. In the early hours of that morning, the band awoke to the bus rocking side to side before the bus abruptly landed on it’s side. James, Lars and Kirk joined the crew outside, safely. But not everyone was accounted for. Beneath the bus lay the (at least) unconscious body of Cliff, who had been thrown out the window as the bus jerked. Help arrived on scene and a crane was called to lift the bus, but alas it slipped and the bus fell on top of Cliff’s body. Its unknown which impact did it, but one thing was grimly certain. Cliff was gone.

Cliff was cremated and his ashes were scattered at a ranch in Castro Valley, California. Fittingly, Orion was played at the service. But, what to do now for Metallica? Their future was unclear, but dates were booked and they knew they had to keep going. They were convinced that it’s what Cliff would have wanted. Across the next month, 50 different musicians were considered and auditioned, including Les Claypool, David Ellefson and Greg Christian amongst them all. Metallica were sure to include Cliff’s parents in the decision making process. And it all came down to one man, with whom they would spend their next 15 years. Enter, Jason Newsted. Jason joined the Damage, Inc. tour in November of 1986, with his first show being at the Reseda Country Club on November 8th.

With the tour raging on into 1987, Metallica were invited to play the  the Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donnington in England. Their record label in the UK, Vertigo, requested that the band release some new music to commemorate the occasion. While the band did seek to bring out some new material, James broke his arm during the course of the tour as a result of a skateboarding accident and couldn’t contribute much to writing. However, one demo was produced from the era that would later prove to yield results (more on that in the next episode). When James’ arm healed, there wasn’t much time left to produce a true successor to Master of Puppets, so the band resolved to record an EP of covers that they loved. Given Newted’s prior experience as a construction worker, Lars’ garage in El Cerrito was soundproofed and turned into a makeshift studio.

Though some early contenders eventually didn’t make the cut (including Parallex’s White Lightning, Signal Fire by Bow Wow and Gaskin’s I’m No Fool), five songs eventually culminated into the release of their first release with the new lineup. The $5.98 EP, subtitled Garage Days Re-Revisited as a reference to the two B-Sides of the Creeping Death single (which I may have skipped while talking about the first two albums, but are definitely going to be focal points of the Garage Inc. discussion). Following the fashion that Metallica had adopted following the rise of the PMRC, this EP shipped with a sticker on it that stated “If they try to charge you more, STEAL IT!!”
(I also neglected to mention the famous sticker from Master of Puppets which read, and I quote, “The only track you probably won't want to play is Damage, Inc. due to the multiple use of the infamous F word. Otherwise, there aren't any Shits, Fucks, Pisses, Cunts, Motherfuckers, or Cocksuckers anywhere on this record”).

Alright, I think we’ve spent enough time talking about the history of this one and all the things I forgot on the last few, let’s get going.

This EP is full of studio outtakes as well as the actual songs, which I really love. The first track actually opens with James humming a bit of a tune and Lars bellowing something or other in the background, before the studio hum cuts out and we’re introduced to our first drum groove of the EP. This is Helpless, another great display of Metallica showing off their Diamond Head fandom. The original was released on Diamond Head’s 1980 album, Lightning to the Nations.  This song fits in well with lyrics like Hit the Lights and Whiplash about giving it your all on stage. I love the tone that Metallica have on this song, compared to the original. I think it’s pretty cool how Jason gets a bit of a spotlight on his first track with the band (even if that is because it was in the original track). The filter effect that he uses sounds great too. The “bridge” section is played petty differently to the original, but I think I prefer what Metallica did with it. Kirk’s solo is great and then we get a really cool fade-out. And then we get another outtake with Lars deciding when to stop recording. Helpless has seen a lot of live performances over the years, but it’s pretty rare to find a version that doesn’t cut straight from the second chorus into the solo. I believe it may have only been done in full when members of Diamond Head have joined the band on stage for the song.

Up next, the “scary” song. The Small Hours, originally released by Holocaust on their Hot Curry and Wine album back in 1983. Here’s the weird thing, I went back to listen to the Holocaust version, and I can actually kinda hear James Hetfield from the Kill ‘Em All era mixed with Lars’ voice  a little bit. It’s actually really uncanny. So, what do Metallica do differently? Well, their version is a bit heavier with the Metallica tone, but there are a few whammy bar tricks and lead breaks taken out. I think Metallica’s version might be slightly faster in the verses, but it’s way thrasher in the solo section, which I like. Kirk’s solo is definitely better than the original, but I keep complimenting Kirk in this era so, not really a surprise? I feel like everything is a lot more defined in the Metallica version, but that’s probably a lot to do with the change of studio vs live. This is one I actually really like, but it sure doesn’t see a lot of play.

The third song, The Wait, was originally penned by Killing Joke for their self-titled album in 1980. Killing Joke’s version definitely feels a whole smoother than Metallica’s does, with the intro being played on a keyboard. The thing is, the Killing Joke version feels very English Punk with a little bit of pop from the synthesisers, where Metallica’s version takes the source material and makes it into a proper Metallica song. There are so many great moments that Metallica added into their version, like the pre-solo melody and the solos, that really change this song up for the better. I have to hand it to James for taking the original staccato vocal and trying to create a melody out of it. I also really like the effect of James’ vocals. I think Jason sticks out a bit on this one at times and I like what he’s doing. Ditto to Lars, there are a few moments of some really cool drumming here, especially in the choruses. Sometimes, a cover is much stronger and this one is no exception. This one does get around a little more since Robert Trujillo joined the band and actually made it to the main set of the Mexico City shows that we’ll talk about before too long.

Up next is the oldest song in our collection for this evening, Crash Course in Brain Surgery by Budgie. Yeah, look, this one is rough as hell. The one good change that Metallica made was giving Jason the intro. There’s some weird shit of them sounding like they’re absolutely drunk between some stabs. They’ve tuned this one down from the original and slowed it down which makes it just sound a tad darker than the feel I get from the original. Since I really don’t have much to say about this one coz I think it’s pretty easily the worst song on the EP, I used to think the last line of the first verse “knife of words is driving me insane” was “Tiger Woods is driving me insane” for the longest time. I was fairly young when I first heard the song though. Well, this is my least favourite of the EP by far, but I look forward to seeing how I feel about it on Garage Inc. when we get there. This song was played once ever when the EP was released and then never saw the light of day again in a Metallica setlist.

Closing us out is actually a medley of two Misfits songs, Last Caress and Green Hell from the Beware EP. Well, I got something to say. Metallica’s version feels like it’s pretty much just a faster version of the original. I think Metallica’s version is actually a hair closer to being in tune. Last Caress became a pretty big deal for Metallica throughout the late 80s and 90s, but has been a bit less played since the Madly In Anger tour ended. Green Hell, on the other hand, has only been played 11 times total since the EP came out. This one was held back for almost two years after the fact. Since it’s appeared on multiple DVDs, we can talk about Last Caress a bit more later as we get there. As for this version, we get a fairly out of tune version of Run to the Hills, done just as a bit of a gag. It’s kinda fun but also super grating on the ear.

And that’s Garage Days Re-Revisited. I’m not gonna rate it, as it feels like that would be a little unfair. It’s pretty solid, but it’s also not all that impressive. It’s got really rough edges, but it was never meant to be as polished as a true follow up to Master of Puppets should’ve been. I like what’s on offer though and this can be fun to go back to.

This EP helped to bridge the gap between the Cliff era and all that was about to be unleashed. But, we’ll talk about that on Friday. Conveniently, their last album of the 80s will also be our last album of 2022. See ya then!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2022, 06:55:16 AM »
By the way, I hope you all had a great Christmas! I actually received the Master of Puppets Tour Pop Vinyl set which I really love. Hope you all got some cool stuff if you observe it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2022, 07:10:49 AM »
Nice review.

I love this EP (and Crash Course is one of my favourites - The Wait is my only skipper).

As my love for Metallica cooled over the following decades, this EP revealed a side to them that I adore still - an incredible covers band! I wasn't aware of the b sides to the singles up to this point and it blew my mind when I started listening to them too.

Funny to me is how/why a huge band can be a great covers band. Maiden, in contrast, are really NOT a great covers band, afaic.

I'd be delighted to get another EP of covers from The Metallicats.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2022, 07:24:03 AM »
Master of Puppets is probably my second favorite behind Justice.  Those two flip-flop often, but it's one of their best records from start to finish.  I have vivid memories of getting this record when I was 13 - I'd bring my little boombox CD player outside, plug it in on the front doorstep and BLAST the album while we played basketball at the end of the driveway, treating the neighbors to copies amounts of FUCK IT ALL AND FUCKING NO REGRETS!  DON'T FUCK WITH RAZORBACK! 

Garage Days is a great set of songs, but I was never able to find the original EP in the early 90's.  There were a bunch of bootlegs, with bonus tracks of black album demos and those era's cover songs, but the prices were way too high for my broke, teenage self.  I did buy a compilation called The Complete Garage Days, which had all of their cover songs from KEA-TBA, plus the Motorhead live sets (basically disc 2 of Garage Inc, well before that was ever released).  Before I found that, I would sit up late at night and listen to the local radio station's Mandatory Metallica sets.  If they played a cover song that I didn't have, I'd jump up and record the song from the radio onto a cassette tape, so I could at least have a copy.  Metallica was my favorite band during those years and I tried to collect as much as I could with a limited budget.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2022, 07:29:49 AM »
Master of Puppets is probably my second favorite behind Justice.  Those two flip-flop often, but it's one of their best records from start to finish.  I have vivid memories of getting this record when I was 13 - I'd bring my little boombox CD player outside, plug it in on the front doorstep and BLAST the album while we played basketball at the end of the driveway, treating the neighbors to copies amounts of FUCK IT ALL AND FUCKING NO REGRETS!  DON'T FUCK WITH RAZORBACK! 

Garage Days is a great set of songs, but I was never able to find the original EP in the early 90's.

These are the stories I share these writeups to receive!

Also, this EP was out of print between 89 and 2018, so that’s why you could never find it.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2022, 02:56:03 PM »
The whole EP is great. I only ever heard the songs as part of the Garage Inc album, but regardless, some of my favourite Metallica songs.

I remember picking up Garage Inc (on fucking cassette!) at a car boot sale, in early 2004. I was skint back then and my minidisc player had broken, so I had a cheap Walkman for on the move listening. I basically put all my Metallica albums on cassette, as it was mainly what I was listening to at this time!

I think I've said before, but I went on holiday to Scotland with an ex girlfriend and her family, in early 2004. All I listened to for that whole week was Garage Inc, and I just fell I love with the whole album. For me it was the first time I'd ever heard of bands like Diamond Head, Misfits, Killing Joke, Mercyful Fate etc. Metallica really owned all these covers, and I can't think of a single one where I prefer the original (OK, maybe Last Caress).

I'll talk about the rest ofthe Garage Inc songs when we get to them, but as for these 5, I'd rank as follows...

1. Helpless
2. The Wait
3. Last Caress/Green Hell
4. The Small Hours
5. Crash Course in Brain Surgery

These songs have been played equally, if not more than some of their studio tracks, and for good reason. They feel different, like how creepy is The Small Hours, whilst still being Metallica.

Helpless starts off strong, and what better band to cover than one of their biggest influences.

The Small Hours is creepy, brooding and had such a different sounding chorus, it's just fucking cool. I love how it picks up at the 4 minute mark and goes in a different direction again.

Saddened to see less love for The Wait. I think the main riff in this is amazing and they do a great job of making this their own. The effects on James' vocals are great, just all around perfection. Anyone remember this being on the School of Rock soundtrack?

Crash Course is probably the only song I listened to less. It's good but definitely not on the same level as the others.

Lastly the Misfits cover. I'm pretty sure Metallica helped relaunch interest in the band and definitely helped them gain even greater notoriety (as plenty of other bands they covered). Without these covers it would've taken me way longer to check out these bands. It's a cool cover for sure, and a good choice to combine two songs together.

I think this helps showcase how incredible Metallica were at picking cover songs, and making them sound even better. Also, how ironic is it that Jason's bass is so audible on this EP.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2022, 02:57:25 PM »
Edit - double post

Offline billboy73

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2022, 09:50:55 AM »
Love each of these covers, and Metallica definitely make them their own (drunken bellowing in place of the "ooh baby" on Crash Course).  I love the loose feel of the production as well, and it just adds to what makes this a fun EP.

I found the original vinyl in a dollar bin in the late 90's at a Flea Market.  What a find!

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter Four: …And Justice For All)
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2022, 09:28:15 PM »
…And Justice For All - 1988
Tracklisting: 1. Blackened. 2. …And Justice For All. 3. Eye of the Beholder. 4. One. 5. The Shortest Straw. 6. Harvester of Sorrow. 7. The Frayed Ends of Sanity. 8. To Live Is To Die. 9. Dyers Eve.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6jZ1z25PyF4Yd3kHxt9rl1?si=qhuDB44sS0yHHNKo_4jfJA

…And so, Metallica went back on the road with the European leg of the Monsters of Rock festival, which lasted until the end of August of 1987. From there, the band finally found time to take a short break. In all the chaos that had been the last few years, they had sure earned one. Metallica changed record label onto Phonogram Records, now managed by Peter Mensch, for a tidy £1,000,000.

In January of 1988, Metallica found themselves at One on One Studios in LA with a producer named Mike Clink. They had wanted to use Fleming Rasmussen again, but he had proven unavailable for their planned start date of January 1st. Clink had attracted Metallica’s attention through producing Appetite For Destruction the previous year. However, plans quickly deteriorated. Rasmussen became available 3 weeks into the project, and of course Metallica wanted him after his success on Ride and Master. Rasmussen listened to Clink’s rough mixes on his flight to Los Angeles and when he arrived at the studio, Clink was promptly fired. Clink is credited with engineering drums on Harvester of Sorrow and The Shortest Straw, as well as production on the two cover songs that would be released as B-Sides on the singles from this era.

The band recorded the songs in a live room, recording each instrument separately. Each song was made up of three reels of tape; one for drums, one for bass and guitars and one for any additional tracks, including the vocals. James wrote his parts during the recording sessions, with a few lyrics being unfinished as vocal tracking started. Speaking of the vocals, James opted to go with less of a singing approach and more “yelling in tune”, wanting to have a “hard vibe”. Jason, on the other hand, recorded alone with only the assistant producer present. He felt that the process with Metallica was odd. Of course, we all know how that one turned out.

Getting the elephant out of the room, the mix on Justice is very sterile. As the mix wasn’t under Rasmussen’s control, but rather given to Steve Thompson and Steve Barbiero, the usual Metallica production wasn’t there. Instead, the drum tracks only used the close mics without any room mics, leading to a very “clicky” sound. Then, of course, there’s the bass… or I guess, there ISN’T the bass. At the request of Hetfield and Ulrich, the bass was practically muted. Upon hearing the initial mixes of the album, Thompson and Barbiero were told “take the mix down to where you can barely hear it anymore, and then drop it another 3 dB”. Very few people have ever heard Jason’s recorded basslines from the album, though Rasmussen has gine on record as saying that they were incredible.

With recording bing finished in May 1st, 1988, Metallica went on tour once more with the Monsters of Rock tour of 1988, which took place between May 27th and July 30th. The tour featured one new song, Harvester of Sorrow. It was released as the first single from the album in August 28th, roughly a week before the album was officially released on September 7th. 

So, we know that it sounds a bit wonky production wise, but how does …And Justice For All itself sound? Let’s go through it.

Starting on one of the cooler tricks in the production here, Blackened opens with a reversed guitar harmony before laying it on thick with the aggression. You can hear the original here if you’re interested ( https://youtu.be/YJ1vCidA53c ). The main riff here is exceptional, one of my favourite mains from the album actually. Blackened is a song expressing the concerns about the state of the environment. It’s heavy as hell and almost reads as a lyric of nuclear war, it really could be taken either way. This follows in the footsteps of many of the songs from Master of Puppets where the bridge is one of the best sections of the song. The single word and echo really hits hard! After the bridge, we get a great melody that builds into a harmony that builds into the start of the solo, it’s actually a really great evolving section. The solo is great, I love how we get a full reset back into the main body of the song. I also really like the way that the main riff gets changed in it’s timing right before the final verse. I can’t tell if it’s James and Kirk changing it up or if it’s Lars’ drumming that changes, but it’s really cool all the same. The ending of the song is a little bit abrupt though. All up, this is an amazing song. I just don’t know if it’s this or Battery that I find to be the more perfect album opener. And it certainly deserved to be the start of Jason’s first album with the band. This was his first (of three total, but we’ll get there) songwriting credits with the band and was actually the song that was written for what would turn into Garage Days Re-Revisited (told you it’d come up later!)

…And Justice For All has to be my favourite intro on the album. Starting so peaceful and tranquil, then building into the aggression, but with moments of harmony within? It’s HUGE! However, straight off the bat, we gotta talk about the fact that this one seems to be a bit clipped in the production stages. You can really hear it throughout various stages of the whole song  and it’s rather overpowering. The lyrics here are about political corruption and money basically turning the tides of justice legally. It’s also a song that, while being close to ten minutes long, paces itself very well and doesn’t drag too much anywhere. While I’m not a huge fan of the proper solo section on this one, I love the melodic lead just before it and the re-intro that forms the bridge of the song is such a cool section. It feels like they took one of my favourite tricks from Battery and really expanded upon it here. The song ends up with a great playoff out of the final chorus, I especially like the way the last line of the chorus is reincorporated as part of the outro, just to drive the point home. If it wasn’t for the production errors, I feel like this would be one of my absolute favourites in the Metallica catalog. These days though, I find it hard to really go back and listen to the album version when there are a handful of great live performances I can turn to instead.

The next song is one that Lars absolutely hates, Eye of the Beholder. Despite that, it was actually released as the second single at the end of October 1988. We open on an extended fade-in, before that rhythm evolves into our main riff. The lyrics here are about freedom of speech and civil liberties seeming to be snuffed out a little at the time. It seems rather poignant with the major events in America in the last few years. The problem is, apart from the chorus with it’s freedom breakups, this song is actually a little bit of a filler track to me. It’s certainly not the strongest thing here, it’s probably the weakest actually. I like the play around with the main riff that starts the instrumental section, but even then it’s a bit of a hit and a miss. The harmony is cool though.

What failings Eye of the Beholder had are soon swept under the rug though. As had become tradition over the last few albums and wouldn’t be ending anytime soon (actually, I think there’s only been 3 albums to date that have broken this tradition to date), the 4th track is our ballad for the album. This one starts a little differently though, with the sounds of machine gun fire and explosions before the guitars start up. A brief introduction to one of two main riffs leads into a lead break, then evolves to get the drums in there before a beautiful harmony leads into the first verse. This is One, one of the most important songs in Metallica’s arsenal. This is the first song they ever did a music video for, which again led to the feeling that Metallica were starting to become sell outs. Still, this song is an anthem for all the right reasons. This song really is everything they were up to this point personified in one song. The lyrics are heavily based around the book “Johnny Got His Gun” by Dalton Trumbo, in which a young American soldier is hit by an artillery shell in the First World War and subsequently winds up in hospital as a quadruple amputee, but also missing his ears, eyes, mouth and nose. He’s conscious through it all as well, so he continuously prays for death. The music video contains many clips from the film, which meant that Metallica had to keep paying licensing and royalty fees. In the end, they straight up bought the rights to the film and now DVD copies of the movie actually have the One music video as a bonus feature.  I read somewhere that the back half of the song, where it goes totally heavy, is based on the cycling rate of an AK-47. It’s such a killer song and if you don’t know it, you’ve been doing Metallica wrong. Kirk and Lars are at their best here, for sure. One was released as the third and final single from Justice in January of 89 and remains one of Metallica’s most played songs live to this day.

The current standings for top 5 most played Metallica songs live (since we’ve now covered them all) are Master of Puppets at 1722, Creeping Death at 1601, Seek and Destroy at 1575, For Whom The Bell Tolls at 1571 and One at 1566. I wonder how those standings will look after the M72 tour…

Anyway, back to …And Justice For All. Up next is The Shortest Straw. This is a really cool song all about blacklisting and discrimination. This is actually the song that Lars used in his anecdote about how the songwriting went for this album.  “These were our ‘CNN years’. I’d read something about blacklisting, we’d get a title, ‘The Shortest Straw’, and a song would come out of that”. And what a song it was. This song has another great intro, but it’s the main riff that I really love on this one. There’s a lot going on and it all makes for a pretty great song. I love James’ vocal line, I love the use of double bass to bring out the end of the verse. And then we get that transition into the chorus! Man, that’s a great hook. I also really love the duelling lines that almost act as a secondary chorus of their own. The build into the first solo is another fantastic instrumental section. The thing is, it feels like they weren’t all that big on bridges on this album, where Master of Puppets had been dominated by amazing ones. Here, we just get that “pulled for you” section between the two solos.
This song is one that didn’t get played live all that often, though it did get included in the list for Guitar Hero: Metallica. During the motion capture, Lars had to relearn the intro and it’s odd timings again which led to this iconic video. Watch it for the laughs, man. ( https://youtu.be/SCJajVY_ucI )

Up next, our first single. Harvester of Sorrow is the second shortest song on the album but also the slowest in tempo. Nonetheless though, it’s a great song. The main riff is super heavy, the subject matter of a man who suffered childhood abuse and ends up falling into madness and killing his own family. It’s exceptionally dark and I feel that a faster pace would not have done this song it’s due justice (pun intended!). It’s also a really well paced song, with our intro serving to really set up the main riff perfectly well. This was the first song off of the album I caught live and I’ve actually seen it twice. The instrumental section following the solo was an absolute blast to see. I like the solo on this one, though it seems Kirk has never actually played it straight live. Harvester is another one of my lower ranked songs for the album, but all up, it’s pretty decent. It’s a song that I think benefits from being performed live, which we’ll talk about a few times next year.

And now we reach the trilogy of deep cuts. Starting it off, The Frayed Ends of Sanity. This song is pretty straight up about paranoia and schizophrenia. The lyrics here do hold an interesting piece though, as it references two future songs,  The Struggle Within from the Black Album and “this nameless feeling” which isn’t too far removed from The Unnamed Feeling from St. Anger. This one is notorious for being the song Metallica held off from playing live for the longest time. James said it was “because he’d get bored playing it” but let’s be honest, these riffs are absolute bangers. There’s a lot of different changes and odd structures to the instrumental section here. This song is really dominated by the riffs more than the lyrics. And I think that’s for a good reason, as the instrumental section really is shown off as the true star of the show here. Of course, we can’t overlook the “all we own, we owe” chant that was teased for many years over many shows. It’s actually a really great song. Maybe a little overhyped when it was finally played live, but it’s a great song. A shout out to all the ticket holders for Helsinki on the Metallica By Request tour in 2014 for finally getting this one over the line and into the set.

Up next is another nearly ten minute song and the final entry in a trilogy of epic instrumentals over the first four albums, To Live Is To Die. Opening with a beautiful classical guitar intro before the heavy riffing kicks in feels symbolic of living the dream before the harsh reality kicks in. This song is a tribute to Cliff Burton, who is credited as one of the songwriters here. Some of the riffs here are taken from jams they had with Mustaine in the band and the middle section, the heartbreaker that it is, was reportedly based on a riff that was included in Cliff’s final bass solo. I love the sound of the melodic breakdown here. The effects make it sound like it could be included in a news reel and ending it off with that amazing solo by James (my second favourite solo in the entire album) is powerful stuff. 
Though this song is classed an instrumental, there is a spoken word passage. “When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this, I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?” The first line can be found in the movie Excalibur, the second can be found in the book Lord Foul’s Bane, but the second half was written entirely by Cliff.

To Live is to Die ends on the acoustic piece once more, though it is abruptly cut off as Dyers Eve begins, once again showing off the harsh reality of Cliff’s life being brought to an abrupt end. We are now into the final and shortest track of the album though, one that screams aggression from the moment it starts. This is lyrically a rant from James to his parents, who were Christian Scientists by faith and chose to “protect” their son from the outside world, which kinda just broke his world when he was finally out on his own, not at all helped by his father leaving and his mother dying at a young age. This song is pretty much the pinnacle of thrash for Metallica though. The verses are absolutely soaked in double bass and the downpicking patterns that James and Kirk are putting out at this tempo are pretty much the direct cause of RSI for many guitarists. This song has my absolute favourite solo from …And Justice For All, once again employing the use of repeated motifs that I loved so much about the solo from Disposable Heroes. This is all about aggression and you can feel the unkempt anger in James’ words all throughout.

And that’s …And Justice For All. It’s easily deserving of a place in the upper echelons of any Metallica fans album rankings. Despite all the production errors that didn’t give Jason the chance to make a proper impact on his debut album and kinda overpowered the song in spots, this is nothing shy of fantastic. There are a lot of progressive elements here and a ton of really long songs that you can feel are lashing the limits of the groundwork that their first three albums had given them, I think this is very much the upper limits of what they could do with this particular style. I give it a 9, because even with all of these issues, it’s hard to hold back on how great it truly is.

Metallica supported …And Justice For All with a huge tour that lasted from September 11th 1988 until October 8th 1989. This included their first visit to Australia, where they were one of the very first major headlining bands to ever reach Adelaide. It was their first all headlining tour ever.

Infancy, Progression, Ascension, Domination.

And that’s it for the 80s, much as this is the last writeup for 2022. I’ll see you all next week for Metallica’s big entry into the 1990’s. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2022, 10:00:43 AM »
I love Justice.  It's always been my favorite album of theirs - so angry and aggressive, with amazing riffs throughout the entire record.  I recall buying a bootleg live show simply because it had them playing Eye of the Beholder (and Leper Messiah) and I wanted live versions of the songs. 

Blackened remains my all-time favorite Metallica song, and I got to see them play it in 2000 on the Y2K Millenium mini-tour that they did.  I remember going apeshit when the intro started.  Sadly, this was around the time where they took the little bridge section out of Battery and Blackened after the solos when they would play the songs live.  I love those parts, where they come out of the solo and jam on the main riff a couple of times, but at least I got to see them play my favorite song live.

The Seattle 89 shows will always be the pinnacle of Metallica, showing the ferocity of their live playing.  I still hear Harvester of Sorrow on rock radio more often than One, which works for me! 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2022, 12:21:56 PM »
Ah... AJFA, my favorite Metallica album!  Yes the production is weird, but it works for the album.  It would be nice to have a little of Jason's bass though.  From start to finish this is an amazing album, and there is nothing here I don't like.

Blackened - Another awesome intro that goes into one of the all-time riffs!  :metal  Love the lyrics.  The bridge section leading
                  into the harmony part is so good.  It's my favorite Metallica song too!

AJFA - Another solid title track.  Love how the intro theme is repeated in the middle and how Lars builds the pace up on it.

Eye of the Beholder - I would love to hear this live again.  I was surprised they didn't play it at the 30th anniversary shows.     
                                I like the weird timing parts of this song, and Kirk has a really nice solo here.

One - The song that put them in the mainstream.  The dark video is really cool.  Obviously, the 2nd half of the song is
         incredible.  The machine gun kicks section, Kirk's memorable solo, and the harmony part all slay.

Shortest Straw - Killer main riff on this one.  Probably Kirk's craziest solo.  My 2nd favorite song on the album.

Harvester of Sorrow - A fat, heavy, and groovy tune.  Probably my least favorite song on an album full of incredible songs, so it
                                is still awesome.  Love the part were James barks "Infanticide"!

Frayed Ends of Sanity - Another killer main riff.  The whole instrumental section after the 2nd chorus is sublime, including
                                  Kirk's solo.

To Live Is to Die - My favorite of their instrumentals.  Loads of great riffs, and the middle section is incredible!  Mikael from
                          Opeth said if wasn't for the clean part, Opeth would not be around.

Dyers' Eve - What a way to end the album with this thrasher!  James spits venom on this one.  Incredible riffs!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2022, 01:33:49 AM »
Excellent album. I remember it came out on double vinyl as it was long album. Two discs in one slightly-wider-than-normal sleeve.

I have to say, I was amazed that they didn't add a "Now! With audible bass guitar!" mix when they re-released it. Amazed.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2023, 01:23:41 PM »
It’s probably safe to say the follow-up to Master of Puppets was one of the most highly anticipated metal albums of all time. Again, quickly became my favorite at the time. I LOVE the sharp snap of the snare. IMO this album is #1 for drumming, riffs, solos, and lyrics in their catalog, but some songs drag too much. Dyer’s Eve is among their most underrated songs. This era was the peak of my fandom. Still remember how excited I was getting the cassette, but not liking the 2D logo.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2023, 02:30:49 PM »
How have I not contributed to this thread yet.

Kill Em All is probably the album whose release I wish I could have been around for and plugged into the metal scene at the time for the most. I like it plenty now, but I can only imagine what it was like to drop the needle and hear Hit the Lights (one of my favorites). Four Horsemen and Seek and Destroy are iconic for a reason, though I prefer the former of the two. Anesthesia is so cool just for being on the record in the first place, and Cliff is obviously a monster player. Whiplash and Metal Militia are also highlights for me.

Ride the Lightning is an album that for a long time said I preferred to Master of Puppets, though I'm not sure I'd still say that today. It basically set the template for the classic three album run that it started. I don't understand why Fight Fire With Fire seems to be held in noticeably less esteem than Battery and Blackened, that song fucking rules :metal. Fade to Black might be my favorite Metallica song. So powerful with that lyric-less chorus, and Kirk's last solo gives me goosebumps every time. Creeping Death is the signature Metallica live song as far as I'm concerned, the Die chant with a stadium full of people is just crazy. Ktulu is probably my least favorite of the three instrumentals from the early era, but that's more to do with the quality of what was still to come than any issue with Ktulu.
Photobucket sucks.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2023, 03:53:36 PM »
I'll try to post a little more tomorrow, but I love Justice. Its probably a little less consistent than the previous two albums, but it is also Metallica at their most progressive and technical (especially Lars). I love to try and follow his drum patterns on this album. James also just sounds so pissed, and I love it.

Justice took longer to click than any Metallica album I'd heard up until this point. Initially I basically liked Blackened and One. I kind of always had a soft spot for Harvester as well, as it's one of my brothers all time favourite Metallica songs.

As the years pass though I find it's the Metallica studio album that I revist most. I pretty much love every song but the main  highlights are the one-two punch of Blackened and the title track, Harvester, Shortest Straw and To Live is to Die. The rest of the songs are no slouches, but those specific songs resonate. I've over done it with One over the years, so the shine has come off it a bit.

The two epics are probably my most played Metallica songs over the last two years, they really are phenomenonal.

I personally never had too much of an issue with the production.

Offline Adami

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2023, 04:11:47 PM »
Justice is probably my favorite record of theirs and the production, while not good, has never detracted from my enjoyment.

And Dyers Eve is my favorite Metallica song. Wish Lars would at least try to play it right when they played it live but such is life I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2023, 04:17:42 PM »
I like production on it. Sounds like no other album and is heavy AF. Best sounding Metallica album along with RTL, imo.

Given that one of the four is basically missing from the recording, though, I'd be fascinated to hear a quality version with Jason on it.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2023, 05:31:47 PM »
Justice is probably my favorite record of theirs and the production, while not good, has never detracted from my enjoyment.

And Dyers Eve is my favorite Metallica song. Wish Lars would at least try to play it right when they played it live but such is life I guess.

I’m afraid it’s not super possible physically. There’s a lot of tricks that went into making that song what it is

Offline DTA

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2023, 06:14:48 PM »

I’m afraid it’s not super possible physically. There’s a lot of tricks that went into making that song what it is

Lars ‘89 could definitely have played Dyers Eve live pretty close to the studio version. It’s fast but honestly not terribly difficult to a drummer who’s been playing stuff like Battery live.

Offline Adami

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2023, 07:27:12 PM »
Oh I know how much work went into the editing. 

But still. Either at least try to play it right or just don’t.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2023, 07:53:26 PM »
Either at least try to play it right or just don’t.

Probably why it hasn’t shown up since Melbourne on November 20th, 2010. It’s actually the second least recently played track after Eye of the Beholder. To Live is to Die and Frayed have actually been played more recently than it has.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2023, 12:01:10 PM »
Just listening to Justice for the purpose of thos thread and think I might go ahead and order it on vinyl.

It's not my all time favourite Metallica album but it's the one I just want to keep revisiting over the past few years. I think a huge part is the fact that Lars' drumming is just at it's most interesting, of any of their releases.

It makes my mind wander to a reality where Cliff didn't die and they continued to play more technical metal. I know that sort of thing has been discusses to death but thinking about the fact Metallica (my all time favourite metal band) could have made even BETTER music is enough to make fantasy run away with me.

But yea, Justice is fucking incredible.

Offline Adami

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2023, 12:02:32 PM »
Either at least try to play it right or just don’t.

Probably why it hasn’t shown up since Melbourne on November 20th, 2010. It’s actually the second least recently played track after Eye of the Beholder. To Live is to Die and Frayed have actually been played more recently than it has.

I think I have a knack for picking favorite songs that don't translate well live. Dyer's Eve and Fixxxer are my favorite Metallica songs and neither can be played live for various unfortunate reasons. And my fav PoS song, Idioglossia is also a song that just doesn't work well live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2023, 12:32:44 PM »
Christmas-related stuff has distracted me from my writeup on Master of Puppets, so here we go now:

When I first started listening to this album, I thought that it'd be my least favorite of the first three albums. Now it is my favorite Metallica album. Pretty fascinating what just a few listens of an album can do, huh? Something I find interesting about this album is that it uses almost the exact same structure as Ride the Lightning, yet it remains distinct. They took the formula that made RTL work and polished it to a high shine, while adding pieces of new and creative parts here and there. This album will probably end up being one that I always come back to without ever really getting old. In fact, I've only just gotten to AJFA a couple days ago because I've listened to this album so much (and speaking of that, there are at least two or three full listens of MoP unaccounted for on my Last.fm profile, I've listened to this one a lot over the past week or so).

Song rankings:
1. Disposable Heroes - Every part of this song is awesome. "Back to the front!" has been stuck in my head for days, I keep finding myself singing it. This may very well be the song to dethrone The Four Horsemen as my favorite Metallica song... and the same can be said about the next song on my list.
2. Master of Puppets - This is almost tied with Disposable Heroes. This song has some of the most memorable parts of Metallica's discography up to this point. The pre-chorus is amazing, possibly up there with some of the best that I've ever heard. The guitar solo is quite good, and Hetfield's singing is suitably menacing and energetic.
3. Leper Messiah - I'm surprised this song ranks low on a lot of people's lists for this album (from what I've seen, at least). I think this song rocks! My favorite part is probably the last chorus, the drums get very intense!
4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - I think Fade to Black feels more melancholic and emotional, but in every other way I would say Sanitarium is superior to that song. I hope I'm not being too boring by mentioning the chorus as the highlight again, but these guys know to make a really good chorus!
5. The Thing That Should Not Be - I really like the ominous mood this song has. It's one of quite a few Metallica songs where Hetfield's vocals fit so well with the music and lyrics. I also like the slow build-up to each chorus, which then further builds to "In madness you dwell!".
6. Battery - An exciting opener in the vein of Fight Fire With Fire. The intro is really good, and the whole vocal performance is memorable.
7. Damage, Inc. - Not much to say about this song. The intro could maybe be a little more interesting, but other than that, it's a solid heavy track to end off the album.
8. Orion - This is a nice instrumental, but other than the quiet bass section in the middle, nothing particularly stands out to me. Still good, though! As an instrumental track, I'd rank it above The Call of Ktulu.

Currently on AJFA now (I've gotten in around 5 listens thus far), and my early impressions are that Blackened > AJFA > EotB > One is one of the best four-song runs I've heard in a while. And the rest is pretty good, too!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2023, 04:21:32 PM »
re: Justice

GREAT write up on that record. It is my favorite Metallica album, without question. I am sure, had Jason's basslines been added, it would have been even better. I have the box set, and I listen to the rough mix pretty regularly to just hear it a little, but I know that despite James saying the Jason just doubled his guitar lines -- there is more there. There's no way Jason Newstead would have simply played what James did. Intimidated or not, he was there to pound. We'll never know, but it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the record. It never has. I love the album just the way it is.

I wish my parents would have let me see the tour. I was just barely a teenager, and we had no money, so it likely wouldn't have happened, but having Queensryche on Mindcrime opening for Metallica on Justice would have been the pinnacle for me. And "One" was just so...impactful on MTV. What a wise move to do a video for that song. Edgy, thought provoking...evil. Perfect.

For me, Justice is the last great Metallica record. I feel like they achieved a "prog-thrash" genre with this album. Going as fast and complicated as they could. And to me, it's pure bliss. I totally understand them not really knowing where else to go after this. The record is just iconic. I know folks love Master and Lightning, but to me, pinnacle Metallica is ...And Justice for All.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!