Author Topic: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 13: 72 Seasons)  (Read 13735 times)

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 1: Kill ‘Em All)
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2022, 10:16:51 AM »
I'll play and write up some thoughts as I listen to the album for the first time in a very long time.

Hit the Lights - Iconic for being the very first Metallica song ever released and it's fun when they turn on the afterburners for the end. 

Four Horseman - My favorite song from the album.  I love that they slowed Mechanix down and gave it some groove.  The live version from the Black Album shows is awesome, where they're playing in the round and during the galloping breakdown riff, all four guys run around the stage towards Lars' second drum kit, arrive at the same time and BOOM, right back into the song.  I've seen them play it acoustically in 1998 and full electric in 2000. 

Motorbreath - Hits hard and fast.  Another song I've heard acoustically, but never electric.

Jump in the Fire - I love it.  Fun bouncy riff.   

Anesthesia - My least favorite song on the album.  Cliff is amazing, but I'm just not one for instrument solos. 

Whiplash - I'd love to hear them play this live and enjoyed them opening their 2021 club shows with it.  Fast, thrashy and a great riff. 

Phantom Lord - This song kicks ass and has an awesome riff

No Remorse - Underrated for sure.   I'd forgotten how great the riffing is in this song, where they just jammed a bunch of badass riffs together, especially the faster part towards the end.

Seek and Destroy - It's become very overplayed, though it is a fun song.  My favorite versions are when Jason would sing the vocals, which adds some grit and heaviness to it.  I've always loved the speedy breakdown midway through the song.

Metal Militia - Absolutely furious riffing, with silly lyrics.  I like that they let Mustaine start this song off during their 30th anniversary concerts.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2022, 07:33:18 AM »
Figured I’d put the question out to you all. I ki da want to let 72 Seasons have a little while to click before I give it a proper review, since these aren’t albums like the Leppard albums where there’s a lot that I haven’t heard. I’m thinking of maybe adding the 40th anniversary concerts after S&M2, just to give me a bit more time. What do you guys think, would you be interested in deep diving those?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online billboy73

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2022, 08:58:08 AM »
I listen to those 2 shows a good bit, so I would be down for some discussion on those.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
I’m gonna throw out my two cents on (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth. I’ve seen a lot of people on these forums questioning its place on Kill ‘Em All, and IMO, it absolutely belongs because it’s actually a huge part of Metallica’s story. This is the solo Cliff Burton was playing that made Metallica want him in the band, so much so that they moved from Los Angeles to San Francisco for him to join, which is now the city the band is associated with. Kill ‘Em All is an album meant to make a statement to the world that this new form of metal is here to take over the world, and Anesthesia fits that “we have arrived” narrative perfectly, as it’s Metallica introducing the world to Cliff Burton’s talent the same way there were: with this absolutely blistering bass solo. Am I a little biased towards the piece as a bass player whose biggest influence is Cliff? Sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that the story of Metallica can’t be told without (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 12:17:41 PM »
I’m gonna throw out my two cents on (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth. I’ve seen a lot of people on these forums questioning its place on Kill ‘Em All, and IMO, it absolutely belongs because it’s actually a huge part of Metallica’s story. This is the solo Cliff Burton was playing that made Metallica want him in the band, so much so that they moved from Los Angeles to San Francisco for him to join, which is now the city the band is associated with. Kill ‘Em All is an album meant to make a statement to the world that this new form of metal is here to take over the world, and Anesthesia fits that “we have arrived” narrative perfectly, as it’s Metallica introducing the world to Cliff Burton’s talent the same way there were: with this absolutely blistering bass solo. Am I a little biased towards the piece as a bass player whose biggest influence is Cliff? Sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that the story of Metallica can’t be told without (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth.

This is a really good point. That and spotlighting that their bass player was one of the more talented ones around. Doesn't hurt to showcase that, particularly in the early-1980s.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 2: Ride the Lightning)
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2022, 07:05:52 PM »
Ride the Lightning - 1984
Tracklisting: 1. Fight Fire With Fire. 2. Ride the Lightning. 3. For Whom the Bell Tolls. 4. Fade to Black. 5. Trapped Under Ice. 6. Escape. 7. Creeping Death. 8. The Call of Ktulu.

https://open.spotify.com/album/05DePtm7oQMdL3Uzw2Jmsc?si=JY2e46wWQRKMfgB53KiO8g

In cinema, there’s a trend that most sequels aren’t as good as the originals, apart from a few rare occasions. I find that the inverse is true in music. Ride the Lightning is definitely a worthy sophomore release, one I feel sets up the Metallica formula for at least a few albums to come.

Since the release of Kill ‘Em All, Metallica were playing support shows on a 32 date US tour with Raven that they called the Kill ‘Em All For One tour. This went from July 27th to September 3rd 1983. They would later go out with Raven in Europe for 16 shows in Europe under the name Seven Dates in Hell, starting in February of 1984.
But already, something was starting to change on the Kill ‘Em All shows. According to Metallica’s historical archive for setlists, at least five of the Kill ‘Em All for One shows contained an extended instrumental, known at the time as When Hell Freezes Over (which was the working title for The Call of Ktulu). By the time they got on stage in Europe five months later, three more new songs were starting to make their way into the setlists. These songs were Ride the Lightning, Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

On a break in the touring plan for the Seven Dates of Hell tour, Metallica found themselves in Copenhagen with producer Fleming Rasmussen, recording a collection of seven songs that then became eight at the label’s insistence. These songs became Metallica’s sophomore album, Ride the Lightning.

We open with Fight Fire With Fire, one of the most ferocious songs in the catalog to this day. That being said though, this opens with an amazingly beautiful intro which, surprising no one, was composed by Cliff Burton. Using a lot of 12 string guitars, this creates such a peaceful mood that is almost immediately destroyed by the main riff. These lyrics, written about nuclear war and Armageddon, open the album on such an intense note with Hetfield’s staccato vocal and the jagged riffing beneath. As we step into the instrumental section of the song, Kirk’s soloing is in fine form, but we see that James and Kirk have really stepped up their guitar harmony game since No Remorse. Again, this was probably a Cliff thing, as the record shows that he had a great affinity for classical music and all of it’s aspects. All up, this is still one of their top 5 album openers for me and it really cemented a formula that I love seeing them follow with the epic intros before the main riffs.

Fight Fire With Fire closes on the sound of a nuclear explosion which runs straight into the title track, Ride the Lightning. Man, this is one of my favourite songs of their 80s era. With a guitar harmony into, that is somehow credited to Lars, before running into one of my favourite main riffs on the album, this song just sounds sonically immense. Lyrically, this one is about a prisoner being taken to the electric chair and executed, but with a twist in the last verse that it’s all a dream. The first riff in the bridge section is another that was stolen from Mustaine, which you can hear in Wake Up Dead if you want the Megadeth equivalent. However, it’s the solo section that really gets me going here. Being based over a great riff definitely helps, but Kirk’s melodic solo over the first riff into shred for the second half is such a cool solo. I’d be hard at work trying to think of another solo I thought was better. By the way, those screams you hear in the bridge are actually provided by Lars, which I think is kinda cool. Even the outro is great with how it expands upon it’s simple four note phrase before ultimately leading into one last run through the intro harmony. This is just such a great song, I absolutely love it and I was lucky enough to catch it live back in 2013. It should speak volumes that across the 25 date “By Request” tour in 2014, Ride the Lightning was played 20 times!

Bust out your anvils, boys and girls, it’s time for an absolute classic! For Whom the Bell Tolls is our third track here and man, what a great song it is. Opening with the sound of an anvil being struck to make the perfect bell for this song, we’re very quickly hit over the head with crushingly heavy guitars and a bass lead, one that Cliff lifted from the band he was in before Metallica. The song keeps expanding, adding heavy riff after riff. Kirk has a little melodic lead over what will shortly become our verse before we hear what I’d probably consider to be the main riff of the song. Our lyrics are loosely based on the book of the same name by Ernest Hemingway (if you want more about him, may I suggest you watch this for an informative laugh https://youtu.be/PUB9D78ajmI). These lyrics have become absolute classics in the Metallica catalogue thiugh. We get even more guitar harmonies after the first chorus and it all ends with Kirk going insane. Look, it’s not my favourite ever Metallica song, but to try and deny it’s status as a classic is impossible. But, I must say, I don’t think any of Metallica’s bassists ever hit this intro as perfectly as Cliff did here.

Track four was a controversial one upon it’s release. We all know about how people took the Black Album as a sign that they had sold out, but even this early on those accusations were flying. Why? Because Metallica made a ballad. The story goes that one night, someone managed to break in to Metallica’s van and managed to steal Hetfield’s favourite Marshall amp. This, understandably, put him in a pretty bad mood. Fade to Black is, very openly, a suicide song and over the years, they’ve been blamed for writing this as if it were the cause of kids killing themselves. But, they’ve also received hundreds of letters from fans that say that this song has saved their lives, because they felt as if they weren’t alone and someone understood what they felt.
Honestly, I feel that this is one of Metallica’s best composed songs. The intro alone is beautiful and I love the interplay between the melodic verses and that heavy riff for a chorus. Kirk’s leads on this song are pretty much perfect and the interplay between electric and acoustic guitars throughout the verses sounds amazing. But, nothing can prepare you for how great the second half of the song is. The bridge portrays the character taking his life before the other most perfect solo Kirk ever played plays out. This is another song that absolutely defines a part of Metallica. While I may prefer another ballad personally, which we will get to before too long, I think this is probably one of the best songs they ever composed. While I can’t really justify it, I wouldn’t be surprised to read that a lot of people feel the same. Chronologically, this is Kirk’s first writing credit with the band and I can’t think of a better first song to have my name to than this one, Even though it’s another song that commits my cardinal sin in music by fading out the solo, I can actually kinda accept it here and I think it makes for a pretty great closer to the first half of the album.

The second half opens with two pretty deep cuts as far as Metallica’s 80s output goes. Opening with the better of the two though, we have Trapped Under Ice. This is a great short and sharp thrash song about being frozen in ice and facing death. I must say, the riff that bookends the bridge is one of my top moments on the album. I’ve always loved it. The song is based on a riff that Kirk Hammett had brought over from his previous band, Exodus, you can find it at about the 1:46 mark in the song Impaler. It’s short, sharp and to the point, which is great. It kinda feels like the crossover point between Kill ‘Em All and Ride the Lightning in a way, or at least it does to me. I like it a lot, I just don’t feel I have a lot to say about it.

The other deep cut is actually James Hetfield’s least favourite Metallica song ever, Escape. This is a song that the record label kinda forced them into making to fill up the time a little more and have something a little more commercial on the album. This definitely doesn’t hit the same as the rest of the songs here, but I actually really like Escape’s intro and chorus. The lyrics here are pretty great, being a bit of a call to individualism and getting to live your life your own way. This song actually features the first proper breakdown in a Metallica song and damn is it cool. Kirk’s solo on this one is a bit of a nothing for me, but I do love the ending with the main line of the chorus being repeated in the lower key. I find this to be a really tight song, but yeah, I can see why they don’t like it that much. They’ve only ever played it once live as part of playing the full album, so, I suppose that’s that.

Oh, but then we get onto probably the most famous song off of Ride, Creeping Death! This song is huge! This is a song directly taken from a passage in the bible. Story is there was a Pharaoh that refused to free his slaves and they weren’t happy, so ten plagues were unleashed upon him and his people that increased in intensity, culminating into the ultimate killing of every firstborn child in Egypt, unless their door was painted in lamb’s blood. The band had watched the film The Ten Commandments one night and found themselves really invested in it. The riffing in this one is intense. I love the verse riff, but the bridge is where it all comes to a head. This was another riff that Kirk brought from Exodus (funnily enough, the book from which this story comes) and an unused demo called Die By His Hand. The guitar harmony that ends it off is another classic Metallica moment in a song that’s absolutely packed full of them. The song has been described as a “mosh pit anthem”, which we will most definitely address more throughout our live deep dives as I think the only live albums this song isn’t on is the S&M duo.

The album ends with the first song that Metallica had unleashed from it back in 83, The Call of Ktulu. While it is an instrumental, this one musically portrays the coming of Cthulhu from The Shadow Over Innsmouth, which was one of Cliff’s favourite books. This song actually starts a long running saga of Metallica songs that has reached all the way to Hardwired about Ktulu. I love Cliff’s bass effects here acting as the actual calling o that the song was named after. My favourite riff in this song has definitely gotta be the bridge that launches the solo though. It’s such an epic sound. I do like some of Kirk’s licks here too, I think it’s a great solo. I really respect this as the first fully realised instrumental. This is the basis from which the rest would take it’s cue and I think it’s just awesome that they decided to give it a shot. The first ending section with the guitar harmonies is a super cool way that the song could’ve ended, but I’m really glad it didn’t all Peter out there as I think the proper ending to this is a perfect motif to end an album on. Also, shout out to that glockenspiel in the return of the intro riff   
Of course, I have to mention that the ascending pattern is Mustaine’s riff which you’ll all no doubt recognise from Hangar 18. But, that’s all I really need to say about that.

So. Ride the Lightning. I think this album took all the right cues from Kill ‘Em All and took what Cliff and Kirk could add to the mix and created a perfect follow up. This still isn’t their best 80s album, but I feel like this album will at least crack my top 5 at the end. James’ vocals are in the perfect spot between the growls we know him for and the screams of Kill ‘Em All here, Kirk’s finally composing his own solos that work much better for him than trying to rework what Mustaine did before him, Cliff is an absolute asset and Lars is also super tight here. I feel like most of this is the prototype for what Puppets and Justice would build upon, where as Escape was an experiment in trying to make something commercial that would later be perfected upon within the Black Album.

I give this album an 8.75. There are still rougher edges that would really be ironed out in the coming albums, but this album proved the true start of the Metallica ascendancy.

Recommended listens:
Fight Fire With Fire
Ride the Lightning
The Call of Ktulu

Essential listens:
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death

And now it’s your turn. What do you guys think of Ride the Lightning. I’m keen to hear your thoughts. Catch you in the chat, and be ready to obey your master in a week’s time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 07:27:46 PM by Deadeye21 »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2022, 02:58:23 AM »
Absolutely adore Ride the Lightning. It's my #1 Metallica album, and arguably the greatest metal album of all time!

I remember after my initial obsession with The Black Album, I went and picked this up. I love every song and think The Call of Ktulu is probably my favourite. The S&M version is so epic that that version is easily my favourite all time Metallica song! The way The Ecstasy of Gold flows into is just as close to musical perfection as you can get.

Over the years I have grown to view this album as a sort of concept album. I know it was not created as a concept album but for me there is a story that holds these songs together. I posted this in the Metallica thread last year...

Anyone else's head canon that Ride the Lightning is a concept album? So hear me out...

Fight Fire with Fire - young dude is off to war. He's amped up and eager to get out there and show the world what he's made of.

Ride the Lightning - young dude realises that the reality of war is not what he'd imagined and he's just doing his best to survive.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - young dude is dying on the battlefield surround by other poor souls who gave their life for a pointless war.

Fade to Black - young dude is drifting into the afterlife, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Trapped Under Ice - (here's where it gets a bit sci-fi) turns out young dude actually survived the war and was cryogenically frozen, but he is a prisoner in some sort of hospital/research facility. His body and mind were saved, but at what cost?

Escape - young dude realises that he needs to break out of this prison he is in. In doing so he realises that he is not wholly human any longer.

Creeping Death - young dude wreaks havoc on the world and all those he feels who have wronged him (those who sent innocent young kids to fight their wars). This continues for decades, with him losing any part of what once made him human. By the end he has crossed over into the ethereal plane.

Call of Ktulu - now a spirit in the ethereal plane young dude drifts aimlessly trying to find some sort of peace. He soars on the winds of time until he at last finds peace and his existence ends.

That's the imagery that is in my head when I listen to this album.

Make of that what you will  :lol

Great post Deadeye, you have added some info that I was totally unaware of. I didn’t know Metallica were playing Ktulu live (as When Hell Freezes Over) back in '83! That's cool as fuck, I wonder if there's any footage anywhere?

You probably knew this as well, but the Seven Dates of Hell tour was in support of Venom. Cronos claims that James took a lot of his stage presence from what Cronos was doing on stage and they came back from Europe with a new swagger to them. I don't know how true that is but there you have it. James' confidence as a front man was growing and maybe that did have something to do with it.

Ranking of the songs...

Epic as fuck...

The Call of Ktulu
Creeping Death
Ride the Lightning
Fade to Black
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fight Fire with Fire
Trapped Under Ice

Just not as good as the rest...

Escape
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:15:35 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2022, 03:01:39 AM »
Such a great album, I rank this on par with MoP (maybe even higher). I've never had a problem with Escape, and I'd never thought that it was an attempt at being more commercial until it was pointed out to me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2022, 07:50:01 AM »
As someone who likes Metallica but feels like they are on the outside looking in with respect to many of their fans, I'm baffled by the response to Escape.  It's not the worst song on the album (I like it better than both Trapped Under Ice and Fight Fire With Fire) and I struggle with what the "commercialism" is; the actual singing on the chorus?  The doubled guitar?  That's all it takes to be "commercial"?  "Fade To Black" is FAR more a move in the direction of "The Black Album", IMO.

I know what James said about it; those kinds of comments always make me wonder what the fan response would have been had he NOT said that.   

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2022, 07:54:14 AM »
I've never thought of Escape as particularly commercial at all. Like Leper Messiah, for me, it just happens to be the weakest song on an album full of incredible music!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2022, 08:06:13 AM »
Like Leper Messiah, for me, it just happens to be the weakest song on an album full of incredible music!

Not really a Metallica fan so I won't be commenting on this thread much but I never got this either. Leper Messiah is one of the best songs on MoP if you ask me. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2022, 08:13:37 AM »
Like Leper Messiah, for me, it just happens to be the weakest song on an album full of incredible music!

Not really a Metallica fan so I won't be commenting on this thread much but I never got this either. Leper Messiah is one of the best songs on MoP if you ask me. :lol

Not for the first time, I find myself questioning how you are winning my roulette  ???

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »

Thing is, you’re kinda both right. Leper Messiah doesn’t stick out on Master of Puppets, but on its own it is far from being a weak song. Actually, I friggin love Leper Messiah, but I’d still probably put it second to last. I like it more than one particular song as I look at the track list right now. But, I guess that’s a story for next week, isn’t it?

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2022, 08:26:37 AM »

Not for the first time, I find myself questioning how you are winning my roulette  ???

Maybe it's because I'm right! :neverusethis:

The first half has a cool groove that sticks out from the rest of the album, and I like how it contrasts with the faster second half.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2022, 08:27:46 AM »

Thing is, you’re kinda both right. Leper Messiah doesn’t stick out on Master of Puppets, but on its own it is far from being a weak song. Actually, I friggin love Leper Messiah, but I’d still probably put it second to last. I like it more than one particular song as I look at the track list right now. But, I guess that’s a story for next week, isn’t it?

Yea, it's far from a bad song at all. It's just literally every other song on Puppets is God tier

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2022, 08:30:51 AM »

I'm guessing The Thing That Should Not Be is your bottom ranked

Online Grappler

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2022, 08:39:26 AM »
I hadn't listened to Ride the Lightning in full for a long time, so I did that the other day in preparation for this thread.  I won't go song by song, but I like the review here.  There are a lot of great songs on this album - FFWF, RTL, Bells, Fade, Trapped Under Ice, Creeping Death.  I can remember being 13 and buying the album.  I wore a Ride t-shirt to a doctor's appointment once and the doctor commented on it, asking me if I knew what the term meant (electric chair) as if I was too young to be representing the band. 

As for live representation - they played FFWF at the show I saw in 1998, and I've only seen them do the standard songs (Bells, Fade, Creeping Death) that they usually play at every show.  I guess if I had seen them more after 2000, maybe I'd have heard more from the album.   :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2022, 03:01:36 PM »
Every note - no, every 16th note - of this album was burned into my gray matter after listening to it on a Walkman nonstop during the summer of 1984. Such a huge leap in maturity in songwriting from an incredibly young band. As the decades have gone on, I’ve noticed more and more metal sites, YouTube channels, etc are recognizing this album as Metallica’s greatest instead of the 2 or 3 that follow. It has the blueprint of the MOP and AJFA with none of the bloat. Side 1 is one of greatest sides of all time. That crushing rhythm tone James got on this album has never been equaled imo.

Creeping Death/Fight Fire With Fire
Fade to Black
Trapped Under Ice (yes those bridge riffs RULE)
Ride the Lightning/For Whom the Bell Tolls
Escape/Ktulu

Online billboy73

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2022, 08:14:21 AM »
A huge step forward from KEA, Ride the Lightning is an incredible album.  It also shows Metallica's melodic side.

Fight Fire With Fire - Amazing intro that descends into thrash nuclear fallout.  I love James' staccato bark on the vocal delivery.             
                               The middle harmony section is so good!

Ride the Lightning - The title track is excellent, and the bridge riff is one of my favorites.  Kirk plays one of his tastiest solos
                              here as well.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Iconic intro, and the lead part that repeats is killer.  The chromatic descending riff just before the
                                     verse is so heavy!

Fade to Black - Metallica sold out and did a ballad?  I don't care, this is such a great song.  The outro is amazing.  The live
                      version from Cunning Stunts is perfection.

Trapped Under Ice - Thrashy goodness here.  The bridge riff is another one of my favorites.

Escape - Decent, but definitely the weakest track on the album.

Creeping Death - Another banger here!  Love the lyrics and obviously the "die" section.  It never sounded better than having
                         Jason on backup vocals live.

The Call of Ktulu - First (I don't count Anesthesia as an instrumental, it's a bass solo) of Metallica's great instrumentals, and a
                           great album closer.  The final couple of minutes to the end are so good.  I would rank it 3rd out of the 4
                           though. 

I rank this one below Justice and Master, but I definitely see why many people have this one as their #1.

Online Grappler

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2022, 08:23:56 AM »
Creeping Death - Another banger here!  Love the lyrics and obviously the "die" section.  It never sounded better than having
                         Jason on backup vocals live.

And lead vocals - Jason often took the last verse, which was killer.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2022, 08:28:16 AM »
As someone who likes Metallica but feels like they are on the outside looking in with respect to many of their fans, I'm baffled by the response to Escape.  It's not the worst song on the album (I like it better than both Trapped Under Ice and Fight Fire With Fire) and I struggle with what the "commercialism" is; the actual singing on the chorus?  The doubled guitar?  That's all it takes to be "commercial"?  "Fade To Black" is FAR more a move in the direction of "The Black Album", IMO.

I know what James said about it; those kinds of comments always make me wonder what the fan response would have been had he NOT said that.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly—having discovered Metallica during the summer of '91, completely isolated from the opinions of others, I immediately gravitated to "Escape" as a standout track on Ride. To this day, I'd still rank it second or third behind the title track and "Fade to Black," although, I think the record is a flawless listen from cover to cover.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 08:33:00 AM »
I like how Ride was described as the prototype for Puppets and Justice. For me, I was never really into Kill Em All. Metallica really hit me with Ride, Puppets and Justice. To be brutally frank, those three albums are all I need from Metallica, aside from maybe another handful of songs I'd grab from other records.

Great write-up on Ride. Just put it on to start the day.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
This thread is fun, as it has me going back to these older albums that I listened to so much as a kid, but rarely put on now because i've heard them so many times before.  It's easy to fall back in love with the band and albums and remember why I loved them as a teenager and the songs still kick my ass 30 years after I became a fan. 

I'm also reflecting on the 3 shows I saw in 1998 and 2000.  I've always remembered the setlists being very similar, but looking back at them, I did see a handful of deep cuts live, even though I felt like they always played the same songs over and over.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2022, 09:26:49 AM »
Very much enjoying the write-ups, Deadeye...

I like Kill 'em All but for me (ex-post, obviously...I wasn't there to actually witness it) Ride the Lightning was a big step up. I mean, KEA was already setting them apart, and it has a bunch of songs that are, to this day, classics for the band...but for me RtL is where they started becoming "Metallica", i.e. this unbelievable force for (thrash) metal in the 80s. The riffs, the songs and, importantly, the "memorability" of it all is what made them one of a kind in the genre.

Also obviously agree with the idea that this was setting things up for Master...regardless of what album one prefers (it's MoP for me, but RtL is not far behind), they quite literally set a template for the first 4 songs ("side A", I guess we could call it?) that they would be following for a little while  ;)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
I've given Ride the Lightning a few listens. My impressions are that it's more consistently enjoyable than Kill 'Em All, though I prefer The Four Horsemen to anything on this album. I'll give my verdict on which album I like better after a few more listens. The standout tracks for me so far are Fight Fire With Fire, Ride the Lightning, and Escape.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2022, 01:58:21 PM »
Ride The Lightning is pure class from start to end. Amazing record. The guitar sound is ridiculously great and unique. Sounds like a monster sawing tree trunks. Love it.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »
It's a great album and I can't really point to any flaws on it, but I find I don't go back and listen to often. Not sure why. Love the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2022, 04:00:00 PM »
Ride The Lightning is pure class from start to end. Amazing record. The guitar sound is ridiculously great and unique. Sounds like a monster sawing tree trunks. Love it.

I like that  :biggrin:

Offline The Realm

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2022, 05:36:27 PM »
Ride The Lightning is just an iconic album. Without a doubt one of my favourite ever albums and a huge part of my musical journey. Just love this album.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2022, 06:13:20 PM »
Ride the Lightning is my #2 Metallica album. I have to say though, i always found side 1 much stronger than side 2. And I never could get into The Calll of Kthulu.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »
I'm guessing The Thing That Should Not Be is your bottom ranked
It's definitely my bottom-ranked on MoP.  Every other song dwarfs TTTSNB.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2022, 09:59:54 PM »
I got into Metallica after AJFA came out and had to play "catch up" with the previous three albums.  I definitely understand the love for RTL.  It's a more mature album than KEA and nowhere near as raw-sounding.  I wish I would've been onboard with Metallica from the beginning because I'd love to know how someone who was already a fan felt when they heard the acoustic intro of the album's opener for the first time...  And then how they felt 40 seconds later when the brutality of FFWF commenced.   :metal

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2022, 03:53:47 AM »
The first riff in the bridge section is another that was stolen from Mustaine, which you can hear in Wake Up Dead if you want the Megadeth equivalent.

If you believe Mustaine (which is a tough ask...) he wrote a lot more than just that riff for that song.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dave_mustaine_its_obvious_that_i_wrote_parts_of_ride_the_lightning__leper_messiah.html

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2022, 03:57:21 AM »
The first riff in the bridge section is another that was stolen from Mustaine, which you can hear in Wake Up Dead if you want the Megadeth equivalent.

If you believe Mustaine (which is a tough ask...) he wrote a lot more than just that riff for that song.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dave_mustaine_its_obvious_that_i_wrote_parts_of_ride_the_lightning__leper_messiah.html

Wah, well, seeing as though he reused Motorbreath for FFF on Cryptic Writings, which was always James’ song, it’s a bit of a tough one to just believe Mustaine at every turn. No evidence they even remembered that jam by that point.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2022, 08:10:28 AM »
I got into Metallica after AJFA came out and had to play "catch up" with the previous three albums.  I definitely understand the love for RTL.  It's a more mature album than KEA and nowhere near as raw-sounding.  I wish I would've been onboard with Metallica from the beginning because I'd love to know how someone who was already a fan felt when they heard the acoustic intro of the album's opener for the first time...  And then how they felt 40 seconds later when the brutality of FFWF commenced.   :metal

Oh it was amazing trust me!! Kind of like with MOP too, you're sitting there going (as an ignorant teen) "I don't really like where this is going" to BAM and headbanging glory.