Author Topic: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 13: 72 Seasons)  (Read 13793 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 13: 72 Seasons)
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2023, 11:34:59 AM »
Great writeup.  I have been listening to a lot of other stuff, but go back to 72 Seasons every once in a while and the album continues to kick my ass.  I love a lot of the songs on there.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2023, 01:17:14 AM »
Fun piece to read. Cheers!

I still really enjoy the record. Clicked for me after I dropped two tracks you also highlight as clunkers (You Must Burn and Crown Of Barbed Wire). I esp love the more melodic, rocky back end of the album.

Overall, I'm still amazed they released such a good record at this point. As you say, it doesn't bring any new but it's more tasteful than Hard Wired (which I can't really listen to - feels forced and with more wince moments for me). For its flaws, this one feels like a decent, natural record.

The only thing that actually nags me is that it would have hit me even more had that classic Metallica rhythm guitar tone been there.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2023, 04:59:55 AM »
Wow.

'If Darkness...' is one of my favourite Metallica songs. Full stop. Saw a live version from, I think Paris, and it absolutely crushed. It's a great riff.
I'm amazed it seems to rank so low in people's affections.

There are some great moments on 72 Seasons. Definitely their strongest album since TBA.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2023, 07:03:14 AM »
"If Darkness..." works for me too.

I don't hear any Sandman in "Sleepwalk..." (or King Nothing, either)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #249 on: October 29, 2023, 07:32:59 AM »

I don't hear any Sandman in "Sleepwalk..." (or King Nothing, either)

Maybe take another close listen to the riff underneath the verse
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2023, 08:50:37 AM »
Ah, ok, yeah, you're right.

I guess there's only a few ways those three notes by the same band at that tempo can sound.  :smiley:

Offline billboy73

« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2023, 09:13:51 AM »
Deadeye, thanks for coming back to finish this up!  I really enjoyed going through this thread.  I'll add my song by song thoughts when I have a chance, but I will say that I really do enjoy this album.  Also, I am one that really likes If Darkness Had a Son.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2023, 09:22:11 AM »
I'm going to echo the sentiments of everyone else...major kudos to you, Deadeye, for these write-ups. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable read throughout.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2023, 09:34:16 AM »
I had NO idea Darkness was apparently so poorly received. It's one of my favourites from the album. Pleased to read others like it, too!

These write-ups have been great, Deadeye, thank you.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »
I had NO idea Darkness was apparently so poorly received. It's one of my favourites from the album. Pleased to read others like it, too!

These write-ups have been great, Deadeye, thank you.

I've loved Darkness since they released it as a single.  Such a great stomper and very catchy.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2023, 10:09:38 AM »
Alright, here we go.  72 Seasons is a great record and will definitely end up as one of my favorites of 2023.  The boys show they still have it!  When Lux Aterna dropped I was pretty damn excited for this record, and they didn't let me down.  Solid production on this one, and James sounds great.  His vocals along with vocal melodies are solid.  Overall, the concept of the record is nice, and the cover art is something different, but way better than Hardwired.  I like the bright yellow of the cover contrasted with the burnt, black items.  On the the songs:

72 Seasons - Solid opener, and I like the way it builds into the main riff, which is definitely reminiscent of Hardwireds main riff.  The chorus is great on this track, and James sounds awesome on
                    the "wrath of man" lyric.

Shadows Follow - This bouncy number will get your head moving with a nice main riff.  The bridge section has a nice harmony leading into the solo as well.  I kinda like the "Batman" riff at the
                          end.

Screaming Suicide - Another solid track here.  There intro starts a bit cheery, and then goes into a NWOBHM styled riff.  Love the "keep me inside" part of the chorus, and the spoken bridge
                              section is pretty cool as well.

Sleepwalk My Life Away - Decent song here that starts with a drum and bass intro and builds into a nice main riff.  I like the "should I fall" part.

You Must Burn - Definitely has a Sad But True vibe, and that's a song that I'm not a big fan of.  I think I might like this song a little better than Sad But True, but it plods along a bit just like that
                        song.  I like James' vocals on this one.

Lux Aterna - Man, what a great song to announce the new album.  Just a solid NWOBHM styled rocker, and James sounds great on the chorus.  Solid main riff with melodic verses.  Nice solo from
                   Kirk too.

Crown of Barbed Wire - Another one of the weaker songs on the album, but I dig the chorus, and the pre-solo riff is nice too.

Chasing Light - Not a big fan of the intro part, but the main riff is solid, and it leads into a nice chorus riff as well.  Nice solo from Kirk and the post-solo riff is nice too.

If Darkness Had a Son - Starts off with some Eye of the Beholder vibes and I really like the intro leads from Kirk into the main riff.  I love the "temptation" part and it makes me think of Evile
                                   (think Infected Nations).  The "beast still shouts" chromatic section is awesome and leads into a nice chorus.  I like the pre-solo part and we get a fairly solid lead from
                                   Kirk.  I really dig this tune.

Too Far Gone - I really dig this tune more.  Probably my favorite song overall.  The main riff has No Remorse/1000 Times Goodbye vibes that leads into an awesome melodic chorus.  Obviously the 
                      harmony sections on this song are awesome as well.

Room of Mirrors - Another great song here with a nice intro before the tempo picks up.  I like the little post-solo breakdown part that leads to another great harmony section.

Inamorata - Metallica close out a great album with an epic song with Sabbath/stoner vibes.  I could see Khemmis doing this song.  It clocks in at over 11 minutes, but doesn't drag or feel too long. 
                  Just an awesome main riff and this song takes you on an epic journey.  I would love to hear this one live.

Like I said overall, I really dig this album!  There are a couple of songs that are a bit weaker, but they are miles better than the few stinkers that are on disc 2 of Hardwired.  I feel like Kirk overall is a little better on this record than the last one, but that's not saying a ton.  James' vocals are great on this record.  The back half of the record really shines with run of the last 4 tracks being excellent.  It plods a little in the middle around the excellent Lux Aterna, but overall Metallica are still serving up an excellent album this late into their career.