Author Topic: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 13: 72 Seasons)  (Read 13784 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter Eight: Garage Inc. Disc One)
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2023, 04:18:43 PM »
I too love this album. They are a ridiculously good covers band.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter Eight: Garage Inc. Disc Two)
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2023, 07:11:18 AM »
Tracklisting (Disc Two): 1. Helpless. 2. The Small Hours. 3. The Wait, 4. Crash Course in Brain Surgery. 5. Last Caress/Green Hell. 6. Am I Evil?. 7. Blitzkrieg. 8. Breadfan. 9. The Prince. 10. Stone Cold Crazy. 11. So What. 12. Killing Time. 13. Overkill. 14. Damage Case. 15. Stone Dead Forever. 16. Too Late Too Late.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0vshXZYhBkbIoqxyC2fXcF?si=6JS1lIcyRiyFAy80erlFFQ

So, the 90s were a time when a lot of bands released a B-Side album. Anthrax had Attack of the Killer B’s, Megadeth had Hidden Treasures and Def Leppard had Retro Active, amongst many others. Metallica, on the other hand, were a band that thrived on cover songs to boast a unique B-Side to their singles, so such an album of extra deep cut originals was never on the horizon for Metallica. Or, at least, so it seemed.

With the release of the 11 new cover songs on their way, Metallica took a little bit of extra care. They realised that the original $5.98 EP was now out of print and that there were many fans who had likely only ever picked up the albums that wouldn’t have some of the older cover songs. So the decision was made to stretch Garage Inc. into a double album, with the second disc serving as a neat little package of all these B-Side covers.

I’ve already covered the first five songs as their own review, so I won’t waste your time with those. Instead, here’s the link to my review of Garage Days Re-Revisited in case you’d like to Re-Revisit those songs! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57970.msg2951226#msg2951226

Am I Evil? is area, striking contrast with the production from Ride the Lightning suddenly hitting straight after the $5.98 EP. This is where it all began for Metallica recording cover songs, serving as a B-Side to Creeping Death alongside the next track, and it’s still such an iconic track. I will always love that military marching rhythm of the intro and the little guitar lead that follows it. For me though, I vastly prefer the back half of the song to the opening two verses, which is sadly the main part that you’ll see played in Metallica shows. This is another Diamond Head cover originating from the, you guessed it, Lightning to the Nations album! It’s interesting how this song is composed though, as the second half feels like a much different song to the other two sections. However, that solo is a banger, and I love the galloping rhythms supported by Cliff’s bass. Not a favourite song overall, but I do enjoy listening to it whenever it comes on.

A cover of Blitzkrieg by Blitzkrieg follows. This is a short, aggressive rocker that I’ve always really liked. This song fits right in with Metallica’s early sound, with really punchy riffs and simple yet effective vocal lines. The original version is a little slower but overall, this is a very faithful rendition of the song. This is one of my favourite solos that Kirk has ever done for a cover, especially with the whammy section and the harmony towards the end of it. This is another song where we get a fun little studio outtake at the end, featuring James burping and Lars talking about how he “f###ed up in one place”. Sadly, this is actually the final performance we get to talk about from Cliff, so I should mention that his presence on this song is very much felt and makes the song much better.

Next, we head into the Justice era with a cover of Breadfan, originally by Budgie from their Never Turn Your Back On a Friend album. Metallica’s version appeared on the Harvester of Sorrow and Eye of the Beholder singles. Production wise, this deviates a bit from the Justice album as you can actually hear bass if you listen out for it. James’ voice and the overall tone of the song stays very much within the Justice era though. It’s a particularly simple song with it’s verse, riff, verse, solo arrangement. However, it’s within the solo section that this song is best on the studio version. As witnessed in the Seattle Binge and Purge show, Metallica never plays the clean section of the solo live, but it’s actually my favourite section of the song by a lot. Kirk’s melodic leads are so tasteful and I really like the clean tones and harmonies that end the section. Truly a shame that Metallica have never played the song in full.

Up next, another Diamond Head cover that stems from that same album! This one is The Prince and honestly it’s got some damn cool riffs and really ominous lyrics. This is just thrash central and absolutely suits the Justice vibe. This one was a B-Side to the Harvester and One singles. The intro is basically No Remorse on steroids and the verse riff is just an absolute classic. The harmony section is such a cool interlude too. This is another great song, but it just doesn’t hit the same beats as Helpless or Am I Evil? to my ears.  Still, the fact of the matter is, Diamond Head wrote some damn good songs on that Lightning to the Nations album and Metallica covered them gloriously.

Our next cover comes from between albums with a cover of Queen’s Stone Cold Crazy from Sheer Heart Attack. Metallica originally covered this song for Elektra’s 40th anniversary compilation, Rubáiyát, and later used as the B-Side for Enter Sandman. This cover actually saw Metallica win their second ever Grammy in 1990 for best Metal performance. This song speeds up an already pretty quick song, seeing James spit out Freddie’s lyrics at a rapid fire pace. Other than that, it’s a fairly faithful performance until the last verse where, in a very Metallica fashion, James changes the lyrics from “rubber tommy water gun” to “fully loaded tommy gun” and dropping the F bomb twice. DragonAttack will have my head for this, but I feel that with the almost acapella nature to the verses, Hetfield’s bark fills the space with much more audacity and authority than Freddie’s original take did. That said, Kirk’s solo is not as good as Brian May’s and I don’t think it ever could be been. I was lucky enough to see Metallica play this one at the second Perth show in 2010. Still a damn cool song, and it segued right into Whiplash like it was just the next part of the same song!

So What by Anti-Nowhere League is next. Goddamn it, I truly do not like this wart of a song. This is just vulgarity and lewdness for the sake of it and I just do t get the appeal. This was released as the B-Side to Sad But True. The lyrics cover bestiality,  sexually transmitted diseases and alcoholic and drug related activities. Solo is decent, the crew clearly have fun with this one. I hate it. Good for anyone who does like it. Next song.

Killing Time. Ah, much better! Written by an underrated band called Sweet Savage which featured a guitarist by the name of Vivian Campbell (as in Dio’s and Def Leppard’s Vivian Campbell), this was a nice, short and punchy number with some banging lead guitar sections and a great chorus. This is a song that Metallica were covering all the way back in Ron McGoveney’s garage  while Dave Mustaine was still the lead guitarist! James’ voice is the perfect one to cover this song having heard the original. You can quite clearly hear Jason’s voice covering the titular vocal lines. Lars extends the intro a little, with James and Kirk adding extra guitar leads that were not part of the original. Kirk shreds all throughout this one and it stands as one of my favourite covers on this release. Definitely the better of the two originally recorded for Black Album singles. 

And then we reach the final four tracks, or as they were known on the Hero of the Day extended single, Motörheadache. So the story goes that for Lemmy’s 50th birthday in 1995 (god rest his soul), Metallica played a special gig, all dressed up looking like Lemmy in his signature stage costume and fake warts. On the Hero single, Metallica released 4 tracks that were recorded to 2- track tape during the rehearsal sessions. Three of the songs would be taken from the Overkill album and a fourth from Bomber, but all 4 would be taken from the year 1979!

These four tracks open with Overkill, meaning we start with another great Lars drum intro. Jason’s got a different bass tone here to match in more with the famous tone produced through Murder One (don’t worry, we’ll get to that song soon enough), and it sounds really tight. James, on the other hand, does not sound quite right here. I feel like he’s trying to do a Lemmy impression, but it just isn’t quite right. As expected, the bass shines through a lot on this mix. It’s really a rhythm section show until Kirk solos. Lars keeps that double bass pumping the whole time. James very clearly loses his place during the third verse. One of the complaints that I had about the song Better Than You was that I hated the fake ending stuff around, but I actually kinda like it here. Feels very right in it’s own way.

Damage Case comes straight in with its bluesy feel. This is one that I don’t really feel all that much for. It’s fine enough in the moment, but when you realise that we live in an age where one can easily look up the vastly superior version from 2009 where Lemmy sings with the Metallica guys, there’s no real need to visit this version too often unless you’re listening to Garage Inc. as we are here. It sounds like James and Kirk get a tradeoff in this one and I really like Jason’s bass fill. Here’s the better version in my opinion for anyone interested ( https://youtu.be/jF8kmiGHBOw )

Stone Dead Forever has a really cool intro, with the bass leading to the drums leading to the guitar thing. This one feels different, which is right being the song from Bomber. The intro feels like it’s out of time, though it’s actually how the song goes. This is another one where James fairly obviously drops the lyrics a few times., but also another one where Jason gets a few moments to shine. It’s definitely  another James solo here, with it actually sounding like the exact tone used on 2X4 at a few points. I think if this was done as a proper studio version instead of this rehearsal track, this would’ve been a real favourite.

The final song of the whole two disc package is Too Late Too Late and I actually really like this song. The riff is so punchy, James’ vocal approach finally feels like it’s hitting the right strides and I actually really like the chorus. I think it’s a great way to end this whole experience in a higher note. Jason’s backing vocal embellishes the title line perfectly and it feels like this is the one that the guys had the most together at this point on the day. And hey, we end the album with a James solo, how awesome!

Overall, I wish these had been done to the same quality as everything else on the album, as it kinda lets the songs down. Cool to have the rehearsal footage, but I feel I’d come back to these a lot more if it was James singing the songs in his regular voice and actually fully singing the lyrics instead of stumbling over it all, I think these would be the best four tracks on the album. Instead, I kinda get burned out listening to James force it and keep dropping words.

And that’s it. That’s Garage Inc.‘s second disc. Some really great stuff, some real average stuff and one song I absolutely loathe (I’d take Poor Twisted Me over So What any day!). It almost serves as somewhat[ of a time capsule when we go from Ride to Justice to Black and end with Load era material. Worth a spin for sure.

Alright, let’s rank these.
Blitzkrieg, Killing Time, Helpless, Stone Cold Crazy, Breadfan, The Small Hours, Am I Evil?, The Prince, The Wait, Too Late Too Late, Overkill, Last Caress/Green Hell, Stone Dead Forever, Crash Course in Brain Surgery, Damage Case, So What.

That’s it for this one. Catch you sometime next week for our next live bonus chapter where we look at the groundbreaking S&M (and I Disappear).
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DTA

« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2023, 07:54:12 AM »
Great write-ups. I love Garage Inc. Disc 1 quite a bit and think it works really well as an actual, full album with good pacing that you wouldn't expect from a covers album. It's Electric is probably my favorite on there, with Mercyful Fate, Astronomy, and Tuesday's Gone being other favorites.

Disc 2 is also a great compilation of all their previous covers. Blitzkrieg is certainly a highlight, and I also love So What! (the song that wrecked James' voice and caused him to re-examine his vocal style), Killing Time, and The Prince. One of my favorite live Metallica moments is in this video at 1:28:45 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v7oK3oG0sY&ab_channel=FabianEXP84) where James downpicks the absolute fuck out of that post solo riff.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2023, 09:45:27 AM »
So What by Anti-Nowhere League is next. Goddamn it, I truly do not like this wart of a song. This is just vulgarity and lewdness for the sake of it and I just do t get the appeal. This was released as the B-Side to Sad But True. The lyrics cover bestiality,  sexually transmitted diseases and alcoholic and drug related activities. Solo is decent, the crew clearly have fun with this one. I hate it. Good for anyone who does like it. Next song.

I am totally with you on the vulgarity and lewdness for the sake of it.  99% of the time I hate/despise stuff like this. Not here!  :huh:  And it would have scored highly in the countdown if allowed.  Don't ask me why (oops, wrong artist)

Our next cover comes from between albums with a cover of Queen’s Stone Cold Crazy from Sheer Heart Attack. Metallica originally covered this song for Elektra’s 40th anniversary compilation, Rubáiyát, and later used as the B-Side for Enter Sandman. This cover actually saw Metallica win their second ever Grammy in 1990 for best Metal performance. This song speeds up an already pretty quick song, seeing James spit out Freddie’s lyrics at a rapid fire pace. Other than that, it’s a fairly faithful performance until the last verse where, in a very Metallica fashion, James changes the lyrics from “rubber tommy water gun” to “fully loaded tommy gun” and dropping the F bomb twice. DragonAttack will have my head for this, but I feel that with the almost acapella nature to the verses, Hetfield’s bark fills the space with much more audacity and authority than Freddie’s original take did. That said, Kirk’s solo is not as good as Brian May’s and I don’t think it ever could be been. I was lucky enough to see Metallica play this one at the second Perth show in 2010. Still a damn cool song, and it segued right into Whiplash like it was just the next part of the same song!

Sacrilege!!!!  :lol

Maybe a bit surprising, but you're not going to get much of an argument from me.

Basically copying/pasting my comment from the countdown thread:

There's a handful of covers of a certain band that I actually like and admire (two by Tommy Johansson that TAC passed along to me that were  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy).  The rest....I get about 15-30 seconds in and 'click, that's enough'.

And then you have 'Stone Cold Crazy'  Seeing the rehearsal footage for The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert .....   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21_dD8c0-k&t=27s ..... with James, Toni Iommi, Sir Brian May.....Roger Taylor discussing the set list with James, James and Tony briefly at a bar....

And then that performance!!!   :tup  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JNz7QlYwk4&list=PL598E5638FC92B022&index=3 
I would have ranked it at #1 in the countdown.  I think back to that time, and was blown away by the fact that a band as big as Metallica would release a Queen cover, and do it so damn frickin' well.  There's a lot of care that was put into their version. They also had to tread carefully with this one.  The admiration is more than apparent.   :tup

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:50:51 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »
I already had the majority of the disc 2 songs on a bootleg compilation (The Complete Garage Days), but I was happy to have officially released versions and sold off the bootleg.  These were the songs that I was dying to have early on in my fandom.  I'd sit up late at night listening to Mandatory Metallica at 10pm on my local rock radio station.  They would play a 3-song block, and often included the rare cover songs.  I'd jump out of bed and quickly record the song on a tape.

Am I Evil / Blitzkreig - Am I Evil has become a staple, though the only time I saw it played live was by Battery, the Metallica tribute band who actually opened for Metallica on the Garage Inc. tour.  Blitzkreig is one of my favorite covers of theirs.

Breadfan / The Prince - also awesome covers.  I've always wanted to see Breadfan played live, since that's such a great riff.  The Prince is a song I usually forget about, but when I listen to it, it always kicks my ass.

Stone Cold Crazy / So What / Killing Time - A fun trio of songs.  Stone Cold Crazy bores me lately, but I like that it's a faster, heavier version than the original.  It was fun hearing James sing this during the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.   So What - I love it!  I don't care that it's vulgar, it's fun as hell.  My favorite memory of this song is the bet that the band had in the 90's.  They'd always dare each other to play this on a television appearance, and they eventually did on some European MTV awards show, also playing Last Caress.  Someone in the band (James) won some money for that one.  Killing Time - another awesome cover and one that is overlooked, yet is always another ass-kicker.

Motorhead songs - I like them, but usually only jam to Overkill.  Lately, I want to hear the originals, since we no longer have Lemmy around.  But they're a nice tribute to the band and they do them justice. 

I'm glad that Metallica pulled all of these songs together for an official release and expanded on it with the first disc of all new cover songs.

Offline billboy73

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter Eight: Garage Inc. Disc One)
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2023, 08:59:44 AM »
I too love this album. They are a ridiculously good covers band.

Definitely agree with this!  They made these songs their own in most cases. 

Disc 1 - A great mix of stuff to be found here, and the production is awesome as well.  Mercyful Fate is the clear highlight.  As James put it on the tour, "12 minutes of Satan". The Sabbra Cadabra mash-up with A National Acrobat is really well done as well.  Not a huge fan of Loverman like most have mentioned, but everything else is solid.

Disc 2 - Blitzkrieg has always been my favorite Metallica cover, with Breadfan not too far behind.  Hearing the full version of Am I Evil on the tour was awesome as well.  Killing Time is also another great cover.  The Motorheadache stuff is cool, with Overkill being the highlight.  I love the swagger of Damage Case too.  Great to have all this stuff compiled in one place.

The liner notes are great too.  I read that booklet so many times.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Bonus Chapter: S&M and I Disappear)
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2023, 11:38:56 PM »
S&M - 1999
Setlist: 1. The Ecstasy of Gold. 2. The Call of Ktulu. 3. Mater of Puppets. 4. Of Wolf and Man. 5. The Thing That Should Not Be. 6. Fuel. 7. The Memory Remains. 8. No Leaf Clover. 9. Hero of the Day. 10. Devil’s Dance. 11. Bleeding Me. 12. Nothing Else Matters. 13. Until It Sleeps. 14. For Whom the Bell Tolls. 15. -Human. 16. Wherever I May Roam. 17. The Outlaw Torn. 18. Sad But True. 19. One. 20. Enter Sandman 21. Battery
https://open.spotify.com/album/1OZaosC2RtsE2TEqLziwAD?si=nJWKP58FRUmw6O_vzPiOug

I Disappear - 2000
https://open.spotify.com/album/7cJ4oRwyJ5BU1oj29AquOM?si=JpjtRWpGS6C9vX4Btu6KTg

So back in the Black Album deep dive, I mentioned an absolute legend named Michael Kamen who composed the string arrangements for Nothing Else Matters. Even back then, he had planted an idea in the minds of Metallica. “Why don’t you try doing a concert with a symphony orchestra?” He remained friends with the bands throughout the course of the decade, but it seemed the idea had come and gone.

And then, one day in 1998, Michael got a call. “Metallica is interested in your idea!”. An idea, almost eight years down the trail, finally looking to come into fruition. And so the collaboration began. Setlists began to fly, arrangements were being composed and rehearsed, things were getting into full swing. A few songs were discussed that didn’t make the cut, including both Unforgiven songs, Through the Never, Fade to Black, Harvester of Sorrow, Low Man’s Lyric and, surprisingly, …And Justice For All. Wasting My Hate remained on the setlist for the show until a week or two beforehand. Metallica also offered up two brand new songs, completed just for these shows. 

We know that a young Metallica would’ve turned their nose at this kind of show (except for Cliff Burton who’d have likely been all for it) and many old school metal heads would have opposed of the orchestra, but this album debuted at number 2 on the Billboard charts and went Platinum within 2 months of being released. I think it’s fair to say that many of us would look at this album now as a bit of a live masterpiece for the band. I certainly do.  So, shall we take a look at those two mights from April of 1999?

The concert opens with The Ecstasy of Gold, as it always has. Except this version was performed live by the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and it sounds so energetic in comparison to the original recording. As much as I love the sound of Ennio Morricone and I miss the operatic vocals from the original, I just hold a special place for this performance of the song.

The first member of Metallica to hit the stage is James, who starts up The Call of Ktulu. For a song that hadn’t been played in 14 years, this is a hell of an opener that makes a powerful statement. Opening with an instrumental like this puts the focus on the music without James’ vocal overwhelming it. Jason’s bass line is definitely different to what Cliff did here, making it very much his own but also allowing extra room for the orchestra to handle those moments where Cliff’s distorted bass mimicked Cthulu’s screams. This is a song that I really love with the symphonic arrangement. I’d almost dare to say it’s even better than the original. Turns out the Grammy board would agree, as this won best rock instrumental performance in 2001 (don’t ask me how, given that the track was released in November of 1999 and it was my belief that all nominations had to be from within the year of release). The harmony section towards the end of the song sounds so thick and awesome with those added orchestrations!

As the coda of Ktulu comes to a crescendo, Lars begins the four count straight into Master of Puppets. And what’s even better, it’s the full version of the song again! Hooray! James’ voice comes in strong, very much still in that second vocal peak we talked about from Garage Inc. the year before. The orchestra provides some great support lines during the main song including some of those great Kamen stabs, but I think their presence is best utilised in the melodic section. Opening with Marimbas doubling James’ clean riff and then providing a beautiful backing melody under the harmonies and James’ solo, this section was purpose built for a show like this. They also help to build tension in the bridge before Kirk’s solo perfectly. I also really like the moment where the violins join in on one specific lick.

From the 80s straight into the 90s. Of Wolf and Man is up next, or as James calls it on the DVD “Of Wolfgang and Man”. This is another song where the orchestra excels at building extra tension. This one probably doesn’t have the best parts for the orchestra, but it still sounds awesome. Jason and James howling never fails to bring a smile to my face here.

Another song that I feel the orchestra adds a lot to is The Thing That Should Not Be. The ominous intro feels like a horror movie score, the cellos add a lot of extra weight to the heavy chug of the distorted guitars. They even add more melody which helps to break up a lot of the dull monotony of the original. This is a slightly shorter version of the song where the second verse is removed from the song, with the final verse being placed into the second verse section and having the solo lead straight into the final chorus. This is the version I reach for more often than not if I really feel like hearing Thing. Kirk doing those scratches from the end of the song live is a great moment.

Kirk gives off a short doodle of that stereotypical funeral song that I cannot for the life of me think of the name of. I thought it was Funeral March of the Marionettes, but it turns out that was the part of the Black era solo that I wanted to know the name of. Anyway, that turns into Kirk playing with his whammy bar mimicking the sound of an accelerating engine that gives way to James giving those fateful words that we all love. “Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!”. I really like the symphony adding to the second main riff the way that they do, but this is a song that I don’t think benefited as much from the symphony accompaniment as others. The second and third choruses are solid, but I think they kinda ruin the jamming nature this song generally has. Not a fan of James’ “ooh yeah-heh” here, but I do like his “burn motherf###er burn” right before the solo.

Being the newest original albums at the time, Load and ReLoad do get a bit of a spotlight here.  The Memory Remains is up next and this one definitely works better for me with the symphony. It adds a great vibe to the song, embellishing the riff nicely instead of getting too far away from what makes Memory what it is. I absolutely love the sound of the symphony in the “na na na na” sections though. I think this really is the ultimate version of the song. I really like the ending where the band cuts out and the symphony keeps doing their thing with the audience singing along.

And then we get to the big song that makes this more than just another live album. No Leaf Clover. This is one of only four songs where Metallica does the heavy verse, soft chorus structure and it’s one of my favourite of the lot. That heavy riff right before the verse is such a cool jam and the verses feel really uplifting, even more so with the symphony behind it. I love the effect that James uses on his vocals at the start of those choruses. Kirk’s solo is great, and the breakdown is so heavy. I love that they’ve already used the riff here at the start of the song as an orchestral motif, but double down on it for the breakdown. This is honestly just an awesome song and again, I was lucky to see it back at that first show in 2010, just minus the symphony throughout. Metallica still play this one on and off to this day and I’m glad they do coz it’s an absolute banger.

Hero of the Day is our firer proper ballad of the show, coming in a whole 8 songs into the set. As I mentioned in the Cunning Stunts deep dive, I think this one is definitely the best live version of the song and probably the best version of the song overall. Opting to keep the drums for the second verse while the orchestra keeps playing beautiful melodies behind it all, the main verses feel like they belong in a film soundtrack while the heavy bridges are still given some extra punch. James and Jason still nail the bridge call and response section, though I wish Jason’s mic was a little louder in the mix. Other than that, perfect!

Why stop there with the new songs? Devil’s Dance with added strings sounds even more dangerously alluring than the original. This is just awesome, once again giving a song that left little impression in the studio a much bigger presence live. The band plays really tight, although they’re quite easily outdone by the symphony here. If this is what Hell sounds like, I’d love to hear Metallica’s version of Heaven!

Closing our main set wonderfully is Bleeding Me. We talked about this song at length during the Load review, coming to an almost universal conclusion that this is one of the two best songs on the album. This is another one that’s amplified by the rich tones of the orchestra. There arrangements add another layer of almost melancholia over a great song that Metallica are already having one of their best performances of. I love James having a bit of a moment vocally before that heavy section kicks in, which straight off the bat is embellished by cellos so heavy you’d think you were watching an action scene in a James Bond film. I love the orchestra backing that last heavy moment before it goes back into the clean riff again. It’s a great way to close the first half!

This marks the intermission for the concert, something that I believe is fairly common for orchestral shows. This is also where CD1 ends. What an excellent first half we’ve had with deep cuts and new material!

The second act begins with a choice I wouldn’t ever think of as an opening song, Nothing Else Matters. This is a great version, with the orchestra playing the parts from the album, with the first verses and chorus sounding almost exactly like the Elevator Version that was released as a B-Side. There’s not really much to say other than “it’s Nothing Else Matters”. I think the version on this album is much better than S&M2, making this likely the definitive version, but that’s about it. James plays this one on an acoustic guitar, which makes the ending solo sound really different. A distorted acoustic tone. Neat! The band skip over the final verse of the song, but still play the outro from the album.

Next up, another ballad. Until It Sleeps. I don’t know why, but the first orchestral flourish here feels almost Japanese to my mind. This one is a better performance from the band than the version on Cunning Stunts and the orchestra really help to alleviate the totally empty feeling that the verses had on that live version. I really like Kirk’s solo even more here than on the album, which is different seeing as though it’s the same part. Another definitive edition to be found right here!

Now we’re finally back into the heavy territory with For Whom the Bell Tolls. I’d have liked this a lot more if the symphony had doubled the bass riff here instead of staying with their own thing, though I do love that they lead into the second riff before James and Kirk get there. The interplay between the band and the orchestra in the lead sections is amazing! Nothing really beats the original on Ride the Lightning, but I definitely enjoy this.

The second new song of the evening kicks off next. -Human (Minus Human) feels almost like a spiritual precursor to everything that made up St. Anger in just a few years time. This slower tempo heavy groove of a riff in drop tuning feels like it would have been right at home on the album amidst songs like Some Kind of Monster and My World. However, we get a solid snare, fairly decent lyrics and something resembling a solo. This song was only ever performed at the original S&M shows, but it’s a very solid rocker. The orchestral intro lays it on heavy as well. Not really as much to say on this as No Leaf Clover, but it’s definitely no slouch.

Wherever I May Roam is up next. Kirk plays the sitar intro live, which is a very cool moment especially offset by those cinematic strings. This song always felt adventurous and cinematic to me on the Black Album which is definitely heightened by those strings, with the choruses and the harmonic section being some of my favourite moments here. You’re probably getting sick of me saying “it’s great” by now, but this album is just so full of absolutely fantastic performances.

This next song is definitely not an exception and I’d be lying if I didn’t say this was my favourite song on the whole album. The Outlaw Torn is our final track from the Load era and this is a perfect bed for the orchestra to go all out and construct one of the best scores of them all for the evening. James’ vocals are damn near perfection, as are his solo sections. Jason’s bass is so thick and strong. Lars keeps a nice strong groove going and Kirk’s solo is much better here than it was on Load. This is just amazing and probably the best live song of the entire 90s era in my opinion. It’s marvellous!

Then we have Sad But True. It’s another solid performance, but I don’t think this one benefits from the orchestra all that much. This is meant to just be a heavy and kinda ugly song, so sticking extra melodic layers on top of it kinda dilutes the original intention of the song for my ears. Don’t get me wrong, I think the arrangement is cool, I just don’t think this was necessarily the right choice for the setlist as it is.

The sounds of gunfire and explosions erupt through the PA for the only pre-recorded track of the night. While this performance doesn’t feature any pyro showcase for obvious reasons, this version of One is allowed to be one of the best by the added melodies and harmonies that just add to the tragic tale the lyrics portray. That said, I don’t know that what’s happening for the heavy bridge and onwards is necessarily the right choices to make in this arrangement. I do like hearing the Timpani and Cellos hitting the machine gun chugs hard with Metallica though. I think this is another great ”no” section for James and I absolutely love the orchestra nailing that harmony section with James and Kirk.

Enter Sandman is next and again it’s nothing all that special. I feel like the big three songs from the Black Album don’t really excite me all that much anymore unless something spectacular happens (like Cunning Stunts and Through the Never) or I’m actually there to witness it. This arrangement kinda feels a little bit generic, like if you’ve been paying attention to the orchestra throughout the show, you’ve got a fair idea of exactly what this is going to sound like put over this song. It’s easily my least favourite track in the whole album just because it doesn’t push the envelope in any way. Favourite moment of this particular performance is actually the ending, where we get a little teaser of the ending of Phantom Lord. Makes me wonder what a full version of a Kill ‘Em All song would’ve been like. We sadly still don’t officially know to this day.

But every single twinge of indifference that I felt for Sandman is repaid in full by the intro alone of the next song. The closing song for an amazing evening of music is Battery, but with an orchestra only intro that is easily my favourite moment of everything on this setlist. The symphony alone was amazing, but Metallica gives an absolutely fantastic performance of this song and I feel that the arrangement for this song is just about flawless. Do I wish they’d have done the bridge before the solo? Yeah. But man, that’s pretty much just looking a gift horse in the mouth at this point. Everything here is pushed to eleven and it’s amazing! Metallica even incorporate the ending of Damage, Inc. into the song before everything is said and done. What a way to close a concert!

It’s easily the best Metallica live album we’ve covered so far. It might technically be the best of them all, but for now, I have a different favourite that is yet to come. Current live ranking is S&M, Binge and Purge Seattle, Cunning Stunts and on the bottom is Binge and Purge San Diego.

It’s truly amazing how on top of their game they were here, given that just under a year  from the performance date and less than six months from the album’s release, Metallica started the lowest point in their careers. We’ll cover all the Napster controversy and negativity that started here in about 2 weeks time when I cover the  Some Kind of Monster movie, but for now, let’s dig into the song from which it all stemmed. I Disappear.

I Disappear is the only non-album single to date for Metallica. This was written for the soundtrack of Mission Impossible 2. The music video for this is absolutely top notch, by the way and I really recommend watching it. ( https://youtu.be/nYSDC3cHoZs ). This song definitely takes a step away from where they were with the Load era, going for a much more simplistic approach. The lyrics are also written in a very simple vain, with the verses mostly repeating a single line before a repeated refrain and then the same line again. The chorus is super atmospheric though, which sounds really good. It’s interesting to note though that everyone’s favourite snare sound from Lars is already stating to rear it’s head a full 3 years before St. Anger. The production on this is pretty poor too, compared to the golden age they had throughout the 90s. Kirk’s solo is really nothing to write home about either, being a simple repeated motif. I sound very negative on this, but I actually really like the song and think people should definitely check it out.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2023, 03:50:03 AM »
Great write up dude.

I will start by saying this is easily my favourite all time live album, it is just flawless.

I mentioned earlier in the thread but for me S&M was actually the first time I'd heard any of the Load/Reload songs. You'd said about some of these songs being the definitive versions of certain songs. I totally agree, specifically with Fuel, The Memory Remains, Hero of the Day and Outlaw Torn. I'd also agree with you on this version of Ktulu! The S&M version is probably my all time favourite Metallica song.

That first 20 minutes of music from Ecstasy>Ktulu>Puppets is hands down the best 20 minutes and three somg run the band ever recorded. Just everything about it is chill enducing.

If there is anyone reading this that hasn't heard S&M, you need to rectify that now. It's a game changer and the best live album ever recorded.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2023, 06:50:49 AM »
S&M is just so killer. I wore the DVD of the show out when I was a kid. The setlist was fantastic and the arrangements were perfect.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2023, 10:58:08 AM »
S&M is a great show for sure.  I agree that there a few songs that don't really work.  Fuel and Sad But True are the 2 that standout as not great choices.  I also really hate the dropping of the bridge in Battery.  That part would have sounded great with the symphony furiously pounding away as well.  Interesting to know what other songs were considered, as I had never read about that before.  Fade to Black is the biggest omission to me.  Maybe they just couldn't make it work, but that song seems like a ringer for this treatment.  There are a few others that would be interesting outside of the instrumentals, Disposable Heroes could be cool.  The Struggle Within with the intro part is another interesting one along with the at the time 2 Unforgivens.  I like both of the new songs as well, with No Leaf Clover being the better of the 2.

All in all, a really good album that I still revisit fairly often. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
S&M is probably my favorite live album at this point. It set the standard for how I want orchestra's utilized in these situations. So often a band (metal) will play with an orchestra and the orchestra is either doubling the keyboard or doubling the guitar or playing some basic chords. Kamen was just such a genius in how he made the orchestra a distinct 5th member of the band with its own personality that complimented (mostly) the songs without just being an added layer.

That sadly didn't carry to S&M 2 but we'll talk about that later.

Speaking of songs that should've been played but didn't, I feel like My Friend of Misery would have been killer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2023, 11:08:09 AM »
I'm behind on my listening to keep up with this thread!  I'm going through S&M now, but will put my current thoughts below:

When S&M came out, I was SO into it.  I was 19 and loved Metallica.  METALLICA WITH AN ORCHESTRA!  YEAH!  As I got older, my interest in this album really faded a lot.  I felt like the orchestra was just crammed into some songs.  Master of Puppets does not sound good to me with the symphony and hearing it now just annoys me beyond end.  Some songs really work (Fuel, Outlaw Torn), some don't.  What aggravates me even further is that we never got non-symphonic versions of the Load and Reload songs, and that feels like a wasted opportunity.  I did like that the DVD had the option to turn off the orchestra track, but I sold it when I purged a lot of my collection, and only have the audio cd's now.  Honestly, if I want to hear Metallica live, I'll reach for Live Shit or bootlegs from the classic era.

I respect them for doing it, but I always compare it to the studio album that the Scorpions did with a symphony at the same time, and that album came out so much better. 

Re-listening now and I forgot that James cracks up during Thing that Should Not Be and then goes immediately back into evil James mode.  I love that.  I have the volume low, so I can tune out the orchestra a little as I listen.  The non-thrashy songs have more space for the orchestra to push through and carry some melody.  I just wish that they also put out a regular version of the show or recorded one of the Reload tour shows so we could have standard live versions as well. 

** Edit - 4 songs away from finishing S&M.  There were less older songs than I remember.  For some reason, MoP just grates on me on this album and it often colors my opinion of the album.  In reality, I do generally like it, even if the orchestra could be utilized better in some areas.  I like when they double the riffs like on Fuel or Bells and give a big low-end crunchy riff a higher pitch.  I'll have to listen more closely sometime to see if that happens more often in areas where I've never noticed it before.

I Disappear - I was still in college when this came out, and I remember racing out to get the MI 2 soundtrack for a copy of this song.  I think I sold the CD off well before I ended up ripping my collection to digital, so I actually don't have a copy of it anymore.  I really liked the song then and don't really have anything bad to say about it.  It was fun to have Metallica contribute an extra song somewhere.

I do recall a story that the Load/Reload sessions produced 30 songs.  They released 27 of them on the albums, two on S&M and I Disappear was the final song released. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 12:37:30 PM by Grappler »

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter Nine: St. Anger)
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2023, 06:11:17 AM »
St. Anger - 2003
Tracklisting: 1. Frantic. 2. St. Anger. 3. Some Kind of Monster. 4. Dirty Window. 5. Invisible Kid. 6. My World. 7. Shoot Me Again. 8. Sweet Amber. 9. The Unnamed Feeling. 10. Purify. 11. All Within My Hands

https://open.spotify.com/album/0HKpzK9ZoJ0oVA43E5gewM?si=8OWuf655TjeYogjcd-mQFw

S&M had proved to be a risk that would pay off and Metallica quickly adopted No Leaf Clover as a part of their regular setlist for their touring throughout 1999 and 2000. But tension was growing within Metallica. Jason Newsted found himself in a tricky place, becoming unhappy with the lack of output he was allowed to give to songwriting. Deciding to do a side project called Echobrain, James put his foot down saying Jason could either commit 100% to Metallica or he would be outed from the band.
On November 30th, 2000, Jason would play his final song as a member of Metallica. Fittingly, the song would be Fade to Black.

Metallica reconvened at an Army base in San Francisco called The Presidio to begin working on their eighth album in 2001. After several unproductive sessions and arguments, James would step away from the band and check himself into rehab, primarily for alcoholism but also citing other addictions. Recording would not reconvene until May of 2002. The songs recorded in those sessions became St. Anger and would be a great representation of the hardships the band were going through at the time. Which is the nice way of saying that this album is very rough.

From a not-so-great mix to the much memed snare sound, St. Anger definitely has more than its fair share of flaws, many of which hold this album back for many people. This deep dive is going to focus on the album as is, but I’m also going to share my take on what I feel would have made these songs a little better from a songwriting perspective. I’m not going to say “this needed to be mixed better” or “would have been better if Lars’ snare had been on”. I won’t even bring up the awful lack of guitar solos. This is saying with more or less exactly what was here, this is what I’d do.

Frantic is the album opener this time around. This actually starts things off rather well in my opinion. We get a good bit of pace setting before setting up the main riff. James’ grit is a lot more present than it’s been on the last few albums. I like the clean pre-chorus a lot, if I’m honest, and while I know that it really is a goofy lyric, “frantic tick tick tick tick tick tock” works for me. It’s not a stretch to say that this is probably the best song on the album for many people and there are times where I’d certainly agree. I think the only thing I’d change here is that I would perhaps change the last pre-chorus to being a fully heavy version of it, something akin to how the last chorus of I Disappear is fully distorted. The outro here is a great rocking jam moment and I feel like it maybe could’ve been a little longer.

Up next, the title track. This features a great build up in the intro and some pretty tight double bass drumming from Lars. The verses are a little uninspired though. The chorus features a nice call back to Damage, Inc. with the “f**k it all and f**king no regrets” tag from the third verse being St. Anger’s chorus line. I must say, this song feels pretty boring by being 7 minutes long and pretty much just being a loop since the verse lyrics never change. The bridge, on the other hand, is a perfectly serviceable lyric that I find to be a real crucial point in understanding a lot of this album’s central message. I think if we had gotten a different second verse, this would’ve been a bit better as a song. The problem with it really is the amount of repetition here. Maybe less of the build between verses.

Some Kind of Monster is hellishly long for the content it provides. I do like the main riff, and I don’t hate James’ rhythm part in the second riff even if I don’t care for Kirk’s lead over it. This song takes almost two minutes to reach the verse riff! Unfortunately, even once we get there, it feels like this song just doesn’t have that much to say. The “are we the people?” refrain is a decent enough moment or at least would be if James delivered it a little better vocally. Some of the verses are very clunkily written and I don’t feel we needed four of them. I could quite happily go from the first verse to the prechorus and chorus and then straight into the fourth verse. However, I must say that this bridge is a total banger! The riff that brings it in and out is possibly one of my favourites of the entire album and that “ominous, I’m in us” line is pretty awesome. Even the official edit version found on the Some Kind of Monster EP doesn’t scratch the itch quite right. Also, what the hell is that ending? Come on guys!

Dirty Window is a song that you may have heard recently, having been brought back for the 40th anniversary shows and then sticking around for the 2022 tour dates. This song does a lot right for me, following a few trends set up by Frantic, such as the clean pre-choruses that make the main chorus lines much heavier. I especially like the little half time feel that leads to the second half of the verses. Where this song gets a bit bogged down is the instrumental section. Lars’ drumming changes this up nicely, but (breaking my own rule for the first time here) having heard the live version, this section is so clearly building up to the song’s closing bridge by adding the “I, I, I” backing vocals. I’d have almost been happier if those backing vocals weren’t added in the earlier instance and we got a little bass fill or really anything else there. Otherwise, yeah, really solid song.

Which is something that I can’t say about the next track, Invisible Kid. Tuned low enough to be a Djent riff, this is another song that follows the problems of St. Anger by being so damn repetitive. We easily could’ve had half the verse lengths. Two out of three chorus segments work well for me, but I don’t like the whole “open your mind/heart, I’m beating right here” bit. The “I’m OK, just go away” would’ve been a better chorus as it’s an intriguing part. Third verse is just the first one repeated another two times, we get all three segments of the chorus again and then a really clunky transition into the first jam section and the bridge. Yuck, that bridge. James tried something here that really didn’t pay off and ends up irking me. Oh, and then we get a fourth verse. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you, but it’s the second verse repeated again! Holy hell, this song had a lot of potential, but I really can’t put my finger on how I’d save it. A lot of repetition and a chorus fragment too many goes a long way to put this well on the bottom of my list, ending up as number 100 of 109 in the ranking’s for KevShmev’s top 50 rundown on my end.

In a result I’m sure a few of you will find surprising, I think My World is actually a banger. I like virtually everything about this song, I think the verse break and pre-chorus both work well. The chorus, while a bit lyrically lacking, is nice and punchy. The first bridge section is a good lyric, I like the inclusion of the backing vocal that changes the second bridge section a little each pass. This song works for me in almost every way. What am I changing? Get rid of the “enough’s enough” during the outro. That’s it! I genuinely enjoy this song and wish they’d have played it live!

Shoot Me Again is another song that I’ve always found to be a highlight of the album. I really like the strange wah and scratching thing that Kirk adds to the intro here, I think the main riff is very bouncy and I even like the subtleties of the guitars that sound like a vocal harmony. This is a lyric that very much feels like Metallica’s take on karma and standing strong through a lot of the criticism they’ve had over the last few years. The back and forth with the echo that kicks off the bridge section is a really cool moment and I actually really like the almost rapped “wake the sleeping giant, wake the beast” lyrics. Metallica trying something different that works really well for me. Now, what am I changing? I’d maybe have gotten rid of the first verse break section, though I’d keep the second with the “take a shot” backing vocal. That’s really it. All the shots I take, what difference did I make? Another one that I turn to when I think of “good songs” on St. Anger.

Sweet Amber has a really badass main riff. I can’t fault the main riff when it’s played at full speed feel. I’m not so much of a fan when they add the higher octave in the verse. Weirdly, the pre-chorus here is almost a direct rip of the pre-chorus from St. Anger. The repeated verses are here again, but at least here they are repeated within the confines of that verse section and then the next verse changes. Still feel like it’s a bit lazy though. I like the “using what I want to get what you want” line and I can easily get suckered into the instrumental jam section here. They have only played this song live once, but this means that there is a version of the song with a solo. Seemingly controversially, I don’t believe it’s needed. Get some more lyrics in those verses and we’ve got a decent song. I quite like the payoff of the choruses asking “how sweet are you? How sweet does it get?” with the ending of “it’s never as great as it seems”.

The Unnamed Feeling remains one of my favourite St. Anger songs. Interetingly, this serves as a ballad for the album, retaining the heavy verse/soft chorus structure of The Unforgiven and I Disappear. It’s really hard to put my finger on what I love so much about this song. To many, this is easily just noise. I think the build-up to the first verse is very well structured, I think the lyrics are great, I think James’ vocal performance is damn near perfection for the song and the subject matter. Speaking honestly, this bridge is extremely therapeutic to scream out after a bad day. Try it. No notes here. This is up there with Frantic as one of the best songs from St. Anger.

The same cannot ever be said for Purify. This has salvageable moments, but goddamn is this terrible! If you don’t already agree with me, just listen to the chorus. Ouch. Problem is, the lyrics are kinda decent in the verses, something lacking from many of the other songs. I will say this though, the instrumental bridge riff is my favourite riff on the album, so I hate that it’s wasted on this song. The ending is another great jam, somewhat like Frantic at the start of the album. What would I do? Take those two instrumental sections and the verse lyrics and make something actually good out of it.

We end with All Within My Hands, a song which you probably know quite well but sounding nothing like this. This is thr original version of the song which later got turned into an acoustic rocker, which within itself is quite good and we will get there when we discuss S&M2. I actually really like this version though and it’ll be interesting to have to compare the two versions at the end of this. I definitely enjoy the hybrid clean and heavy verse sections, especially with the transition in the second verse with the sustained “all with in my”. I think the chorus is brutally heavy and the bridge is another great grooving riff. Can we agree though that shouting “kill” 37 times was maybe not a great way to end the album and yet also the most fitting thing for St. Anger?

Holy crap, it’s been a loud 75 minutes. I kinda enjoyed revisiting this album though. It’s definitely the bottom of my rankings for Metallica albums here and would only be second to bottom if we were talking Lulu, but I still enjoy listening to it sometimes. It’s anger. It’s therapy. It’s pain but it’s channelled into art. I can’t in good conscience give it more than a 6.75, but it’s worth the struggle.

Infancy, Progression, Ascension, Domination, Supremacy, Dilution, Continuation, Destruction. I think this is the album that cemented for many people that the old Metallica was perhaps too far gone to return to their former glory. For then, it certainly seemed so.

And there we have my late dive into St. Anger. Sorry for the wait guys, it's been a busy work week and I've been rehearsing fora gig this afternoon (I can post a clip of a Post Malone cover in the chat if anyone cares). As much as I want to hear your thoughts on the album, I'd love it if you undertook the challenge I did and tell me what you'd change without adding solos or fixing the production.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2023, 07:23:00 AM »
I rewatched Some Kind of Monster recently, for the first time in well over 15 years. A few thoughts/comments...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think St Anger, the album, is Metallica's reaction to Slipknot breaking through in the mainstream. For the first time in their career, they weren't at the forefront of metal and were out of touch with what the new generation were into. Slipknot literally hit a steel drum as part of their sound, their lyrics were hate fuelled and they didn't really incorporate solos in their music.

I think this was Metallica, for the first time, not following their gut and trying (and failing) to stay relevant. The lyrics are some of the worst Hetfield ever wrote, but maybe it was their attempt at "If you're 555, then I'm 666".

On top of this though, you can see in the early part of the movie that James struggles to loose some creative control. He's being pushed by Lars, Bob and Kirk to work collaboratively, and is clearly struggling with it. Add into the mix he has a camera in his face and he looks like he's trying hard to be psyched about music he thinks is subpar.

The lyrics on St. Anger are some of their worst, and I always thought it was all on James, and he'd lost the ability to write like he used to. In hindsight, it seems it may be more that in working collaboratively they were all working on and submitting. James appears like he's trying not to be overly negative and say anything that Kirk and Lars submit lyrically is shit, but let's be honest, some of it is.

Kirk writes to line "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle". This is just one of many lines on this album that left me all 'WTF?!'. To expand on what I said above I also feel the album is an experiment in letting go of their past process and trying something new. Were I in James' shoes, I'd have said fuck it, come on then let's try it, even though I know it's going to flop. James doesn't get off scott free though as he was in crisis and having a crisis of identity as well. It feels like the perfect storm to create a bad album, and it needed to happen to be able to move forward.

I've rambled but these are some of my thoughts on the creative process, and why it ended up the way it did. Did they ever make a collaborative album like this again? I'd be surprised if they did.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:48:09 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline DTA

« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2023, 05:24:48 PM »
I've tried to find something to like on St. Anger many times since it came out, and after 20 years, I just have to accept that I will never like it or anything on it. If it was listenable, then I'm sure there would be something that sticks out that I'd want to return to, but the harsh nature of the sound makes it impossible to even appreciate what are probably some good parts. The remake done by some random band on youtube with edited arrangements and better production shows what could've been a passable album, but as it stands, it's probably the worst album I've ever heard by any band.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2023, 07:38:17 PM »
St Anger might be their most honest album, and showed they had a little but ultimately nothing else to give.

Some good songs here and later in their career, but creatively they were spent. What a fantastic run and still see them whenever possible.

Great write ups Deadeye

Online Adami

« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2023, 07:54:46 PM »
St Anger might be their most honest album, and showed they had a little but ultimately nothing else to give.

I totally agree. It's a god damn honest album. Doesn't mean it's good, but it's very honest. And the documentary made me appreciate it, even if I don't actually enjoy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2023, 08:04:42 PM »
Strangely, I also enjoyed re-listening to this album on Friday, knowing that this post was coming.  I found myself tapping my foot and enjoying some of the riffs. 

At the time, I didn't know what to think.  It was a weird record coming from my favorite band.  I remember driving my 1972 Mustang across the state of Illinois to my friend's wedding, windows down (no air conditioning) and blasting this album while lamenting that I missed the DT/QR/FW tour, which was happening the same weekend.  I spent some time trying to enjoy it that year, but just couldn't find much to like outside of Frantic and St. Anger.  I used to watch the DVD with the live album rehearsal performance because it sounded a lot better.

As I re-listened to the record on Friday, I noticed a lot of the riffs, and I recalled how they went, despite not having seriously listened to the album in 10-15 years.  But it's so disjointed - there are some really good riffs all over it, but they don't go anywhere, or they're dropped in favor of a different verse riff.  The songs are way too long.  Still at the very bottom of the Metallica record rankings, but it was fun to give it a spin and see if I could pick up on anything that I liked about it. 

One of the comments above about James being more collaborative and not wanting to say anything negative is a great way to explain the record.  There is zero self-editing or trying to really hone in on things and the songs just become this amorphous blob of music. 

Offline Deadeye21

Some Kind of Monster – 2004

Let me preface this by saying, this is easily skippable for many readers. If you don’t want a blow-by-blow of the film, don’t read this and I’ll see you next week when we talk about the EP by the same name and the Le Bataclan concert.

Still here? Then let’s talk about Some Kind of Monster.

The intention was simple enough, as it started out. Metallica hired documentary directors Bruce Sinofsky and Joe Berlinger to film the process of recording their next album so that the footage could be used to promote the forthcoming album. It certainly made sense; they were still at the height of their game. But what the cameras captured instead was something much more destructive than their signature sound.

As we begin our feature presentation for the evening, the text on screen spells it out. The internal relationships were at an all-time low, the Napster campaign had fans screaming for blood and the band had not released a new album since 1997 (if we’re talking ReLoad). With a brief montage of the band performing Seek and Destroy over the years, we’re into Some Kind of Monster.

We open in January of 2001 with James, Lars, and Kirk in therapy with Phil Towle. It’s been nine months since they’ve played together, and they are already questioning if they’ll be continuing as a band. Alas, the next few scenes take place at the ex-Army base Presidio, including setting up a mobile studio and some of the early jamming that took place.  This is intercut with shots of the three guys showing off their passions outside of music, which gives a small insight into who they are as people. The first riffs we hear from the band are early versions of what would become Some Kind of Monster, including some of the lyrics and melodies that would make the final song. But we are also introduced early on to something that twosuitsluke was talking about, the decision to get the whole band involved in writing lyrics.

We get a look into a rejected song here, Temptation. It’s not all that good, but given the hook of their new single today, I thought I’d bring it up since this was one of my initial reactions. We also get a really cute scene of Lars’ son ‘playing drums’, which then cuts to Jason Newsted explaining why he left the band. “The biggest heavy metal band of all time and after all the choices we’ve made about squillions of dollars and squillions of people. And this? We can’t get over this?” James explains his position on things as not wanting anyone to leave the band and that his way of loving things is to suffocate them. A little bit of the meaning of All Within My Hands revealed.

Half an hour in, we get the inciting incident to the rest of the film. James and Lars start fighting over a drum groove which ends up with James slamming the door closed behind him and the next thing we see as an audience is the report that James has gone to rehab. The band would not play together at Presidio again.

The next little while is spent with Lars’ father where we listen to some pretty awful unused tracks, including the echo chamber track that absolutely bombs. “If I were your advisor, I would say ‘delete that’”. Lars and Kirk continue the therapy, even though James has been gone for three months, but we do get a discussion where Lars feels that Metallica could be over, saying that if James walked away he’s not fully sure he’d be surprised by the decision. There’s some footage of Dave Mustaine playing with the band while Lars discusses that he’s not sure that he was ever completely close with James but wants to help him to be the best that he can be. We spend some time with Kirk on a ranch in Northern California where he says that for better or for worse, things will sort themselves out.

One of the more iconic moments from this documentary begins at the 42:38 mark, where Dave Mustaine is invited to one of the therapy sessions. This is a really sad scene to me, with Dave feeling like he is a failure even through all of his success because of his departure from Metallica. He talks about a lot of the hardship that had occurred in his life thus far and it does make you feel for the guy a little. But he also remarks that “this isn’t done, because someone very important is not here”. Which I think all of this sets the tone for where we are at this point in the film. Kirk and Lars go to Jason’s gig with Echobrain. James has been away for six months at this point, and he checks in with the guys, saying that he needs time to repair his family before he’s ready to come back to being “James from Metallica” again. Lars is starting to let it all boil into anger.

We see James again at the 52-minute mark, meaning he’s been out of the film for about twenty minutes, but out of the band for almost a year. It’s been 14 months since filming began. The first discussion is whether or not to end the film. James feels as though there’s a ‘bigness’ to Metallica that scares him. Once James returns, there’s an imbalance and uneasiness between him and Lars. Another 6-8 weeks have passed before the band were ready to actually play together again, but the moment that they do start up again is here for all to see, and it is a good moment. We’re now at Metallica’s new studio, HQ. This is where every single album since St. Anger has been recorded, and it’s cool to see the place in a semi-unbuilt phase.

Next up, we get the band writing Frantic, with Kirk pitching “birth is pain, life is pain, death is pain” and the infamous “my lifecycle determines my deathstyle”. However, all the creative energy does start getting destroyed by James’ recovery schedule, which dictates that he can only work between noon and 4pm. James starts trying to ask the other guys not to listen to the work and make decisions without him (part of which I actually agree with), but Lars is very against this notion. This pretty quickly turns into Lars raging at James that he feels that James is controlling, and he fears that he’ll be pushed away the same way Jason was.

We get a bit of fun with the MetClub coming to an ‘open day’ at HQ and competing for a chance to play a song with Metallica. This is intercut with James and Lars saying that they aren’t happy playing with each other and wondering if there’s enough of a connection to make it worth continuing to hold on for something better.

There’s a fascinating discussion where the ‘no solos’ thing comes up. Bob fights for there to not be a rule over whether or not the solos will be in or out as a blanket, Lars pushes for there to not be any since he feels they’re dated and Kirk says “let’s see if they fit”.

Then they record some really stupid radio ads. Metallica hate it, but their manager points out that they’re doing it so the radio stations won’t turn against the next album, which inspires the opening line for Sweet Amber. There’s a great change of attitude as James messes around while recording some vocals. There’s a further discussion of maybe Jason would like to rejoin the band, but Bob Rock points out that he feels there will never be a truly permanent bassist in Metallica. We also hear the beginnings of a great song we’ll discuss very soon, currently under the title of Shadows of the Cross.

Then there’s a recap of the Napster controversy. Man, I cannot be bothered to recap this. Basically, while they were recording I Disappear, they found out a version of the song was already leaked on the radio because someone had put it onto a peer-to-peer file sharing site, specifically Napster. But through discovery from the lawyers involved, it was discovered that the artists made absolutely no money. While it was absolutely incorrect for someone as rich and famous as Lars Ulrich to be the face of this movement, a good point was raised that these sites would be potentially career killing for newly emerging artists and Lars went to put a stop to it. Nowadays, we have Spotify. And .001 of a cent per listen is so much better than nothing at all, right?

There’s discussions on touring which basically lead to James saying that he wants to do it, but he’s scared to do everything for the first time again. But from here, it starts turning into a more productive vibe. It’s very interesting to take note of the part where Kirk said that they had 30 songs written for the album, but it was decided that only songs that received votes from all 4 band members would make the final cut. We then hear Sweet Amber, All Within My Hands, St. Anger and a bunch of unused material. Cliff Bornstein, their manager, says that they should put out an album that made people feel that there was no let up. This reaches a clicking moment where they agree that there isn’t anything that can’t be made better from what they had shown off.

We get an auction scene where Lars sells off a lot of the paintings that he owns and were shown off at the start of the film. At this point, Phil’s therapy starts going off the rails and Metallica decide that there’s a finite point where he won’t be needed.

Our final half hour deals with MTV Icon and introducing a new member of the band. Lars admits that since they hadn’t actively been seeking a bass player in all of this time, people had thought Metallica couldn’t find anyone. There are some huge names involved in the audition process, though the movie spends a lot of time with Robert Trujillo. It seems fairly obvious from the get go that Rob fits in really well. We get a taste of Bellz with Twiggy Ramirez, Chris Wyse, Scott Reeder, Eric Avery and Pepper Keenan as well, but none really sit in the pocket the same way that Trujillo does. Lars makes an offer to pay Rob a million dollars to accept the offer to join the band, which he takes of course.

Phil is finally released from his long term contract with the band, which is a great moment of solidarity between Lars and James. They play at MTV Icon, decide on St. Anger as an album title, even though Lars wants to push for the album to be called Frantic, but is easily shot down by everyone else in the room. They film the St. Anger video at San Quentin, as well as playing a full show there where James explain what anger has meant to him over the years and why he’s very glad to have had the music in his life.

We end up with a shot of equipment being put into road cases, a discussion of making something angry with a positive energy and then it all ends up with a montage of Metallica playing Frantic on stage in huge stadiums in the summer of 2003.

Holy shit, this was a long watch! I’m glad I went through it again. It makes me so grateful to have everything that we have after S&M, knowing that I Disappear could have so easily been the last new song we ever heard from Metallica. They’re still here and kicking but only because they suffered through this together and came out stronger on the other side. Did this piss some people off? Yeah. Did they get an even bigger backlash because they were open about it? Yeah. Am I glad to have this though? God yes. To rewatch this on the day where If Darkness Had A Son was just released as the third single from an upcoming album, the 3rd released since Robert Trujillo joined 20 years ago? It’s insanity. Long live Metallica!

Offline Grappler

I actually just started watching that the other night on Netflix out of boredom.  I need to finish it sometime.  Having listened to St. Anger last week, I felt it might be an interesting watch again.

At the time when the movie came out, I hated it.  I hated seeing my heavy metal heroes reduced to a fractured, weird band that needed a therapist.  I was 24 at the time.  Nearly 20 years later, I can understand it more, having dealt with parenting, family issues, stress and anxiety in my own life.  I think the most telling moment of your review is James' comment where he can't be "James from Metallica" at the time.  He's gone on to state that about his sobriety - when they're on tour or active as a band, he needs to be JAMES FROM METALLICA, the big heavy metal frontman all the time.  But coming off of the tour, he has a hard time coming down from that mode and being "James, husband, father, guy who washes the dishes."  When I read interviews where he discussed that, it all kind of clicked for me and I understood why he was abusing alcohol and went to rehab.  That also is one of the reasons for their adjusted tour schedule that started afterwards - two weeks on tour, then two weeks off.  James would fly home and be the family guy, as opposed to spending months on the road where that transition was harder to handle. 

I'll try to finish watching the movie, but I got bored during the scenes with Lars and his dad.  Looking back, I can credit them for being so open and honest about where they were, even if it turned a lot of fans off.  It does help to explain why St. Anger came out the way it did.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 08:41:23 AM by Grappler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2023, 08:19:38 AM »

I totally agree. It's a god damn honest album. Doesn't mean it's good, but it's very honest. And the documentary made me appreciate it, even if I don't actually enjoy it.

It wasn't enough to raise the ratings in the Top 50, but for me, the DVD where they played the entire live album is ESSENTIAL.  I don't like the music, but I can't name more than a handful of bands that would have the balls to do something like that, especially with an album that controversial.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I actually just started watching that the other night on Netflix out of boredom.  I need to finish it sometime.  Having listened to St. Anger last week, I felt it might be an interesting watch again.

At the time when the movie came out, I hated it.  I hated seeing my heavy metal heroes reduced to a fractured, weird band that needed a therapist.  I was 24 at the time.  Nearly 20 years later, I can understand it more, having dealt with parenting, family issues, stress and anxiety in my own life.  I think the most telling of your review is James' comment where he can't be "James from Metallica" at the time.  He's gone on to state that about his sobriety - when they're on tour or active as a band, he needs to be JAMES FROM METALLICA, the big heavy metal frontman all the time.  But coming off of the tour, he has a hard time coming down from that mode and being "James, husband, father, guy who washes the dishes."  When I read interviews where he discussed, that, it all kind of clicked for me and I understood why he was abusing alcohol and went to rehab.  That also is one of the reasons for their adjusted tour schedule that started afterwards - two weeks on tour, then two weeks off.  James would fly home and be the family guy, as opposed to spending months on the road where that transition was harder to handle. 

I'll try to finish watching the movie, but I got bored during the scenes with Lars and his dad.  Looking back, I can credit them for being so open and honest about where they were, even if it turned a lot of fans off.  It does help to explain why St. Anger came out the way it did.

Maybe because I was older at the time, and I wasn't a "in at the start" fan of Metallica, but I LOVED SKOM.  I can't remember exactly why, but at the time I actually bought a copy for my therapist to watch (not because of the music or the band, but I think it was because of some of the discussions). I haven't watched it in a while, but I may revisit it at some point.

Another example of what I LOVE about Metallica even when I don't care for the music; you compare Metallica to bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, even Guns'n'Roses or Kiss, and they have the balls of elephants for airing the dirty laundry so bluntly.

Online Adami

I loved SKOM. I've seen it a bunch of times and I couldn't really tell you why. I saw it for the first time in a small theater in San Francisco.

Obviously Torben steals most of it with his few scenes, but it's just such a raw and unrelenting documentary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline billboy73

Haven't had a chance to comment on St Anger, so I will start there.  I'm early into college, and finally my all time favorite band has something new coming out.  I remember hearing some of the clips and hearing part of Frantic from the MTV Icon broadcast.  I was so pumped for St Anger.  Was I let down when I picked up the album? Yes and no.  I definitely enjoyed the aggression I was hearing.  Elements of the production work well with that.  I like that guitars and vocals are not super clean and pristine.  The looseness to all of it works for me.  The snare sound is definitely grating.  The songwriting is a mixed bag though.  A lot had changed in the hard rock/metal world since Metallica released an original album.  There are definitely some nu-metal influences here just as peers like Slayer and Anthrax had already been experimenting with.  There is a lot of that "drop-D" down-tuned open string, 3rd fret, 5th fret pattern in a lot of the riffing.  Here are some thoughts on the songs:

Frantic - Solid opener with some good riffs.  The lyrics never bothered me (searchin for donuts, bah na na  :laugh:).  The outro
             section is really cool too.  Had this at #43 on my top 50 list.

St Anger - Great main riff, and I like everything here.  It just goes on too long though.

Some Kind of Monster - There are a lot of good ideas here.  The "ominious" section is cool.  I like a lot of the intro stuff too. 
                                   Somewhere in between the edit version and the album version would be the sweet spot.  The edit
                                   version does sound really good though.

Dirty Window - My favorite song from the album.  #36 on my top 50.  Love the main riff and the "Projector" section is nice too.

Invisible Kid - Oh boy is this a slog...  Torben Ulrich said it best, I would delete that.  The outro part is okay...

My World - This one is okay.  I'd say it's middle of the road on this album.  I like the bridge section.

Shoot Me Again - Here is another one I that I enjoy.  The groovy main riff is nice, and I like the chorus section here.  Lars does
                          some nice stuff here too.

Sweet Amber -  This is a good track that made my top 50 at # 48.  Some cool riffs here, especially the bridge riff.  The
                        whammy pedal sounds on the pre-chorus work well too.

The Unnamed Feeling - Really like James' vocals on the verses, and overall this song is decent.  The middle instrumental
                                  section has some clunky bits though.

Purify - Ehh... not so much...  I agree that the bridge riff and outro part are good, but the rest is a dumpster fire.

All Within My Hands - Pretty interesting track that I like okay.  The pre-verse and verse sections are pretty
                                cool, and I like the main riff too.  I agree that the "kill" outro is a pretty fitting way to end this.     

Overall, I get what they were going for, especially after seeing Some Kind of Monster, but it just doesn't come off that great.  Still, I do like some of what is on offer here.  I don't revisit this too often, and it is definitely at the bottom of their catalog (I don't count Lulu).  Every once in a while it scratches an itch to hear a more modern, raw Metallica.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Bonus Chapter: St. Anger Live Material)
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2023, 11:36:27 PM »
Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite, Metallica! – 2016
Setlist: 1. The Four Horsemen. 2. Leper Messiah. 3. No Remorse. 4. Fade to Black. 5. Frantic. 6. Ride the Lightning. 7. Blackened. 8. Seek and Destroy. 9. Damage, Inc..
Some Kind of Monster EP – 2004
Selected Tracks: 5. Motorbreath. 7. Hit the Lights. 8. Some Kind of Monster (Edit).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYpinmVSqho
https://open.spotify.com/album/4t0oscNTGJkXiIB2uqZYWg?si=-hkTBOKqQzK_wNvY4GMLSg

St. Anger was officially released on June 5th, 2003. Oddly enough, though 4 singles would ultimately be released, none of them preceded the album’s launch date.
As we would see in the Some Kind of Monster film, Metallica unveiled their new bassist Robert Trujillo at MTV Icon, which took place on May 3rd of 2003. Fittingly, the first thing they played together was a career highlights medley, starting with Hit the Lights before moving into Sandman, Blackened, Creeping Death and closing with Battery. They would also debut Frantic that night. The band were certainly invigorated, seemingly miles beyond the people that we see in SKOM. The medley is truly awesome to behold, so check that out if you’re not familiar with it already. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N19SXG-5YfI)

Between the 18th and the 22nd of May, Metallica took over the Fillmore in San Francisco. Here, the boys would play songs that they hadn’t played in a very long time (either in full or at all), including Hit the Lights, Sanitarium, Phantom Lord, and Ride the Lightning. Rob’s diehard fan status had helped him to push the band into different directions with their setlist choices. Immediately following the release of the album, Metallica were headlining major festivals in Germany. They would then continue with a festival tour across Europe.

But what we’re here to talk about today is something a little unorthodox that would prove to be a great promotional move. On June 11th, Metallica played three intense club shows across three different venues in Paris, playing a different setlist at each venue. We have at least one song from each, but we shall talk about the first and third shows a little later.

For Record Store Day 2016, Metallica dug deep into the archives and decided to release the show from a venue called Le Bataclan, which started at 6pm that day. Unfortunately, you may now know this venue as being the site of a mass shooting at an Eagles of Death Metal concert in November of 2015. This release is dedicated to the French people with a liner note that reads “In your hands is a recording from back in ’03 at Le Bataclan, a legendary Paris club that unfortunately became even more legendary for all the wrong reasons this past November. We decided to release this particular show – which was one of three hot & sweaty next level club shows we played in Paris in one day on June 11th to promote the release of ST. ANGER – as a statement of love, support & solidarity pour la famille Metallica en France!

This won’t be the last time we talk about RSD2016, but we’re still about 13 years too early in the story to get there yet. For now, let’s discuss this awesome show.

This show opens with 4 China hits counting into The Four Horsemen. From the get-go, you can hear the band is in fine form, with James’ voice being very prominent. He’s hitting the high notes, Lars is holding time well and the guitars are crisp and aggressive (just the way we like ‘em!). The bridge features Rob and Kirk on backing vocals which sound great. The audience is charged up from the start and it makes the whole release feel strong. I have to say that, while I love another version of Horsemen that we’ll get to soon a little more, this is a ferocious performance that I think is a great opener to this show.

With a swell of feedback and a quick “bonjour” to the audience, we’re thrown straight into a Master of Puppets deep cut with Leper Messiah. This is a great cut that hadn’t been played all too often, only recently being brought back for the first time since 2002. Lars is tight on the double bass for the transition sections and this is where Rob’s bass tone is starting to stick out a little more in the mix, sounding very right to compliment James and Kirk’s tones. The bridge and solo are strong, with Kirk absolutely nailing it here. The transition fill back to the main riff makes me laugh a little, as for whatever reason, Lars doesn’t play it and instead James just kinda scats it, with the band coming in perfectly on beat and carrying on as if everything was normal.

James gives a little speech here, saying how it’s great to be back and with everything that’s happened in the years between visits to Paris, you can really feel the sincerity there. Not stopping with the deep cuts, the band launches straight into No Remorse. Hot damn is that intro heavy! I’m trying not to gush too much, but this is a really strong performance all up. They choose to skip over the middle solo and third verse, instead going from the second chorus into the closing bridge section. I actually prefer that these days, as I feel the middle section slows the song down unnecessarily and in a way that doesn't fit the song well. But, as much as No Remorse is awesome, they run the outro tail straight into the intro of Dyers Eve for a quick jam and that’s nothing short of fantastic.

Fade to Black is one of the only two staple songs in this setlist, but it’s no less fantastic. James’ clean tone on this is immaculate with a light shimmer to it. Those chorus riffs are huge too, but not as strong as the bridge. James hits this bridge with so much conviction and the harmony between the two vocal sections is beautiful. Kirk is amazing here, though he does improv a lot of this particular performance of the solo. Still, the ending line is tight and even if it is improvised, he does nail what he does with it.

Being that they were into full swing supporting St. Anger at the time, it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that we get at least one new song. It’s funny, when James sets up with the “who has the new album? Do you like it?” line, it almost sounds like the audience predominantly says “no!”. They jam a little bit; Lars plays a drum groove that sounds like the intro pattern to All Within My Hands and it sounds like it might be James that starts messing around with the Some Kind of Monster bridge. Then they introduce the song. “This is the French version of the song, this is called Frantique!”. And we’re off into an extra heavy version of Frantic. The snare drum is still set up like it is across the rest of this set, so that’s a plus. James seems to struggle with the verse pace a little bit, but otherwise, this is a pretty good performance. This is before Kirk added in solos to the song, but again, we’ve got a version of that coming up! The ending jam is a nice and heavy moment.

Up next, Ride the Lightning, which we recently exposed in KevShmev’s list as my favourite Metallica song. For the most part, I think this is a solid version of it. It’s definitely more rocking than last time we talked about a live version of this one (being just a verse and a chorus on Cunning Stunts), I think James sings it well enough here and Rob brings a solid weight to the track that I definitely appreciate. The bridge riff is still a favourite moment, as does the main part of Kirk’s second solo. But I think Kirk kinda drops the ball on this one a little bit and changes it up a little too much. Then the third verse sees James lose his place in the lyrics, start trying to make it up but ultimately admit that he forgot the words. It’s actually kinda funny, but I’ve always enjoyed the “wakened by horrid scream, free from this frightening dream” plot twist. Kinda fun to hear James say “there they are” when he gets back into the chorus at least.

The familiar sounds of the Blackened intro tape provides a moment of reprieve before an absolutely ripping version of the song comes to rip heads off. Lars’ double bass fill bringing in the second verse is insanely tight! Admittedly, I’m a little bummed that they changed the main riff’s tail a little bit from this point on, but when you’re taking it all in live, it doesn’t really matter. This absolutely rips. The only downside is I don’t really care for Rob’s backing vocals in the bridge. The harmony section is really tight, and while Kirk flusters the slower section of the solo, the fast part is really good. Sadly, the progressive change to the main riff that precedes the third verse on the album version is gone for good at this point.

We get a two song encore after this, starting up with a song that would remain the typical closer until the 2015 Lords of Summer Tour, Seek and Destroy. This is right around the time where they started tuning it down to D Standard (Same tuning as Sad But True and the studio version of Thing That Should Not Be), so this has a little bit of extra ballsiness too.  Kinda the same as I said with Sandman in the last reviews, Seek is starting to be one of those songs I can skip over easily because it’s such a staple that nothing all that different really happens with it all that often. The solo section here does absolutely rip though and it sounds as if James gets a few lead lines to himself. It’s something I do love about the Madly In Anger With the World Tour though, Metallica weren’t afraid to change up the status quo of their shows and ended up having 15 different songs close at least one show over the course of a year and a half.

Damage, Inc. is our ultimate closer here. We do get a false start though since Lars doesn’t wait for the guys to tune back to Eb Standard. But, once we get into the swing of things, this is a hell of a set closer. James doesn’t sing this one the best, missing a few lines and being a little flat, but they were still only just getting back into the game at this point and I’m happy to have those rough edges here and there. The bridge is fittingly heavy, and Kirk absolutely slays this solo. What a way to mark that they were back and meaning business!

Of course, you noticed that we have a few other songs to talk about. Interestingly, both were used as closing songs at the other two shows that day. Firstly, Motorbreath from the 1pm show at Le Boule Noire. This opens with James dedicating the song to the road crew for making three shows in one day happen! Then Lars starts up a fill. Interestingly enough, it almost feels more like a crowd hype fill than the original Motorbreath intro. Other than that? Yeah, nice. James sings it well, sounding a little less haggard than the main show, which makes sense being from the first show. Kirk shreds, everyone’s very on point. I think it’s another performance that’s better than the version found on Cunning Stunts for sure.

And then we have Hit the Lights from the 10pm show at Le Trabendo, which opens with the simplest of introductions. “Yeah, riff!” and straight into it. This is a very high energy performance from the guys, possibly the second best we have of them all from that day (my vote is on No Remorse as the number one). James’ scream on the “with all our SCREAMING” in the third verse reminds me a lot of where he ends up on the album version of Frantic, which sounds great. Kirk gives a blistering version of the ending solo, and that’s where we leave it for the live portion of this deep dive.

The Some Kind of Monster EP offers us one extra track that is worth a look. Some Kind of Monster (Edit). This version of the song significantly shortens the song, firstly removing half of the clean intro and then a lot of the opening jam elements from the album version, flowing from the main riff straight into the first verse. Sadly, it retains all four verses and the “yeah! yeah!” bridges between them. It removes most of the “are we the people?” pre-choruses though, which I think sets up a great duo of lines between the pre and the main chorus, forming a singular question between them. Sadly, this version also gets rid of the best part of the song for me, which is the bridge section. I like that it shortens the intro, that’s fine by me. I like that this version also has a replaced snare sound, which definitely makes this song a lot more listenable. But there are a few too many sections removed that I really like to make this worth calling the definitive version.

Well, there you have it. My look at the officially released material from the St. Anger era, or at least what I have here since there are some other great songs available on the other singles that I don't have. Anyway, up next, Death Magnetic. See you Friday.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »
Here are some thoughts on the Some Kind Of Monster movie:

It is really a tough watch for me seeing my favorite band on the brink of breaking up.  James has always been one of my favorite guitar players, and seeing him in the state he was in was tough.  I kind of agree with Jason on the having to hire a therapist bit.  A lot of the stuff with Phil makes me cringe, and I hated that my favorite band had to go through all that.  Thankfully they got through and are still making music!  Hopefully some of the Presidio material will get released at some point too.

That MTV icon show was pretty terrible, except for Metallica performing.  That medley was awesome (Lars got a little off on Battery though), and hearing a bit of Frantic for the first time was awesome.  I missed Jason, but I think they made a great choice with Rob.

I have bootlegs of the Fillmore shows and the France club shows, and I revisit those a good bit.  The band sounds great and they were playing great sets.  The Madly In Anger tour is where they started varying the setlists more from night to night.  They didn't play that much from the new album though.  Outside of Frantic and the title track, only a few other songs were played, and other than Dirty Window only a couple of times.  This tour also saw the live debut of Dyers Eve, which was pretty cool too (even if Lars doesn't attempt the double bass verses). 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2023, 10:11:26 AM »
I'd never heard the Bataclan show before - for some reason, I think I associated my dissatisfaction with St. Anger to the live show too.  "If the album sounds like that, they must be playing like shit," is probably what my 23 year old brain thought.  At the time, I put Metallica on the backburner and got into a lot of other bands and genres, like progressive metal and melodic death metal. 

I just checked out the Bataclan set and that is absolutely rocking.  Some great, energetic performances from them.  I liked how they broke out a lot of old songs again on the tour, since they weren't playing much of the new album live. 

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2023, 02:58:13 AM »
Hey guys, been a long day. Will do Death Magnetic tomorrow morning, AWST. Sorry!

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2023, 08:54:03 AM »
In 2017 I tore my achilles and was single at the time.  So my dad moved in for the first few weeks after the surgery, and we had some good bonding TV watching (I couldn't do much else).  'Some Kind of Monster' was one of the movies we watched, and converted my dad to a huge Hetfield fan after seeing his vulnerable side in the movie and doing regular dad stuff like like going to his daughters ballet class.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter Ten: Death Magnetic)
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2023, 10:27:26 PM »
Death Magnetic - 2008
Tracklisting: 1. That Was Just Your Life. 2. The End of the Line. 3. Broken, Beat & Scarred. 4. The Day That Never Comes. 5. All Nightmare Long. 6. Cyanide. 7. The Unforgiven III. 8. The Judas Kiss. 9. Suicide and Redemption. 10. My Apocalypse.
https://open.spotify.com/album/3bK58rVcWBh3V3vxMLzi0V?si=0QO6ecIHRBqTbPwDMXBTIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu46pbIEAtU

Metallica’s Madly in Anger with the World Tour lasted from November 3rd, 2003, to November 28th, 2004. They played 135 shows all over the world, including Australia and Asia, though the Latin American leg of October 2003 was unfortunately cancelled. Given the lengthy touring schedule, the band resolved to take 2005 as a recharge year, which only saw Metallica play two shows at AT&T Park, opening for the Rolling Stones.

But this break gave them time to re-evaluate their creative options. Would they continue to play in the style of St. Anger? Would they go back and make another melodic album like the Loads? Who was going to produce it? Was Bob Rock still their go to guy after everything they had gone through together in the last few years? Ultimately, they opted to begin the process with a new producer, Rick Rubin, in early 2006.

But this didn’t stop Metallica from being out on the road, with shows throughout 2006 and 2007 offering a release from the structure of the studio sessions as well as proving to be building blocks in their songwriting process. Rick Rubin had encouraged the band to go back to their roots and I like to think that playing the entire Master of Puppets album each night in 2006 helped them to get back to that. The touring cycle also saw Metallica visit South Africa for the first time.

With more festival appearances booked for 2008, something began to stir. On August 9th, at Metallica’s headline performance at Ozzfest, they debuted a new song called Cyanide and announced that their new album, which would be entitled Death Magnetic, had been completed, mixed, and mastered. Despite being the first song debuted live, the first single would be released 12 days later, being The Day That Never Comes. Five days later, they released My Apocalypse for streaming on their website. Cyanide was finally released on September 1st, only eleven days before the album’s release on September 12th.

Critically, the music on this album is heralded for Metallica sounding like Metallica again. Unfortunately, the album also has the reputation for being the worst produced in Metallica’s catalogue, which is admittedly very true. These tracks are absolutely brick-walled; just about everything is pushed to be far too loud in the mix and then mastered to be even louder. It’s for that reason that many fans (admittedly, myself included) prefer the mix released as DLC for the game Guitar Hero: World Tour (which also ported to Guitar Hero: Metallica, which released in 2009). Because I don’t want to yammer on too much about the production, I have linked the YouTube video with the Guitar Hero versions at the top in addition to the Spotify version, which I believe contains the original master. Please note, however, that this review will be dealing with the solos of Suicide and Redemption as served on the original album. I have found a version of the album that has corrected itself to use the correct album solos from this mix, however it should be noted that Guitar Hero released two versions of the track which contained an extended solo from either James or Kirk, instead of combining both like on the album. Thought we should clear that up just in case.

The first sounds we hear on Death Magnetic are a synthesized heartbeat, leading into a clean intro that slowly introduces the bass and an additional lead guitar that reminds me of the intro to Sad But True. This quickly ramps up into our main riff for the album’s opener, That Was Just Your Life. This song follows in the footsteps of songs like Battery and Blackened as a thrashing album opener. James maintains a frantic pace with his vocals, with the extra “I deny” at the end of each verse reminding a lot of the “never” verse endings from Blackened. I think this is a hell of a way for Metallica to re-embrace their thrash roots for the first time since Justice, offering up so many of the different things that made the 80s albums so great, but with a modern twist. For the first time since 1991, we have Metallica rocking in E standard. I think the transition riff with the progressive harmony is awesome, Kirk’s main solo here is decent, but I think the best feature of this song all up is the harmonised solo that leads us back into the final chorus. This song is awesome, and actually made its way to number 5 on my top 50 countdown.

The End of the Line starts with an intro that definitely harkens back to For Whom the Bell Tolls. The structure of the verses vocally reminds me of Creeping Death too. Meanwhile, the riffs are punchy as hell! It’s another banger that does the “we’re back” thing really well. There’s an extra line of vocal on the Guitar Hero version that isn’t at all featured on the original album, as well as a few extra guitar dubs that I haven’t heard before, which make this song a little bit stronger in a few places. The breakdown after the second chorus is another great moment here, with the bass and both guitars locking into the same riff in different positions and creating an awesome harmony. Admittedly, this isn’t one of Kirk’s finest solos for the album, but that’s kinda the only real downside to this song. Even the clean bridge is a great moment. Another huge song down and we’re still just getting started.

Broken, Beat & Scarred is a song that I feel sums up the transition between St. Anger and Death Magnetic into a great singalong lyric. It also just kicks ass, if we’re being totally honest. The main riff of this one walks the line between Metallica and Tool for me in all the right ways. This lyrics deal with having the strength to get back up when everything’s trying to hold you down and calling to show your scars. I think the interesting thing about this particular song is that, because we have the full demos, we can see that the final version of the chorus is actually inferior to what they had originally. The instrumental section of this song is insane. James’ riff supporting Kirk’s solo is nasty in all the right ways and I think Kirk is on fire for this solo, I even love the way he does the divebombs and allows for the rhythm to shine in a few spots. The second riff that comes out of this section before the final chorus (and then revisited after the chorus) is strong too. I would definitely recommend checking out the demo, because there are a few alternate lines that could’ve served the song very well. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUu7dArduTg)

The Day That Never Comes is really a sequel to both Fade to Black and One instrumentally, and yet holds its own as a damn powerful song. James’ lyrics paint the picture of just waiting for things to get better, knowing they probably never will. That is until the final lines of the song, which suggest to me that the subject decides to stand up for himself and make things better. While the melodic section of this song is great, I think this song’s biggest strength is the instrumental back half, where James and Kirk just go at it with riff after riff and some tight harmonies. This solo contains one of Kirk’s best licks on the album and a little callback to Motorbreath if you listen closely to the rhythm guitar during that big moment in the solo. Fantastic song! I hope we get something like this on 72 Seasons in a few weeks.

As the highest ranked of the two songs that made KevShmev’s official countdown, All Nightmare Long is a song that most of us are likely well aware of. And for good reason, coz this song absolutely slaps. This is the third song in Metallica’s HP Lovecraft series, this time being about the Hounds of Tindalos, which as James explains was a “Crazy mindf**k about these wolves which hunt you through your nightmares and the only way to escape is to stay with Angels. You can’t even escape in your sleep”. This song is just massive and dark. It’s one of the heaviest songs on the album. The Guitar Hero version uses a very different effect at the start of the verses which makes me feel a little uneasy in all honesty. This is the song that I made mention of in the Some Kind of Monster movie review as having started life as Shadows of the Cross, and honestly, this is just way better. Everything in this song is evil sounding, especially that riff after Kirk’s first solo and the descending patterns after the second. The chorus is perfect for the song (my favourite of the Lovecraft songs, in fact), I love the way the bridge cuts out to start the final chorus with that sharp breath in. Everything here is just next level. It’s almost like what St. Anger could have been with a few solos and a better snare drum.

Next up, Cyanide. This one is a great song with a lovely bounce from Rob and Lars. Everything about this song is great, from James’ vocals to the main riff to the use of Morse code! Kinda like Rush’s YYZ, Cyanide’s intro uses Morse code for its rhythm, opening with the much more well known . . . - - - . . . pattern that spells out SOS. We drop back into a clean bridge after a transition that feels pretty proggy to me. This is an ominous section too, with the heaviness dropping in and out. This is another fantastic Kirk solo for Death Magnetic, evolving perfectly with the tension of the rhythm section behind it (which is also freaking awesome). We culminate all of that into a short harmony section and then we’re back into one last reset into the final pre-chorus and chorus. It’s those resets all throughout that feel so fresh with this song in all honesty. I feel this one really should have been the lead single rather than Day, because to me, this song features all the different things that make Death Magnetic so great.

We get a beautiful piano and string reprieve here, before we open into The Unforgiven III. This is the final entry for now into the Unforgiven series, and this might actually be my personal favourite of the three, even though I ranked the original higher. I think this song has a hell of a lot to offer, with a killer main riff and a vocal performance that sounds more emotional than the original. The bridge is a deeply moving moment, serving as the ultimate climax to the trilogy. James’ vocals on the album kills me every time, though the sentiment behind this will be even more haunting in a few reviews time. Kirk slays the solo here too! The only problem with this track as I see it is that there’s no Western sound effect at the start of the track, making it the odd one out of the trilogy in that regard.

The Judas Kiss is a hell of an intro to kick us back out of the ballad territory. This is another hugely badass song with even more great riffs to bang your head to. It’s a really different track for the album, feeling right alongside it’s counterparts but also having a very different energy that I can’t quite describe properly. Here, the inverse of what I said about Broken, Beat & Scarred’s chorus comes true, where the original chorus of this song was pretty lousy and the album version absolutely decimates it in every way. Everything about this song rules out loud, including the nice little vocal around in the middle of the solo! The bridge here is my second favourite of the entire album, I love the way James sings it and the alteration to the bridge riff absolutely sells it. Again, the Guitar Hero version is slightly different, with an extra vocal layer or two, especially felt within the choruses and the bridge. Damn, this song kicks ass!

Now, up to this point, …And Justice For All had been the final album to contain an instrumental with To Live Is To Die (even if it does have that spoken word passage). With as much of an 80s throwback that Death Magnetic has been so far, it only seems right that Suicide and Redemption breaks the 20-year instrumental drought. This is really a medley of a lot of the extra riffs that didn’t make it to the album put together, but it’s got a lot of greatness to it. While the studio version fades in, I like the Guitar Hero version that opens with Rob’s bassline setting the pace for those stabs. The main riff is a bit on the meh side, though I do like the first bridge that it throws in between the two main riff sections. Where the song really starts to pick up for me is when it dives into that clean interlude with Kirk’s beautifully melodic lead and the harmonised section. This then leads into a re-intro, a nice dark lead from James and then an amazing double solo, featuring James’ solo for Death Magnetic, which is an absolute banger. The riff following this is really cool with a nice tight pace. The interesting thing is that this song actually contains a bit of a drum solo for Lars, with a whole riff towards the end of the song being structured around a series of drum fills. It’s kinda amazing. The thing that really lets this song down in my opinion is that the ending feels very stretched. Bar Mercyful Fate on Garage, Inc., Suicide and Redemption currently holds the record as being Metallica’s longest song, and it feels a little undeserved. All the same, a commendable effort.

My Apocalypse is our album closer this time around and it’s my second highest rank song from the album. Hell, I think this might be my second favourite album closer after Fixxxer. Why? I feel like this song takes a lot of the stakes of the album and wears them on its sleeves.  This feels tense, it’s almost exploding all throughout! James gives one of his best vocal performances of the album in this song and I think the entire mid-section between the second chorus and third verse is actually the best section of the album. From Kirk’s proggy riff to the staccato bridge and the solo to the darkness of that harmonised riff and the final bridge section of the album that marks my favourite bridge of the entire album, I think this song just kicks so much ass. I saw this at that show in 2010 and I’d kill to see them play it again.

There we go, that’s Death Magnetic. Here’s the part where I risk losing a hell of a lot of respect for these writeups, but this is my (PERSONAL OPINION ALERT!!!) favourite Metallica album. Maybe it’s because I got into the band at the time this was released, and this album’s tour was my first proper concert. Maybe it just ticks a whole lot of my boxes in the right ways. Maybe it’s my personal opinion and I just straight up love the album?

“But Deadeye, all the songs are over 7 minutes long, the album is too long”. Yeah, but all of that is filled with content that warrants being there. I called out a lot of songs off St. Anger as not providing enough content to warrant the length, as I did with the ending of Suicide and Redemption. The rest of this album is packed with great riffs, awesome vocals with fresh lyrics and Kirk shredding like there’s no tomorrow which almost feels like a compensation for the lack of shredding on St. Anger. Rick Rubin pushed Metallica to get back to their roots for this album, and by god did they succeed. This is a total 10 for me.

Infancy, Progression, Ascension, Domination, Supremacy, Dilution, Continuation, Destruction, Reinvention. I feel like Metallica reinvented themselves here and got back to what they did best.

How do you feel about Death Magnetic? I know you probably don’t love it anywhere as much as I do, but where do you stand with it all?

I’ll be back during the week to discuss Beyond Magnetic, which contains four extra tracks recorded during the Magnetic sessions but left unreleased.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2023, 09:59:03 AM »
I have been hot and cold on Death Magnetic.  When it came out, I loved it - from the first listen to The Day that Never Comes, where the middle stomping breakdown (Love is a four letter word) sounds like Metallica again.  They sounded tighter and the songs were much better than St. Anger.  I hated "The New Song" when it debuted live in 2006, but was glad to hear them break it apart and make more cohesive songs with it on the album.  There are great riffs all over the place and I love the faster tempos.  I do think some of the song lengths could have been trimmed and Rick Rubin's involvement didn't do much for me aside from reminding the guys to get back in the headspace of how they wrote songs in the 1980's. 

The production ruins it, which is why I have periods where I feel cold towards the record and don't want to listen to it.  But again, this thread has me revisiting it and even with the crappy production, I'm enjoying the songs again.  I need to get a copy of the 2016 remix, which they adjusted for streaming/digital purchase. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2023, 09:28:56 AM »
I am firmly in the Death Magnetic is a great Metallica album camp, production aside.  I can remember watching a lot of the studio updates and stuff.  When they debuted Cyanide live, I really liked what I heard.  I remember reading pre-album release reviews and the album being described as the missing link between Justice and the Black Album, and that really got me excited.  I think that is a very good description of the album.  The songs are longer and progressive like Justice, and there are a few more melodic moments that would fit on the black album.  Unlike St Anger, nothing feels overly long.  The songs have enough twists and turns to keep me engaged.  This album is chocked full of great riffs and Lars has some great drum moments as well.  If I can enjoy the original Vapor Trails mix, then I can enjoy the Death Magnetic album mix, but holy ear fatigue Batman!  Why did they mix it so hot!  Let's get to the songs:

That Was Just Your Life - The intro is not bad, but man, when that main riff kicks in...  I can still remember hearing this for the
                                     first time and being blown away!  Classic James riff!  It's a great album opener with a lot of awesome
                                     parts. 

The End of the Line - This is probably my least favorite song on the record, but I still do enjoy this one.  The clean bridge is
                                really nice.

Broken Beat & Scarred - Love the intro and the picking on that verse riff is nice and intricate.  The melodic "rise, fall..." part in
                                    the verses is great too.  This one has a solid chorus as well.  It has a ripping Kirk solo in the awesome
                                    middle section.

The Day That Never Comes - This is a solid Metallica ballad, with a great vocal from James.  The "love is a 4 letter word..."
                                           section is a great transition to the instrumental workout in the back half.  There is so much to like
                                           in that back half.  Killer stuff!

All Nightmare Long - My favorite song on the album.  Love the main riff!  This one has a great chorus, and the middle section
                               with riffs from "The New Song" slays.  What a banger here!

Cyanide - Pretty cool track with a Wherever I May Roam vibe, especially with that chorus riff.  The middle section is solid too.

The Unforgiven III - I didn't really like this track at first, but it has grown on me over the years.  The intro into the clean guitar
                              is really nice and sets the stage for something epic.  I do love the "forgive me" section and where it picks
                              up to the end.

The Judas Kiss -  My 2nd favorite track on the album, and it has so many good riffs.  The "bow down" chorus and riff is so
                         good!  The middle section is great, with a lot of twists and turns, and this is my favorite Kirk solo on the
                         album.  Just great stuff!

Suicide & Redemption - The return of an instrumental, and I think this one flows really well.  The melodic section stands up
                                   with the ones from the past, and that riff where it picks up post-solos in the outro is indeed, awesome.

My Apocalypse -  Awesome album closer that brings the speed and aggression.  That old-school Kirk riff is so good, and the
                         staccato bridge with James spitting venom is killer.  Great way to close a great album.

I love this record!  I don't love the production, and hopefully with a reissue they will clean that up, but the songwriting is tremendous. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2023, 09:35:14 AM »
I also saw them for the first time (finally!) on this tour in Charlotte, and here is the setlist:

That Was Just Your Life

The End of the Line

For Whom the Bell Tolls

The Four Horsemen

One

Broken, Beat & Scarred

Cyanide

Sad but True

Turn the Page

The Judas Kiss

The Day That Never Comes

Master of Puppets

Fight Fire With Fire

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Encore:

Too Late Too Late
(Motörhead cover)

Phantom Lord
(dedicated to Ron McGovney)

Seek & Destroy

What a great show!  I was stoked that they played The Judas Kiss, and Phantom Lord was a nice surprise.

Online Adami

« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2023, 08:54:02 AM »
So for this thread I went back and listened to DM for the first time in years.

Yea...I do not like this album. Obviously the production is bad, but so is the playing. James is mostly fine on guitar and Rob is there I guess, but Lars sounds awful and so does Kirk. James' singing is also really meh a lot of the time.

I think in most of the songs there's 1-3 moments or riffs/melodies that I genuinely like. Usually an intro, sometimes a vocal part, and often just one riff. So the album isn't 100% devoid of anything I can enjoy, but I just cannot get into these songs.

As I type this I realize that the instrumental must've been deleted from my album at some point. Not sure why. I don't remember liking it much either though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Metallica (Chapter 10.5: Beyond Magnetic)
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2023, 09:51:29 PM »
Beyond Magnetic – 2011
Tracklisting: 1. Hate Train. 2. Just a Bullet Away. 3. Hell and Back. 4. Rebel of Babylon.
[url]https://open.spotify.com/album/6umaXKrRVHRgUH7nsxM9eg?si=U9BMPuzeQOWuA_uD3DdmAw/url]

Jumping ahead a little here, post tour for Death Magnetic. We have a hell of a lot of live material to talk about in the next few weeks, given that there are 4 commercially available shows from the World Magnetic Tour, plus the FanCan from Copenhagen, plus the two Australian exclusive EPs (which I plan to cover on Monday night in preparations for going off to Melbourne for Megadeth and Trivium concerts!).

Anyway, all this is to say that we’re slightly overshooting where we are actually up to chronologically. Following the World Magnetic tour, more about that in the coming weeks, Metallica went back on tour with The Big 4 with their colleagues and fellow thrash metal founders Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer. This took them across Europe and included a few dates in America. Metallica then went off to India and Abu Dhabi before finishing the year with a massive celebration with four nights at the Fillmore. This was it. 30 years of Metallica being summed up across four shows that were jampacked with guest performers and deep cuts. And as if these shows weren’t already special enough, Metallica also pulled out four extra songs from the Magnetic sessions that hadn’t made the album. Lars made the promise that these songs would be “coming soon to an inbox near you” to the club members in attendance, and on December 13th, 2011, they were made publicly available for download on iTunes under the name Beyond Magnetic.

Here is the original statement that was put out about this release, which I feel summarises the whole release rather well.
“During the Death Magnetic album sessions in 2007 and 2008, we originally recorded 14 songs. When it came time to pick the songs for the final album, we decided on 10 songs that you've all come to know over the last three years... Some of you may have heard bits and pieces of those other songs on 'Mission Metallica' (remember 'Mission Metallica'?!) or heard rumors about them during the recording process, and wondered, 'What ever happened to those other four songs???.' We kept them in the vault and decided to pull them just for this special celebration, so here are the four leftover tracks from the Death Magnetic sessions. They are ROUGH mixes, unfinished to their original degree of mixing from March '08. These four songs were released as a gift to our closest fans, the members of our Fan Club, to enjoy. Now they're being made available to you.”

And now, 12 years on, here are my thoughts on this EP.

Hate Train is a thunderous opening to the proceedings. These opening few riffs are huge, leading into a Kirk solo that should be familiar to anyone who followed the MetOnTour videos back in the day. The verses come out swinging with some great vocals from James. The chorus here is a nice melodic break, though I feel James is a little out of his wheelhouse vocally here. The riff that opens the verses feels a lot like a sequel to Fuel stylistically to me. The instrumental opens up with an awesome lick from Kirk before pounding out a few very cool riffs that I wish had been a part of the main album. Lyrically, I’m not a huge fan of this one, but I really like it instrumentally. I do really like the change to the final chorus and I love James’ final high note here. I think this could’ve been on the album with a different lyric. The soloing here is better than End of the Line, and some of the riffs here are a real shame to miss out on.

Second, Just a Bullet Away. This opens with a really intriguing intro before hitting you over the head with the main riff. This is heavy, this is dark, this is damn near proggy. I like the lyrics a lot here too, painting a picture of walking the line of suicide. It pairs really well with the dark riff. The choruses work to paint the desperation of the situation in a great way. Now, the best section of the song is definitely the instrumental section, featuring a beautiful clean riff and some of the coolest guitar harmonies that could’ve been featured on the album. Following this, we get a solo from James before the closing verse and chorus. I actually really like the way it just cuts out on the last word, being “stop the voices in my head”. This one is possibly my favourite song from the EP, though I’m not sure where it would fit onto Death Magnetic.

Next is a song that takes a bit more of a ballad form, Hell and Back. This is the song that saw the most live performances, being played over the course of much of the Black Album's 20th anniversary in 2012. There’s an uneasy nature to the clean riff, but the release into the chorus is nothing short of cathartic. Lyrically, this song is about the temptation of the dark side, at least in my interpretation. The verses and choruses are already a banger, but the bridge with its simplistic riff is really powerful, and coupled with the second riff here, it’s possibly my third favourite bridge of the era. Kirk’s solo is a bit of a meh spot, but all up this is a total banger, and I can see why they chose this as the song they toured with.

Rebel of Babylon is the closer of this collection and it’s an intriguing one. This one was inspired by the life of Layne Staley. The clean intro verse is a nice touch, but the main riff here is much better. I really like the pre-chorus line, “let this dark shine, don’t let it burn out tonight”. The chorus has an odd feel to it, though I do find it to be a very powerful chorus all the same. But, it’s the instrumental section where I feel this song really gets to shine. The evil sounding chords beneath Kirk’s soloing is an awesome moment that leads into an evil harmony that then leads into another heavy riff that I believe was once a fully fleshed-out bridge section. Then we make our way out with another verse and another chorus. Not the most cohesive song here, but certainly one that’s worth checking out just for that harmony section.

I used to wonder if there was any songs here that I would trade for anything on Death Magnetic, but I can honestly say on this listen-through that I don’t believe there is. Death Magnetic remains my favourite album to this day, and I don’t know that there is anything here worth trading for anything off of it.
But that’s just me. What do you guys think? Anything you’d prefer to trade? Let me know what you’d have put on your version of Magnetic and get ready for a tour de force through the many live albums released from this touring cycle. We’ve got a lot to go!